View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 180 of 182 FirstFirst ... 80130170175176177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Just unroot the phone.
    Cool, Does this mean there is something similar to the WebOS Doctor? Can all such roms be easily/reliably undone? Can they be done on a device that does not respond except via the USB like the Pre/Pixi can? is this as easy as the WebOS doctor? How will Sprint feel about a returned phone that has not been unrooted?

(The answers to these questions may be "yes/OK/fine" in which case I apologize for asking - I just want to understand the risks so I can encorage/discourage my son who does not really know Linux if he should ask me about doing this on his new phone.)

thx
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Cool, Does this mean there is something similar to the WebOS Doctor? Can all such roms be easily/reliably undone? Can they be done on a device that does not respond except via the USB like the Pre/Pixi can? is this as easy as the WebOS doctor? How will Sprint feel about a returned phone that has not been unrooted?

(The answers to these questions may be "yes/OK/fine" in which case I apologize for asking - I just want to understand the risks so I can encorage/discourage my son who does not really know Linux if he should ask me about doing this on his new phone.)

thx
    --
    Bob
    I have a hero. But im sure its very similar on the evo. But I do a nandroid restore from vanilla android 2.2 back to sense android. Then I flash the rom found on sprints website to get rid of root and get rid of custom recovery. It also erases all data on your phone. Then you have your warranty back.

I don't think I left anything out. Im sure there are other ways but thats the way I do it.
    @koolkid09, Thanks for your answer. How is the flashing done (via the USB cable or some other way)?

Is there any additional risk of bricking your phone that is not present with the WebOS doctor?

thanks
    today my second Pre started the reboot dance. You know the one where if you close the slider firmly the frick'n phone reboots on its own?!!! I'm having a real hard time deciding whether to get it replaced under warranty...AGAIN!, or swap to the EVO and move on already
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    @koolkid09, Thanks for your answer. How is the flashing done (via the USB cable or some other way)?

Is there any additional risk of bricking your phone that is not present with the WebOS doctor?

thanks
    USB.

And im not sure. I always flash correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The thing that confuses me is you just listed a page full of features that you want to see in webOS...that already exist on your EVO. Why would you want to switch back to webOS when you already have all these features?
    Well simply because there really is something to the "zen of palm." What webs does do it does much more elegantly, smoothly and intuitively. If they had had resources to do things right (and better marketing, carrier relationship and foresight ), webos and palm phones could have been bigger and better than Android. I hope they can pull it off but am not optomistic.

Moreover the point of the thread was what moved you away and what would it take to get you back and I think my post spelled that out pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Swype is now baked into the ROM so thats free and included.
    oh i somewhere read "you can download the swype for android beta" so i just figured it was an app that had not come out yet. Not being a longtime android user i'm not totally familiar with what is and is not part of the android.
    Quote Originally Posted by smith2sc View Post
    would a new webOS phone on Sprint be enough to get you to make the switch back?
    i've used a few android phones and spent time over the holidays with an EVO. But i still reluctantly am stuck with my Sprint Pre. My answer would be a pretty firm no. When i get rid of my Pre i won't be back to WebOS

There are too many missing, features, apps, polish on the OS, and other things. I'm not gonna list them but i don't want to have to patch and deal with that. I love the EVOs but I'm probably getting an iphone cause i need a new ipod and i use my ipod more then my phone. But 1 week with an EVO sold me on Android. I mean voice search is awesome the amount of apps and google constantly innovating is very impressive. And i care much more about that then stuff like stacks and cards and a user interface. Those are just not the most important things for me.

Short of monumental changes to the APP situation and other software things, no matter what HP releases i want I'd won't consider making my next phone a webos phone. If a webos phone is what people want i hope they get it. Compromising again is just not for me.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 12/29/2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Bought a clean brand new evo for 300 on the street with a good esn, activated and I must stay this phone is nice, not as visually appealing as webos but much more features.

Phone is built solid and apps look decent, I'm not a gamer so I look forward to just sms, music on the train, email and browsing.

I must say webos is quite far behind ios and droid, it will be fun seeing them or wp7 fight for 3rd place. neither will catch droid or ios anytime soon.
    I will not be getting a Webos phone until they get more recognition. I like the fact that apps come to android as much as ios.

Sent From Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I am a June 6 Pre owner. I cheated my employer out of many work hours from the unveiling at CES 2009 until launch day poring over the latest information about my new obsession. Unfortunately, in less than a year I was ready to take a hammer to my Precious. It wasn't any one thing...just a bunch of little things that added up over time. So I made the switch to Evo on launch day.

I had spent a few hours playing around with a Hero, and messed around with a friend's Droid. I was not a big fan of either. I didn't particularly like the interface of either, and I was terribly afraid of switching to a soft keyboard. I had it in my head that there was no way I could survive without a "true keyboard".

I admit that I was very apprehensive about making the switch to Android, but I couldn't take the TMC errors any longer. After a full day with Evo, I knew it would be tough to go back to my Pre. After a full week with the Evo, I knew there was no way I could go back. It took me the week to fully trust the autocorrect on the stock keyboard. By the end of that first week, I was blowing away my Pre in wpm tests and with far less mistakes to boot. Best thing about the keyboard....the double space for period

About a month ago my wife's Curve 8330 started giving her fits (surprise, surprise). She wanted to know if I would get my Pre out of the drawer and set her up with it. I transferred her number, got her accounts synced, and set up Angry Birds for her. She tried it for a week and hated everything except the Angry Birds. Honestly, I did try to sell her on the benefits of webOS, but it wasn't meant to be. I did such a job of trying to sell her that I started to have a little bit of revisionist history going through my mind.

So after switching her back to her Curve, I did a hard reset of the Pre to wipe her data. I hadn't thought about the fact that I couldn't reload my old profile on the device without connecting to Sprint's network. After staring at it on my desk at work over the last few weeks I decided to make the switch...if only temporarily while I put my old profile back on it.

I have to admit that those first few minutes after startup and syncing gave me geek chills just like that day in June 2009. I remembered how much fun it was to use cards and swipe gestures. All of that started to go away within the first hour of use, though. I couldn't stand the lllllaaaagggg.... It's so much more apparent after using the Evo for awhile. I immediately realized that I was going to have to go home and install Preware and Uberkernel if I was going to use this for a long period of time. Then I wanted to edit some transactions on Mint, and remembered there was no webOS app. No big deal...I'll just fire up the browser and go to the website. It strained my eyes trying to get used to browsing on that small screen again. Finally, I went to check my email accounts and remembered how I hated having to swipe each and every message from the screen. It's so much easier to batch delete emails with check marks.

By the end of the night, I couldn't wait to switch back to my Evo. I realized that while swiping is fun, it's actually less efficient for me because of the way I have my launcher screens set up with my most used apps. Besides, I rarely use more than 8 apps at any one time. A long press on Home takes care of that. I realized I have no lag on my Evo, with the exception of slight lag when an app is installing. I realized the shear breadth of apps that I would definitely miss if I switched back to webOS. I realized the easiness of using the email app to quickly dispose/dispatch emails from my 4 different email accounts. And, of course, I realized that I no longer want to use a device with a screen smaller than 3.5 inches. If not for my seldom used Ipod Touch I'd say 3.7 inches. As a brief aside, I've come to realize that my Ipod Touch has collected a lot of dust in the past 7 months.

So, that's my story in a long-winded nutshell. A former Pre fanatic who became a traitor to Android and briefly rekindled my former love affair with webOS. At the end of the day it's going to take a lot more than new hardware to get me to come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by dint56 View Post
    I understand the Root and Patching are different, But to change ANY aspect of WebOS it just requires a patch... For Android there are some things that you have to ROOT the phone for. Changing ROMS is more of a pain.... This Article Explains what you can do with Rooting Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone And as you can tell some of the things you need to ROOT android for, you can do in WebOS with just a patch. That to me means a lot.
    That article list things you DON'T need to Root to get. (like keyboard and APPS2Sd). But i understand your point.
  13.    #3593  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    My thoughts on android so far

Interface (I am getting used to the home key, but i prefer cards. I dont feel that i have the same amount of control over andriod yet)
    Good news! All these problems you are having below are simple once you see the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks.

