View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 76 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2666717273747576777879808186126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 3633
    what daily crashes and freezes? Did you mix up your Pre with Android devices? Outside of a random force close, I haven't had freezes and crashes on my Hero or Moment, and I've rooted and rom'd the heck out of the Moment and had it with stock 2.1 up until I sold it yesterday. webOS is far more buggy than Android.

And are people really going to live on 4g? Highly doubtful. With a simple widget to turn it on and off on the home screen, I'll use it when I talk and surf, stream HD video, use it as a hotspot or am downloading files. Why else would I need it? Why else would I need it on all the time? And do you honestly think 4g on the next gen webOS device will be any less thirsty in 4g? 4g should really only turn itself on when certain programs are activated, and you should have even then have a choice of which radio to use. Some content will still stream quite well in a solid 3g area, and I'm sure those HD oriented apps will be available for the non Evo crowd as soon as the Evo gets rooted.

For all the hoopla of 4g, many will be in 3g 80%+ of the time. And they were getting over 4hrs of streaming HQ music on a 50% charged battery in 3g. So Walt can stick it in his ear. If anyone is buying this phone to live in 4g all the time, they're just dumb. And for people to trash the phone thinking along those lines, they're dumb too. Sorry. I'll be nicer, they're uninformed.

Great and wonderful for loving webOS, but bring up a valid argument if you want to put down the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Walt Mossberg's review of the EVO confirms that the handset has appalling battery life when 4G is enabled. One review I saw online said it couldn't even manage four hours of life with a fully charged battery with 4G enabled.

All those fancy features draw battery life down quickly. Add in Android's daily crashes and freezes, and useful life on an EVO with 4G will likely be under three hours a day.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Palm detractors? LOL how pathetic, these are nothing more than electronics, you people act like this is real serious business
    Quote Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
    Apparently you haven't owned your Pre very long.

Horrible battery life? Check

Crashes and restarts? Daily

Only able to use the phone for 3 hours a day? You bet your ***.

Sounds like the Palm Pre to me.
    QFT. all that's missing is webOS. they just replaced that with 4g coverage and uncapped data....

bottom line is i'm quite tempted to jump ship, but i'll prolly wait for Pre 4G..
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Walt Mossberg's review of the EVO confirms that the handset has appalling battery life when 4G is enabled. One review I saw online said it couldn't even manage four hours of life with a fully charged battery with 4G enabled.

All those fancy features draw battery life down quickly. Add in Android's daily crashes and freezes, and useful life on an EVO with 4G will likely be under three hours a day.

No daily crashes and freezes on my end using Android.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    okay guys I am torn and need some help. I LOVE my Palm Pre, sure I wish it was a Pre Plus but that is besides the point. what I am steamed about is that it seems like we are being left in the dust when it comes to Apps. It also seems like our phones are in no way a fluid in their movements as the Iphone or the soon to be released HTC EVO 4G from Sprint.

So here is the question. why should I not kick my phone to the curb and go with the new HTC EVO?
    You should pick the phone that you will most enjoy and that will most suit your lifestyle and needs.
    For me, the apps that we have satify me. And I like the look, feel, and great user experience of the phone.
    I like my pre over any other phone and that is why I bought and still love it.
    You should not ask for reasons to stay you should be seeing which phone you would most prefer to use.
    Also love WEB OS ( thought the PRE hardware is the suck). Its just a fact that Iphone and Android are the major players. Look at day 1 of the EVO launch , need for speed shift is going to be ready for release. Unfortunalty the PRE was not a success commercially and Srint has already dropped the phone ( what was supposed to be there flagship device) as there main phoen and moved on to the EVO as there big phone. You cant blame the big developers for skipping the pre. Unless there is a new evice that SELLS like a Iphone or Android the Apps for the PRE will be lacking for some. I dont mind as the Apps I want are there but I can not blame anyone who does find the APP's for the PRE lacking. In the end go with the phone that has the APPS you need.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/...riving-june-4/
    If you love the Pre and it does what you want it to do then you don't need a new phone. With HP on board things will only get better.

Just my take.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I feel with the soon to be released HP Slate running webOS software plus with next release of an updated Palm device there will be many more devices running webOS which will mean more apps being created by developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    Palm detractors? LOL how pathetic, these are nothing more than electronics, you people act like this is real serious business
    Oh but it IS serious business

I do not think the EVO and the Pre are in the same category, really. Unless you want to consider "latest cool phone" a category. And yes, the Pre was a "latest cool phone" at one time, and still more than holds its own in many ways.

Some people cannot do without the keyboard, like me, or else I would have already had an iPhone at some point. I still want to see what the C40 brings to the party. Don't expect 4G though.

I still prefer the to have a GSM phone with fast 3G than a 4G device that does not allow for simultaneous voice and data, but this thread is about Pre vs EVO so that does not apply...
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    If you love the Pre and it does what you want it to do then you don't need a new phone. With HP on board things will only get better.

