View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 68 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1858636465666768697071727378118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 3633
    I don't need or want obsolete technology like cords. I just want my inductive charging. Ports break, jam and have problems.

The other problem with keeping one's phone plugged in all the time is that a lot of Android devices use battery up faster than they can charge the phone. My Sprint HTC Hero would regularly run out of power *despite being plugged in* because the charger didn't produce as much juice as was being used up by Android and HTC's widgets.

I can only imagine that problem will be even worse with the massive power requirements of 4G and an HD screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You know, this thread was kinda put together the way android was. Yep, its a mess.
    You are calling the Evo old technology already? And what is the Pre then?

And we have ZERO word of what Palm is working on. I'm an early adopter and a tech nerd. I will always try to get the best phone i can get for my needs on Sprint.

At this point though, the speed alone on the Evo makes me cringe at my Pre. I love WebOS....but it needs new hardware..STAT.

And i don't think we'll see any for a while.
    You can purchase a dock for the Evo that you can use to connect to the tv or use for charging similar to the touchstone. Most people that are buying the Evo knows its a smart phone and bad battery life comes with the territory. It took the Pre around two weeks to break in before the battery life improved and its still not very good. I read up on the incredible and they have battery issues but most people are reporting better life after two weeks and others purchased an extended battery expecting to have bad battery life. The Evo has a 1500 mha battery which is replaceable and i'm sure someones working on and extended one. We Pre owners are the last people to be laughing at another phones battery life.
    Cords are an obsolete technology? Hilarious. I forgot that inductive charging was problem free.

But seriously...your Hero experience is atypical in the extreme. I've never bought even an extra battery or charger for mine. Meanwhile, I have a Pre charger in the car, at work, and at home. You need them.

May be the case with Evo as well. Seems to be worth it. We'll see.
    You know, this thread was kinda put together the way android was. Yep, its a mess.
    it's mainly a mess because of you PDF people trolling around. this is the Other Handhelds forum of PreCentral Forums. don't look in here if your going to start trouble.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Cords are an obsolete technology? Hilarious.
    Yeah, you're right. This whole "wireless" thing is overrated. Maybe the next Android "high speed smartphone" will use a landline.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    it's mainly a mess because of you PDF people trolling around. this is the Other Handhelds forum of PreCentral Forums. don't look in here if your going to start trouble.
    I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm hardly a member of the PDF :P

I'm an iphone owner, ex-Palm user. The Pre's hardware build quality was unacceptable which i realized months ago. We've been through about 15 of them, soon to be 16.

To me, a bigger screen (than 3.5") isn't a benefit..it only makes for a poorer screen & usability. That's JMO and probably not a popular one at that. Oh well. Besides, isn't everyone wanting an ipad, webOS pad, or android tablet these days?

Most likely i'll upgrade to new iphone or stay with 3GS if the rumors don't pan out.
    Because using a cord for data transmission and using one for charging is the same thing.

If cords are so obsolete, how does the Touchstone get power to charge a Touchstone-backed Pre in the first place, genius? It is the SAME amount of cords, but with an EVO, they go directly from the wall to the device instead of from the wall to the Touchstone that you lay it on top of.
    Actually this speaks to a larger problem that all smartphones have. And I don't know what the solution is.

I remember a long time ago, when I first started looking around for a smartphone, I was all hot for the Motorola Q, it was slim and sleek and super sexy, until I heard about the battery life. I went with the Treo 700p because even though the OS was old it was really speedy, and the battery life was great. When I got it home, the ONLY thing I didn't like about it... the size. It was a huge chunk of phone. But at the time I was willing to sacrifice size for better battery life.

Fast forward, and look at me now. I have an extra battery, I have a cord with me at all times to plug my phone into a wall, and guess what, when I go to the outlet, I'm in line after my iPhone loving co workers.

Somewhere along the way, with the Treo Pro I realized that I'm willing to take a hit on battery life for a phone that is sleek, small and does a ton of stuff. And the Pre fits the bill PERFECTLY.

But I'll be honest, I'm torn. I want better battery life. But hey, I HAVE the extended battery. It gives me GREAT battery life. But it makes my phone chunky. Just what I didn't want.

Do we, the smartphone buying public (and I mean everyone, iPhone, Evo, Pre owners) have to realize that battery technology hasn't hit the Star Trek age, and if we really want better battery life AND a super next gen smart phone, should we just accept a larger form factor?

It's just an open question.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I don't need or want obsolete technology like cords. I just want my inductive charging. Ports break, jam and have problems.
    How does your (energy wasting) induction charger get power? Is it hooked to your house's electrical system by magic?

