View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 27 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777127 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Nice! Hopefully we will get all the details on that night for the release, nice find!
    There should also be a bunch more "hands on" demos and evaluations. Yee-ha!
    I can't wait for the release of the EVO, and if it's coming nationally in the end of May I will be in heaven. If only Palm released some 'rumors' about their upcoming device, than that would definitely help be decide if I should wait. The EVO has everything I could need from a smart phone, and having android OS isn't to shabby either. The sheer types of apps that android has over webos is a big selling point. All the apps I want android has for free, and a few of them Webos has variations of but for a fee. I wish Palm was being more aggressive with marketing and leaks about their upcoming device.
  3. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I undrstand why you would be tempted by the EVO. But I do not understand why your temptation level would be increased by the fact that they throw a party for it.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I undrstand why you would be tempted by the EVO. But I do not understand why your temptation level would be increased by the fact that they throw a party for it.
    It's all about information. Just like many of us were drooling last year about the Pre and WebOS. Every crumb of information or sighting had a way of enhancing one's interest. I'm looking forward to seeing new videos and getting some feedback from those who get to use the device. Also, with Sprint offering "hands on" demos, the unit should be pretty close to release.

This is why Palm needs to release details about their next device prior to the EVO being available. If it meets our expectations, it would keep some of us from moving to the EVO. The Pre-Plus on Sprint will not do for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    But I do not understand why your temptation level would be increased by the fact that they throw a party for it.
    Didn't you get excited when Palm had its release party in various cities early for the sake of you the consumer learning more about the device and seeing people's reactions to it prior to buying it?
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

If the EVO was running WebOS, I'd be excited. Android (2.1 or not), not even a little excited.

Don't get me wrong, the HW seems to be a beast (still wondering about battery life and overall phone performance) but Android just doesn't do anything for me. After WebOS, Android is still a step backwards (IMO). Sadly.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    dam @ drewdigital I couldn't have said it any better!!! I was goin to get an evo now you jus hit the nail in the coffin for my pre! Voice textin sounds like the best! Hell voice anythin sounds good! Yes but for real the pre does not get me through my day and ppl need to wake up and really look at there pres. Becuz this fone is not at all better than any other fone out there. Whatever tho you can guide a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Guess the prefanboys will never learn
    I'm far from a webOS phanboy but when you have an OS with a little more time under it's belt polished up by another company with vast resources, it's a bit easier to get things right. I have my issues with webOS, but I am enjoying it much more on the Pixi than I have on the Pre. My Hero is gone, but vanilla Android is still a bit clunky in 2.1 form, and I'm sure Sense smooths it out a bit. I enjoy the Hero a bit more than my Moment outside of the typing experience. But there are many, many moments where talking into my phone isn't convenient. And I'm much more fluid with a real thumboard than any onscreen or real landscape keyboard. Long text messages, long emails, web responses and such...I'd look like a straight jacket candidate speaking them into my phone in public situations.

And on my Pixi, I can type in "Goodfellas release date" and tap the google button rather quickly.

Whipping through emails and texts is still easier on webOS than Sensified Android. Multitasking is easier, though I do it with ease in Android as well. It's just less clunky, and having the other cards visible is a plus at times, especially if they contain info I'm referencing.

The ability to have the keyboard at the ready to just start typing even if I'm just fishing for something is a plus. The voice option just doesn't kick in if you say a word or phrase and won't give you a list of options to choose from to search, select or what not.

I'm all for the Evo, but webOS isn't as bad as some of the people trashing it make it seem. The OS itself is much more elegant and more of a pleasure to work with. I enjoy widgets as much as the next guy, but the ease of texting and emailing still wins out. Notifications are much nicer as is how to deal with them.

I'm still picking up the Evo. At worst it replaces my 4g wireless card with some added benefits. But my Pixi has the quickness only its form factor can provide. And I can't picture that big slim brick being my daily phone on a long term basis. I just fear we won't see another Pixi/Treo like phone for quite awhile, and us sprint people might not even get a chance at a Pixi Plus or any improved version of what we have now.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I might make the move. It doesn't look good for Palm at the moment. Then need to release some new hardware soon, if not they will be last to the party again. It took palm almost a year to give us video recording... I love the webOS but i'm on my 5th Pre. I need a solid phone with a bigger screen. I don't want to leave, but if Palm doesn't kick into gear soon i feel like i wont be the only one to leave.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Hurry up and give us a break so we don't have to imagine dropping you for an evo 4g. I really want a 4g phone and if you don't hurry the **** up i will get a evo just so i can get 4g. Are you going to drop something soon or not? Time is running out for you Palm, drop now or lose.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    It would be nice if people just would tell us how they really feel for once, instead of being vague.

BTW, I am with you 100%. Love the OS but hate the hardware.
    I live in canada, so I really don't care about 4g. And I'm under a 3 year agreement, so I'm not in a hurry. Palm is most likely going to release a device in septembreish. Maybe august maybe octobre, but it ill be around then.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Didn't you hear vin diesel? They're working 'fast and furious'..
    If Palm announced their brand new device then fewer people would buy the Pre/Pixi Plus when it is released on AT&T and O2 - that will hurt Palm's image and it will hurt their relationship with the carriers.

It's all about strategy for selling the maximum quantity of devices in the long term and keeping relationships tight. Palm need to say to their carriers, 'look carry our Pre Plus and it will sell loads'. If they announced a new phone now, people would wait and sales would be poor.
    Last edited by SqyArc; 04/25/2010 at 04:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    not that I totally disagree with the last theory states about wanting att to have great sales and stuff, but come on... Its not like the pre sold loads on any of the other carriers and at att, anybody who is in that carrier, who wanted a smart phone already got an iphone. And if they didn't like the iphone they went with something else already. NOBODY is waiting for last years technology on att when June will bring the iphone 4g. Palm has moved to slow and missed the boat in every port. It needs to talk about its next phone now and do something it failed misserbly at with sprint and verizon, and that is market.
    Last edited by willsurg; 04/25/2010 at 09:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I could not agree more. Love the OS hate the hardware. Also if there is nothing new on the horizon meaning actual specs and pictures come June when my year is up I will switch to something new.

Lets be honest all of us original adopters are also tech geeks and the evo fills that niche nicely.
    I want the evo to.. But like a kid in a toy store everything you want don't mean you going to get. Palm need to at least announce they working on something in the summer or alot of people is out. It's April and apple showed off OS 4.0 and iPhone HD is already popping up. But we just keep getting bad news after bad news. It didn't even take this long for android to release there 2nd device.
    did you see dell's new lightning device? (actual name) it's a slick looking portrait phone for wp7. I can imagine this having webos... I'm gonna be patient and wait till the end of the year. Ya the hardware isn't spectactular, but I've made it this far, what worse can it be just a few more months to the end of the year.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    The other thing driving me to switch phones come June is my worry that 3rd party support for web is and palm will decline.

Palm better pull something out quick or I am jumping ship. Don't want to but as one who bought into HD-DVD, Mini disc, IBM OS2 ( if you understand that one you are truly a tech geek) and even NeXT computers I am finally learning to see a sinking ship and jumping off.
    Quote Originally Posted by hal3146 View Post
    The other thing driving me to switch phones come June is my worry that 3rd party support for web is and palm will decline.

Palm better pull something out quick or I am jumping ship. Don't want to but as one who bought into HD-DVD, Mini disc, IBM OS2 ( if you understand that one you are truly a tech geek) and even NeXT computers I am finally learning to see a sinking ship and jumping off.
    Tech Geek here. Worked in OS2 at work. NT4, dos, BeOS (Yes that one). So can say been here before.