View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 81 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081828384858691131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 3633
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Hi guys,
    As we all know, Americas first 4G phone, the HTC EVO is going to be released on June 4th. For us Sprint premier customers we all have the opportunity to switch from our Pre to the EVO. I am personally going to stay with my Pre due to WebOS and the fact that there is one of, if not the best, community's to support you. So what I am asking is, why are you staying?
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    I see the Evo as just another hype monster like the Pre was that is going to let everyone down and since I am so much more impressed with web os than android I see no reason to switch
    I would very much prefer to wait for the next web os phone. If, however, nothing is announced by the time the EVO is out, Im afraid Im going to put that bigol lunch box sized thing in my pocket. With my luck, 20 minutes after I purchase it the Pre 2 will go on sale.

We are going to know pretty soon if Palm is close to a release date for their next phone. If they are, they almost have to make it known before the EVO and the IPhone 4G launch. Palm surely knows that there are a ton of web os appreciators that are eagerly anticipating some updated hardware. In the absence of a reason to wait, many of us will end up in contracts that will take us off of the market for at least a year, maybe more. If we dont hear from Palm by early June, Im betting were not going to see the next gen web os phone until close to or into 2011.
    I really want both but can't, so I will also keep my pre due to the superiority of webOS
    I am staying because my Pre Plus does exactly what I want it to do - and the way I want it done. It has lots of extras, but even without - I'm staying.

Important to me:

1. outstanding contact management (based on my definition)
    2. outstanding calendar (based on my definition)
    3. outstanding sync with outlook (3rd party cost was fine)
    4. ability to tether my PC wen travelling
    5. outstanding voice and 3G coverage from my carrier.

If my Centro had a 3G radio, I would have stuck with it. The Pre is all that, and an amazing toy for me. And the homebrewers + webOS user community in these forums... nothing better in the world of smartphones...
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    webOS and faith that the HP+Palm will make everything even better than it is now. I'm still using my original near launch day Pre. It's been good to me.
    I'm not a sprint customer so the evo doesn't apply to me. But being on verizon with the slew of android phones I am 100% staying with my pre plus. I like the form factor and size. But mostly because webos makes so much sense. I don't see myself using anything else for awhile.
    Apple.........The New Skynet
    Quote Originally Posted by mfaye21 View Post
    Hi guys,
    As we all know, Americas first 4G phone, the HTC EVO is going to be released on June 4th. For us Sprint premier customers we all have the opportunity to switch from our Pre to the EVO. I am personally going to stay with my Pre due to WebOS and the fact that there is one of, if not the best, community's to support you. So what I am asking is, why are you staying?
    For one,I love my phone. Two-I have one of the best smart phone ever. Three-Those other phone can't be customize like the pre does. Last but definitely not the least-It's so freaking gorgeous and sexy,remind me of my ex-girlfriend. lmfao.
    Don't really like Android. Don't fancy the work of having to break into and deal with the Android community to do stuff to my phone. Don't want to relearn a whole new set of quirks now that I've gotten the Pre down. Don't feel like buying another bunch of batteries and accessoires. Don't like how huge the phone is. It barely fit from wrist to fingertip in the hand of the guy on Engadget and pretty sure his hand is twice as big as mine.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 05/22/2010 at 12:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    As a first time Palm Pre Plus user I must admit that I'm glad I got rid of my iPhone. The Palm does everything the iPhone does plus some. I love the fact that it's up to you ( the customer ) what you do with your phone and not full of restrictions. I bought this phone on launch day ( May 16th ) from AT&T and I'm loving every min of it.
    besides being "newer" and having a different OS with an alternative form factor, what's so special about the evo. WebOS and palm get my job done, it just works for me, and it's fun as all hell. And it never feels outdated with all the new palm updates and the magic of the homebrew community. I can't put my phone down. at best i'd do the same with the evo, so no diff. I prefer Palm. Think different
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I am sticking with the Pre because I like the size, keyboard, webos and the applications. Why would I pay another $10.00 a month when there is no 4G in my area and the device is gigantic plus you have to type on glass. I am saving my upgrade for something better.
    Oh yes, the ridiculous 4G charge. That, too.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I don't like the EVO, but Engadget said that the EVO got pretty good bat life.
    Homebrew
    My thoughts on the EVO are simple: it's great hardware, but it's still Android. The OP points out one huge problem with Android, and for me it would be just as significant. webOS just works with every source of information I use (Google, Exchange, Yahoo!, LinkedIn, Facebook), and does everything I need it to do with the exception of syncing tasks with Google. And, that's Google's fault for not releasing an API.

In addition, I want to control the apps I have running, and webOS is the only mobile OS that not only lets me run multiple apps but gives me a simple, elegant, and even fun way of managing them. It's not perfect, but then again it's pretty damn good for a 1.X OS.

Palm needs money to be successful. It's the one thing they've lacked, and it's impacted their choice of manufacturers and materials (the build quality issue) and the amount of promotions they can engage in (hence, very little mindshare and very low sales volume). Those things, along with their generally questionable position, impacted their channels--nobody, including the carriers, Best Buy, and Radioshack, were inclined to give Palm much support, which started the death spiral.

With HP in Palm's corner, all of that goes away. They'll have money, and nobody in the retail channel can afford to ignore HP the way they've ignored Palm. HP sells more computers through Best Buy and other retail distributors than anybody else, thus giving them tremendous leverage. And, HP has great relationships with the carriers by virtue of--at least--providing significant infrastructure to eight out of 10 of them.

Yes, Palm needs good hardware. But if HP had purchased Palm last year and been involved with the launch of the Pre, we'd be in a much different position today.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well, that the totally abysmal battery life, and the fact I tested out and HD2 and thought I was holding a DVD case up to my head when talking

AP News : Jacksonville Daily News

And for reference, the phone it's based off of (HD2) also has terrible battery life as well.

HTC HD2 battery test ready, not bad at all

I'll take the normal size and 12-13 hours of my trusty 'ol Pre thank you.
    You have to consider the author of that article. He/she specifically stated that they came from a "dumb" phone. Any smart phone will die in 4 to 5 hours if you hammer it; something a dumbphone user would not understand. Try using your Pre constantly (data, GPS, etc) and see if you can get more than 5 hours out of it.

The mobile hotspot app lasted Engadget 3.5 hours, and that was after two hours of playing with other features. I doubt the Pre could stand up that long under hotspot usage.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    One word: Java. *cringe*
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    I wont because of the hardware, great OS pos hardware.
    Pretty much what everyone else here has said. I love the form factor and size and physical keyboard. The PIM apps are perfect for what I need them to do. Homebrew and our community mean the phone never feels tired to me. I absolutely love webOS. I don't like slab phones much. I could go on, but you guys get the picture.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I have root access to my pre+ - I'm sticking with it.

"Gott? Root? - Is difference?" --Pitr.