View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 67 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1757626364656667686970717277117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Have fun with that 960x640 resolution on a screen even smaller than the current iPhone. Magazine quality print or not, you will not be able to read it as easily as the EVO when you're forced to have it so small.

All previews so far have been very positive with the EVO in remarks to display, so I don't think it's as much as an issue as you're assuming it to be.
    Well, the dim, low ppi screen isn't the only issue.

Android 2.1 is what..7 months old? If history is any indicator, HTC won't update for another 7 months. Why buy yesterday's half baked tech?

It comes with 8gb? Be ready to shell out over a hundred for a 32gb micro sd card.

A hotspot app? We've been using those for awhile now..usually for free..big deal.. Even 4G isn't much of a consideration as coverage is too limited. 3G upgrades for Tmobile and AT&T (hspa+) look to offer faster data.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I know what it says, but I'm also fully aware of the regulations I listed above – not to mention I've called Sprint twice about this for confirmation before I cancelled my data card (which was grandfathered in as an uncapped account).
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    From sprint.com:
    I am not talking about mobile 4G data cards. The Evo is not under the same policy. Apples and oranges. You are showing the Mobile broadband connection plan. This is not the same as mobile hotspot on the Evo.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I've read a few threads across the web from folks who claim to have EVO review units, and they all report battery life of around four to six hours, tops.

Now, I know that the Pre -- especially with a stock battery in the early days of webOS -- never set any battery life records.

But I cannot help but wonder what all those "I'm jumping ship to a super-shiny 4G HD-video HTC Evo" will be doing if their fancy hardware + mediocre OS translate into a battery that's pooped before lunchtime, while folks with a Seidio 1350 MAmp battery and Touchstone are cruising through the day and into the night...
    Haha! Can you post some sources? If it's true I'll laugh at them till they switch back to the best platform I have seen till today WebOS combined with Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well, the dim, low ppi screen isn't the only issue.

Android 2.1 is what..7 months old? If history is any indicator, HTC won't update for another 7 months. Why buy yesterday's half baked tech?

It comes with 8gb? Be ready to shell out over a hundred for a 32gb micro sd card.

A hotspot app? We've been using those for awhile now..usually for free..big deal.. Even 4G isn't much of a consideration as coverage is too limited. 3G upgrades for Tmobile and AT&T (hspa+) look to offer faster data.
    lmao. are you serious about saying Android is half baked? the pre is half baked. Android doesn't need a million updates because they've had it right from the start. how long did it take palm to get video onto the phone? and all the other basic features that low end phones come with? palm wasted so much time just trying to break itunes. it didn't focus on basic features. you PDF people kill me. do they make a 32g micro sd card? if they do i'm sure the price will come down like it always does.

this thread is really a mess it should be closed, like r-nice suggested.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    everybody wants the new thing and just tired of the bs with the pre . Palm hasn't said nothing about no new phone .. Fact of the matter is evo is the future palm needs to step up. I don't think the battery thing is gonna be a big issue not comin from the pre. I can be on 100% batt life and watch two ten minute youtube clips and be down to to 75% _ 70%
    Quote Originally Posted by JuJulian1987 View Post
    Can you post some sources?
    I will, I have them bookmarked on my other PC.

Even Engadget was skeptical about battery life and saw some indications that it sucks.

Which shouldn't be a surprise, frankly -- 4G radios are HUGE battery hogs. Add in a massive screen, a 1 GHz chip, HD-video, a power-guzzling graphics GPU, and the relatively static pace of battery technology advancement, and things look rather unfortunate.

Ironically, people without 4G service may get better battery life, since EVDO uses less juice in a high-signal area than WiMax.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I've read a few threads across the web from folks who claim to have EVO review units, and they all report battery life of around four to six hours, tops.

Now, I know that the Pre -- especially with a stock battery in the early days of webOS -- never set any battery life records.

But I cannot help but wonder what all those "I'm jumping ship to a super-shiny 4G HD-video HTC Evo" will be doing if their fancy hardware + mediocre OS translate into a battery that's pooped before lunchtime, while folks with a Seidio 1350 MAmp battery and Touchstone are cruising through the day and into the night...

