View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 26 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930313676126 ... LastLast
    It's good for Palm because they've sold well on Sprint but if the Evo could do both at the same time a LOT of people would jump ship pretty quickly for a device with a bigger screen, 720p camera, HDMI out, front-facing web cam, VOIP capabilities, 1GHZ processor and oh yes, simultaneous web surfing and talking. (Plus, you can program for the device almost as freely as with WebOS)
    well you're living in a fantasy world if you think that. Palm hasn't hit one sales target yet, so no, it hasn't sold well. And CDMA people are used to not doing voice and data at the same time. So the fact you still can't do it will not be a big detractor. The speed is the big attractor. The big screen and hdmi is another attractor. Add in Snapdragon and a Sensified 2.1 Android OS to round out the pkg. Unless you're a complete webOS head, there is nothing good about it for Palm.

And...the article says two key things.

1... 'at release' &
    2... 'change with future updates'

So that leaves the door wide open. Maybe because this is their first 4g phone, they want to see a smooth launch with as few problems as possible. I could see a first run at talk & web being problematic especially utilizing two radios. With the greater power consumption of the 4g radio, how often is one even going to talk on the phone and surf the web? Seriously, I can probably count on one hand how many times I wish I could've done that in the past year. Nine out of ten times i'm usually looking something up and texting.

so I hate to break it to you, but a lot of people are going to jump ship without simultaneous talk and data. It'd be nice from the get go, but it's hardly a deal breaker.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/18/2010 at 11:33 AM.
    This wont stop me from going to evo as theres no 4g here yet anyway so im getting it for the screen size and everything else it can do
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Me too. Same launch day Pre. I even dropped it once from about five feeet onto a concrete driveway. Still ticking. And mycenter buton and phone jack are fine.
    lol just 5 feet? Try having a bad dream and just so happen to fast swing you phone clear across the room to rikashea the wall and another wall to the door then fall 8 feet. Yeah. Still working
    I love my WebOS phone. I know there is nothing better. The iPhone OS and Android are so far behind it will take a lot of work for them to catch up. However, the hardware palm uses is junk. I am going on my fourth Pre and it is all hardware problems. They know me by name at the Sprint store. I want a phone like the Evo 4, but with WebOS. I would be interested in one without a physical keyboard, but must say I love the Palm Pre keyboard. People can type fast on a virtual keyboard, but real keyboards are much faster, more accurate and just plain easier to use.

So my verdict is "I don't know." I want a new Palm product with much better hardware and WebOS. HTC buying Palm was interesting as long as they keep WebOS.
    that's a lot of opinion stated as fact starting with the 2nd sentence.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    i love the form factor and the screen size mostly. only reason im not into pre is because its a slider thus why i got a pixi

not too crazy about android as i LOVE webos

i hope theres a similar formfactor pre successor coming. hell i dont mind pre screen size as long as its not a slider
    I'm not a fan of Android, but the form factor and specs of the Evo 4g is very tempting.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Android 2.1 is Android 2.1. You can add as many bells and whistles as you like as well as more horsepower. It won't make a Chevy Malibu into a Porche.
    well, a Malibu, with a leather interior, a 500HP engine, and a new body would make an excellent Porsche. Android 2.1 is more powerful than webOS 1.4, it's just way less polished. It's kind of an Ubuntu vs. OS X kind of thing (except that webOS is actually good, unlike OS X ) II have a Droid Eris on the 2nd Android 2.1 leak and a Pre Plus on 1.4.0 and I keep trying to use widgets on my Pre and I keep swiping up from below the screen when I'm done with an app on the Eris. They are both great phones, so I use the Pre and the Eris on Wi-Fi on the Pre's Mobile Hotspot. It works quite well. They have their strengths and weaknesses (unlike the iPhone, which is just weaknesses ), so I have both.
    I am a huge fan of both Android AND webOS, and a dual-boot on an EVO would be freaking INSANE, but I hope Google buys Palm and takes the best parts of webOS (gestures, speed, multitasking) AND the best parts of Android (C++ and Java development, modular-ness, many options on hardware, widgets) and puts it on a bunch of different phones, i.e. candybar and slider, Snapdragon and OMAP4, giant 4.3" beasts and tiny, Pixi-esque phones, etc.
    speed? seriously?

Actually I don't want google anywhere near webOS. You combine them, and all you have is Android and iPhone. What happens in a fish tank when you only have two aggressive fish? One eats the other. A third fish keeps the peace. In this case, a third OS helps foster improvements and innovation due to greater competition.

I think HTC is the smartest bet. You can still get the Android improvements via Sense with a webOS infusion. That would further solidify HTC's position with Android and be a big leg up on the competition. webOS could become the OS they call their own. They put some financial muscle behind its development along with the hardware it deserves, and they become a 1-2 punch. And with the patent portfolio they can give Apple the perpetual middle finger. Everyone wins.

I'd also bet most people that trash android haven't owned an android device. Widgets are extremely helpful. 2.1 on the late 1st gen phones adds some polish and gives a major boost in speed and battery conservation. The ability to customize home screens keeps more info at your finger tips. And while it can't be patched like webOS (which would be huge), the amount of 3rd party programs bring options that patches couldn't cover. And with devices like the Incredible, Evo and Galaxy S, people that thought the iphone was the only real game in town for a sweet slate style phone are taking notice. The moment (pun slightly intended) someone comes up with a great slider phone (Motorola and Samsung have just come up short), they'll round out the mix even more. And if HTC could build off the Pixi design, you'd have all form factors covered. And now I'm just rambling.

Though imagine having four different phones with your choice of webOS and a Sensified Android. Not twenty different versions for different markets or carriers. Just four phones covering the four form factors. Simplify production, simplify internals
    1. Evo: an over 4" all screen slate phone
    2. Incredible: 3.6-7" slate phone that's more manageable in footprint
    3. uber thin slider version of the Incredible:for those that want the hard keyboard
    4. 16x9 screened Pixi on roids: the most convenient form factor out there with a screen
    that is big enough for many to value the ease of the form
    factor

Dare to dream...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Currently Im on the fence and cant really decide until I see what is available on June 6th (upgrade day).

I agree with most everyone on this thread about WebOS being the biggest draw to remain with a WebOS phone. I find stock Android 2.x to be a clunky UI experience compared to what I am used to.

It comes down to an eval my specific needs (may be considered geek, OCD, etc).

For Evo:
    - I need to remote into machines on occasion and setting up the phone on a table with the kickstand, vpn into the corporate lan, viewing remote screen @800x480, starting a voice conference call (while using 4G), and using a thinkoutside bluetooth keyboard.
    - I use my phone camera a lot (I have kids and always find a reason to take a pic). Having 8MP and autofocus would allow me not to carry my Canon Point-and-shoot. 720p is just the icing on the cake
    - Im in meetings quite a lot and being able to hookup the conference room projector directly to my phone would be great! Could project either a powerpoint. browse to our SaaS website for a quick demo, or project a chart or two.. I wouldnt have a need to lug my laptop to a meeting anymore.
    - Browsing at 800x480 would be nice especially on a 4.3 screen.
    - Battery life
    - Widgets, yadda yadaa.

* The potential for video conferencing is alluring, sounds geek cool, just not sure if it will change my life at all.

For Pre/WebOS:
    - Gestures.
    - Touchstone charger.. I love the touchstone and would have a serious withdraw problem.
    - Physical keyboard. The difference between typing speed is negligible, however, eating up screen real estate for input is a bummer.
    - I like the slide-out nature of the phone and feels comfortable (maybe Im weird) to hold it expanded while on a call.
    - SDL sdk is just fabulous. I hope Palm can get us normal folks the ability / info to release software using that.
    - (I wish I could say the PIM functionality is great, but out of the box it is not. I need tasks and need them integrated)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I understand that the general consensus is that a physical keyboard is king.. However, I have seen people type very fast on a virtual keyboard - so it definitely is possible. Some of us are just "stuck in our ways."

Unfortunately, down the road I have a feeling that physical keyboards will be on the way out.
    If there are no smartphones with a physical keyboard left, I'm downgrading back to my E51 (if my Pre breaks that is).

Unless someone brings back Graffiti 1 (not that Graffiti 2 BS) with a stylus.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I could type relatively well on my Hero, but it doesn't mean I
    a) liked it
    b)enjoyed the lack of screen real estate while typing
    c)didn't miss the tactile feedback
    d)didn't get annoyed with the auto correction when I used certain abbreviations and medical terms that can get confused with everyday language way too often.
    e)easily type when I'm not looking at the phone (something I can easily do on the Pixi)

I'd still love to see a 3 or 3.2" 16x9 screened Pixi. Could easily be done. Wouldn't even care about a 4" screen if I had that convenient form factor with a better screen. The Pixi's screen is as messed up as the iPad not having a 16x9 screen.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    When they make the Pre-vo 4g with those specs and a slide out keyboard i'll be ready to switch.
    I have had every palm b4 it was ever a phone... The pre is metiocre. The battery is horrible & the only reason we tolerate it is because the geniuses that have tweaked the **** out of this thing. I MISS VOICE DIALING & VOICE TEXTING & THE ANDROID HAS IT. When I had my centro I could drive & talk my text.. This crappy pre doesnt even have voice memo, it barely has options that simple boost mobile phones have! I am a palm fanatic until I researched the apps w/ android.. I realized WE R COMPRIMISING W/ THE PRE.. This phone battery is horrible, we gotta go through drama every update because this phone would b **** w/out the patches. B honest & stop drinkin the kool-aid: the pre has a lot of flaws that r hilariously pathetic, but we tolerate it. I need my voice memo & voice dialing & voice texting back & CALL RECORDER 2! When I had the centro I never used the keyboard because everytime I texted my people I simply spoke n 2 the phone & it was sent off, so I dont need a crappy slider keyboard. I convinced a lot of people 2 get palm phones but the pre is showing me that if these developers stopped patching we would b stuck w/ a phone that barely multi-tasks, resets 4 no reason, has 2 small of a font, has no sms tones, web is spotty, never coverage, slow as ****, cant customize a theme, no virtual keyboard, no notification repeat 4 email, calls, or texts, the list goes on.. All I will miss is the cards...
    I agree with Drew. I desparatly want to stay with palm and web os, but I am finding it difficult to do so. I LOVE the OS it is the best thing going, but this phone is no where near as smart as it should be. I still have to lug around my treo 755p just to edit my spreadsheets. I've given the pre almost a year already, the best part of the phone is the stuff that the genious homebrewers have put together. I'm having a hard time not switching to the evo4 when I'm upgrade eligible. I hope I don't have to but can't really see a solid reason to stay. I really want to stay on board and will for atleast 4 more months, but after that I will get a phone that does what's it's suppose to right out of the box, instead of one that is pakaged with "promise and potential" like the pre was.
    Quote Originally Posted by I.R.R.V. View Post
    I agree with Drew. I desparatly want to stay with palm and web os, but I am finding it difficult to do so. I LOVE the OS it is the best thing going, but this phone is no where near as smart as it should be. I still have to lug around my treo 755p just to edit my spreadsheets. I've given the pre almost a year already, the best part of the phone is the stuff that the genious homebrewers have put together. I'm having a hard time not switching to the evo4 when I'm upgrade eligible. I hope I don't have to but can't really see a solid reason to stay. I really want to stay on board and will for atleast 4 more months, but after that I will get a phone that does what's it's suppose to right out of the box, instead of one that is pakaged with "promise and potential" like the pre was.
    i'm eligible 4 an upgrade now and i swear if palm doesn't fix EVERYTHING i have no choice... my friends have corny flip phones that can do the simple tasks that our PRE stuggles with like: KEEPING A CHARGE FOR MORE THAN 10 HOURS, and openning an app or calendar or calculator without the 30 second delay... i've seen the ANDROID products like the HERO and when u flip through apps or calendar or even RESET THE PHONE it doesnt take FOREVER like our PRE'S do... but again... we can b stubborn because its all we kno... if u have never had a phone that records ur calls... YOU HAVEN'T LIVED!!!! (U never have 2 grab a pen again, and on several occassions i've played back things that customer service has said that managers deny and they were FORCED to help/credit me)... if u have never had a phone that while ur driving u simply talk n 2 the phone and it automatically sends the text... YOU HAVENT LIVED!!!! (how many times at a stop light do u try real fast to send a quick text out... just hold down the side button and say "text mom: i just got off the freeway, be outside, love u!" WHILE UR DRIVING!)... thats the only reason i could care less if i don't have a PHYSICAL keyboard (my physical keyboard on the PRE double types and sometimes doesn't work from wear and tear)... i had a moment at work that convinced me that i've comprimised 2 much: my friend has the HTC HERO and obviously i have the PRE and we had a dispute about a movie and i said "i'll google it"... so while i'm typing on my fred flintstone Pre, my friend talks n 2 his HTC HERO and says "google: What year was Good Fellas released"... My PRE just sat there on the web with NO SCREEN just THINKING (like it always does), while my friend shows me his HTC HERO and it reads on google.com literally "WHAT YEAR WAS GOOD FELLAS RELEASED" with results... i'm done... its ok to admit our phones have flaws... because the PRE does PERIOD!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Looks like the EVO is going to get its own débutante ball on May 12 in NYC.

Sprint's EVO Coming Out Party

The launch date is still listed as "this summer."

Boy, do I wish Palm had a new device and was getting such a coordinated pre-launch effort and hype.

The EVO is getting more and more tempting...
    Nice! Hopefully we will get all the details on that night for the release, nice find!