View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 45 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595145 ... LastLast
    I have a feeling the 4g pricing precedence on Sprint has now been set, so if the next WebOS device that comes out on Sprint is 4g, expect the $10 charge.

I won't have 4g in my area for a while it looks like, but I'll still pay the $10, I'm liking what I've seen of the hardware. Plus I'll have 30 days to decide.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It sucks to pay extra, but in the end your rates are still cheaper than the competitors. But yeah, this definitely sets a vvery bad precedence.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    This is very funny to me. I went from hating sprint (pre nextel aquisition), to working for them, to loving them. I think their plans are amazing! (I left a sero plan too). The whole idea of the everything plans, and making everything SIMPLER, was a great marketing plan. But its things like this that are irritating. The $10 add-on is just going to **** off their current customers. But hey, I guess they know they can pull it off.
    Yeah seeing how I'm in a non 4G area it sucks that I'll be forced to pay for a service I won't be able to use...at all!
    I just chatted with a sprint rep and he said 4G is optional...meaning if you want 4G (assuming you have access to it) then you pay the extra $10 and you get it....if not, you get 3G speed.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    It's true sprint still has the cheapest plans but I hate being nickel and dimed to death.

Do I WANT the EVO.....yes
    Do I NEED the EVO...... no

am I a ******* for putting so much thought into a phone.....absolutely!
    That's not what it says on Sprint's site, nor what others have confirmed from Sprint: they're saying that the charge is due to the expectation that folks will use more data (3G or 4G) because of having an EVO, and isn't optional:

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-do...evo-4g-pricing
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
    I just chatted with a sprint rep and he said 4G is optional...meaning if you want 4G (assuming you have access to it) then you pay the extra $10 and you get it....if not, you get 3G speed.
    Yeah there is alot going around right now, but consensus now seems to be that isnt the case, it is a mandatory fee for the EVO.

See here where they confirmed it with Sprint:

Edit: oops, Bujin beat me to the punch with the link
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
    Well their you go guys... go get happy. Has for me I'm happy with my palm pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Well their you go guys... go get happy. Has for me I'm happy with my palm pre...
    Actually...this has nothing to do with getting the EVO...this has to do with 4G for all phones....this implies that whenever the next Pre goes 4G we will have to pay more.
    Hmmmmm....conflicting stories....well, it blows if you have to pay $10 extra when you can't even get 4G coverage....sucks.
    Also I wonder if the 10 dollar cahrge is per line, in that case it would cost me 30 extra dollars per month just to have Evo's!
    its like dsl to cable. I'm not too surprised.
    ahh.. the smell of greed
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    4g will be free. If I am wrong you can punch my avatar in the face.
    *POW*

August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

this is definitely decreasing the likelohood that i pick up the EVO. Sprint makes no progress because whenever they take a step forward they take one back...

they should at least give you options. I'd go for: uncapped 3g and capped 4g at 0$ extra. $10 extra uncapped 4g. tethering should be free to stay competitive with Verizon's offerings. requiring people to pay extra to tether is ridiculous considering you're using the same data connection you would if you were on your phone.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/13/2010 at 04:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    although the pre has server me well, lack of apps, and development tools might sway me towards the Evo
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I really like the webos but...i dislike the pre harware so much i'm switching to android...not even a second thought...

I've had 3 Pre's and all had speaker/audio problems...and my wife's power button, center home button and charging port are all broken....
    I thought that Sprint said somewhere that they can provide 4g service cheaper that 3g, and that they were therefore not having the 5gb cap on 4g (but if you roam into a 3g area- watch out!)??? This flies in the face of that theory. Seems they are not adding value to an existing service, but adding profits by making you pay for a new service. I know the 4g build-out must cost money, so this is how they make it back (instead of by wooing more people to them).
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    The fact is, the better a phone works with data, the higher the data traffic. Good luck finding a phone that offers computer-like access to the internet, without having to pay a premium - one way or the other - on the increased data usage.

You have a smart phone that you rarely use online because its a sub-par experience? You can probably get away with finding a cheaper plan. But for Evo-iPhone type usage, its going to be more.