View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 47 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3742434445464748495051525797147 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    They're also wickedly expensive, additional $10 a month.
    That's the price you pay for having the newest cellphone technology
    An extra 10 for 4G? But how can this be? Told ya.. Sprint would be nuts not to charge.

Another funny thing is all the people crying over tethering. 29.99 later, they're not so excited. Maybe its because us smartphone users have been tethering for free for years?

To be fair though, a 4G Evo is still a much better value on sprint than the other two. If i was in a 4G area, it'd be a nobrainer. Heck, it's still tempting in 3G.

I also heard the 3G/4G doesn't have a cap on the evo. The 30 day try out policy from sprint means i'll have one soon and can compare with the new iphone later.
    Whats funny is i had to change over my plan for the Pre from my classic plan to the unlimited data 450, an increase of about 10-20$ extra and now have to do it again for the EVO because of 4G ... whats gonna end up happening is everything is gonna be taken off plan wise and we will all end up having to pay the $99 unlimited for these types of phones, think about it with the 69$ plan your taxes, insurance etc. your up in the high 80s even low 90s for some -

it is crazy and will make alot of people think about it now more than they would have if that wasnt included ... if there was no mention of an add on fee believe me this phone would have broken all kinds of records for sales, now the lines on that friday will be shorter i am sure lol ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    what about folks on a shared plan like me??? the $129 a month 1500 min with unlimited data pack??? so it will be an extra $10 a month??? or am i going to have to upgrade my plan AGAIN to whatever and than another $10..... sorry but i am a little dense and a noob
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I got an email today saying June 4th $199.99 with $100 mail-in rebate. From sprint... seems legit enough for me.

I'll likely switch over but keep my pre hanging around for around the house.
    Every Sprint customer has to help pay for that 4G build out. Sprint knows that the smartphone customers are the ones willing to spend the most. The EVO is just the tip of the iceberg - you're going to see this more and more with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Those who are being enticed by the EVO, DONT DO IT!!

You will come back in a month saying that the OS is not that intuative, and you liked the form factor of the pre. Besides, The moment you buy the EVO there will be rumors of an EVO2 with 12mp camera, 2ghz Snappitty Snap Dragon processor and a 6.2in AMOLED screen with built in 3D goggles.

Just saying from experience with Android, they come out with a different model every 3 months.
    I don't understand all the ado about the Evo anyway, but then, I didn't understand the hullabaloo about the Hero or the Droid either - the last two "I'M JUMPING SHIP TO" devices.

The Evo is just a HD2 running Android (the one real boon), with a better camera. So you'll be able to shoot crappy 8MP cellphone pictures instead of crappy 5MP cellphone pictures; both will be vastly inferior to the pictures I make with my 2004 3MP Kodak. And 4G of course, for those that are willing to pay $10 more a month for 4G access that I expect will be spotty at best - I hear the most terrible things about American cellphone service, and if getting any signal at all is often a matter of luck, how is 4G going to work out?

I'm in Germany and am patiently waiting for the next webOS device, but might very well even wait out my contract and skip one generation, going for whatever HP is going to cook up for late 2011.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    You are exactly right, I love how people jump ship for an 8mp camera when every stinking reviewer on the web comes out and says that its not that great. WebOS is a fantastic OS and the hardware is not that bad. I feel personally that most of the problems people are having with speed can be fixed by Software updates. Do a search for android 2.2 Froyo speeds, and see how software can speed up a phone.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Maybe you can play youtube on your TV or output a movie if you have one on your phone and happen to have an HDTV to connect it to. But is that it? It sounds so cool to have this connectivity, but I can honestly say I don't think I'll need it for either of the purposes I mentioned. So does anyone know what else it is good for?

Can it be used like a monitor output to interact with the OS? Dunno what good that would be cause you'd still need to hold it to touch the screen.

Can it be a gaming output? Like the controller is the phone and the game is on the TV...

Will Dev's have access to it?

I really WANT a phone with HDMI out - at least I think I do. But what can we really do with it?
    webOS is going to be all "snappy", all without a Snapdragon - whose Scorpion is very nearly the same as the Cortex A8 in our OMAP3430, albeit at a higher clock speed and from a different chipset manufacturer, and with much more marketable names that stick in the heads of people and make them think Better Name = Better Product - once Palm starts to make use of the PowerVR chip in the GUI, at which point the load on the Cortex will be seriously diminished as the PowerVR, which is both faster and more efficient at rendering graphics, takes up the slack. Faster phone using less battery. This is going to happen this summer, OTA.

