View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 73 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2363686970717273747576777883123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 3633
    Woo! 8 megapixel camera! Really? Are you aware that any 3 megapixel camera from 2002 will take better photos? Don't buy into the marketing traps. As a professional photographer I can assure you that this camera will be terrible for anything other than random snapshots, just like the camera of the pre, or almost any other cellphone.

And of course HTC has been stepping up the game, as has everyone else. Including Palm! However, without the resources and low demand, it hasn't been possible to release higher-spec'd phones at the rate of other companies.

I hope Palm will be able to quickly integrate their new funds from HP into their business strategy and release new phones. I can assure you that by august, the EVO will look terribly dated compared to new webOS offerings.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    Buh Bye now...you have fun with your crap phone.
    i wouldnt call the phone crap... and palm had a year to improve on this phone and come out with the pre 2... i think they spent their money badly with the release of the pixi... they could have waited a year. did sprint get the plus update i dont think so... now i love my pre but i can get a new phone every year so if i were to get a new phone i would prob get the htc. my wife will get my pre and next year palm will be back with something good ... palm is awsome and i love webos just new teck new toy...
    my city will be one of the first with 4g soo. And if they do come out with a better phone it's still gonna be 4g..and how do you kno what 4g is gonna be like if you never tried it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    LOL @ wanting the phone for the 4G which happens to be in very small markets and from what I hear it is not a huge improvement over 3G. And by the time they roll out the 4G to more areas (most likely your unless you live in the very limited market) there will be a new better phone out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf View Post
    Buh Bye now...you have fun with your crap phone.
    LOL my pre is already crap so I guess it will be 2 crap phones for me hahahaha
    I purchased my Pre on Day 1 (June 6, 2009). I've absolutely loved it. If I knew Palm would be coming out with a NEW WebOS phone by say...3rd quarter of this year (maybe even 4th quarter) I'd wait and make my decision then.

If June passes...and there are no announcements regarding a new WebOS phone coming in 3rd or 4th quarter (to Sprint)... AND the first month with the EVO 4G shows great success...then I'm switching.

Make sense?
    Not switching! I love webos & can live with the hardware until a new phone comes out. Thanks to the many devs out there who help squeeze all the performance & functionality out of the pre!
    Just looked at a pool over and androidcentral.com and realized that most poeple jumping ship to the evo 4g are Palm phone owners. I think things are just about to get worse for HP/Palm. What do you guys thnk.

Source:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...hing-what.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Just looked at a pool over and androidcentral.com and realized that most poeple jumping ship to the evo 4g are Palm phone owners. I think things are just about to get worse for HP/Palm. What do you guys thnk.

Source:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...hing-what.html
    There are plenty of Pre owners who are posting on PreCentral that they are not jumping ship. If people have decided to get the Evo, I am happy that they have shifted their focus to Android Central.
    The people that jump from phone to phone are a very small minority of actual phone consumers. The same people that make the jump are also the same type of people who may make the jump back when a new WebOS device is released. I'm always amazed at the amount of people that have multiple types of phones on these forums. I doubt this would make things any worse for HP/Palm then they are presently.

There was this same conversation during the release of the Hero and the Droid. Some of those people came running back to the Pre. The only big difference is that EVO is a 4G phone which will probably keep a hold of people that live in those markets.
    I'm switching.

I certainly prefer WebOS to Anroid, but not at the same level that I'll prefer 4g to 3g.

If Palm were to make an announcement about a 4g WebOS device to come soon, I'd probably wait for it. But since it's such a mystery with no release date in site, I'm not going to wait for it.
    I'm undecided but leaning toward keeping the Pre.

I prefer a real keyboard vs. touchscreen but I think the real keyboards could slowly be fading out of picture.

I live outside of Philly so I could see justification for the 4G $10 price tag. However, the $30 cost for the tether is a killer. Currently I'm able to get the tethering on my Pre (on Spring) and it doesn't cost me any extra. I don't use it often but it comes in handy when I'm stuck at an airport every now and then.
    I need exchange connectivity with security features that our IT department will support for work email. EVO sounds nice, but without that, I can't even consider it.
    WebOs for now. If nothing is released within the next 12 months, then I would make a move to something different. Doubt this will happen though as I plan on using WebOs for some time to come.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Goodbye webos it was fun. got a sprint palm pre. i think we go sh**** on when the other carriers came out with pres with more memory and hotspot. jus preorder my evo. if palm come out with a better phone then ill come back. so bye for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    I'm undecided but leaning toward keeping the Pre.

I prefer a real keyboard vs. touchscreen but I think the real keyboards could slowly be fading out of picture.

I live outside of Philly so I could see justification for the 4G $10 price tag. However, the $30 cost for the tether is a killer. Currently I'm able to get the tethering on my Pre (on Spring) and it doesn't cost me any extra. I don't use it often but it comes in handy when I'm stuck at an airport every now and then.
    A rooted android device does tethering for free as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    A rooted android device does tethering for free as well.
    i'm not familiar with their online community like what we have here. Is their rooting ability as simple as using the WebOSQI program available to us Pre users? I'm kinda a layman when it comes to this "hacking" stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    *yawn* Yet another "Pre is doomed" thread. Move along crowd. Nothing new here.

I don't think that's what this is. The Pre is a great phone, but this isn't 2005 any more where Palm could afford to offer one form factor like they did with the various 600/650/680/700 variations.

If HP/Palm doesn't announce plans to roll out a phone that can compete with the Droid and Evo in terms of screen and memory size then I will have no choice but to switch.

I like webOS a lot. It is easily as intutitive as iPhoneOS and more so than Android. But as hardware goes the Pre is just slightly better than entry level. The small form factor clearly appeals to many, that's why Palm needs to continue to offer it while improving internals.

But some of us want a bigger screen, and if Palm won't give me one then I will have no choice but to switch. Plus I really like Sprint the service cost is a bargain and the coverage in my area seems to be very strong.

Personally I would rather have a Droid or Incredible because I don't need 4G or the extra fee that comes with it.
    Last edited by bankerdanny; 05/19/2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdanny View Post
    I don't think that's what this is. The Pre is a great phone, but this isn't 1995 any more where Palm could afford to offer one form factor like they did with the various 600/650/680/700 variations.

If HP/Palm doesn't announce plans to roll out a phone that can compete with the Droid and Evo in terms of screen and memory size then I will have no choice but to switch.

I like webOS a lot. It is easily as intutitive as iPhoneOS and more so than Android. But as hardware goes the Pre is just slightly better than entry level. The small form factor clearly appeals to many, that's why Palm needs to continue to offer it while improving internals.

But some of us want a bigger screen, and if Palm won't give me one then I will have no choice but to switch. Plus I really like Sprint the service cost is a bargain and the coverage in my area seems to be very strong.

Personally I would rather have a Droid or Incredible because I don't need 4G or the extra fee that comes with it.
    Even with the extra 4G fee, you're paying a lot less with comparable service from Verizon. Trust me!
    The general consensus of those that are jumping to the EVO are:
    1. WebOS is great.
    2. Palm hardware is lacking.

Not ever having used an Android phone, my two questions to those who have used both an Android phone and the Pre are:
    1. What, specifically, makes WebOS superior to the Android OS?
    2. What, specifically, makes Android hardware superior to Palm hardware?