View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 21 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171121 ... LastLast
    I've also got a launch day pre and have no issues. It's a good phone, but if not for this community, and all the great patches, I would have left long ago. Like others, I plan to switch to the Evo unless Palm matches/betters the specs. IMO it's not about being loyal to a brand. It's about the brand listening and being loyal to it's consumers. I for one would gladly pay a premium for a well spec'd phone with a stable OS that does'nt require 30 homebrew patches to enable basic features.

I'm not saying that the Evo's OS will deliver that, but sine the Pre does'nt either, Hardware wins. If hardware is equal, WebOs wins, but only because of the homebrew community. Thank You Jason R!
    Last edited by lawdawgmon; 04/01/2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdawgmon View Post
    [The Pre is] a good phone but if not for this community and all the great patches I would have left long ago.
    This is exactly how I feel too!!!

Thanks to all the developers who put their time into making the WebOS more fun and usable!!
    ssometimes i wonder, with all the feedback and input from consumers and developers, Does palm take this into account? does anyone know about a Palm engineer surfing through this forum?

if it was up to me, i would have palm reps read through this forums and listen to the community and i am sure that a new device will perform far better if some of these patches and tweaks were taken into account from Palm. then and only then, the WebOs would be the OS for phones to beat.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    All Sprint Pre owners are eligible for upgrades after 12 months (Sprint Premier) and the EVO will probably be out around the same time that the first PRE owners will be eligible for upgrades. Are you going to stick with your beloved WebOS phone or is the feature rich EVO too tempting to pass on?

Feel free to explain your feelings in greater detail below
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetum View Post
    All Sprint Pre owners are eligible for upgrades after 12 months (Sprint Premier) and the EVO will probably be out around the same time that the first PRE owners will be eligible for upgrades. Are you going to stick with your beloved WebOS phone or is the feature rich EVO too tempting to pass on?

Feel free to explain your feelings in greater detail below
    I am sticking with my Pre.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Welcome aboard! There are many threads on this topic all over the forum already. It is customary to do a search before posting new threads.
    Thanks, but I'm not new I just rarely post. I know how to use the search feature, and I'm aware that people have discussed this already, I just wanted to see it in a poll as I am interested in the numbers. When I first searched I didn't see any polls just some discussions. I see now that there was one. My mistake...

It looks like a lot of people will be jumping the WebOS ship thanks to the unfortunate timing of this new device together with sprint's 12 mo. upgrade eligibility. I think WebOS has a ton of potential but that potential greatly relies on the sales and popularity of WebOS devices.

I hope and believe that a WebOS device with WiMax/4G and beefed up hardware will be available at some point. *fingers crossed* (if PALM does have such a device in the works they might be smart to accidentally "leak" some info on it before the EVO launch...)
    Last edited by cheetum; 04/01/2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    As much as i hate to (because I truly love the Pre) I am considering it. I'm a little ticked with the whole dataviz, flash and etc.. I switched over to the Pre and dragged my company with me because of webOS but the main reason was D2G. I knew it wasn't out at launch.. but that's where my love for webOS caused me to do the swap early and wait for D2G. I never expected to be here, close to a year later, and still not have that ability. I hate the BB so that wasn't even an option. I am holding on as long as I can but time keeps ticking by and I don't see any signs of it coming. I really wish it would because I don't want to switch but I might not have a choice if something doesn't give. In my case.. not having D2G or any alternative, is a big handicap for me.
    I'm not really religiously attached to my Pre. I like it, it's a good phone, and has served me well, but if something better and more awesome comes out I'm certainly going to switch to it.

I don't have a very big investment in apps, either, so Palm is going to have to impress me with new devices or the temptation to switch to something like an EVO is inevitable.

You probably won't see me walking around with an iPhone, though. I have some pride left.
    Jeez. Take it easy, forum Gestappo. Thanks for the links tho. You just trained us on how NOT to search...LOL
    ^^ I didn't say anything the forum rules and the rest of us aren't all thinking. A plethora of identical posts don't help anyone.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 04/01/2010 at 03:34 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I am interested in the EVO but have some concerns. First, I know very little of Android. What I know is, it is not easy to customize. By Customize, I mean patches are not really pick and choose like we have with Preware. You need to install a custom rom that has a collection of patches that you may or may not want all of. Also, you have to wait for hackers to release the roms after a new os release. Does not sound too good to me. I have a firm grasp on electronics, and just rooting the Android seems like a chore..

Next, I know know everyone says "I need a physical keyboard." I say this as well.. But is it not something that I will get used to? Maybe, maybe not, but the idea kinda worries me.

The hardware is where I have my most dilemma. The specs are almost too good to pass up.. Killer camera, good enough for hd, the cpu, the screen, even the damn kickstand haz me drooling. Is this enough for me to abandon webos, which I have come to love?
    The ease of use, the cards, the seamless multitasking, the easy tethering.. I KNOW THAT MANY PEOPLE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS IN THESE AREAS AND I AM NOT ONE OF THEM. I am talking from me personally.. I love all these things about webos, and the fact that the os is so easy to tweak.. That is why I am struggling with this decision..

Can some of you with previous Android experience chime in? What are the good and bad of Android? What did you love AND hate?
    Help me with my decision. I love research and if you can help me with some details, I will be more than happy to hit the thank button..

Thanks for reading, and for your replies..
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Those hardware specs running WebOS.... In a heart beat!!
    @Cashen, if those hardware specs were on a webos device, I would have no choice either. Webos all the way..
    I just see things like shazam, flash, documents to go, already on Android (depending on handset,) and am left wondering if they will ever come our way..
    WoW! This short promo vid is pretty damn cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKiBzBAHuEw&feature=youtube_gdata
    For me, it depends how much the EVO costs. If it's reasonable, I may try it out.
    I want a kickstand for my Pre ...

The HDMI out would be nice too, but it's still Android and HTC's sense UI ... WebOS so pwnes Android it's not even funny.

I'm still waiting for the new Palm device to be announced ... it gives me a chubby just thinkin about it!

~Bowen
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbowen1982 View Post
    I want a kickstand for my Pre ...

The HDMI out would be nice too, but it's still Android and HTC's sense UI ... WebOS so pwnes Android it's not even funny.
    In your opinion of course.
    I use my Touchstone as a sort of kickstand when watching videos.
    Depending on the price I may add a line and pickup a EVO around Christmas. There is no 4G in New Orleans in the public plans yet, so I'm in no real hurry. I would like to use the phone a bit and try android out. But whatever happens, I will still keep my Pre for a while.