View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 69 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1959646566676869707172737479119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 3633
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    I don't see why people go back and forth whining about how the Pre is so superior.
    Sorry Pre is superior in software. I tried to go back and forth (swipe) on the Incredible, only to realize the OS is Android. .
    Pre-ordered my Evo last sat
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Aside from possible app catalog sales, does it hurt Palm any if people who already bought a Pre or Pixi later switch to a new phone?
    Yes. Because the success of WebOS will be heavily reliant on brand loyalty and the only loyal users left are the ones who currently own a Pre. So losing them now is (very likely) losing them for life because it's not very common for customers to go back to a company that they feel burned them.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Got the Pre on Launch day for Sprint and will do the same for the Evo. If Palm had some new hardware hitting this month or next that may change my mind but I am done with the current Pre hardware. Love the OS but after 7 swaps in 11 months as well as countless random Luna restarts, battery pulls (then to wait 3 min for the phone to boot), keyborad issues, and the housing starting to crack for no reason...it is time to say goodbye to my Pre. Look forward to what HPalm will have come June of 2011 as I will be ready to upgrade again. I hope it is more than just tables as I have no interest in a WebOS or Android table for that matter. Just give me a good OS on good hardware for my smartphone and my then laptop and I'm set...no need to a third device in between.
    I will buy the EVO, hookup with 4G and WiFi and then my iPad will go with me to more places.
    Carter Patterson
    I got a Pre a month after it launched and just picked up a Pixi the other day. I am a good example of someone who the EVO marketing will be directly targeting but I have already decided it simply is not for me.

I email and chat a lot, I check facebook like an addict, and I do a lot of casual browsing of tfln, fml, engadget, digg, cnn, etc. It would make sense that a blazing fast phone with a giant screen would be attractive to me, but it's not.

I have perfect 20/20 vision, I don't need a giant screen. Pixel density is a more important spec for me to consider, but even then it's a moot point. It is possible to have a good layout on a 2inch screen, its also possible to have a horrible layout on an 8inch screen. Size doesn't matter, industrial design and UI matter. WebOS wins there imo.

I would prefer for the current Palm phones to be a bit speedier, but I never thought they were prohibitively slow. I had a Samsung Instinct before, which is the cell-phone metaphor for downs-syndrome slug. The Pre and Pixi both are fast enough for my tasks.

The media features of the EVO actually turn me off a bit more. HDMI out sounds great to brag about untill you're with your friends watching a movie on TV being outputted by your phone and you suddenly want to check your email/weather/whatever. I don't ever want me phone to be out of reach, which means I would never use the HDMI.

Recently it was shown that people are using their voice plans less and less to talk, and rather are using their data plans more to text, email, or communicate via social networking. Tell me how this trend is going to not only stop but reverse into the direction of video chat catching on? Front facing camera is going to collect dust.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I do not agree. I think there is still a lot of loyalty to Palm even among those defectors. All these guys are waiting from Palm is a new sturdy hardware to house the WebOS. In fact as soon as this happens these defectors will defect from Android as fast as they did with Pre.
    I don't see why some people get so worked up about someone else's choice for a cell phone. MY phone's better than yours. Your phone sucks! You'll leave now, but you'll be back!!

Sheesh! It's just a phone, people! I'll try the Evo - it looks cool and I'm ready for a change. If I don't like it, I'll go back to my Pre. More likely, I'll use the Evo for a year and then upgrade again to whichever phone looks the best then.

It's all interesting to talk about, but not so important to base your self-worth on which phone you own.

Getting off my soapbox now, here's my issue: I can switch to the Evo and learn Android. If there are issues, I'll know what to do. My non-techie spouse, however, hates complexity in her life. If the iphone were on Sprint, I might get that for her - easy to use, simple, and full featured. The Pixi would be a perfect fit for her, but I have a hard time buying a new Pixi now when the Pixi plus is available everywhere else except for Sprint.

I wish Palm would hurry and release a new, simple, smartphone for a non-techie person like my wife. But I don't think they will until the end of the year.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I do not agree. I think there is still a lot of loyalty to Palm even among those defectors. All these guys are waiting from Palm is a new sturdy hardware to house the WebOS. In fact as soon as this happens these defectors will defect from Android as fast as they did with Pre.
    I agree. And I actually might do just that. I haven't decided yet by the EVO looks soooooooo tempting. HD video output, all the guts, screen, etc. The only thing I don't seem to like about the EVO is no physical keyboard and no WebOS. If palm comes out with some phone that picks up those two items (WebOS is a duh) keeping most of the other items the same as the EVO, then I will probably jump right back to the new palm phone.
    I really just don't like Android that much. I found the operating system fairly inelegant in a lot of ways, and I've tried just about every new Android phone that came out since I got a hold of the early beta emulator before they even released an Android phone. It's just never gotten to that point where it works intuitively and as effectively for me as webOS has for serious use. Android's devs have always done a good job of making things look pretty, but the layout and flow of things just never made any sense from a practical user's perspective.

