View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 74 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374757677787984124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 3633
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Well call me traitor ..Love my Pre it's been really awesome from a technical stand point ,others I know wish they could get there phone to do the tricks this one can . But I have been wanting a bigger screen and ready to give android a whirl... but I will be back on board the Palm ship with the next device and still will have my pre to play around with in the meantime...

GO GATORS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm jumping ship too....
    I have been using a Moment since my last pre broke. Android is very functional, but more of an utilitarian feel. I prefer webOS, but the hardware is weak. Android has many more choices, specifically would like a larger screen. If Palm had a competitive phone to the EVO or Incredible I would stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    One of the biggest problems for HTC incredible and EVO is HTC.

They make decent hardware (not without its problems) and SenseUI which slows down upgrades significantly. Look at Hero/Eris people are still waiting for Android 2.1 update which HTC pushed back every few month. At the same time they are rolling out new phones with Android 2.1. So once google releases 2.2 guess whats going to happen to HTC phones? Very slow update release while churning out new and improved Incredible 2/Evo squared or something
    Reality check:

Android 2.1 - Released January 2010
    Updates to Motorola Droid - February 2010
    Updates to Samsung Moment/Sprint Hero/Droid Eris - May 2010
    Number of Android 2.1 phones HTC has released since January: 1, the HTC Incredible.

All of this happened in less than the time it took to get Palm Pre to market after it was announced.

Or, to put it another way, it's taking longer to get 3D gaming on the Pixi.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hippie_hideaway View Post
    The general consensus of those that are jumping to the EVO are:
    1. WebOS is great.
    2. Palm hardware is lacking.

Not ever having used an Android phone, my two questions to those who have used both an Android phone and the Pre are:
    1. What, specifically, makes WebOS superior to the Android OS?
    2. What, specifically, makes Android hardware superior to Palm hardware?
    Do some research and you'll see why Android is superior to the WebOS. The answers are just too vast for me to list.

http://www.mobilitysite.com/2009/11/...ckberry-fight/ ...for instance.

As far as hardware goes. Let's be honest, it doesn't take much for a device to surpass the Palm Pre in features and build quality. Sure, the Pre is beautiful, but that's about it. Many here, including myself, are on their 5th or 6th replacement and things are still not perfect. I still have the oreo effect, a dead pixel, and the battery cover seems to become looser and looser over time.

In relation to specs, that's where the EVO trumps not only the Pre, but every other device out there: 4.3" screen, 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 512MB RAM, MicroSD expansion (8GB card included), 8MP rear camera with dual-flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera for video conferencing capable of recording and outputting 720P via a HDMI port, 4G (didn't emphasize cause we don't have it in Orlando), FM radio, ANDROID 2.1, and even a kickstand to boot.

Done and done...
    I admit, the HTC Evo 4G looks amazing, but I don't really like the interface for Android. My second line is a Samsung Moment and I try to take a liking to it (so I can get the Evo), but I just can't part ways with the Pre, specifically WebOS on how much more easier everything is laid out and the notifications. I am definitely looking forward to what Palm releases next for Sprint!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I already pre-ordered the evo.
    I love my palm-pre and webOS. Had Palm announced a new device with better hardware I would have stayed. I'm going to try out Android and wait for Palm/HP to make better hardware for WebOS.
    Until then, I will see you switchers over at android central.
    I would be very tempted to buy the Evo if there was 4G in my area. Until that day the Pre is will still be at my side. Hopefully, by the time 4G is in my area I will have a few more choices.
    Well, it's been a fun ride Palm. I've had a palm phone since 2003, but I'm going to retire my Pre and get the HTC EVO. You had your chance to make the Pre something fantastic, but it just didn't pan out. Honestly, I think the camera being only 3GB and no macro (auto focus) mode is what did it for me. Yes, I knew what is was getting. I'm not angry.
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    engadget review has been posted:

HTC EVO 4G review -- Engadget
    enjoy your home buttons and long presses and whatever else android uses.
    ... About the review? I believe Engadgets review may be better. This seems not so indepth (nittynerdygritty) as I would've preferred.
    Mossberg's review is also up: Sprint 4G Phone Hits New Speeds, but Battery Disappoints - WSJ.com

He seems to have had a much bigger issue with the battery in 4G areas (which is what I expected a while ago).
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm still not buying it
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I think, I still aint buying it.
    That review really makes me want one, but I WILL wait. I would simply be livid with myself if missed out on a webos phone with top of the line hardware.

please don't make me regret it palm....
    oh the phone.... Ummm. From the guy that reviewed it? Pretty honest review. I always say android is for techliketype. It's just too overwhelming for the basic smartphone user. My wife is always cursing and calling me to help her with her Hero. Alot of times she picks up my Pre to do things. +1 for Universal Search w/ options!
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Reality check:

Android 2.1 - Released January 2010
    Updates to Motorola Droid - February 2010
    Updates to Samsung Moment/Sprint Hero/Droid Eris - May 2010
    Number of Android 2.1 phones HTC has released since January: 1, the HTC Incredible.

All of this happened in less than the time it took to get Palm Pre to market after it was announced.

Or, to put it another way, it's taking longer to get 3D gaming on the Pixi.
    One thing missing is the number of phones not on 2.1. Until today when the Hero got the update 62% of android phones were on an OS below 2.1. Now with 2.2 coming out soon one has to ask how long will it take (if ever) for most of the phones out today to get the upgrade to the latest OS. The EVO will not have the latest OS in a matter of weeks after it's release. All Pre' run on the same os for the most part. The fragmentation of the OS is a hugh problem with Android. And it will only get worse as Google pushes out more updates despite most of the hardware not running it. That is one of the drawbacks of having multiple manufactures and an OS controlled by another company.
    I'm sure it's a really great phone. But it's not what I personally want or need. But I'm sure it's great.