View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 78 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2868737475767778798081828388128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3633
    Crap software, in my definition, is crash-prone and difficult to use. Android, in all of my experience, is both.

We'll see whether 2.2 at least fixes the former problem when it's out of vaporware status.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Crap software, in my definition, is crash-prone and difficult to use. Android, in all of my experience, is both.

We'll see whether 2.2 at least fixes the former problem when it's out of vaporware status.
    I just want to point out that WebOS has a lot of random restart problems, memory leaks and serious lag issues, yet you call it awesome software. Both WebOS and Android are solid, but Android has had about an extra year to grow up. WebOS may yet over take all other mobile OS's, but it needs to mature.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I read they are also working on yet another version above 2.2. They keep improving Android.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm sticking with my Pre. After reading the reviews of Froyo, I'm frankly underwhelmed. There are several things presented as innovative that are nothing but partial implementations of WebOS features. OTA app installations and updates that require a desktop computer to initiate the transaction are not OTA. Palm solve the app limit within a few months, yet Android will still be limited to 378 MB. Multi-tasking is awkward and only mildly better than the upcoming iPhone implementation. The list goes on and on. Yes, the Evo hardware will be solid and potent, but that phone won't fit in my pocket, won't do things I take for granted, and will receive updates several months after release by Google. No thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe4food View Post
    Wow, Miller is quite the hater. Reminds me of those I-phone fan boys. This has nothing to do with shooting the messenger, you come across as a harbinger of bad tidings.
    Brmiller1976 is an interesting character. The wildly inaccurate things he's said on this forum (Android 2.2 is vaporware, there is no currently shipping mobile browser that supports HTML5, webOS can run Java apps, The Macintosh is on its last legs, etc.) indicate that he either has just enough of a grasp on the technologies he rallies against to be incredibly wrong about everything he says or he's just trolling on a level I can't even comprehend.
    Got to play with an evo tonight for a few minutes. It's an interesting device, but it is way to big for me to use as my every day device. Really wanted to try out video chat, but it didn't have the app loaded.

Before anybody says it's just a little bigger than an iPhone, let me just say it sure didn't feel that way to me. It's huge. But, I was still kind of impressed.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how well the enterprise exchange stuff works? My work requires a pin so I am wondering if email, calendar, and contacts would sync at all with the EVO until it gets the froyo update. If I couldn't sync to work, the EVO would be a no go for me. It sounds like HTC might have implemented their own custom solution for exchange.

So it sounds like it might make the most sense to wait for froyo to show up (enterprise exchange and flash) before jumping ship. The extra froyo speed also sounds nice although I suspect the EVO will scream compared to the Pre even with 2.1. There are a lot of nice things in 2.2 and it would be a bummer to wait a long time for the update.

Another thing I wondered about today is how well the hot spot would work on Sprint. If you fall out of 4G into 3G I suspect your phone would no longer accept calls (No 3G and phone calls at the same time). That would be annoying. Ironically, the networks that support tethering the most (Verizon and Sprint) are the networks that can't do simultaneous voice and data! AT&T doesn't do tethering (at least not iphone), but they support simultaneous voice and data. Kind of ironic.

By the way, Sprint replaced my Pre yesterday: power button malfunction, no insurance. This is my second Pre; I had a launch Pre. They even replaced my cracking touchstone back. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it all went (great customer service). The Pre was mostly painless about redownloading all my apps and email/calendar and I just needed passwords. It didn't get all of the application data and definitely not patches and homebrew. But it was better than I expected. I used save/restore to help me restore the preware patches. Worked really well. I switched to using doubletwist for media. I copied the pre drive to a computer before swapping, just in case.

Still on the fence for the EVO. Sorry for the long post.
    Been a dedicated Palm user for years (I've had the Treo 300, 600, 650, 700p, 750p, and now the Palm Pre). After seeing the specs of the HTC Evo, the gadget geek in me came out and pre-ordered the Evo last weekend.
    I've been monitoring all the the sister sites and this is the only one that has a forum it seems dedicated to the Pre problems. Everytime I go to the forum I see my screens out, cracked, crack around door, pixel burn out, stop working, on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 9th Pre, keys don't work, light out, oreo, help, help, ete,etc.

Granted webos is a good OS but it also missing the most basic features that you almost have to install preware because its so half baked. The Pre it self is still being relegated to junk status that's why the price keeps dropping to the point they are trying to give them away.

Sprint and Verizon pretty much pushed it to the side to concentrate on other devices, the Shack dropped it and i'm sure AT&T will pay little attention once Iphone 4g drops.

To make matter worst google gave us the most basic google maps and I don't want to get started on apps. I'm not a big fan of Android but i'm willing to try it for a year like I did for webos but this time at least the hardware and software are tried and true.
    Last edited by kinster02; 05/21/2010 at 02:51 AM.
    Palm is down but not out but the Pre is the laughing stock of the smart phone industry, no one wants to buy one. As a result you can say the same for developers not wanting to make apps for a junk phone.

Palm needs new hardware and to work on that laggy buggy software thats missing the most basic features.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I was really thinking about jumping ship to the evo but it was announced over the last few days it would not ship with flash 10.1 and "would most likley" get an update sumtime in the second half of this year to the 2.2 operating system and would support full flash.

