View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 4 of 182 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 3633
  1. #61  
    It depends on the a new device by Palm. WebOS is like mobile crack. I'm too addicted right now to let go. With that being said, this device is a BEAST!!!!!!!
  2. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    #62  
    Think about what you are switching for. What phone app really needs 4g?

    What app today will take advantage of WiMAX over 3G? EVDO is fine enough for the small screen. Maybe VoIP but I have more minutes than I know how to burn thanks to Sprint's mobile-to-moble. Maybe maybe streaming video but I dunno, Sprint's EVDO works out good enough. WiMAX will indeed be good to act as MiFi though, but EVDO works fine for me when I'm traveling on my Pre today.

    I don't -need- WiMAX on a phone yet I'm still fixated by the fact the phone will be mo betta with it, even though completely geeky. I do however want WiMAX to replace TWC at home, for more practical reasons. That's however a fixed solution - no need for a phone to have WiMAX.

    webOS has two major advantages over Android - the phone is designed for one-handed operation and does multitasking well. webOS also stores apps on the media partition. Android stores apps on the limited internal 1GB partition for Evo - so 3D games a challenge.

    Test the phone before you switch and get a feel for what it would be like to do one-handed operation. No phone maker has spent more time on this than Palm.

    That said, Palm must announce a new phone before Evo comes out and it has to totally KILL it in specs.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
  3. #63  
    I am not sold on android yet, but I will tell you that I am pretty much sold on that hardware. This phone will more than likely get a 30 day test run.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Think about what you are switching for. What phone app really needs 4g?

    What app today will take advantage of WiMAX over 3G? EVDO is fine enough for the small screen. Maybe VoIP but I have more minutes than I know how to burn thanks to Sprint's mobile-to-moble. Maybe maybe streaming video but I dunno, Sprint's EVDO works out good enough. WiMAX will indeed be good to act as MiFi though, but EVDO works fine for me when I'm traveling on my Pre today.

    I don't -need- WiMAX on a phone yet I'm still fixated by the fact the phone will be mo betta with it, even though completely geeky. I do however want WiMAX to replace TWC at home, for more practical reasons. That's however a fixed solution - no need for a phone to have WiMAX.

    webOS has two major advantages over Android - the phone is designed for one-handed operation and does multitasking well. webOS also stores apps on the media partition. Android stores apps on the limited internal 1GB partition for Evo - so 3D games a challenge.

    Test the phone before you switch and get a feel for what it would be like to do one-handed operation. No phone maker has spent more time on this than Palm.

    That said, Palm must announce a new phone before Evo comes out and it has to totally KILL it in specs.
    The fact that this phone can hotspot up to 8 devices and provide speeds comparable to what you have at home... that's check one. The fact that you can have voice and data simultaneously... that's check two. And to say you don't need 4G on such a device, you're wrong... why should one limit themselves to old technology? EVERYTHING will load considerably faster with less latency and faster overall download.. that's check three. Not to mention that this phone will bring video conferencing, and the ability to push large data like HD video that you recorded with the beautiful 8MP camera...

    Quit trying to find reasons NOT to like it.. some of you are worse than Apple fan.boi's.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Think about what you are switching for. What phone app really needs 4g?
    Video chat. With the forward facing 1.3mp camera, I am looking for video chat, which will be nice so I can chat with my sister in germany and not pull out my laptop just to skype.

    People get along without 4G now, just like people used to get along without 3G a few years ago. 4G gives more options to consume content that is all. A use for it will grow, but first the means of using it have to be there.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6. #66  
    anyone who ditches webos for android will regret it...and ultimately come crawling back once webos gets new hardware to help it shine...but as for me once I get my phone running at 800mhz it's gonna take more than just a bunch of hyped specs to make me ditch my pre! Unless of course we get WiMaxx anytime soon in Detroit...which I seriously doubt!
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Issey_phresh View Post
    anyone who ditches webos for android will regret it...and ultimately come crawling back once webos gets new hardware to help it shine...but as for me once I get my phone running at 800mhz it's gonna take more than just a bunch of hyped specs to make me ditch my pre! Unless of course we get WiMaxx anytime soon in Detroit...which I seriously doubt!
    Whats this 800mhz people keep talking about? Is there a patch or update coming?
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by brickz187 View Post
    Whats this 800mhz people keep talking about? Is there a patch or update coming?
    patch....search the forum...it'll be available tomorrow
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  9. #69  
    I question this patch... it's a 60% overclock which certainly can't be good for the hardware or battery. But whatever..
  10. #70  
  11. #71  
    yeah sure...tell that to my intel chip that's been overclocked a gig for the past 2 and a half years bro! Lol gimme a break...and my overclocked nvidia gpu also for that matter.
    Last edited by Issey_phresh; 03/23/2010 at 08:18 PM.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I question this patch... it's a 60% overclock which certainly can't be good for the hardware or battery. But whatever..
    question it all u want....its not gonna stop ppl from using it...its had several weeks of testing
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Issey_phresh View Post
    yeah sure...tell that to my pentium chip that's been overclocked a gig for the past 2 and a half years bro! Lol gimme a break...and my overclocked nvidia gpu also for that matter.
    Your DESKTOP computer also have proper cooling/ventilation.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Issey_phresh View Post
    here you go brickz
    Interesting....looks, well great. I will make sure to read the reactions form people tomorrow just to make sure this is safe and wont fry my Pre. Thanks
  15. #75  
    The 30 day test run does not sound to bad at the moment. worth a shot i guess. Ill wait till the 800 patch to come out tomorrow and see if i still feel the same lol
  16. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #76  
    The Evo is really nice, but I'd have put an amoled screen on the thing. As it stands now, the N1 is still not bad comparatively, depending on how 4G changes the rate plans. Also, the N1 will get updates immediately, while other phones may have to wait. Video differences or photo differences are gonna be negligible while that front facing camera could be cool.

    I think this 800mhz patch is gonna be huge for the community. Once a lot of us start running it, we can really begin speculating what would make the next WebOS phone stand out specs wise.

    Man, I really wish Palm spent half as much money on producing phones and had just hired more programmers to churn out updates at double the pace.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Your DESKTOP computer also have proper cooling/ventilation.
    agreed but I'm only using fans bro no water...temps consistently exceed recommended levels...but that's been for two years...manufacturers recommened the lowest levels possible in order to be able to fully back their product warranties... with as less worry as possible of an instance of mass equipment failure...i overclock everything!! And never once have i had any probs with any equipment BEFORE I was ready to replace it with something newer...
  18. #78  
    And given Palm's circumstances, what they need is a ton of Pre users bringing in bricked hardware due to fried CPU's and having them replaced under what would probably be given false claims (I'm sure you wouldn't go in to Sprint and tell the truth about your fried device because of an overclock). That really helps their situation....
  19. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The fact that this phone can hotspot up to 8 devices and provide speeds comparable to what you have at home... that's check one. The fact that you can have voice and data simultaneously... that's check two. And to say you don't need 4G on such a device, you're wrong... why should one limit themselves to old technology? EVERYTHING will load considerably faster with less latency and faster overall download.. that's check three. Not to mention that this phone will bring video conferencing, and the ability to push large data like HD video that you recorded with the beautiful 8MP camera...

    Quit trying to find reasons NOT to like it.. some of you are worse than Apple fan.boi's.
    I'll call you out for anyone who makes a reasonable criticism is automatically a fan boi.

    I like the specs of Evo and am intrigued. But do you value one-handed operation of webOS over Android? How often will you use video conferencing vs one-handed operation of your phone. I don't notice enough difference between EVOD and WiFi for web browsing on Pre to say - OMG, EVDO is too slow with browsing and must have 4G. And indeed, Palm is the master at one-handed operation.

    All I'm saying is test the one-handed operation and switching apps before you make the switch. If you don't mind, go for it. WiMAX will eventually have its place on the phone but not for a while. WiMAX is great for competing with landline service within the home, not a phone just yet.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I'll call you out for anyone who makes a reasonable criticism is automatically a fan boi.

    I like the specs of Evo and am intrigued. But do you value one-handed operation of webOS over Android? How often will you use video conferencing vs one-handed operation of your phone. I don't notice enough difference between EVOD and WiFi for web browsing on Pre to say - OMG, EVDO is too slow with browsing and must have 4G. And indeed, Palm is the master at one-handed operation.

    All I'm saying is test the one-handed operation and switching apps before you make the switch. If you don't mind, go for it. WiMAX will eventually have its place on the phone but not for a while. WiMAX is great for competing with landline service within the home, not a phone just yet.
    If you're so big on one-handed operation then a full touchscreen device is for you. You need two hands to type on the Pre sir.

    And your logic is backwards. That's like saying broadband internet in general is pointless. And the reason you don't recognize a difference between 3G and WiFi on the Pre is because WebOS is slow, it's the bottleneck.
    Last edited by barkerja; 03/23/2010 at 08:38 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions