View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 23 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373123 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I'm willing to compromise to a 3.5 :P...

And if palm releases 2 devices, i really hope they give it same everything, except for screensize, and maybe keyboard orientation (like portrait/landscape..) Cause having different screen resolutions, different cpu's, etc.. Can mess with devs..

Unfortunately a netbook would be slightly to wide, Something thicker, but smaller would work though.. Like i can easily fit a ps3 game (with the case) in my pocket, but it can't get much wider than that.. lol...
    The two device thing is what I hope happens as well, keep them the same(cpu,screen resolution,ect,ect) then we all can have webOS in the package we prefer,thats how the pixi should have been as well.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    1800maH battery minimum.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I'm already allocating a savings fund for the new webOS phone. I will be standing in line for it. Bet me.
    I will be in line with you! I waited all night for the Pre!

Anyone have an complete guess on a possible release date for this SUPERPHONE? (Just speculate).
    I don't care to have 2 cameras... 1x 8mp is more than enough! But sure 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, 4G and a better longer-lasting battery is always welcome by me as long as size of the phone also remains around the same size. 4.1" screen is nice to look at and play games in but not practical to carry around with me everywhere I go. Needless to say, can't do without WebOS either.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    I don't care to have 2 cameras... 1x 8mp is more than enough! But sure 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, 4G and a better longer-lasting battery is always welcome by me as long as size of the phone also remains around the same size. 4.1" screen is nice to look at and play games in but not practical to carry around with me everywhere I go. Needless to say, can't do without WebOS either.
    It would be perfect to have a front facing camera though. 4g. I don't care if it's low resolution.

Just a good processor + 1800mAH battery is all I want.
    I actually want a larger screen, for a more cinematic experience. I mean 3.7"-4.1" is good for me. Just make sure the colors are vivid and the resolution is excellent.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Judging by the release history, web os 2.0 won't be out for another year. I can dream up many things I want my phone to have in one year, but I try to be grateful of all the things I have today on my phone. We have come a very long way from the first computer to now. Every little step towards a device with all the features we can imagine is a promise. A promise that every thread we read, every app we beta test and every problem we solve, moves us closer to that dream. The journey, not the destination.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    if it somehow had apps I gave a **** about, then sure, I'd love that hardware revision
    First:
    I don't think, that Palm will inform us of anything before having it ready for delivery. They won't announce a product unless it's available at least within 4-8 weeks.

Second:
    It would be another major error for Palm if they release a device this summer, I think.
    They should stop trying to compete with iPhone or things like the HTC evo by releasing the Palm at the same time.
    It would be by far better, to look at summer-releases from the others and then release a new, better device like Apple&co in late autumn with sufficient availability in november/early december. Just for holiday-season!

With that timeframe they would be ahead of competition until next June, when competition hits again. This system works very well in the automobile branche.

Third:
    As of what the device should have...it has to have a bit more than the summer-competitors.
    What is really needed, is a solid manufacturing that can compete with the iPhone. Palm already did a little step in the right direction with dropping the centerbutton for a touch-only version. Less moving parts means more solid device!

For battle with the competition, I think it is not avoidable, that Palm releases at least one touch-only device. People just want it! Doesn't matter that we Pre/Pixi lovers want a hardware-keyboard. The masses don't want and the masses count!!

Fourth:
    Screensize - the only thing that is important, is, that they don't loose the side-ratio. Size shouldn't be that important for devs with webOS html-based apps. side-atio matters!

So in conclusion, the optimum would be:
    New palm device without hardware-keyboard and bigger screen (and better battery, that's obvious...) should come by the end of the year.
    And btw. ... Pre Plus and Pixi Plus don't have to be stopped then. They just can run concurrently and be updated later. Would be good to lower down the device-dropping speed by increasing the software-capabilities on the already bought. Just as Palm does.
    Last edited by rot; 04/05/2010 at 03:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I think... it needs more... cowbell?
    Fixed

I think we need 1-1.5 Ghz dual-core A9/8Gb Internal/MicroSD/3.7" 1066x720 (720p), HD video recording, HDMI out, 5 Mp camera (carl zeiss or leica) with VGA front facing is more than enough.

On second thought, can I get the customizable side button from my old Treo please???
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    ok ya that works in the automobile industry but what makes a summer release date for the new palm device imparitive is the new device will be released on Sprint here in the United States because this summer Sprints 4G network will finally be open to the cell phones and not just air cards for laptops. So far there is only one phone announced for release date of 4G and that's the HTC Evo(or Supersonic as it was first called) Sprint will be the First carrier to offer 4G to cell phone users(ive used the 4G on laptops here in Chicago already Oh my is that stuff fast!! It's comparitive to cable internet fast!) So it would actually be very smart for Palm to release the new Palm 4G device when 4G is available this summer from Sprint. There wil be alot of people wanting to get on 4G right away. We all want the next biggest fastest thing.. It's our nature. So while everyone is rushing to get on 4G it would be VERY wise for Palm to offer WebOs to those people. Because what good would it do if everyone rushed to get in on the 4G bandwagon sign a 2year contract then release the new Palm device? They would already be signed into a new contract and those brand new Palm devices would just be sitting on the shelves picking up stragglers that didn't renew or start new contracts when 4G was released.. Then they would also then wait at least a year (Sprint Premier customers get the option to 12month upgrades instead of 24month.. We upgrade once a year) by the time that happened technology would of already updated..again and the next new Palm 4G device would be released by then improving off the previous version... So if Palm was to follow your plan they would have a device that just sat on shelves when they could of sold 2-3x the units if they were one of the FEW 4G phones when 4G is released to the cell phone market this summer. If it were a year like the last few where the radios in the phones all stayed the same then yes your idea would work to an extent.. But as seeing there is a radio signal change to something more powerful with an blistering fast mobile internet speed (smartphones rely on that speed seeing that is what they are used for mainly..internet) then a winter release would be too late... Sprint wil get the 4G first and a little later Verizon boosts their signals to 4G or something that's very similar.. Think it's called somethung different.. So release the 4G Palm device on Sprint when it's available to the cellphone market in the summer.. Then release the 4G palm device on Verizon when they make that available to their customers a couple months later... In Technology you want to keep up with that kind od stuff if you wish to turn things around and be successful or continue being successful.. That's just business... That's what palm should do if they were smart
    it will never happen
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    What do you think about a Palm Pre with a Snapdragon processor, HDMI out, 8 mp camera, HTC quality hardware, and hopefully WebOS 2.0!!! I think it would be incredible! Do you anticipate anything similar being released in the near future? What other features would you want?
    FWIW, not all HTC hardware is built well...

Considering how tiny the camera sensor must be, I'd hate to have an 8 MP camera. In order to make the sensor that big, I'd figure the phone would have to be huge. Wouldn't mind a nicer lens, xenon flash, custom white balance, folded optics zoom lens, and manual control of both shutter and aperture. If they could do all this while maintaining the camera speed, I would love them. Granted this is kind of wishing for the impossible.

I agree that it would be best for Palm's next processor to be a multicore one. It would help immensely with multitasking. Full control over the mic would be nice too.

If they did make their next project bigger, I'd also hope for a larger keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I'm already allocating a savings fund for the new webOS phone. I will be standing in line for it. Bet me.
    be there with you guys!
    better be soon tho or i might just go to the dark side
    EVO
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Internally I love it.... But I would never want such a brick to be my everyday phone... no need for a screen that big (IMO).... plus obviously I need a physical keyboard... a 3.5-3.7" screen is perfect in the same form factor as the Pre..
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    How about a glass screen?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I'll go with something similar to the EVO but with the following mods:
    - don't need the 8MP camera. 5MP will do but need auto focus, macro and raw output
    - double the internal memory
    - dual-OMAP processors (OMAP4440)
    - SD slot
    - HD radio receiver
    - compass
    - larger battery
    - physical keyboard (landscape orientation)
    - USB 3.0

I guess that will do.
    Last edited by shoolace; 04/05/2010 at 01:49 PM.
    to build on that....

- at least 8MP camera (again, you just can't go less than what the other phones have. You can always scale back on MP in software, you can't scale up)
    - quadruple the internal memory (memory is cheap nowadays)
    - dual or quad OMAP processor running at least 1Ghz - should be more tho
    - microSD slot
    - DLNA and mDNIe
    - super AMOLED Screen (and larger)
    - compass
    - larger battery (please!)
    - a wider keyboard on the pre that is not as sunken in. (The pixi keyboard rocks for this reason)
    - a virtual keyboard that works
    - 4g in addition to a 3g radio
    - second camera front facing for video calls
    -scratch resistant glass cover
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 04/05/2010 at 12:41 PM.
    web os is a good start but i'm ditching my pre regardless of what they release because it's not what I want. There are too many things to list that wouldhave to change for me to stay and it would have to happen before something else catches my eye in a few months. Things like an utter avalanche of mainstream apps, drastically improved music player and others. All with EVO or better hardware. I don't really care about multitasking or physical keyboard or a lot of other things much anymore. It would take a drastic change to alter my opinion. I just don't see that in the cards. EVO is probably next unless iphone HD comes to sprint and matches the evo in hardward.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    to build on that....

- at least 8MP camera (again, you just can't go less than what the other phones have. You can always scale back on MP in software, you can't scale up)
    - quadruple the internal memory (memory is cheap nowadays)
    - dual or quad OMAP processor running at least 1Ghz - should be more tho
    - microSD slot
    - DLNA and mDNIe
    - super AMOLED Screen (and larger)
    - compass
    - larger battery (please!)
    - a wider keyboard on the pre that is not as sunken in. (The pixi keyboard rocks for this reason)
    - a virtual keyboard that works
    - 4g in addition to a 3g radio
    - second camera front facing for video calls
    -scratch resistant glass cover
    I agree with everything here. I would definitely want the HDMI out though. I know you need an adapter but that would be a great feature to have.