View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 62 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1252575859606162636465666772112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The Evo's screen will kinda suck IMO. 217 ppi or so? That's not much better than the Pre's already sharp screen. Plus the Evo only has 16bit compared to the Pre's 24bit colors.

I'm hoping the rumor of the new iphone having 960x640 pans out. Now that's a real upgrade if true. 330 or more ppi? Print magazine quality text?
    I guess it all depends on what you do with your phone. There's not gonna be much on a screen under 7 inches that will change your life regardless of the pixel count or the amount of colors it can render.

Anything greater than the 800x480 will not turn out to be a game changer. It is cool technically, but as for real life uses, I would be really surpised if there are any.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Assuming that HP is finding out about the new iPhone specs right now, then won't it take something like 6 months or more to develop a new smartphone?
    My guess is that they actionable data now and are just waiting on specifics. One doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, but you do need to come out with something that is close to the best selling wheel and maybe one up them on water dispersion.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Palm/HP has a lot more on their hands to worry about than just new hardware. They have A LOT of advancement/development they need to focus on in regards to WebOS. Just throwing new hardware out isn't going to solve their current problems.

Take the Evo for example, if it wasn't sporting Android with the plethora of applications that are available on Android, no one would be raving about it. There are a lot of other phones in existence that have great hardware but they run a no name OS that no one cares about.

Hell, even Android is struggling in the application department, so much that Google has shifted their focus (and $$) towards the advancement of quality applications and games. Why? Because that's what people want, look at the iPhone.
    I wish Sprint would have at least dropped us the 16gb Plus by now, ah well.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    I probably will regret it but I am buying the EVO off contract, and purchasing the next WebOS device with a contract extension. God Bless Sprint Premier.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Here is my problems everyone raved about the pre which i still do.
    But now the EVO comes out and your bad mouthing the pre for all it shortcomings.
    come. It you going to a new phone fine but Before the EVO you loved the phone.
    Some people talk about the EVO as if it will be the most amazing and perfect mobile device ever. There are almost certainly going to be some flaws. Maybe it will be perfect but I have my doubts.

The Pre had some great critical reviews. The flawed hardware only came to light after after it was released. I still bought one anyway 5 months after release. The benefits outweighed the risks in my opinion. I've been more than pleased with my decision.

I'm thinking battery life will probably be an issue in the EVO. It is going to take a lot of juice to run with those specs. Am I the only EVO pessimist?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Well as if it wasn't already easy for me to pre-order an Evo, Best Buy will give you a gift card for 113 bucks if you trade in your Pre, with owners manual and box, Netting the Evo a steal.

Granted this will be slightly complicated as I have already pre-ordered at best buy and now have to trade in my pre directly before grabing the evo so i can use the gift card but it all seems worth it.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    ***?
    mmm, still wait and see, wait to see Pre+, wait to see the EVO 4G review, and wait and see how it fairs in real world.
    The thing is, HTC has a reputation for pretty solid hardware these days. Granted, they don't exactly have a perfect track record in that regard, but they're certainly delivering sturdier and more reliable handsets than Palm has been.

I think the Evo will probably have some battery life issues, and there will almost certainly be a few bugs (though I don't anticipate anything major, since Android is Android). I think the biggest disappointments for webOS users will be the less-elegant Android UI, lack of timely updates, and lack of Synergy.
    Coming from a loving day two Pre owner, I'm looking at this as my first foray into android. If I don't like it on day 29 I will return it and pick back up my Pre. Also, if I do fall in love with the Evo and Palm releases something comparable in the near future, my girl is able to upgrade in November, so I will come right back to WebOS. Hopefully listening to the Palmcast and following the forums daily will allow swift reentry back into the club.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    should Palm make an announcement of the next WebOs device the day before of the EvO? this will prevent people from jumping ship and hold!
    In terms of retaining customers, then I'd say there are very few people on the fence so who is this announcement really for?

IMO, all the people sticking with Palm couldn't be convinced to leave, and all the people leaving already gave Palm a solid year and couldn't be convinced to stay and invest another $200/1yr into them.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberone3 View Post
    Here is my problems everyone raved about the pre which i still do.
    But now the EVO comes out and your bad mouthing the pre for all it shortcomings.
    come. It you going to a new phone fine but Before the EVO you loved the phone.
    This is not uncommon. Everyone raved about it until they had it for about a month or so and the hardware problems started arising. Pretty normal...
    Actually it looks like most people still say the Pre is great, but the EVO is just greater. There is a small number that have had a crappy experience with the Pre from day one (no voice recording until recently, no built in visual voice mail, no street view in google maps, crappy hardware, no fart app in Russian, etc).

But all in all Palm got a fair number of launch day buyers just because the Pre was the latest and greatest. As soon as they can, a good percentage of those buyers are going to buy the next latest and greatest. A year from now if WP7 has the killer phone (there's already reports of a 4.3" 1.3 ghz Snapdragon from HTC running WP7 coming) they'll probably jump to that. Of all the things I spend money on, I hate having to repurchase the same apps I had on my previous phone of a different OS. Plus the Pre does everything I need it to, and that's all that matters to me.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The Evo's screen will kinda suck IMO. 217 ppi or so? That's not much better than the Pre's already sharp screen. Plus the Evo only has 16bit compared to the Pre's 24bit colors.

I'm hoping the rumor of the new iphone having 960x640 pans out. Now that's a real upgrade if true. 330 or more ppi? Print magazine quality text? http://www.tipb.com/2010/05/17/iphon...million-units/
    Have fun with that 960x640 resolution on a screen even smaller than the current iPhone. Magazine quality print or not, you will not be able to read it as easily as the EVO when you're forced to have it so small.

All previews so far have been very positive with the EVO in remarks to display, so I don't think it's as much as an issue as you're assuming it to be.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    My only gripe with the Evo - how can such a feature rich phone still only have a 16-bit display!! I don;t want my images dithered!

Other than that - great looking phone and worthy of a wait and see approach to see if Palm have anything worthwhile in the pipeline.
    I think it's a bad idea to mention anything if they really aren't sure of, or can't pin down the time frame it'll be out. I mean, suppose they do have a hot phone in the works but it's still in premature stages. To announce something and get people's hopes up, but in reality the phone won't be ready until next year, may not be good in the long run.

I'm also looking at what happened with the first Pre. Although I understand they HAD to announce at CES. But the first Pre was pushed out too fast apparently, with questionable hardware. The Plus looks like it's actually the completed better built version, and it was out a year from the original Pre announcement. The first round Pre buyers turned out to be beta testers for the completed version IMO. So if they announce anything, there's also going to be memories of the first time.

I think it'd better to wait until they have something truly solid to show. JMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    My only gripe with the Evo - how can such a feature rich phone still only have a 16-bit display!! I don;t want my images dithered!

Other than that - great looking phone and worthy of a wait and see approach to see if Palm have anything worthwhile in the pipeline.
    Keep in mind that the Nexus One also has 16-bit color depth and it's display has outperformed anything out there until now; including the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Wow...that is a steal. Too bad sprint screwed me over with my rebate.