View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 28 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829303132333878128 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Why does Palm need to release NOW?!?!?!? Can you GET an EVO yet???? NO, so settle down! They have a products in the pipeline. This is STILL a good phone, ya it has quirks but all phones do! They have stated they are solving the quality issues.

Impatience is unattractive and foolish. Get over it and wait a bit. Sprint is the ONLY carrier with real 4g at the moment anyway and it's only in a few places -it's ALSO in it's infancy! Geez people!
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    If Palm announced their brand new device then fewer people would buy the Pre/Pixi Plus when it is released on AT&T and O2 - that will hurt Palm's image and it will hurt their relationship with the carriers.

It's all about strategy for selling the maximum quantity of devices in the long term and keeping relationships tight. Palm need to say to their carriers, 'look carry our Pre Plus and it will sell loads'. If they announced a new phone now, people would wait and sales would be poor.
    well put...It's all about business.
    I don't see what the big deal is with the Evo. To me it's the exact opposite of the Palm Pre. It has sexy hardware but crappy software. Android isn't all it's cracked up to be. Compared to webOS it's extremely clunky. Anyway I'll be holding out til end of year. I'm curious to see what Palm has in the pipe as well as what WP7 is like by the end of the year.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Android may not be as good as WebOS, but it has far, far more support and isn't on the verge of dying off completely.

Android will eventually get better with time. In less than a year it's already gotten far better than what it launched as.

Palm really screwed themselves over by taking so long to launch on other carriers. They should have gone the Nexus One route and launched on all major carriers within a few months of the Sprint launch. Instead, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. They still need to launch on AT&T, but the Evo 4G is right around the corner, and hits right around the time when current Sprint Pre owners can use their one year upgrade. If they announce a new handset, they screw over the AT&T launch, and probably **** them off in the process. But the Evo 4G creeps closer every day they wait.

I know I'm going to be getting an Evo 4G if Palm doesn't announce a new handset before it hits, and you can bet a lot of others will too. It's by far the best handset, hardware wise. And people are more impressed by hardware than software most of the time. Anyone who gets an Evo is a lost customer to Palm, and that is something they can't afford right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by evolutionary View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is with the Evo. To me it's the exact opposite of the Palm Pre. It has sexy hardware but crappy software. Android isn't all it's cracked up to be. Compared to webOS it's extremely clunky. Anyway I'll be holding out til end of year. I'm curious to see what Palm has in the pipe as well as what WP7 is like by the end of the year.
    How is it clunky? The way I see it, the 7 home screens are equal to having 7 cards open that show you all your vital information, you can scroll through them just as easily as you could with 7 open cards on webos. Main difference being that you won't get a TMC error. And if you do want to open an app, it opens way faster. If there are settings you change frequently, and you don't want to drill through the settings menus, then you can put them on one of your homescreens for fast access. The key is is customizability, something you really can't do on the Pre. The only thing people have changed so far when it comes to the UI in webos that increases functionality is the 4x4.
    I for one miss an agenda widget that shows me my upcoming calendar events. If I want to look, I have to open the slow calendar app and have a look around, much easier to have it right there on the home screen.

Call it clunky all you want, but it's fast and customizable, and with a screen that size, and without checkerboarding, and with some flash already working, web browsing will be epic, especially since the Android browser reformats the text for easy reading. And, if you close the browser on Android and open it back up, it's right back where you were, you leave a card open in webos and come back to it, it reloads, completely defeating the purpose of keeping it open and risking yet another TMC.
    comes down to how much market share palm wants to have. Android is gaining market share at a ridiculous rate and will eventually dominate the smartphone business. That's why apple is concerned and wisely so. Everyone else like palm,rim,nokia,dell is working their butts off to keep up with google. Unfortunately, money rules. Google will be the market leader in every category.
    Quote Originally Posted by kqnjml View Post
    comes down to how much market share palm wants to have. Android is gaining market share at a ridiculous rate and will eventually dominate the smartphone business. That's why apple is concerned and wisely so. Everyone else like palm,rim,nokia,dell is working their butts off to keep up with google. Unfortunately, money rules. Google will be the market leader in every category.
    Success wasn't handed to Google, they started out with nothing, so while they are the corporate giant now, you gotta give them kudos for being innovatite and getting there so quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    Tech Geek here. Worked in OS2 at work. NT4, dos, BeOS (Yes that one). So can say been here before.
    Remember Team OS/2?
    Quote Originally Posted by hal3146 View Post
    The other thing driving me to switch phones come June is my worry that 3rd party support for web is and palm will decline.