Just my take.
    This. I have never understood the "THEY have more, so mine is not good enough" approach.

I have never been in a restaurant, enjoying a wonderful meal, and looked at another table with a "better" dish...and THAT suddenly makes my food taste bad!

Sure, I look forward to an updated webOS phone. But, my phone is still "delicious" just the way it is now.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    No daily crashes and freezes on my end using Android.
    In brmiller1976s defense, he doesn't actually own the devices he's constantly slamming. He just FINALLY found a new angle to put down the EVO (4G Power w/stock Batt) and needed something else to say that would make him seem "experienced" with the product in question. So it's understandable why he's making stuff up.
    What is there to be torn about? If you really love your Pre then what is the question really? webOS is still not a year old yet and did you expect it to catch-up with the iPhone and Android in the number of apps seriously? And if you want smoothness and speed just install the UberKernel and Govnah.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    In brmiller1976s defense, he doesn't actually own the devices he's constantly slamming. He just FINALLY found a new angle to put down the EVO (4G Power w/stock Batt) and needed something else to say that would make him seem "experienced" with the product in question. So it's understandable why he's making stuff up.
    Oh no...you're so mistaken, my friend.

According to brmiller1976 - and I quote - "I have owned (and/or presently own) a G1, a MyTouch 3G, a Samsung Behold 2, and a Sprint HTC Hero."

He hates Android so much that he bought the first two devices where the only difference is that one doesn't have a hardware QWERTY, a Samsung Behold 2 with a universally maligned custom Cube interface on top of the same OS, and then the Hero with HTC Sense.

I've never met someone who found an OS to be so bad, but it took him FOUR handsets with identical processors and slightly different UIs to come to that conclusion. Maybe he's just slow?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrph View Post
    One thing missing is the number of phones not on 2.1. Until today when the Hero got the update 62% of android phones were on an OS below 2.1. Now with 2.2 coming out soon one has to ask how long will it take (if ever) for most of the phones out today to get the upgrade to the latest OS. The EVO will not have the latest OS in a matter of weeks after it's release. All Pre' run on the same os for the most part. The fragmentation of the OS is a hugh problem with Android. And it will only get worse as Google pushes out more updates despite most of the hardware not running it. That is one of the drawbacks of having multiple manufactures and an OS controlled by another company.
    This is an overused and tired canard.

It's not a "huge problem" as any handset running 1.6 or later can run the vast majority of apps in the market, including Google Navigation and Goggles. And that's pretty much every Android handset. Some of the older ones (and the Sony Xperia X10) are missing on some extra features that 2.x offers, but some of these - like Friendstream - are duplicated in functionality offered by Sense UI and Sony's Rachel. Otherwise, the user experience is barely different than that between the Pre and the Pixi.

Google's next update will make this even more modular so handsets can updates to the latest apps quickly even if the carriers are lagging with full scale OS updates.
    Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Maybe he's just slow?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The ultimate question - is 4G available in your area? if not, then why get a 4G phone?

I'm willing to wait it out with webOS - it's the best phone OS by far, it simply needs some TLC from HP with hardware and from the developer tank with some of the software *bugs?*

I, too, have considered switching to the EVO, but 4G isn't even on the table for Phoenix, and I haven't been overly impressed with Android as an OS - it's good, don't get me wrong, but I'm pretty sure that given another year, sophomore webOS will be the gold standard for a phone OS. I mean look at it this way... in its infancy, it moved APPLE to develop-in some lame excuse for multi-tasking in the almighty iPhone... That's impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    In brmiller1976s defense, he doesn't actually own the devices he's constantly slamming.
    Why do you keep repeating this lie?

I own several Android phones, including a Sprint HTC Hero, a Samsung Behold II, and a T-Mobile MyTouch 3G. I also owned a T-Mobile G1.

Crashes, freezes and lockups are a daily part of life with Android if you try to use it as a serious business device. It's one reason I tend to end my Android experiments early -- eventually the lag and crashes get so bad, I can't bear it.

Android people don't like to concede the terrible user experience that's part and parcel of Android. They're understandably touchy about it. But attacking the messenger isn't going to make Android usable -- only a massive overhaul will.
    prefer to stick with a vendor that supplies the hardware and software to be honest, one that isn't locked to a specific network and doesn't have draconian and random rules regarding application approval, one that values homebrew and developers alike with a system that is open, out of the box, providing system level access. Not sure if anyone else can claim that crown, perhaps nokia?
    Android "experiments"? Dude, you keep buying the same handset over and over from different manufacturers! If you had problems with one, you would have problems with them all. They all ran Android 1.x on a 528 ARM11 chip on a 3.2 inch screen at HVGA resolution. There is a word for doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result...and it aint "experiment".

The custom UIs that make the Hero and Behold different would have nothing to do with crashes, freezes, and lockups you claim Android produces. Stop the nonsense!