View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 87 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3777828384858687888990919297137 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 3633
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

This video is convincing me to switch to the Evo for now.

I might as well try it as the huge screen is a nice welcome although HTC usually do not make great displays like the Droid or the Pre (Sony Screen). I don't know why it still uses a 65k color screen, but the huge resolution looks great!

I've played with a HD2 before and I was shocked to find out it used a 65k screen.

That seems to be the only factor holding me back, but I'm sure they used a "lower" quality screen to keep the price at $200 with a contract.

I'm excited to use the Android OS as it has improved a lot since my experience with 1.5

I still love webOS and will defend it at any costs but they need new hardware for Sprint users.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyorke View Post
    He then also told me they are testing 4g in the area that my office is located so I can possibly try out the 4g. I am pretty excited just to see what it is like. Not sure I would want to switch from my Pre but it will be fun to play with for a day or so.
    Make sure you're outside when you use the 4G - I hear building penetration on it is nearly non-existent.
    ^ thanks for the review of the phone, my friend has an HD2 and that thing is god awful slow, the screen is awesome but i don't know if it's wimo or what but it's slower than my pre.

I'm debating on upgrding my work phone to the Evo, i have a pre as my personal phone, but i'm not wasting an upgrade on a pre. My only question w/ the evo is it's ability to multitask.

people online show videos of multitasking but they are all just videos of people saying look i have 20 apps open. but they don't actually show how it works. can anyone send me a video link of someone actually multitasking so i can compare it to my pre. i guess webOS spoiled me too much lol

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    And the Evo has already been rooted.

HTC Evo 4G rooted in record time (video) -- Engadget

Long live the Android community!
    There is a lot of comparison to the Pre and Evo, most of it is silly.

They are two completely different phones. Simply holding each in your hand will show that they are really marketed at two different customers.

I think the way things have worked out for Sprint will hurt both the Evo and the Pre. I have no doubt that Sprint will sell a boat load of Evo's and it will be considered the first real match to the iphone (until they release their new iphone).

The problem lies in who bought Pre's and why they bought them. I have never been interested in Palm. I wasn't even interested in smart phones (mostly because sprint didn't have any good ones, in my opinion). Then the Pre came to light and I got all excited because Sprint was finally getting a "cool" phone.

I bought one on launch day and have come to love WebOS. I don't really love the Pre, and only bought it because it was the only option. Now the Evo is coming out and I think a lot of people like me are going to switch. Not because there is anything wrong with the Pre, but because what we wanted all along was a Sprint Iphone.

The way things came about will effect both the Pre and the Evo. Many Pre's thrown to the side for the new Evo. Many new Evo owners finding frustration in things they miss about their Pre.

At least that is how I feel at the moment. I have been watching every youtube video I can about android and HTC sense to ease my mind about bailing on WebOS. At least I can hope for a tablet that will allow me to keep using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    There is a lot of comparison to the Pre and Evo, most of it is silly.

They are two completely different phones. Simply holding each in your hand will show that they are really marketed at two different customers.

I think the way things have worked out for Sprint will hurt both the Evo and the Pre. I have no doubt that Sprint will sell a boat load of Evo's and it will be considered the first real match to the iphone (until they release their new iphone).

The problem lies in who bought Pre's and why they bought them. I have never been interested in Palm. I wasn't even interested in smart phones (mostly because sprint didn't have any good ones, in my opinion). Then the Pre came to light and I got all excited because Sprint was finally getting a "cool" phone.

I bought one on launch day and have come to love WebOS. I don't really love the Pre, and only bought it because it was the only option. Now the Evo is coming out and I think a lot of people like me are going to switch. Not because there is anything wrong with the Pre, but because what we wanted all along was a Sprint Iphone.

The way things came about will effect both the Pre and the Evo. Many Pre's thrown to the side for the new Evo. Many new Evo owners finding frustration in things they miss about their Pre.

At least that is how I feel at the moment. I have been watching every youtube video I can about android and HTC sense to ease my mind about bailing on WebOS. At least I can hope for a tablet that will allow me to keep using it.
    I am going to be demoing an Evo for 30 days and then I will make a decision. However, during those 30 days, your pre will still function as a PDA. It just can't use 3G.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I hate to say it but I agree with you. I LOVE WebOS but the hardware is very lacking! I was hoping Palm and Sprint would release WebOS in a new form factor. I am still not sure what I will do though. I have never used an android phone. But you are certainly right that people will miss out on some things from WebOS with the EVO

PS get ready to be flamed LOL J/K
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewebcrafter View Post
    Unfortunately, Palm is just way too slow developing devices that will grab peoples attention
    This is a major problem. WebOS is a nice start but it's unpolished in many areas and unfinished.

