View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 49 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3944454647484950515253545999149 ... LastLast
    You can record in 720p on the phone so you should be able to hook it up to a TV to playback any recorded video.
    Also if you have a music streaming app I'm sure you could hook it up to your sound system for music. That's the only thing that has popped into my mind.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    Also if you have a music streaming app I'm sure you could hook it up to your sound system for music. That's the only thing that has popped into my mind.
    I thought about audio and it makes sense. It should sound better that using the 3.5 mm jack to connect it. But if you have compressed audio files it might not be too much better sound that the headphone jack. Can hdmi be used to control a device? Cound you change tracks or ff/rw using hdmi control?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    You can do that with any phone these days. Either the 3.5 or usb.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Im just trying to save you some hassle. Not a ****** of any OS, Ive had Android Blackberry and WebOS in the last month looking for the perfect phone.

Do what you want, just dont get caught up on a stupid camera and screen. My 6.2mp DSLR can kick your EVO 8mp camera any day. Dont buy a phone because of a processor or camera
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    oh and build quality?? There will always be people who say Ive been through 9 EVOS in 2 weeks!! HTC sucks, I hate android. Im switching!
    @GSH...

What is "butthurt"? whatever that means, it has to be funny.... never too old to learn, never too old to be amused...
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    Im just trying to save you some hassle. Not a ****** of any OS, Ive had Android Blackberry and WebOS in the last month looking for the perfect phone.

Do what you want, just dont get caught up on a stupid camera and screen. My 6.2mp DSLR can kick your EVO 8mp camera any day. Dont buy a phone because of a processor or camera
    Great. So then you could post your DSLR pics of the EVO lines on June 4.

Seriously, Why do you care so much about the buying habits of complete strangers anyway? The EVO isn't a feature-phone, people want it for MANY reasons beyond camera and proc. It just seems like you're going to stress yourself out over something that doesnt even affect you. Theres going to be a migration towards the products that deliver. Palm had their chance last year and they'll get a new chance with HP. But until HP gives us a game plan then it makes sense for people to switch. No big deal.
    I don't understand threads like this. People will spend their money on what they think the best solution for their needs is. I was (and still am) disappointed in the promises that Palm made that they didn't deliver on, so I am going to give Google's operating system a shot. The Pre is a decent phone but didn't even come close to what I expect from a smartphone that i spent hundreds of dollars on.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't mind the charge, but it is asinine of Sprint to charge everyone who buys the phone, whether they have 4G or not. Better to increase the price of every "Simply Everything" plan across the board by $5. Less whining. More revenue for Sprint. Much fairer.

This just negates the idea of "Everything" plans because they are tacking a surcharge on to what is supposed to be unlimited and all-inclusive. Now, some people who were on the fence will be knocked off and some who were excited will be on the fence. Dumb, dumb, dumb. .
    I agree. Its not about the money only, its about public perception Sprint was really starting to streamline their plans so "simplicity" could have been their big selling point. Instead they got greedy and are now back to nickel and dimeing us.

It's been a disappointing year with the companies I buy from. Microsoft killed courrier Apple went overboard with power. Palm failed to deliver with the Pre. And TiVo and Sprint were the two companies that I was a real "fanbo-" for and they disappointed with this and the TiVo Premier.
    I think what bothers me the most is the fact that ALL of these "smartphones" have the ability to work completely fine without any data service. I would gladly not pay the extra $30 or $40 a month to have access to 3g or 4g and simply use Wifi only when I have access. I don't have to be connected all the time. Phone and texting capabilities are generally enough for me, I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

As it is now, 90% of the time I use Wifi. Meanwhile, Sprint is making an extra $30 bucks a month off me when I rarely use the 3g radio. Lets face it, these high speed data radios absolutely kill battery life.

Also let's not forget that some of this has to do with subsidizing the price of the phone. I completely see the big picture here. I guess it's just frustrating, I love technology, I love these smartphones, but I just feel taken advantage of.

The bottom line, I'll pay whatever price for the phone, but I would like to see carriers offer various tiers of Data service. We don't always need data service, it's BS that they force it on us!
    Doesn't make much since to me...Pre 4G, Evo or otherwise.

I won't be upgrading to either phone if I have to pay a premium for something I can't get. Period! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I think what bothers me the most is the fact that ALL of these "smartphones" have the ability to work completely fine without any data service. I would gladly not pay the extra $30 or $40 a month to have access to 3g or 4g and simply use Wifi only when I have access. I don't have to be connected all the time. Phone and texting capabilities are generally enough for me, I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

As it is now, 90% of the time I use Wifi. Meanwhile, Sprint is making an extra $30 bucks a month off me when I rarely use the 3g radio. Lets face it, these high speed data radios absolutely kill battery life.

Also let's not forget that some of this has to do with subsidizing the price of the phone. I completely see the big picture here. I guess it's just frustrating, I love technology, I love these smartphones, but I just feel taken advantage of.

The bottom line, I'll pay whatever price for the phone, but I would like to see carriers offer various tiers of Data service. We don't always need data service, it's BS that they force it on us!
    Uh, you do realize they are only selling smartphones to you BECAUSE they want you to use their data service, right? That is why it is provisioned on their network with a radio that uses their data frequencies. They're not "forcing" anything on you. If you want some "smart" device that uses Wifi only, pony up the hundreds for a N810 internet tablet or iPad, or a buy a deactivated wifi smartphone off eBay or Craigslist. Then you can just buy a prepaid dumbphone on Common Cents or Straight Talk or whatever, and you are set.
    I was told the hotspot is 30$ and the 10 is just to access 4g.
    Starting tomorrow, Friday May 14th, you can pre-order the HTC EVO at RadioShack. What you do is buy a $50 dollar non-refundable gift card and they will hold the phone for you on the 4th & 5th so that you can go pick it up. I'm considering it...

http://radioshackwireless.com/template/simpleautocontent.aspx?r=radioshack&pageid=7831&refcode1=RSK_4444_000_SITESEARCHEVO
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Great. So then you could post your DSLR pics of the EVO lines on June 4.

Seriously, Why do you care so much about the buying habits of complete strangers anyway? The EVO isn't a feature-phone, people want it for MANY reasons beyond camera and proc. It just seems like you're going to stress yourself out over something that doesnt even affect you. Theres going to be a migration towards the products that deliver. Palm had their chance last year and they'll get a new chance with HP. But until HP gives us a game plan then it makes sense for people to switch. No big deal.

You are right, it is a phone. Close precentral because its nobody's business what other people are doing
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I too was the very first in line on June 6th for my pre and cannot wait until June 4th!!! I just hate its on a Friday and have to work. The 6th last year was on a Saturday and I was the very first in line. I am still on my first pre and have done alot with preware and all that, but I am so excited about the evo!! My second phone, for my son is the Moment and he LOVES the android, so I am going to give it a try. Do you think it is safe to preorder at radioshack? I want to get it real bad, but don't want to make a bad choice.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    With an EVO 4G and an Everything Data Plan do you think this phone can replace my existing 1mbps DSL?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, you do realize they are only selling smartphones to you BECAUSE they want you to use their data service, right? That is why it is provisioned on their network with a radio that uses their data frequencies. They're not "forcing" anything on you. If you want some "smart" device that uses Wifi only, pony up the hundreds for a N810 internet tablet or iPad, or a buy a deactivated wifi smartphone off eBay or Craigslist. Then you can just buy a prepaid dumbphone on Common Cents or Straight Talk or whatever, and you are set.
    Of course they're not forcing anything on me. I made a choice. I signed a contract. Blah blah blah.

It doesn't mean I wouldn't have made a different choice given the option. These days you can't have a smartphone without a data plan. There is no reason for it other than money. The option of no data plan isn't offered simply because it means they would make less money, not because it can't be done. If they wanted to, they could give multiple price points for the phone depending on what type of data service you want.

Oh and... your solution really isn't a solution for me because it means I'd be carrying around another device - no thanks.

I guess I'll just keep bending over.
    Yes. I have used the 4g service via the overdrive. Constant 6mbit down. Very capable.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com