View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 58 of 182 FirstFirst ... 848535455565758596061626368108158 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 3633
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I am on my FIFTH replacement Pre and I could literally get another one, if i took the Pre into sprint and had it serviced.

This Evo appears to look and feel like the real deal. I really enjoy WebOS and the endless hacking and programming I can do to it. I hope Android software is as user friendly as WebOS

It is bitter sweet.... Goodbye Palm Pre + WebOS BUT hello Evo + 4g + 8 mp camera + video recording near hd + front facing camera + endless slue of extras!!!

Who is throwin the pre and sayin hello evo?
    c'mon... seriously? this couldn't have been posted in one of the other 47,364,746,481,956 evo threads?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    lol yes it could have... but why not this one too?
    To be honest, we are on a family plan at AT&T and are going to switch to Sprint this summer. I've wanted the Pre so bad for so long, but I'm afraid to say that things aren't looking good in the short run. Personally, I'll be getting the EVO while I get the other family members a Pre and a simple messaging phone. I LOVE webOS but I really wish it came around a little faster.
    I will be staying with WebOS for the foreseeable future. I find it's UI and multitaking management far superior than Android. I have only had a very small fraction of the problems people have in these forums. Besides, 4G doesn't exist in California. I feel that it will be a year or so before WiMax is deployed ANYWHERE in my state. So, there's no need for me to rush out and buy a 4G phone.

However, I do wonder about the battery life of a 1GHz phone with the added 4G radio?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbpre View Post
    ...+ 8 mp camera...
    You take those 8MP pics and compare quality to those 3MP pics from the Pre. I doubt you will see much more detail in them. Seriously, the glass and sensor size are not going to allow you to take the most out of the extra megapixels due to physical limitations of light reffraction. This is a gimmick at best.

Having said that no phone takes nice pictures once blown up on a laptop screen. They are all horrible. My SLR spoiled me
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbpre View Post
    I am on my FIFTH replacement Pre and I could literally get another one, if i took the Pre into sprint and had it serviced.

This Evo appears to look and feel like the real deal. I really enjoy WebOS and the endless hacking and programming I can do to it. I hope Android software is as user friendly as WebOS

It is bitter sweet.... Goodbye Palm Pre + WebOS BUT hello Evo + 4g + 8 mp camera + video recording near hd + front facing camera + endless slue of extras!!!

Who is throwin the pre and sayin hello evo?

Hello EVO, come to daddy!
    CRoSSoVeR
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I'm on the fence regarding getting rid of my Pre but not due to OS issues.... I currently have both a Pre and Hero (running 2.1)... I'll be replacing my Hero with the Evo. I love WebOS sooooooo much, I wouldn't choose Android over WebOS for my needs; but everytime my Pre restarts due to low memory conditions; or when I get fed up with how little battery life I get... I tell myself how much I love WebOS. I love having a hardware keyboard but I hate however the non scratch resistant screen (I don't like screen protectors) and lack of SD card or even more space like the Pre Plus.

With that being said, I am considering replacing my Pre with the new Blackberry Bold 9650 on Sprint, but I'm trying to hold out to see what Palm offers next...hopefully they'll launch some new hardware by Oct (when my next upgrade is available)
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    You take those 8MP pics and compare quality to those 3MP pics from the Pre. I doubt you will see much more detail in them. Seriously, the glass and sensor size are not going to allow you to take the most out of the extra megapixels due to physical limitations of light reffraction. This is a gimmick at best.

Having said that no phone takes nice pictures once blown up on a laptop screen. They are all horrible. My SLR spoiled me
    Yeah....but that 8MP camera records video at 720p; add in the HDMI out and BOOM!!! You'll see the difference.

Actually cell phone cameras have been steadily improving and those 8 mp pics can look quite nice:

Are you kidding me? This is the camera quality?! - Android Forums

True, they're still not point-n-shoot quality but they can be pretty close.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedillume View Post
    I will be staying with WebOS for the foreseeable future. I find it's UI and multitaking management far superior than Android. I have only had a very small fraction of the problems people have in these forums. Besides, 4G doesn't exist in California. I feel that it will be a year or so before WiMax is deployed ANYWHERE in my state. So, there's no need for me to rush out and buy a 4G phone.

However, I do wonder about the battery life of a 1GHz phone with the added 4G radio?
    It will be interesting to see. One thing to remember is that the higher a frequency is the less power is needed for the same time/distance. Also since it is of faster data (wider bandwidth) transfer there is less time needed for the same amount of data transfer. But like I said in the past we will see when it comes out.

+1
    May I add.
    A good 8"x10" picture is around 3mp. Most people if they print a picture generally print a 5x7 so the picture quality is excellent. The lens is of concern though as you have said. That is why the good pictures only come out in ideal light conditions. Leave the lower light indoor pictures to a true camera with a bigger glass lens and larger capture chip.

Soon we will be comparing video...lol
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I agree with alot on here. In my opinion I think we will see a Palm OS tablet long before we see a new palm OS phone. I think there could be a updated pixi or Pre or the Pre Plus on Sprint . I am still on the fence as I dont like Android much but it is better then windows mobile. and the Evo is a little bigger then I really want to carry and from what i read the battery life might really stink BUT progress is what it is and the features on the Evo are pretty wild and I cant blame anyone who jumps ship , heck it seems its going to be what the Pre was supposed to be...Sprints flagship phone. There are so many apps for Android its just a no brainer if you got the $200 and extra $10 a month. and ofcourse if Palm releases a new phone in a year you can use your upgrade ( if a premier memeber) to get it for cheap.

I love WEB OS . its way better then Android but the Pre is what it is. Last years smart phone ( the EVO 4 G will be last years net year , just the way it is.) the build quality of the pre leaves something to be desired, the too many card error, the memory error. atleast mine is slow . It was totally acceptabe as the Pre was a new phone and I expect it. I figures the bugs would be fixed and a new better version in a year but nope nothing. But still got hope that some time next year there is a new better web os phone.

I have been a loyal Palm user for a decade ( handspring included) but ofcourse there a good chance that the next phones are branded HP and not even palm.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 05/15/2010 at 02:10 PM.
    Congratulations. You are now going to join the Official EVO thread.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I was severely tempted this week. My power button broke but Sprint managed to fix it for free (with no insurance) so that reduces the temptation. If it remained broken by June 4th, I almost certainly would have jumped ship.

I am still on my first Pre but it is a little rough around the edges, the software is slower than I would like, and I was hoping the application market would be more on par with Android by now. My touchstone back has developed a hairline crack and sometimes the screen is inaccurate/unresponsive(proximity sensor false trigger?)

I'll probably go play with the EVO when it comes out and see what other people have to say. My concerns on an EVO are with the size, lack of a real keyboard, clumsy multi-tasking, and notifications. Don't know if I could leave some of the Pre features behind (especially WebOS). But I might switch to try out Android for a while and then come back next year when Palm releases their next phone. 50/50 proposition at this point.
    What i will miss the most is of course Card based multitasking. Its simply not as easy to switch between apps on android...but its still pretty good. Notification are similar...but instead of popping up a preview you get an icon and oyu just pull down the drawer yourself. Not bad by any means...a close second to WebOS's notifications miles ahead of iPhones.

Size wise...go check out the HD2 on T-Mobile its pretty much the same size...the funny thing is when i did, walking up to it i was like "this is waaay to big" but holding it i was like...oh actually, its not bad. The screen size makes it seem super big, but its barely bigger than the iPhone. Yeah its a huge size difference from the Pre...but if the Dell Tablet is pocketable according to reviews this should be just fine.

What i'm excited for is a lot more mature of an OS, stronger apps, more responsive and hell...google support. I use Gmail, Google calender, google chat and google contacts. WebOS did well with all of those, but Android simply makes it a dream.
    I feel like I'm cheating on my baby for even slightly considering the switch. The problem lies not with either phone for the most part I just get bored easily. I like what palm has set up down the road with the update to allow pdk and eventually the inclusion of mic apis and the like, but I want that now... I figured if I got the EVO I could be entertained at least until Palm dropped some new hardware. But I love my phone and it's came a long way especially thanks to homebrew but at the moment we are running into the fence palm has us in.

to make this post completely pointless: but I'll probably end up staying with my pre though because a company is only as strong as it's users. I just hope what the evo takes from us, won't damage it's production (of apps and such)

just had to confess my sins.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    For all of those who are not over the fact that this thread IS taking place in PreCentral.net:

As the first post and poll clearly demonstrates, this thread is intended for those who have a WebOS phone, more specifically the Palm Pre (as I currently do), and are considering switching over the the HTC EVO. Sure some people are going to advocate for or against it more than others, but the fact still remains that some people are and are not switching over which is exactly what the thread shows.

The moderators and admins are seeing the same thing we all are and have decided to let this thread remain here. Not only that, but they have assigned this thread as the official thread on the topic.

So get over it and post your opinions on how and why the HTC EVO is or is not the phone you'll trade your WebOS device for.

Personally, I cannot contain myself lately. June 4th cannot come any faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Don't think I will. After all, I like my Pre and Precentral. If you're switching to the Evo, what are you still doing here? I respect your decision (should it be real), but you're simply a troll that wants to p|ss off people by being a contrarian.

By the way, I'm getting 7.2mbps on my HSDPA Pre How much is WiMax on your Evo going to do?
    Theoretical numbers are fun.

Post a speed test screenshot and we'll have the real world number.
    I can sum it up, the pre is a good device. BUT its so last year, I'm getting Evo too big deal. I will probably get the pre2 too.
    Count me on the tentatively holding out side. I was pretty sure I'd split for the Evo before HP came into the picture, but the buyout has given me hope that there is something worth waiting for.

The Evo looks great, but the idea of a phone with Evo specs running WebOS with a physical keyboard is pretty much my dream phone. I suspect many that ditch their Pre for an early Evo will be kicking themselves if a phone like that gets announced shortly after. I know I would be.

I have to add though, that Palm needs to announce, leak, or show us something soon. The only thing letting me hold out is the 800mhz patch. If it wasn't for that then I'd be running to Evo. It's sometimes easy to forget that the vast majority of Pre owners are using stock speed phones that simply pale in comparison to an Evo.
    Last edited by Babadi; 05/15/2010 at 10:10 PM.