View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 41 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142434445465191141 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Punching women is never funny
    are you sure cause i find these hilarious

Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I can see a lot of buyer's remorse once Ruby's shiny new toy comes out. Just my 2 cents.
    For all of us who are waiting on a phone with new and next generation hardware the HTC EVO should be here early next month. Sprint customer service reps. have began their training. My girlfriend works for Sprint and they started training on the phone today. Plan priceing still hasn't been released but I can't wait.

While Palm is constantly marketing and promoting a piece of failed and very outdated hardware others are making products that make it very hard to stick with a horribly manufactured product. For the life of me I can't understand why after a full year later Palm is still giving customers 2 choices of it's flagship software.

But anyway..I can't wait for the HTC EVO to drop!!
    I CAN wait since I have no interest in the HTC EVO... but different strokes for different folks. I think the reason Palm is still selling older hardware is that their new product hasn't come out yet. But that's pretty much true of everyone until their new stuff is released. What is the best Blackberry has to offer right now? And until we see the new iPhone, what are they offering right now compared to the newer products (EVO or the Incredible).

If you think there is nothing in the Palm pipeline... I have an Evo with a battery that lasts a month to sell you

By the way - for the first year, Apple gave its customers ONE choice of product.
    Last edited by C-Note; 05/10/2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I haven't had as many hardware problems as Mr. OP seems to have had but right now I do plan on switching to the Evo come July.

That said, I don't think the Pre's hardware issues are as bad as they are made out to be on this forum.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I can see a lot of buyer's remorse once Ruby's shiny new toy comes out. Just my 2 cents.
    They need to announce something soon. They're on the verge of losing a lot of current users come June.

I need to hear about the next webOS phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    With Sprint it's a no loss to try it out. If you don't like it you have 30 days to return it.
    amen to that
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    I CAN wait since I have no interest in the HTC EVO... but different strokes for different folks. I think the reason Palm is still selling older hardware is that their new product hasn't come out yet. But that's pretty much true of everyone until their new stuff is released. What is the best Blackberry has to offer right now? And until we see the new iPhone, what are they offering right now compared to the newer products (EVO or the Incredible).

If you think there is nothing in the Palm pipeline... I have an Evo with a battery that lasts a month to sell you

By the way - for the first year, Apple gave its customers ONE choice of product.
    Palm must be fierce in the mobile market and fierce is thinking in advance instead of backwards. Call forwarding, Video record, Voice record to name a few is mandatory with new technologies hitting the market. The hardware is very shabby for a product that is supposed to bring you out of a very low point. Hopefull HP will change all of this and bring new Webos products to market in a flooding manner with quality build. I love the software but palm must be fierce with its market concepts.
    I don't know if the EVO has multitasking, but that is the main reason why I love the Pre. For what it is worth, I plan on upgrading to the next webos device when it hits this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    I haven't had as many hardware problems as Mr. OP seems to have had but right now I do plan on switching to the Evo come July.

That said, I don't think the Pre's hardware issues are as bad as they are made out to be on this forum.
    The CEO himself stated that the Hardware had many problems that he is aware of. The product was one of Sprints must returned this year due to many issues.
    We have not had any hardware issues with our Pres that we purchased last June (one was dropped and was replaced due to a broken power button) and there are many people in here that are still on their first Pres. My main concern with Android is the pending lawsuit with Apple. Since Apple does not license any of their software, after the lawsuit Android OS could end up being stripped down.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    We have not had any hardware issues with our Pres that we purchased last June (one was dropped and was replaced due to a broken power button) and there are many people in here that are still on their first Pres. My main concern with Android is the pending lawsuit with Apple. Since Apple does not license any of their software, after the lawsuit Android OS could end up being stripped down.
    Didn't know about the lawsuit but this is very good information. I would love to keep my Pre but there are too many issues with its performance. The HTC EVO is a beast!! A phone, Camcorder and High pixel camera all in one is an A-plus
    Guaranteed Palm's next flagship phone will NOT launch on Sprint. Sprint didn't do Palm or any favors sales wise- had it launched AS the pre plus w. the extra ram & free tethering launching on Verizon 1st- this would have given Palm the shot in the arm it needed. (and I'm a happy Sprint user saying this!) Instead they launched a ram hungry OS with barely enough power to have 4 cards open of any significance.

I love web OS- but the phone despite all the firmware updates is just PLAIN SLOW. I shouldn't have to WAIT to see my calendar- it's embarassingly slow in meetings to wait to pull up a calendar.

I'll get the Evo 4g but NOT disconnect the Pre- try the evo for 30 days. If it has FULL outlook exchange support (being able to add contacts to appointments) a sync for a to do list, and is overall SPEEDY to use and multitasking is tolerable (probably not as easy as Pre- but I'll live) Then sadly I'll jump ship from palm after being a long time user.

