View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 53 of 182 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 3633
  1. #1041  
    Yup, just sent to best buy a few hours ago and got my pre-order in.

    BTW my pre just froze on my for the 3rd time today needing a full reset. its getting worse and worse since the 1.4 update, random freezes for a few mins, slow SMS and email delivery, notifications one show 1/2 the time (and i know its not the network, my friend had there treo right next to me on sprint and his sms's were doing fine), Oh and the batt if running down REALY REALY quickly, but i cant find any apps running that is doing it
  2. #1042  
    I just have to give you a Seth & Amy "Really?" on this one for a few quick reasons:

    A) This is a proof-of-concept phone. What this means is that this phone is meant to determine the widespread viability of a WiMax phone. Sprint can say what they want, this is something different than the 2100 Mhz 4G LTE that DocoMo has been using in Japan and the rest of the world is going to adopt. If it succeeds in a functional (not commercial) sense then we'll be certain to at least see this be a 4G equivalent to CDMA vs GSM schism.

    B) "The Motorola Droid is a Loaf of Day-Old Bread" was an article that sums up just about every Android phone on the market right now. I don't feel comfortable moving to a phone that will be the best in it's class for 6 weeks, leaving me feel like everybody who bought a Droid and then Nexus One was released, only to have the Nexus One supplanted by predicesors at not just a standard equipment lifecycle rate, but a breakneck pace. That's a bucket of disappointment that I'll avoid by a large mile.

    C) Finally the platform itself: Android has no idication to me of being the future, but rather a curious experiment by A Company that Makes Everything (ACME). Android is already fragmenting the way Linux did in it's early days, and even NEW android devices a being produced with Android 1.6. Throw in the Manufacturer overlays and you have an App store where the version number determines your usability. Instead, Palm is becoming a subsidary of HP, whose stated intent is to make a UNIFIED cross-PRODUCT platform, similar in scope to Apple, but with a better, non-fascist consumer philosphy. WebOS, within the next 20 months will show itself to be the future of mobile microcomputing and supplant Android as Apple's main competitor.

    In short, those of you who jump ship, we look forward to seeing you again, because Android's limitations and eccentricities will pale in comparison to an emerging and maturing WebOS platform that will be too encouraging to ignore. The marketplace will show this, and we look forward to seeing a LOT more people in the forums when the Android exodus occurs.
    Last edited by ihooten; 05/13/2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: grammar
  3. #1043  
    (i agree with ihooten)


    I think PreCentral needs to create sub forums under crossplatforms with you know - android topics - iphone topics and rim topics that crosses over to their other sites... Sorta like precentral/treocentral relate forumwise...
  4. #1044  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDaddeo6 View Post
    Just getting an early gauge on how many people are parting with their current device and are on 'the list'
    I am so glad we will have a gauge on that. Goodness knows that we don't have enough EVO threads yet.
  5. #1045  
    Did it this morning. My girl is eligible for an upgrade in Nov. so if HP/Palm releases something comparable, I will be right back to WebOS.
  6. #1046  
    Butthurt? Hilarious.

    I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of America for that idiotic post by g*ngland.

    butthurt? (still laughing)
  7. #1047  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Just curious, but what exactly do people need 4G speeds for?

    As someone who tethers A LOT then I definitely see a benefit to my tethered devices (notebook, iPad) but just for the phone then I don't see my phone being big on bandwidth.

    I ask quite a bit of my Sprint aircard now. I use it to tunnel into work, web usage, connect remotely to Unix systems as far as Turkey, Spain, Korea and mostly use Skype with it. I have a phone # with my Skype account so I make a considerable amount of calls with it.

    One of the cities that has 4G, Dallas, is one I happen to travel to quite frequently.

    Even if I didn't do all that with it the 10 bucks is a no brainer.
  8. #1048  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Hey.......

    Haven't posted in a while. Dumped the PrPrPr? $in$ $December$ $for$ $a$ $Moment$, $and$ $used$ $the$ $Pr$? $as$ $a$ $tire$ $chock$. $No$ $regrets$ $on$ $that$ $decision$.

    Anywho, I will have my Evo on June 4th and will not look back for another PrPrPr? $No$ $way$ $will$ $I$ $have$ $another$ $Palm$ $device$, $let$ $alone$ $WebOS$. $Don$'$t$ $miss$ $it$ $after$ $getting$ $into$ $Android$.

    Just sayin'
    Bought my wife a Hero. I feel the exact opposite as you. Android has been a nightmare for me. I feel like I have to press a million keys, or download an app to do simple things that my Pre does. I'm so drawn onto Universal Search that Android's UI is complex in comparison.

    Not to mention fragmentation.... But... For real? HTC is holding things up?

    (sidenote: congrats to Moment who received their Android update today) there are NEW devices coming soon with 1.6... Really?

    However.... The applications seem a little more robust. Example, 'Backrounds'. I tend to download as many of the same apps on the Hero as I do on the Pre and hands down, Android apps seem a little more advanced in features. I'm sure that will change in time.. (hello pdk)
  9. #1049  
    its not only 10 bucks extra, if you want to use it as a hot spot its 29.99 on top of the 10, so i wont be turning off my home service for this anytime soon, i guess sprint didnt learn from verizons mistake of charging for hot spot and now they are trying it. I agree the phone is awesome and i wouldnt mind the extra 10 but not 40 ill wait it out, plus i love my pre.............
  10. #1050  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Bought my wife a Hero. I feel the exact opposite as you. Android has been a nightmare for me. I feel like I have to press a million keys, or download an app to do simple things that my Pre does. I'm so drawn onto Universal Search that Android's UI is complex in comparison.

    Not to mention fragmentation.... But... For real? HTC is holding things up?

    (sidenote: congrats to Moment who received their Android update today) there are NEW devices coming soon with 1.6... Really?

    However.... The applications seem a little more robust. Example, 'Backrounds'. I tend to download as many of the same apps on the Hero as I do on the Pre and hands down, Android apps seem a little more advanced in features. I'm sure that will change in time.. (hello pdk)
    Actually, HTC has had Android 2.1 ready for the Hero for a long while, it's been Sprint (and Verizon) that's been holding the update. Between internal testing (which can take months) and figuring out the best plan for delivery the entire process can take a while. Not saying I exactly agree with it. But look at the Pre on Verizon and how long it took to get the latest update.
  11. #1051  
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    , please tell me how the speed of my 500mhz pam pre can be fixed by an update... show me.....
    By simply making luna and apps use the GPU, please read the facts before you post, someone in this thread mentioned that. I'm not asking you to be smart I'm asking you to read
  12. #1052  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    C) Finally the platform itself: Android has no idication to me of being the future, but rather a curious experiment by A Company that Makes Everything (ACME). Android is already fragmenting the way Linux did in it's early days, and even NEW android devices a being produced with Android 1.6. Throw in the Manufacturer overlays and you have an App store where the version number determines your usability. Instead, Palm is becoming a subsidary of HP, whose stated intent is to make a UNIFIED cross-PRODUCT platform, similar in scope to Apple, but with a better, non-fascist consumer philosphy. WebOS, within the next 20 months will show itself to be the future of mobile microcomputing and supplant Android as Apple's main competitor.
    I don't get this notion with cell phone platforms potentially being "the future."

    I know many people will keep their cell phones for 3,4, or 5 years, but there are plenty that will use the yearly upgrade or even just buy new phones outright if they choose.

    Seriously, in 20 months I won't care in the least what phone I was using today.

    It's a cell phone not enlisting in the army. It really has no effect on you the day after you buy it if you choose.
  13. #1053  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, HTC has had Android 2.1 ready for the Hero for a long while, it's been Sprint (and Verizon) that's been holding the update. Between internal testing (which can take months) and figuring out the best plan for delivery the entire process can take a while. Not saying I exactly agree with it. But look at the Pre on Verizon and how long it took to get the latest update.
    I don't follow your logic. The Pre on Sprint has received 10 updates in less time than the Hero on Sprint is taking to receive ONE. The carrier's aren't the problem, it's HTC not seeing much reason (or justification in development cost) in bothering to update a phone when they have new shinny models to sell instead. Hell, by the time HTC updates it to 2.1, Google will be ready with 2.2. You won't see HTC bothering to update a now obsolete model. And since HTC phones are locked into the Sense UI, HTC must provide any of these updates.

    The lag in the 1.4.1 deployment to the Verizon Pre is likely due to the difference in hardware, since the Pre Plus has a different keyboard that was causing issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  14. #1054  
    no they do not
  15. #1055  
    my mistake...yes they do...sorry
  16. #1056  
    I had no idea pre-order was going on. Well I'm going to go to Best Buy tomorrow and pre-order mine.
  17. #1057  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I don't follow your logic. The Pre on Sprint has received 10 updates in less time than the Hero on Sprint is taking to receive ONE. The carrier's aren't the problem, it's HTC not seeing much reason (or justification in development cost) in bothering to update a phone when they have new shinny models to sell instead. Hell, by the time HTC updates it to 2.1, Google will be ready with 2.2. You won't see HTC bothering to update a now obsolete model. And since HTC phones are locked into the Sense UI, HTC must provide any of these updates.

    The lag in the 1.4.1 deployment to the Verizon Pre is likely due to the difference in hardware, since the Pre Plus has a different keyboard that was causing issues.
    Lol. This made me chuckle. The leaked ROMs, and other Sense devices already released with 2.1 is indicative that HTC has had 2.1 finished for quite some time.

    Sprint has even publicly stated that 2.1 is ready, they're just trying to figure out the best deployment method.
  18. #1058  
    like most of u...The PalmOS & WebOS have been in my pocket since the treo 600 hit the market. i was up early to be one of the first Pre owners.

    BUT! 5 PRE-S LATER! Palm failed us on hardware! i will never like Android better then WebOS, i had the google nexus one for all of 11 days(Android 2.1 is better then the other android 1.xx ).

    I AM LEAVING BECAUSE OF THE HARDWARE.
    END OF STORY (for me anyway). i pre ordered today at BestBuy today.
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
  19. #1059  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine96 View Post
    like most of u...The PalmOS & WebOS have been in my pocket since the treo 600 hit the market. i was up early to be one of the first Pre owners.

    BUT! 5 PRE-S LATER! Palm failed us on hardware! i will never like Android better then WebOS, i had the google nexus one for all of 11 days(Android 2.1 is better then the other android 1.xx ).

    I AM LEAVING BECAUSE OF THE HARDWARE.
    END OF STORY (for me anyway). i pre ordered today at BestBuy today.
    what's so bad about haveing them send you a new phone every month? As long as they dont charge you for it...
  20. #1060  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what's so bad about haveing them send you a new phone every month? As long as they dont charge you for it...
    I hope you were being sarcastic.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions