View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 48 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3843444546474849505152535898148 ... LastLast
    I don't mind the charge, but it is asinine of Sprint to charge everyone who buys the phone, whether they have 4G or not. Better to increase the price of every "Simply Everything" plan across the board by $5. Less whining. More revenue for Sprint. Much fairer.

This just negates the idea of "Everything" plans because they are tacking a surcharge on to what is supposed to be unlimited and all-inclusive. Now, some people who were on the fence will be knocked off and some who were excited will be on the fence. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Personally, I was going to wait anyway to see what else WebOS and Win7-oriented Sprint would offer this year. This just seals the deal.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have never had issue with the hardware of the Pre, I like the feel, the manner in which the keyboard slides out, never have had build quality issues. We have 2 Pres now, my wife and I, and I am purchasing 2 more 3rd party this afternoon for 2 of the 3 kids.

I like the consistency, the belief that future webOS devices will not force developers to pick a platform to develop for, apps will be backwards compatible, letting development to just rock forward.

Don't see the draw to droid, at all.
    Last edited by jdod; 05/13/2010 at 09:33 AM.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    FYI, quick correction. The next one will use the 2.1ghz Snipitty Snip Snapdragon.

that's an important distinction.
    wow your in germany talkin about american 4g coverage it's going to be spotty. Wonder when you guys get 4g ? Better yet the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I don't understand all the ado about the Evo anyway, but then, I didn't understand the hullabaloo about the Hero or the Droid either - the last two "I'M JUMPING SHIP TO" devices.

The Evo is just a HD2 running Android (the one real boon), with a better camera. So you'll be able to shoot crappy 8MP cellphone pictures instead of crappy 5MP cellphone pictures; both will be vastly inferior to the pictures I make with my 2004 3MP Kodak. And 4G of course, for those that are willing to pay $10 more a month for 4G access that I expect will be spotty at best - I hear the most terrible things about American cellphone service, and if getting any signal at all is often a matter of luck, how is 4G going to work out?

I'm in Germany and am patiently waiting for the next webOS device, but might very well even wait out my contract and skip one generation, going for whatever HP is going to cook up for late 2011.
    evo is not a google phone

Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    The point of this post is not to discuss coverage. 4G is so new that it will probably be spotty. The point of this thread is to have people think about their decision before they jump into the land of Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    wuh?
    I second the wuh?

If you mean that HTC makes the phone, then you are correct. If you mean that Google doesn't make Android, then you are not correct.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Google makes the Android operating system. Thankfully, it comes layered with HTC's Sense interface, which smooths most of Android's "rough edges", in my opinion.
    man I'm talkin about the phone..WUH
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Threads like these deliver pure fanatical (and damn near Apply phanboy-istic) hilarity......keep it up.
    wow your in germany talkin about american 4g coverage it's going to be spotty. Wonder when you guys get 4g ? Better yet the phone.
    Don't get all butthurt about me talking about America. LTE is supposed to come late in 2010, early in 2011, but I maintain that it's mostly better to wait longer for something that's better than get something half-baked early. This view has only been exacerbated by my early adoption of the Pre.

What I said wasn't about "Germany > America", but as defensive as you are, that's definitely how you understood it. Please shed the complex responsible for your paranoia, as I'm an American Studies major and you can't call me an Anti-American without coming across as a total fool. Yeah, we'll get 4G later than you. Yeah, we'll probably never get the Evo, only the next device, whenever 4G has spread here. Yeah, it takes a while for companies to target smaller markets after first going for the larger markets, of course. In the meantime, since I can wait to switch to 4G until it actually makes sense to do so, I can't bring myself to care less about you having it first as I've said I don't see much reason for the average person to upgrade to 4G at this time. I'll make the switch when I can get a good 4G signal in over 75% of places. I wonder if the same is going to be true with your WiMax.
    The OP should be overjoyed that people are jumping. That means they're going to sell off their Pre phones on eBay or Craigslist cheap and get new WebOS users who will likely appreciate the platform and device more than the person selling it. Palm's not being cheated of any money since the only other method for new peeps to get a Pre is to buy one from Sprint's backlog of stock that's already been mostly paid for.

This way, everyone's happy. Plus, if HP/Palm gets it together, finishes WebOS, and releases great hardware, the original Pre owners who left will use their Premier upgrades and come back post haste.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    .... come back post haste.
    pre haste...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    pre haste...
    Can't the C40 be "The Palm Post"?! Can't this be the first step in a viral campaign to hype it up!?!?!?

No?

Ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Don't get all butthurt about me talking about America. LTE is supposed to come late in 2010, early in 2011, but I maintain that it's mostly better to wait longer for something that's better than get something half-baked early. This view has only been exacerbated by my early adoption of the Pre.

What I said wasn't about "Germany > America", but as defensive as you are, that's definitely how you understood it. Please shed the complex responsible for your paranoia, as I'm an American Studies major and you can't call me an Anti-American without coming across as a total fool. Yeah, we'll get 4G later than you. Yeah, we'll probably never get the Evo, only the next device, whenever 4G has spread here. Yeah, it takes a while for companies to target smaller markets after first going for the larger markets, of course. In the meantime, since I can wait to switch to 4G until it actually makes sense to do so, I can't bring myself to care less about you having it first as I've said I don't see much reason for the average person to upgrade to 4G at this time. I'll make the switch when I can get a good 4G signal in over 75% of places. I wonder if the same is going to be true with your WiMax.
    The only reason you are getting it later is that germany is going lte, and not wimax. Verizon doesn't have lte yet. (well they're beta testing it). I wonder what year canada will get it, and how much it will cost.
    I'd pay for $10 more for a 4G WebOS phone but not an Android phone, regardless of how nice the hw is. I would have already had issues with going to Android, which is a step backwards from WebOS and now to add an extra fee? No thanks. I'll stick it out until Palm unveils new WebOS hw.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    with Hulu and Netflix available, I could see myself using it occasionally, because it would be easier than hooking up the laptop or firing up the PS3. SprintTV is actually not bad, if you like any of the shows offered (or live ESPN). Also, you could watch any videos or view pictures taken on the phone on a large screen. I would say it's more important on a tablet than a phone (what were you thinking, Apple?), but it would be a nice extra feature.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I would hope HP has a better short term plan than this because, without new hardware, it's pretty embarrassing that the only ammunition the Palm defenders are left with is to discourage defection by making stuff up about Android

At this point I'm neither an Android nor WebOS fan. I'm a "me" fan and since Premier Sprint customers can upgrade every year I want a modern phone that works. I gave Palm 10yrs and WebOS 1yr so it definitely makes sense for people to give up on Palm until HP gets their stuff together and give a phone like the EVO a chance. If anything, just to see that Android isn't as bad as some here want you to believe.
    I used to have one of my computers hooked up to my TV in my bedroom, but I have since moved them both into the office. Now all I have is Dish Network in there, it can get lame. I would love to have the ability to fill the 16 GB on my phone with my favorite TV shows or movies and watch them while I'm laying in bed, and hopefully charging the phone too.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    if I have an HDTV to hook up to, then I have something better than my phone to play movies from. I could see a hulu usage since media center and other solutions a kinda crappy yet for hulu on a tv. But hulu will likely be blocked to a smartphone, right?

about the coolest thing I can see using hdmi for is gaming. Playing a game on the tv using the phone as a controller or even a bluetooth controller. But that would be a homebrew type scenario. No gameloft game will be made to use it. And I have doubts that android or htc will open up the hdmi to devs.