Android Multitasking does give you the last 8 apps via the home key but the real power is in the Folders just like we used to have with Palm. Google gave us back the Folders Palm took away. I have 160 apps I love and am never more than 3 taps away from any of them.

Universal Search (I got used to typing the name of apps to open them instead of searching through menus.)
    Just tap Search and start typing "ma" and links for Mail, Maps, Email, and Market come right up. Check out the section on Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions. Better still, long-press Search and just say what you want to do like:
    "email titan I can show you everything in less than an hour"

Apps1 (I havent played arround extensively with the apps, but the one i was excited about either suck or dont exist. Espn radio-sucks acording to reviews, Netlfix-doenst exist, Hulu Plus Doesnt exist)
    Here are 100+ amazing apps, most are free: Applications. I listen to ESPN radio using RadioTime but there are a lot of other radio apps. Netflix downloadable content is so limited that it does not matter at this point if there is an app or not. I hope that Hulu can make it but it is not clear.

Power button (I do not like hitting it to turn on the screen and then unlocking ,i know you can get rid of the unlock. I preferred just popping the slider and Just Typing...)
    Have you seen AppBrain yet? I just searched on lock screen and got 347 hits, The first one is this:

No Lock - It simply disables the lock screen.

The Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks will answer these questions and amany more. I did exactly the same set of guides for webOS when people were having trouble finding things here.

Reading may not be your favorite thing but an hour of reading can save months of frustration.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/31/2010 at 01:03 AM.
    Why was the radio shack sale thread closed? If it's in the Cross Platform chat? I don't have an Android yet so I don't think I should have to go to Android Central. At least close it if the sale is over Geez
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Why was the radio shack sale thread closed? If it's in the Cross Platform chat? I don't have an Android yet so I don't think I should have to go to Android Central. At least close it if the sale is over Geez
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    +2
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    seriously, what makes you think this topic needs another thread?
    retrospective - 9 months later we are asking the same questions!
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I will not be getting a Webos phone until they get more recognition.
    You may not be getting WebOS then.
    Ok, so after being totally disappointed with the lack of hardware from Palm and having a near useless Pre that was worn to death and many function not working at all I was forced to get an EVO.

I'm now kicking myself for not having done this months ago. This phone, the form factor, the quality, the OS, the apps, the battery life, the functionality all BLOW THE PALM AWAY in every respect. It's blazingly fast and google maps and other aps open INSTANTLY. (and I have overclocked my pre too!)....combine this with the google navigation in the phone built into the maps and the speak to find features it's just amazing. Not to mention the countless great apps on it. Forget it, it's not even close. It's not a fair fight at all. It would be like putting a donkey (pre) up against a thoroughbred. Laughable.

Let's not forget to mention the gmail application and google aps for Android is insanely simple, intuitive, and blazingly fast. No more lag , no more waiting and waiting for my messages to slowly open or load or delete while sucking my battery to the bone in one or 2 hours, it's now INSTANT and my battery is fresh as a cucumber! THANK YOU GOOGLE!

Android is a little harder to navigate around but who cares when it's that much better in every respect (and just getting better) and after a day playing with it the learning curve gets simple. Also, remember this phone is dense and packed with geek goodness. There's so much it can do that there's bound to be layers to this onion. I have no idea what people in this forum are saying about 'hating android'...please people it's far superior in every way!!

And trust me you'll get over the lack of being able to swipe those little cards fast. I didn't think I could part with the swiping gestures or the keyboard for that matter but the android ...especially the Evo will make you forget that fast. You'll wonder why you were ever dating the pre when you have a bombshell centerfold waiting by the fire for you in lingerie (evo). And SWYPE will make everyone who ever thought they needed a physical keyboard to abandon what I now see as completely unnecessary.

The EVO/Android OS is simply amazing and makes the pre overall user experience seem about as outdated as a member's only jacket or my old parachute pants.
    Last edited by rock9hard; 01/03/2011 at 06:08 PM.