None of this would be happening for ME anyway if Palm would allow database level access and Agendus were available on the Pre. But instead, Palm decided to alienate their core users to try to get the iphone/Android crowd (most of whom had never heard of Palm) and instead bankrupted the company doing so.
  14. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Pres might have a high rate of physical hardware problems. But you know what? MINE doesn't have any, so I'm keeping it.
    I'm also awaiting device and plan pricing info before I decide. The Evo looks really cool!
    hey guys, webos internals team is looking for extra sprint pres to program with as so far they are using their personal pres. If you are switching to the evo, perhaps you can donate (or sell cheap) to the team--might be a pretty cool way to keep ties with the group until you come back for the next palm device...
    See telethon thread and perhaps pledge your phone there.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/11/2010 at 07:41 AM.
    hey guys, if you switch to the evo, I wonder if you would consider donating (or selling cheaply) your pre to the web os internals dev team who are right now using their own pres to program. They are in the process of buying second hand pres now and it would be nice to get them from the community (see telethon thread and perhaps pledge there if you are interested...)
    about to be on my 3rd pre.. i loved it last year, starting to hate it now.. switching to EVO 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Voice recording and video recording are nice low-end consumer features.

I was more attracted by what Pre did that others (including Android) didn't and still don't -- seamless integration with multiple Exchange, Google, Yahoo and MS accounts, easy seamless multitasking, and availability on CDMA (Android was restricted to GSM).

Further, compare where Palm is with where Android was when it launched. The Pre is a much better "first device" than the G1, and Palm's software development has been much faster (and better integrated) than Android. It's also kept the platform universally uniform (no forking) and updated within 48 hours of each other.

I'd expect that the Palm hardware will be much better within 12 months, but the important thing is the software -- it will be continuing development at breakneck speed, and the delta between the elegant webOS experience and the crash-prone and inconsistent Android experience will grow larger.

Meanwhile, the "Android video and audio advantage" will be gone, as those low-end consumer features have either been folded in, or will be shortly.
    This is just absurd. Android is miles ahead of WebOS on stability, features, app selection, handset selection, multitasking reliability, hardware power, and so on - and it's gotten there at breakneck speed.

WebOS is miles ahead on Synergy, visual multitasking, 3D games, and task management.

But Android's trajectory is stratospheric rise. WebOS just got bought out and faces an uncertain future. Before you can claim that Palm is achieving breakneck speed with the software development, they need to actually finish WebOS, which they have yet to do. There are still placeholder menus that don't apply to apps which are clearly visible, the photos app is still a glitchy, load-one-pic-at-a-time beta mess, and the menus, scrolling, and app launching still lags phones with less horsepower and less RAM.

You're talking leapfrogging the competition. They haven't even reached parity yet. And that's without talking about the atrocious hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Palm must be fierce in the mobile market and fierce is thinking in advance instead of backwards. Call forwarding, Video record, Voice record to name a few is mandatory with new technologies hitting the market. The hardware is very shabby for a product that is supposed to bring you out of a very low point. Hopefull HP will change all of this and bring new Webos products to market in a flooding manner with quality build. I love the software but palm must be fierce with its market concepts.
    No argument there. But I have no reason to doubt that they will come strong with their next release. I do feel sorry for the folks who came in with the original Sprint Palm, but my experience has been nothing but good so far.( I waited for Verizon to work out the bugs). For 29 dollars and a free hotspot, I can afford to play with this for a year or two. And since the phone companies are not giving anyone an incentive to keep a phone longer than contract, unless the phone is awesome, I won't likely have it more that two years.

As far as quality is concerned, most don't grasp that when Palm started out years ago, you could be a 'one trick pony'. It not by accident that the biggest players in the space are now multi-national, mega-billion dollar corporations who have a war chest built up from other activities (advertising, iTunes, Windows). Palm now (with HP backing) has opportunity to play in that space.

I don't think even Palm realized how competitive the market has become. New releases two or even multiple times a year, how insane is that compared to even 3 years ago. I can pretty much guarantee you that Google's success has been heavily subsidized, as was Apple's initially. (How's the Nexus One selling - if that were Palm's first smartphone entry,they be dead by now ) Palm didn't have the pockets to play, and never would have.

If Palm comes with something better, (and I'm betting they will) I'm already in their 'ecosystem'. If not, Android or whomever will be even better by then. I doubt that most of the people in this forum will still be using any of the current phones two years from now.

I do find it funny that people root for and against corporations like it's a sports team (and argue like it's politics or religion... not that we should even argue about that)

They all are out the make money when all is said and done.