Well Palm/HP heres how its going to work whoever has flash 10.1 up and running first gets my loyalty period. (I cannot be the only one that feels this way) Both phones have all the features i want so get flash or I defect to HTC.
    Good luck with the 4-5 hour battery life. I hope HTC includes several power adapters in the box. See the linked AP review.

In the end, the biggest hassle was the battery, which often died after four to five hours of usage. Granted, I spent a lot of time taking pictures, using the video camera, checking e-mail and tinkering with the phone - more than I would after the honeymoon phase ended. Sprint says the phone can be used for six hours of talking, but doesn't specify battery life for "obsessive e-mail checking and apps use." The company also said I might have gotten more time had I turned off the 4G system when I was in 3G-only areas.
    AP News : Jacksonville Daily News

And for reference, the phone it's based off of (HD2) also has terrible battery life as well.

HTC HD2 battery test ready, not bad at all

I'll take the 12-13 hours of my trusty 'ol Pre thank you.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    stop acting like you guys have an obligation to palm to stay loyal. Webos is sick but sprints model is a joke made with no decent hardware. So many manufacturers defcts on these things. This phone is so much hotter tan the pre right now. You don't need to root to wifi rout and doesn't cost? 4g no additional cost why wouldn't you ****. Bestbuy gave me 50 for signing up on list, waived mail in rebate and sprint gave me 50 credit because I *****ed about going through so many pre's. So yeah I will be jumoing ship and I cannot wait for the speed, cameras, and droid market. And record sluts and play that **** back at 720p on my hdtv haa
    Everybody switching but wait til theres an android update and it will take forever or never to update on the Evo. That's one thing I love about webos, there's not a million different phones needing to be updated.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I'm a Verizon Pre + user. So while the Evo isn't an option for me the Incredible is. Basically the Incredible is a little Evo =). That being said I wouldn't buy either. As posted by many others, for me its not about the hardware. Though I would like to note I haven't had any hardware problems to date.

Anyway for me WebOS is where it's at. Simply put the WebOS's user interface and control scheme is much more elegant and user friendly than what Android is, (even with the Sense UI). Android works, it gets the job done....but it just isn't as intuitive as WebOS. I never thought Id care about smart phone operating system paradigms but this is the first mobile OS thats made me say..."I like this, and Id like to continue using something like this even after this phone gets old". Android just feels clunky. I understand WebOS isn't perfect. We all get the random restarts; but I've seen the same sort of glitches from Android phones. Even with that to me WebOS is a much better experience, and that experience lends itself to making the Pre a much more usable phone despite it's lackluster hardware. To be fair though, if you have a luanch Pre on Sprint I could get why your feeling a little antsy, thats a long time to go with a rough around the edges handset.

On a side note, I don't like how big the Evo is. I could go bigger than the Pre but I most certainly don't want something thats even bigger than an iPhone.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post

Define "crap software" please. According to you, crap software means:

1. The recently 2nd most popular OS in the smartphone world, after BlackBerry OS, and quickly catching up.
    2. Software developed by the a company worth over $125 billion (yes, with a B).
    3. Not developed by a company who was recently bought for a mere $1 billion by a company who's only public plans for this new acquired OS entails printers and tablets.
    4. Countless more apps and growing at a much faster rate than WebOS.
    5. Developed and officially announced a new OS version (2.2 Froyo) capable of 2-5x faster speeds across the platform aside from many new addons.
    6. Already has Flash Lite in its device (didn't deceive the public like Palm did with 1.4) and will release its new OS version with Flash 10.1.
    7. Honestly, I'm tired of proving points... WAKE UP!
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    BTW, read some of the articles here:

Google I/O recap: more web than you can shake a frozen desert at -- Engadget

Isn't it nice to see a company divulge to the public its future plans?
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Everybody switching but wait til theres an android update and it will take forever or never to update on the Evo. That's one thing I love about webos, there's not a million different phones needing to be updated.
    What you guys don't get is that Android is a lot more open than WebOS is. There are exponentially larger communities hacking these devices allowing you to install whatever update you need, whenever you need it, in whichever device you need it in.

Such as:
    Android 2.2 ROM inevitably falls victim to device ports -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdc666 View Post
    I was really thinking about jumping ship to the evo but it was announced over the last few days it would not ship with flash 10.1 and "would most likley" get an update sumtime in the second half of this year to the 2.2 operating system and would support full flash.

Well Palm/HP heres how its going to work whoever has flash 10.1 up and running first gets my loyalty period. (I cannot be the only one that feels this way) Both phones have all the features i want so get flash or I defect to HTC.
    I'll bet you $100 the EVO gets Flash 10.1 before the Pre does.

BTW, you can install the 2.2 version in any Android device already. It's been leaked for quite some time.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I've been a loyal Palm user for years and had a Pre since it came out last year. Now, I'm thinking about getting the HTC EVO and I'm wondering how webOS compares to Android. Specifically, is there a "homebrew" community for Android or is the device not customizable beyond what Android allows? Also, how does Android's multi-tasking compare to that of webOS? Thanks!