I've never liked onscreen keyboards. Cluttering up the screen on which I'm attempting to type something on is kludgy. I don't like the EVO's design all that much either. The 4G networking is pretty much the biggest reason to get one, and 4G coverage is still going to be spotty in a lot of places. I've used smartphones for a very long time, and I know what my usual routine is. It's really not much different than how most people use their phones. I'm pretty picky from experience...if a phone doesn't have something I use daily, retraining myself to do something another way doesn't matter. Unless that other way provides a considerably better experience, it's nothing more than a trade down.

Android phones just always get really hyped because the OS looks, at a glance, really pretty...the marketing draws you in with that whole cuddly "geek" feeling. I meet someone who just bought one and they love it...then I talk to them again a few months later, and they're sick of it. I still show people what my Pre can do, and they're still envious. Yeah, the next Android release is going to have Flash. I've gotten to the point where I can say "so what?" Yeah, it renders pages a little prettier, but I use flash blockers all the time anyway because I'd rather the pages render in a manner that's easier to read on a small screen. It's nice, but looking back, adding video was a nicer improvement.
    I think a lot of Palm defectors are party hoppers anyway. When the cops come, they bail. When the party picks up again, they're back.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I was a Treo 650/700p/755p user before I got my Pre in July 09. The build quality on the Pre (now on my 4th unit) quite frankly SUCKS. Oreo problem, spider web cracks, headphone jack crackles, sluggish response, etc. etc. etc.

I love webOS, but Palm needs more speed, RAM, a card slot and a bigger, higher res screen to get any more money out of me. I may give them until the end of July to announce a new device, but if nothing comes up I'm going for the EVO.

However, I will probably buy whatever WebOS tablet they come out with. HP won't make the same "one connector for everything" mistake like Apple did. I see them coming out with a full-featured tablet with WebOS. They would be stupid to do anything else.
    I'm still hoping Palm will announce SOMETHING before Jun 4th, As much as I LOVE webOS I could really use some of those features the EVO brings. But Just like the above said, If a new WebOS device came out I would sell the EVO and jump back in the party.

People want to be on the cutting edge.
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
  14. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    I believe the stats are skewed towards leaving webOS due to the EVO being on Sprint. It's simply a matter of high-end users switching from the Pre to the EVO. It's a decent piece of hardware, and many are eligible for new phones, having bought the Pre a year ago. If Palm had a new phone for them to jump to, we wouldn't see those kind of numbers. It's just a matter of the right timing, not a matter of not liking webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I think a lot of Palm defectors are party hoppers anyway. When the cops come, they bail. When the party picks up again, they're back.
    And the cell industry (actually electronics industry as a whole) thrives on this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'll be picking up the Evo in August when I can re-up with Sprint but I'm giving my Pre to the wife, who's been waiting patiently to enherit it. I still have my first Pre going strong (I've only doctored it once!) and I hate to leave webOS, but the specs on the Evo are just too juicy. I owe it to myself to see what else is out there. I'll tell you what though, if the Palm/HP marriage turns out to be a fruitful one, please believe I'll be back with the quickness. I've loved my Pre for the last 10 months, and webOS IS the best platform out there if you ask me. We'll see what Android has to offer. Who knows? I may come screeming back to the Pre before the 30 days is up!!

I just bought (borrowed) a HTC Hero with plans to return and get the Evo. I still have my Pre. I don't find Android to be as bad as many say. I still have my Pre and it's activated, but I always reach for my Hero. IMHO, the Pre now seems corney or cheesy to me, like a toy. The Hero (even with it's 1.5 firmware) feels complete, like a real phone. I can't even imagine what Android 2.1 will be like.

Completely my opinion. Now I can't wait for the HTC Evo.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I was thinking about it, until I read that there will be a $10/month fee for the 4G, even if you don't live in a 4G area. And since I don't, then I don't want to pay for something I'll only use when I visit Vegas.

Coupled with the extra monthly charge for the hotspot feature, I've cooled down significantly on the phone (or more specifically, the price of the service attached to the phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by sYnOnYx View Post
    I'm still hoping Palm will announce SOMETHING before Jun 4th, As much as I LOVE webOS I could really use some of those features the EVO brings. But Just like the above said, If a new WebOS device came out I would sell the EVO and jump back in the party.

People want to be on the cutting edge.
    Yup. I am going to miss the touchstone if I go though. I take it for granted but it is pretty convenient.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    We already know what the review will look like (unless some how HTC forgot how to make phones).

Just read any incredible review and tack on a few more positives with maybe a negative for Size or lack of AMOLED.
    I think the lack of AMOLED is a good thing. Now I can see the phone outside. Same as the Pre as long as I have the brightness cranked.