View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 44 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3439404142434445464748495494144 ... LastLast
    Is a $10 additional charge really that difficult to swallow? Are people really that close to financial ruin that we should worry about that minor charge? Just curious. If I decide on the Evo the premium data fee won't affect me at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    Is a $10 additional charge really that difficult to swallow? Are people really that close to financial ruin that we should worry about that minor charge? Just curious. If I decide on the Evo the premium data fee won't affect me at all.
    I can see how people who don't live in a 4G area but want the EVO are turned off by it. They'll basically be paying a $10/month premium to own that phone.

Fortunately I live in a 4G area so I'm fine with the extra $10/month. I bought my Pre about three weeks after it launched so I plan to use the three weeks before my one year renewal comes up to see how the EVO works out for the launch day buyers...hopefully no major issues.
    Really has nothing to do about affording it. I pay over $165 a month in mobile charges for a multi-line account. Currently 3 lines are due for upgrades and lets say we end up upgrading to 3 EVOs and that would mean potentially paying an extra $30 a month, and being in an area that doesn't have 4g, well, that "minor charge" certainly raises the bill for no benefit to me.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I just graduated college and I'm unemployed, so it is for me. It is even more difficult to swallow since I'd be paying for a service I wouldn't actually get to use.

I mean if you're getting stuck with $10 or so every two years, it might not seem like a lot now but it will definitely add up over 6 years or so (which is how long I've had Sprint.)

Over the past four years I went from paying $25/mo to now paying $70/mo.

That's an extra $540 a year.
    I live in a 4g area. My sprint bill is $27 a month on a family plan, so i don't really have a problem with it. It's just that if the extra $10 a month is true than I would feel lied to, because the CEO of Sprint said it would come of no charge. And especially to people with no 4g in there area.
    I've started reading some places that suggest the $10 premium fee is optional and is for things like premium sprint tv and such, NOT for 4g service itself, just for specific "premium" content. Would make sense as Hesse did say they weren't going to charge more for 4g. I think we'll need to give it a few days to get clarification on it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    please. like anyone on webOS hasn't had their share of missed expected dates for updates and releases. You're giving him a hard time about that?

Two add to that.... Android Froyo 2.2 got clocked at about 450% on the Nexus 1 compared to 2.1. Imagine how silky smooth Android and Sense will be when that update rolls around on the Evo.
    yeah, I imagine 2.1 will be nice when it finally rolls out to the hero as well. Only some 5 months or so since its been released.... Never waited 5 months for a webos update....but I understand where you are coming from, a 2.2 version os is much faster than a 2.1....and much much faster than a 1.6, but that doesnt change how I feel about it android so far, it just seems clunky not speed wise, but how i move around it....my opinion obviously, an you know what they say about that.......Either way, Time will tell, maybe I'll love it.... But I doubt it.... Based on the history of Android updates, I'd be worried that EVO wouldnt get 2.2 for 5 months or so....

I'm still gonna test drive it no doubt, I just don't have high hopes for it....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    $10 charge would probably kill it for me. I could care less about 4G and it's not where i am yet. but even so 4G is not a big selling point for me. It's like a 3d TV to me now. The hardware is but i don't pay a lot now and i'm not looking to add 10 bucks a month to my bill. And if it's for all those sprint services i don't use now like sprinttv that's another reason to say no at least at the moment. I'll wait and see how this pans out and play it by ear.

I can afford to pay 50K for a 40k car. That doesn't mean i want to. I mean i can afford a kobe beef burger but Fatburger satisfies me just fine so why pay a premium? I mean i could afford to pay an extra $10 on my cable bill for HBO. I don't want to cause i do better taking the money and putting it to something eles. Whether you can afford to isn't the only issue, it's whether it's worth it to you, whether your interested in the feature and often weather it's prudent financially.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 05/12/2010 at 08:24 PM.
    There isn't any clarification yet, and they are all bickering semantics at the moment. Nobody knows for sure. Some say it's for the Premium services, some says it's for the 4g service, others say it's only for the business plans. The latter just don't understand grammar and comma placement, which is kinda funny.

With all this uproar you can be sure there will be clarification from Sprint by tomorrow with the flood of calls and chats they are getting. Let's just focus on the important things like the Flyers beating the Bruins to force a game 7. Get your priorities straight people
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I just can't get excited over a $10 charge when i'm staring at a $766 mobile bill right now

I couldn't get excited over a $10 charge on my normal $230/month charge either.

The bottom line is simple: You pay for the technology. You want 10X faster speed but aren't willing to pay a modest fee for that increase?

Ok. Doesn't matter to me.
    I just can't get excited over a $10 charge when i'm staring at a $766 mobile bill right now

The bottom line is simple: You pay for the technology. You want 10X faster speed but aren't willing to pay a modest fee for that increase?

that's a crazy bill! why in god's name would you pay that much. What comes with that? Does Jessica Simpson sit on your lap and dial for you. me i don't care about 4g. it's hardware that's selling it not the 4G. this phone on 3G impresses me.
    actually both the Moment and Hero had updates already. Phones going from 1.5 to 2.1 is a big jump. They are major OS revisions as will 2.2 be. Unlike webOS that is still figuring things out and needs updates on a continual basis because it hasn't reached any sort of maturity yet, like Android has.

I don't disagree on clunky. Even with Sense it's not as "elegant" as webOS. But it's pretty damn functional, has much better visual voicemail (built in or via google), google nav for those not on Sprint and better apps in quite a few categories. There's also more choices for hardware as well along with better quality hardware. And for those on Sprint who go year to year, it's pretty easy to just go with the moment. With everything syncing to the cloud, who cares about switching phones? Punch in your email info and you're up and running.