Palm has to be better and offer more software and hardware wise at least at launch so it can weather all the other competition. There have been about 10 Android devices released or announced in the last month. From htc, LG, samsung, motorola, and others. That's the issue Palm has to compete with 10 phones all trying to up the bar all without the estalishing a blockbuster userbase like apple did. apple can do it for now cause they built their market and they have a robust app store. Palm doesn't so there's little draw. And it's not just hardware. webos has some issues, like the music player, some of the google apps like email, youtube, are not robust. You can't even log into your youtube account. And there though you can customize many thing there isn't enough detail in many areas. Like why can't they get contacts pictures to sync with google without distorting? Regardless i think HP needs to take Palm and immediately fix issues like this in webos software, have the best hardware, and if i were them i'd find 100 major websites and companies and would fund the development of apps. Like, shazam, espn, docs2go, photoshop, etrade, skype, major cable companies, etc. Cause novelty apps they release now only impress the hobbyists not the majority of consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    They are two completely different phones...
    Generally speaking I completely disagree. I'd say they are generally the same phone more or less. Both are advanced smart phones which allow you to take pictures and movies, browse the web, have integrated e-mail and calendar support, listen to music and movies, view PDF and Office documents, run and purchase thousands of applications, run GPS software, view Google maps, etc.....
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

Since I will be switching to the HTC EVO on June 4th, I figured I'd get a newer Palm Pre to keep on the side, or even sell if need be. My current Pre has been working fine except for a dead pixel on the top right corner of the screen and now the top-right button decided to not depress anymore. I tried getting the phone replaced via calling them, but since I have had 3 replacements over the phone already, they are requiring that I go to the store to have it diagnose and replaced there.

1. I know the button issue can be resolved at a store but is the dead pixel enough of a reason for them to replace the phone?

[Edited by moderator]
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/24/2010 at 03:09 PM.
    One dead pixel, in my experience, isn't considered a replace the phone level "problem." However YMMV.

Trying to screw them into giving you new phone or just being completely dishonest isn't cool and completely against the spirit of these forums. Take the phone in, get the button fixed and shelf the phone until your trial is over. As far as TEP goes it is a per handset deal. They are insistent about that.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 05/24/2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I am curious as to how many people will get rid of their pre and get the EVO because it failed to meet their expectations (ex. bad hardware, no flash, etc). The EVO 4g looks pretty good and has already gotten great reviews. SO the question is will you be getting the EVO this summer?
    Moderator:

Any way to combine this oft repeated question into ONE thread. No offense, but it's getting old already.
    A thread about this topic again?
    i couldn't find any threads on this?
    My biggest complaint about the Pre is the lack of usable applications. How many half naked girl programs..... oh waht that isn't a good one to use. How many BS applications of beer pong, pizza places, etc can you use. I want something that is going to help me with work and make things easier. I know it is new, blah blah blah. It has been out for a year by now there should be some apps like the Iphone or Android offer however it is limited and to be honest not productive things more like things to play with and have fun. When I had my WinMo phone I actually used the logmein app from my phone to repair a server while fishing in the middle of a lake in Virginia and the server was in Upstate NY. That is functionality. I love the phone don't get me wrong but I have been waiting for almost a year to see apps that I can use in a day to day world not just to play with while I wait for my wife to get out of work(I'm not talking about the naked woman ones either). I am waiting for the Evo at least then I will be able to use my LogMeIn account again and have a bazillion apps to pick from with Android. I tried to stick it out but out of all the phones I have owned from Windows Mobile to Android's this one probably sucks the most as far as apps. Just wanted to voice my opinion on why I am switching to the EVO when it becomes available.
    party pooper
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    you know it took android almost two years to become popular.
    maybe but that's a hard sell to tell someone, "it will take two years before we get a ton of support but we want you to sign an exclusive two year contract to use our phone for the time when we don't have all the support."

I think a lot of people would say. Ya know i'll just check back with you in two years and see if you've stepped your game up.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Hey guys,

Since I will be switching to the HTC EVO on June 4th, I figured I'd get a newer Palm Pre to keep on the side, or even sell if need be. My current Pre has been working fine except for a dead pixel on the top right corner of the screen and now the top-right button decided to not depress anymore. I tried getting the phone replaced via calling them, but since I have had 3 replacements over the phone already, they are requiring that I go to the store to have it diagnose and replaced there.

1. I know the button issue can be resolved at a store but is the dead pixel enough of a reason for them to replace the phone?

[Edited by moderator]
    God, moderators in this site can be a tad paranoid. How is this post related to the Evo in any way? Just because I mentioned I am getting one does not make it the premise of my topic.

Now I won't find the answer I need, thanks!

PS - This thread is a cluster****, might as well lock or delete it. Makes no sense to combine every thread together. I know some of the WebOS fanatics are complaining and whining, but they need to get over it. That's how forums work.