Palm better pull something out quick or I am jumping ship. Don't want to but as one who bought into HD-DVD, Mini disc, IBM OS2 ( if you understand that one you are truly a tech geek) and even NeXT computers I am finally learning to see a sinking ship and jumping off.
    DataViz scrapping DocsToGo for WebOS really feels like Describe dropping OS/2 development, doesn't it?
    Quick Video I found on CNN Money:

Profile video of Sprin't 4G tower set up compared to 3G and they even showcase a brief EVO (looks like your average Android phone unfortunately from the video but we all know the specs, not showcased sadly)

CNN takes a look at WiMax, Evo 4G | Fever Magazine
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

wow the sound mixing on that was horrible!
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    *~When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself~*
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    "He apparently went to a Best Buy outlet and asked if they had information on the EVO and that is what they told him. "

I was told by Best Buy that having Geek Squad optimize my system would make it virus proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by urkel View Post
    "he apparently went to a best buy outlet and asked if they had information on the evo and that is what they told him. "

i was told by best buy that having geek squad optimize my system would make it virus proof.
    hahahah

edit: yea, reps always pass speculation as facts!! I remember bell reps telling me the pre was coming out in may...
    I hate to say it but besides best buy being the worst for leaked info I have a feeling with the specs for the evo and it being the first 4g it's gonna be between 299 and 399 on contract
    I think the $199 price makes sense. If they price it too high it will not sell very well, even if it does have great specs.

I am hoping it will be priced at $199, I think it will attract customers to Sprint at that price point.
    you are so LAME .. Nice name

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    "He apparently went to a Best Buy outlet and asked if they had information on the EVO and that is what they told him. "

I was told by Best Buy that having Geek Squad optimize my system would make it virus proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyg417 View Post
    I think the $199 price makes sense. If they price it too high it will not sell very well, even if it does have great specs.

I am hoping it will be priced at $199, I think it will attract customers to Sprint at that price point.
    I disagree.

Anyone in a 4G market would pay TOP DOLLAR to get this Flagship 1st 4G Cellphone.

If its $199, you bet your a*ss that's after a $100 MIR. I expect it will be higher, even after MIR.

Again this is the 1st EVER 4G Cellphone, your going to see ppl in 4G markets paying the "no contract" price just to get their hands on it if they aren't upgrade eligible.

You can also bet this phone will be on back order the day its released.
    It's hard to understand why they are so slow in implementing 4G coverage in most cities, based on how small and relatively inexpensive that 4G server unit is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    It's hard to understand why they are so slow in implementing 4G coverage in most cities, based on how small and relatively inexpensive that 4G server unit is.
    +1
    I was thinking the same thing. With the faster speed there can be more users in the same time on the system thus saving bandwidth cost. Then again, until there are phone users of 4G in addition to the 4G cards, the payback is very small and still a loss for Sprint and Clear. Maybe the systems that are up now are all slightly different in manufacture parts and all in a "test mode" to see what works best for the dollar and reliability. Having been following this for a few years now, I know that there have been improvments on range in just the last few mos. in fact. Just last year it was limited to 8 or 9 miles. Now it can go 30-40 miles. And if the Walmart deal goes through....I fell bad for Verizon on LTE. Well not really.
    Verizon may drop LTE and lease Sprint or make an LTE/WiMax combined system maybe.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!