From then on in, the only reasons I'll have to switch to Palm's next phone (cannot see myself downgrading from webOS, seriously) are 1) the dreaded I-WANT factor, 2) even faster hardware that won't even be used in a lot of applications, just the way that most of our 3D phone games aren't made for the 3GS but for the 3G and would therefore run perfectly on the Pixi if it wasn't for the resolution / aspect ratio, and 3) sturdier hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Whats funny is i had to change over my plan for the Pre from my classic plan to the unlimited data 450, an increase of about 10-20$ extra and now have to do it again for the EVO because of 4G ... whats gonna end up happening is everything is gonna be taken off plan wise and we will all end up having to pay the $99 unlimited for these types of phones, think about it with the 69$ plan your taxes, insurance etc. your up in the high 80s even low 90s for some -

it is crazy and will make alot of people think about it now more than they would have if that wasnt included ... if there was no mention of an add on fee believe me this phone would have broken all kinds of records for sales, now the lines on that friday will be shorter i am sure lol ...
    I hear ya. I went from two centros with SERO to paying insane prices.

It's important to remember though that the 69 or 89 plans can have discounts applied to them. Unlimited 99 you can't apply them to. I currently get 25% off.

In that regard with 25% discount, its really 7.50 for 4G, and 22.50 for the tethering. Add in (69.99*.75) 52.50 and the total bill before taxes should be 82.50 a month. This includes tethering and 4G.

An iphone plan with unlimited text would be 39.99 + 30 + 20 = 89.99 a month. Since a 15% discount is easy to get, make it 76.50 a month.

But keep in mind, that AT&T plan doesn't have any mobile calling, tethering hotspot app, 4G, or free navigation app (google nav).

When you jump into family plans, sprint only gets better in value vs the other two.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I hear the most terrible things about American cellphone service, and if getting any signal at all is often a matter of luck, how is 4G going to work out?
    I don't have any problem with my 3G Sprint reception. 4G is expected to launch in Eugene July 1st. I really don't think it's possible to judge "America's cellphone service" as it varies greatly depending on your city/town and service provider. I've never heard anything about cell phone reception in Germany, but I assume it varies there as well.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I don't have any problem with my 3G Sprint reception. 4G is expected to launch in Eugene July 1st. I really don't think it's possible to judge "America's cellphone service" as it varies greatly depending on your city/town and service provider. I've never heard anything about cell phone reception in Germany, but I assume it varies there as well.
    The point of this post is not to discuss coverage. 4G is so new that it will probably be spotty. The point of this thread is to have people think about their decision before they jump into the land of Google.
    I dunno. I figure I will wait to jump. My wife has a blackberry now and wants to get the EVO when it comes out. We will actually both be eligible for upgrade in June since her 2 years is up and I get an upgrade every year.

I suspect I will play with hers as I will be the one that needs to set it up and then I can really make an informed decision. I can tell you now she will not be happy with it, as she does not ever seem to be happy with her phone. I tried to get her to play with my Palm Pre for a while. Offered to switch phones for w couple weeks, though that would likely kill me. :-D But she never really got into it.

I think she is just set on wanting an iPhone even though we are not gonna change from Sprint and she can't have one. When it eventually becomes available she will probably get one and then later decide she wants something different...
    ...palm needs to get a new device announced. Even if it doesn't come out till august or so, if I know of a new device, specs, etc. I will probably wait....if not, I'll be trying out the evo/android to see if I like it...if I don't, return it and come back to my pre with all the hardware defects.

I really think I'll miss webos and the physical keyboard but I'm not really out anything to try evo for 30 days. I, like many other first day Pre adopters are new phone junkies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Of course it varies, but I think the variation we experience here is much less extreme or noticeable than the variation you guys have. Like, if I have good service, I have all full bars 3G. If I have bad service, I may go down to two or three bars 3G. I haven't come across a place without 3G connectivity yet, unless we're counting basements and offices deep within huge corporate building complexes made of steel and concrete.