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller
    The other problem with keeping one's phone plugged in all the time is that a lot of Android devices use battery up faster than they can charge the phone. My Sprint HTC Hero would regularly run out of power *despite being plugged in* because the charger didn't produce as much juice as was being used up by Android and HTC's widgets.
    Please define "a lot of Androids." My Droid, Droid Eris, Devour and Incredible have no such problem - even while watching movies on them. As opposed to a phone like, say, my Pre, which loses battery life while on my car charger with the GPS running.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller
    I can only imagine that problem will be even worse with the massive power requirements of 4G and an HD screen.
    By 4G do you mean WiMax? LTE 4G power requirements are considerably lower.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm hardly a member of the PDF :P

I'm an iphone owner, ex-Palm user. The Pre's hardware build quality was unacceptable which i realized months ago. We've been through about 15 of them, soon to be 16.

To me, a bigger screen (than 3.5") isn't a benefit..it only makes for a poorer screen & usability. That's JMO and probably not a popular one at that. Oh well. Besides, isn't everyone wanting an ipad, webOS pad, or android tablet these days?

Most likely i'll upgrade to new iphone or stay with 3GS if the rumors don't pan out.
    How is a bigger screen not a benefit? Have you even used a HD2 before? It is absolutely amazing compared to anything out there. It looks sharper than anything I have seen out there, regardless of the lower PPI.
    I jsut had a hands on with the EVO, and it's a cool phone, but it's still android and it is freaking enormous. This thing is like a tablet. I don't like it that much, with 10 minutes with it I can't get into it, WebOS is still the best OS out there but palm needs to make a phone with much better hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    How is a bigger screen not a benefit? Have you even used a HD2 before? It is absolutely amazing compared to anything out there. It looks sharper than anything I have seen out there, regardless of the lower PPI.
    You must be kidding right?
    I been montoring quite a bit of phone sites and in my observation most people purchasing the Evo are coming from webos. Here is just one site although there are many more.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...hing-what.html

Palm better get there act together and announce some new hardware or i'm predicting a mass exodus especially with launch day customers.

There is some good news out of this for people wanting a used Pre because after 4June the market will be flood with them.
    Last edited by kinster02; 05/18/2010 at 02:33 PM.
    My bigger question is why is cardfan in this thread if he doesn't own a Pre and isn't buying an Evo...............
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Bought the Pre on June 5 2009 and I will use my Sprint 1yr discount on June 5 to buy the EVO. With the snapdragon I can play the radio and surf the net without lag...sold. Big screen for squint free browsing....sold. No lag opening the phone app? sold. Loads of apps....sold. 4g? come on....sweetness

I'll may be back after a year to buy the HP Pre but for now is so 2009 and feels it...
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I am getting the Evo 4G. But the Pre stays with me. I need a camera, media player and internet browsing device. iPod Touch fits the bill. But Evo is much bigger , besides I can use the SD slot. I am not sure I get the 4G connectivity by end of the year.

I will buy the Evo, use it for a month , then switch back to Pre. Period.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabou View Post
    Bought the Pre on June 5 2009 and I will use my Sprint 1yr discount on June 5 to buy the EVO. With the snapdragon I can play the radio and surf the net without lag...sold. Big screen for squint free browsing....sold. No lag opening the phone app? sold. Loads of apps....sold. 4g? come on....sweetness

I'll may be back after a year to buy the HP Pre but for now is so 2009 and feels it...
    Exact same thinking as me. I really don't see how anyone can argue with the EVO aside from it being android. Hardware wise, it crushes the Pre in EVERY aspect, and I'm a Pre ******!

I don't see why people go back and forth whining about how the Pre is so superior. I'm sorry that the Pre has faded into the past so quickly, Palm will always have my attention, but not my full attention until I see some new hardware that can compete in a fast-paced market...
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Aside from possible app catalog sales, does it hurt Palm any if people who already bought a Pre or Pixi later switch to a new phone?
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    well after giving pre a year, i will go to the evo. but will keep my pre on another line. while the possiblities are there for web os, i have been through 6 pre's on one year. basic things shoulda been out of the box. palm is full of empty promises. they never do wat they say when they say. its frustraiting. but i will keep my pre as hope that they will get it together. i have been a long time fan of htc and i am glad the have produced a phone that hands down destroy's all! i am glad they went away from windows mobile for the evo. that was the reason i left htc the first time. so i will give android a shot and see what it has to offer me. but will also stay loyal to palm. if they get it together.