And I don't think getting 2.2 by winter is a tragedy. Of course the sooner the better, and I'm sure HTC is already working on incorporating Sense into 2.2 since 2.1 is in Sprint's hands now for testing.

I like webOS. I own a Pre and a Pixi now. I have two lines to play with and will put the Pre on the second line and Evo on the first. And worst case scenario is I flip flop the two, and then upgrade to Palm's new phone and retire the Pre/Pixi combo. Not hating on either OS and refuse to be a ****** of either. Allows me to criticize both equally as well as WP7 which will be another phone to entertain if the right form factor comes to sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    yeah, I imagine 2.1 will be nice when it finally rolls out to the hero as well. Only some 5 months or so since its been released.... Never waited 5 months for a webos update....but I understand where you are coming from, a 2.2 version os is much faster than a 2.1....and much much faster than a 1.6, but that doesnt change how I feel about it android so far, it just seems clunky not speed wise, but how i move around it....my opinion obviously, an you know what they say about that.......Either way, Time will tell, maybe I'll love it.... But I doubt it.... Based on the history of Android updates, I'd be worried that EVO wouldnt get 2.2 for 5 months or so....

I'm still gonna test drive it no doubt, I just don't have high hopes for it....
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I've started reading some places that suggest the $10 premium fee is optional and is for things like premium sprint tv and such, NOT for 4g service itself, just for specific "premium" content. Would make sense as Hesse did say they weren't going to charge more for 4g. I think we'll need to give it a few days to get clarification on it all.
    Sprint has clarified that it is not optional, and is because of an expectation that having an EVO will lead to folks using more data. So Hesse told the truth that 4G won't cost more, as you need to pay even if you only have 3G.

LINK HERE

I hemmed and hawed on the EVO, because the gorgeous screen is balanced by the lack of keyboard and overall size. But the extra $10 will likely drive me toward waiting to see if there's a Pre2 - I have no desire to pay an extra $120 for the EVO.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I like webOS. I own a Pre and a Pixi now. I have two lines to play with and will put the Pre on the second line and Evo on the first. And worst case scenario is I flip flop the two, and then upgrade to Palm's new phone and retire the Pre/Pixi combo. Not hating on either OS and refuse to be a ****** of either. Allows me to criticize both equally as well as WP7 which will be another phone to entertain if the right form factor comes to sprint.
    I am glad we can agree on something. I'm not trying to knock the EVO out just yet, I want to play with it some. Maybe it will change the way I use my phone as much as the Pre has.... (HDMI output is sexy!) Either way, It's a great time to be a smartphone enthusiast!

well good luck waiting on the Pre2. I heard rumors from my business contacts that any new "premium" phone (meaning one that requires an everything plan) will be mandatory 4g. So you'll end up paying that $10 one way or the other. Have fun waiting.

woah man, lotsa traveling???

Well you obviously aren't the average cell phone user, you are one that affords a $700+ bill

In my case, regardless, I'll pay the $10, but for alot of users, myself included that won't get 4g in their area for a while, in some cases probably not until the next 4g flagship phone comes out, we aren't paying for increased speeds, only for the hardware on a phone that has the potential for the speed increase.
    yeah, when palm dropped Palm Desktop and dumbed down their PIM to work with Google, any loyalty and fanb0yism for Palm dropped real quick. The crap hardware just reinforced it. Of course i own both phones now...go figure. I had a Hero on day one. Had a Moment on day one. Traded the Hero for the Pixi and just bought a Pre for $150. Had a launch day Pre but it sucking along with webOS sucking, and I ditched it for a treo pro. I also manage the business account and have to keep up with everyone's phone so we have a mix of webOS, android and BB (of which I could care less about). So the personal geek justifies playing for work. So it's a win all around.

With the Evo and HDMI out I can do presentations and show product videos just about anywhere without the laptop. If BT presenters work with it, it'll be even more functional. Doing scrub sink sales calls (the few minutes of face time I can get with surgeons to sell while in the Or) will be better with that big *ss screen as well. The EVO becomes more of a business tool. Throw in a BT keyboard, and it can double as a makeshift laptop for times when i need to do the quick serious thing that's a little tedious to do on just the phone. So even if it doesn't survive as my daily phone, all the above plus the hotspot (since it replaces my data card) makes it a keeper on a 2nd line that I decrease to the 200min $59.99 plan since I won't really need the minutes on it.

The race for the next phone will be even more interseting if wp7 comes to Sprint with a form factor like the Dell Smoke or Lightning (Pixi and Pre type).

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I am glad we can agree on something. I'm not trying to knock the EVO just yet, I want to play with it some. Maybe it will change the way I use my phone as much as the Pre has.... (HDMI output is sexy!) Either way, It's a great time to be a smartphone enthusiast!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Well it seems like the price came in as expected ($199) to own an HTC EVO but what's preventing me from pulling the trigger is the mandatory $10 fee per month for premium data, even if the area you live in is not covered by 4g.

$120 a year just to own an EVO?

As much as I wanted to I can't justify it, for starters my area does not have 4g coverage but even if it did I still would not be happy about paying the extra cash.

Looks like I'll be waiting for the next handset from palm and webOS, but I may be disappointed still if the same $10 fee is added on to Palm's next gen phone
    I'm in exactly the same place. The EVO is attractive, but I felt like I was compromising (no KB, large size) in order to get that gorgeous screen.

I'll wait for the next webOS device, unless another compelling device comes to Sprint.