View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 82 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3272777879808182838485868792132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 3633
    No 4G in my area, so it's ridiculous to pay $10 a month extra for it. My Pre is a great tool. It has quirks, but it has unbelievable abilities and more to come. Plus it looks sexy and is great!

If there were no Pre, I would look into the EVO. But there is.
    well even if you purchase the EVO and they announce the PRE 2 you can return the evo for 30 days. so from now to that there is 6 weeks. I mean if by the 4th of July they havent said a word about a new phone forget this year. From when we heard about the evo and other phones it comes out 4-6 months later. I rememeber reading about the evo in January so its out 6 months later. so any word we here about a webos phone the release is probally 4-6 months later.
    Two reasons... First, I love my Pre, and I know that even better things are coming. With the changes announced for webOS to be here around the Fall, the OS is going to be incredible. It'll finally be at par feature-wise with every other mobile OS out there (except for the physical lack of a compass) and it'll finally hit its performance stride.

Second, with HP's backing, the hardware will be incredible. I'm sure the next smartphone will be great just with HP's financial and distribution resources; toss in their design and manufacturing resources for future iterations, and the sky's the limit. And then there are alternative form factors such as tablets, which will simply build on what's great about webOS on smaller devices.

Things will be a bit slow over the summer. But once the HP sale is final and the money starts flowing in, things'll get exciting fast. One just needs a little patience to make it through the EVO and iPhone hype.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    i will get the htc evo, for now, u know something new to play with.. but as soon as palm comes out with new hardware... "ill b back"
    You ask why stay. I ask why not.
    I love my sprint pre....
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I am staying purely for WebOS. I get to drive all kinds of phones and I just love the interface. Also, things will only get better.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    besides being "newer" and having a different OS with an alternative form factor, what's so special about the evo.

Ya, I would like to know that too?

People that want/are going to switch, please tell us what is soo special about the EVO.

Don't say hardware, as the AT&T Palm Pre Plus is as rock solid as any other phone.
    I'm staying because I really like my phone a lot... like this community... like homebrew... like the webOS... and I don't think upgraded specs make a lick of difference in terms of what you can do at this point... maybe a year down the road... but not right now.

I don't see the point in upgrading every year... especially when a lot of my phone's potential hasn't even been tapped yet.
    Good luck with the 4-5 hour battery life. I hope HTC includes several power adapters in the box. See the linked AP review.

Are you kidding me, after owning the Pre I would say that i'd be the last person going around bragging about the Pre's battery life compare to another phones.

Just about everyone here that writes about their experiences with the Pre always mentions how manys touchstones they have or how they always keep their phone on it.

As far as i'm concerned bad battery life is part of owning a smart phone with the exception of a few such a blackberry, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    My bigest problem with Android is that you will have the best phone for about a onth or two and then a new update comes out and you have to wait. Then by the time you get it you will have it for about a month or two and then another update is on the way. At that point you might not even get the update because a new better and more hyped phone comes out and Google forgets about your phone.
    I think the carriers and the manufacturer are more responsible for delays, not Google. Verizon and T-Mobile are very good with Android updates. But Sprint is slow, just recently updating Moment and Hero, when it was promised a while ago. There could have been stability problems though. AT&T says it will update it's ONE Android phone in quarter 3 but there's a maintenance update available now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I'm mainly staying because the Pre still works well.

I just got someone's android phone and going through rooting it and putting a custom ROM is seems much more tedious than webOS homebrew with webOSQI and Preware.

I haven't done it yet but almost there. Steps:
    Android: adb>goldcard>flash>backup>load rom
    Requirements: AndroidSDK,microSD,flash images,drivers,
    vs.

webOS: webOS Quick Install> Preware>save/restore>load UberKernel
    Requirements: JAVA

c'monnnn our Homebrew has made it so much better!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    You guys do know a rooted Android device tethers just fine right?
    It tethers, but it doesn't act as a wifi hotspot like the Pre. I'm also not super comfortable rooting my device. I read about how there might be something hardware-wise on the Evo that would stop tethering.

I'll wait and see what's up with the Evo, but I'll probably still just run my Pre into the ground and see what's available then. I don't really have the money to drop a new phone anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by blk02ls1 View Post
    As a first time Palm Pre Plus user I must admit that I'm glad I got rid of my iPhone. The Palm does everything the iPhone does plus some. I love the fact that it's up to you ( the customer ) what you do with your phone and not full of restrictions. I bought this phone on launch day ( May 16th ) from AT&T and I'm loving every min of it.
    I love hearing stories like that! Congrats on your new addiction!

For me, there will always be new phones coming out and being hyped as the 'greatest' and 'must have'. But having fallen in love with the elegance and simplicity of WebOS - and especially now that HP is in the picture - I'm going to wait with excitement at the possibilities in store for future hardware. I sold high-end electronics for 15 years before doing something new, and I can honestly say that this is the first time in many years that I have been excited about a product and/or brand. I think HP and Palm are going to end up driving the electronics market with WebOS... and I'm excited!
    love my pre, and i think there are some great things coming from this marriage of hp/palm
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I've mainly used iPhones and Android devices in the last year and I recently picked up my AT&T Pre and it's my new favorite phone. It's crazy fast with overclock and just works great.
    I wouldn't want to be on this thread bragging about the Pre's battery life because there are a lot of members that will tell you how many touchstones they have and how they always have to keep their Pre's on it. Just like dallashigh said its a smart phone and must will give you 3 to 5 hour of constant use.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I wouldn't want to be on this thread bragging about the Pre's battery life because there are a lot of members that will tell you how many touchstones they have and how they always have to keep their Pre's on it. Just like dallashigh said its a smart phone and must will give you 3 to 5 hour of constant use.
    Agreed. No modern, GPS-enabled, 3G Internet-connected smartphone on the market has great battery life if it's actually being used as designed. Battery, processor, and screen technology simply don't allow for it. Attacking the EVO for poor battery life is therefore a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

And for myself, I'm very happy to burn battery life to keep my Pre fully functional. I get around 8 hours of battery life during a typical working day, and that's with everything turned on. It's also with only moderate use and on wifi. When I use my Pre heavily and on 3G, I'm guessing I get closer to 5-6 hours. For me, that's just fine, and nothing that a second battery can't fix.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    even though the issue w/ the hardware,I have not had any major problems. WebOS is awsome.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Good luck with the 4-5 hour battery life. I hope HTC includes several power adapters in the box. See the linked AP review.

AP News : Jacksonville Daily News

And for reference, the phone it's based off of (HD2) also has terrible battery life as well.

HTC HD2 battery test ready, not bad at all

I'll take the 12-13 hours of my trusty 'ol Pre thank you.
    I think you may have misunderstood the battery remarks. 4-5 hours of battery life with heavy use is normal, if not good, for nowadays. I doubt your trust ol' Pre gets that much with the same use. The Palm Pre is one of the worst rated phones for battery life, period!