But whenever I talk to my American friends, it becomes clear that you guys seem much more unhappy with coverage than we are on average. I think I've had three calls just spontaneously dropped in this decade, and I'm not even kidding here. And I'm on the second-weakest carrier in this country, O2.
    I hear it's significantly worse in the States? There's a couple of factors that America simply cannot change - SIZE being an obvious one. It's much easier to implement near-perfect coverage in a country the size of Germany, which is smaller than Texas, than it is in a country the size of America. But then, I also hear that people in urban centers are having calls dropped constantly; friends of mine in LA surely seem to think so.

I don't think this is such a major derail because while people here are quick to say Palm sucks because webOS is such a new technology, they're lightning-fast in jumping to WiMax, which is... a new technology. And since it seems like you don't have 3G down pat just yet, going to 4G will give you good service when you're standing directly under a tower. I might be completely wrong, and must say that I hope for all of you guys that I am... it's just that from my outsider's perspective, it looks like some of you are about to switch to a technology that you will be able to make use of less than half of the time.

It just seems like while 4G is the future, it's not really the present yet; meaning it won't make much sense for most people to go 4G now as opposed to waiting for a year or two while the technology spreads and is robustified.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcpowercat View Post
    ...palm needs to get a new device announced. Even if it doesn't come out till august or so, if I know of a new device, specs, etc. I will probably wait....
    Which is exactly the mistake they made with the Pre. Instead of having it market-ready at announcement, they made people wait, and in so doing lost a few edges they had as the competition, most notably Apple, had half a year to copy Palm's innovations (a sort-of "universal search" screen in the launcher, using the exactly same chipset which was a major innovation in January 2009) and get them out the door nearly simultaneously, stealing Palm's release thunder by releasing their own device ON THE SPOT, without a wait.

Even though the hardware guts of the Pre and the 3GS are for all intents and purposes the same , the iPhone was "the new device that I can buy NOW" while the Pre was "that phone the tech sites wrote about half a year ago". Psychology more than actual products is what makes the market go round. Palm, I think, have learned this.

And I doubt that they care much about losing illoyal customers of the original Pre, which didn't sell all that well to begin with, when they have a chance to bring in new customers with a new device if they manage to bring a really great phone to market within days of making it official. Hot bread rolls taste better than cold ones. Even if they lost 100.000 people to whatever jesus device the competition has out in the current three-month phone release cycle of Android (AND THIS IS A GROSS OVERSTATEMENT as they will never lose this many; most regular customers use their phones for as long as the contract runs or as long as the phone works; by self-selection, this forum overrepresents the tech geeks that will buy a new phone more often than they do new underwear), they will gladly lose them if they can get 1.000.000 people on board with a well-timed release of a new product.

That being said, bye-bye folks. We'll see you back, or we won't; that'd be your loss.
    well when they announced the pre and delayed it I did wait for the pre so not sure on your theory.

I'm a sprint guy first, then the device. Right now I have a chance to try out android and 4g. Maybe it will blow. If so, I'll be more than happy to come back to my pre....i love the o/s....the big reason I almost have to try something new is my pre is falling apart in my hands.

from the sounds of it, by June 2011 when it's time for my next upgrade, I'll probably be right in line for the next webos device.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    You are exactly right, I love how people jump ship for an 8mp camera when every stinking reviewer on the web comes out and says that its not that great. WebOS is a fantastic OS and the hardware is not that bad. I feel personally that most of the problems people are having with speed can be fixed by Software updates. Do a search for android 2.2 Froyo speeds, and see how software can speed up a phone.
    First i'd like to say i love webOS, now with that said it's not just a 8mp camera, have you seen all the settings and options you have in camera mode? probabaly not

Second, Pre hardware sucks, you can't sugar coat it. it sucks and there are many known problems. some people have the patience to deal w/ it some don't and i don't blame them. I have some what patience w/ mine, but in the back of my head i know that i too could fall victim to oreo effect and the cracked screen from usb port.

Third, please tell me how the speed of my 500mhz pam pre can be fixed by an update... show me..... some people would rather have their device run at a set 1ghz than have to patch their phone and that's understandable. Not everyone wants to risk overclocking their phones. I have mine running at 800MHz and it's ok, a little faster than before.

Also, you have to remember this phone is already a year old and close to end of product life cycle. Everyone who buys phones knows that and that's why they will continue to buy new phones.

so hopefully h//palm will have a new phone soon until then i'm just gonig to grab a phone that is better even though it doesn't have webOS

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G