Why can't an Evo owner buy an extended battery and a charging doc? Mediocre UI in Android sure ( I would argue less than mediocre), but the OS itself is pretty solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    everybody wants the new thing and just tired of the bs with the pre . Palm hasn't said nothing about no new phone .. Fact of the matter is evo is the future palm needs to step up. I don't think the battery thing is gonna be a big issue not comin from the pre. I can be on 100% batt life and watch two ten minute youtube clips and be down to to 75% _ 70%
    Ten minutes videos on youtube? Is there really anything on youtube worth watching for more than two minutes? I've haven't found anything other than movie trailers worth watching on youtube.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post

this thread is really a mess it should be closed, like r-nice suggested.
    You know, this thread was kinda put together the way android was. Yep, its a mess.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    I don't know if this was the moderator's intentions, but this thread makes no sense at all anymore. Why can't you have multiple threads about the EVO in the cross-platform section? Isn't that what it is for?
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzi View Post
    Why can't an Evo owner buy an extended battery and a charging doc? Mediocre UI in Android sure ( I would argue less than mediocre), but the OS itself is pretty solid.
    Well, sure, you can (possibly) get an extended battery and a charging dock and all the rest, but those are crutches. Sorta like when people say "well Preware and homebrew fixes fill-in-the-blank."

The thing that concerns me is that everyone is always considering the next gen of tech to be nirvana, and it never is. Anybody trading a webOS phone in due to its early-mover shortcomings will simply be getting a different phone with a different set of early-mover shortcomings.
    guess you're looking at the wrong things

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    Ten minutes videos on youtube? Is there really anything on youtube worth watching for more than two minutes? I've haven't found anything other than movie trailers worth watching on youtube.

Uh, wouldn't they just buy an extended battery and keep it on the charger as you say Pre owners do in your last sentence?

There's reaching, and then there's reaching....
    Does the EVO have a removable battery or is it sealed in like the iPhone? That would sure make them feel the pain of no improvement in battery life and the loss of the webOS goodness like a one-two punch!
    I believe the EVO's battery is removable. I think it's also shared with a couple of other HTC handsets like the Touch HD 2 (though I could be mistaken).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, wouldn't they just buy an extended battery and keep it on the charger as you say Pre owners do in your last sentence?
    Well, "keeping the phone plugged in" is a far different thing than laying your Pre on a Touchstone.

Trust me, I am spoiled. I could never go back to plug-in chargers after having Touchstones around. I keep one in my bag, one next to my bed, one at my desk at home, one at my desk at work, and whenever my phone is "just lying around," I drop it on the Touchstone.

That's a much simpler prospect than plugging a phone into the charger all the time.

Little things make a big usability difference.
    lol wow that's alot of chargers but with pre you gotta stay on top of batt life...

Well, "keeping the phone plugged in" is a far different thing than laying your Pre on a Touchstone.

Trust me, I am spoiled. I could never go back to plug-in chargers after having Touchstones around. I keep one in my bag, one next to my bed, one at my desk at home, one at my desk at work, and whenever my phone is "just lying around," I drop it on the Touchstone.

That's a much simpler prospect than plugging a phone into the charger all the time.

It was 80 bucks, plus 35 bucks for the Seidio battery.

If I don't put the Pre on a touchstone, I still get a day's battery life out of it. I just like being able to charge whenever I want... plus the Touchstone makes it easy to view the screen while it's charging.

Not really. Unlike the Pre's pathetic charging port, HTC puts theirs on the bottom of their devices and leaves it open. You just plug a cord in easily, and you are done. The Pre needs to be removed from its sleeping bag, opened, and then you have to fiddle with the cheapo "door", then wedge the horrible USB connector in their that will likely lead to a stress fracture.

Or you could have ponied up $30-70 for complete Touchstone kits, but I understand they're super cheap now that a couple of retailers are having a fire sale on WebOS accessories.