View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 179 of 182 FirstFirst ... 79129169174175176177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 3633
    I have to disagree with the premise that using a "stock Pre" would turn an llama into an angry bird. I've often used my Pre without patches and it's very usable. It's only when I'm "device only" (without a laptop for bigger things, or cramped for space in a plane seat) that I begin miss the ease of Preware installs. Of course once Preware is on the phone, I then select a minimal set patches: landscape email (which I'm not sure I prefer anymore), battery as percent (which has different colors for good, bad, and ugly), browser multi-mod (mostly so I can choose to stream, which happens by default anyway so I don't really even need that one). Patches do a nice job of tailoring to each user's taste, but the real-only reason I like them is that Preware is just so damn good and cutting edge. Lack of Preware (on android) might turn a llama into an angry bird. Prodigal llama's are always welcome back here!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I am guessing its the 4g and Exchange blasting me. I get the same life as my pre. Full day with light usage and thats about it.
    Yeah, 4G will suck you dry! I only use it when needed. I don't need push email, facebook sync, weather sync and my one pop email polling to be done in the background over 4G. When I need to lookup something or download something and I'm in a 4G area (and I don't have wifi available), I turn 4G on and use it to do my task and shut it down.

I don't remember what Exchange did to my battery life for the month or so that I had it with my EVO. I've changed contracts since and don't have Exchange anymore so can't really comment on it.

If you don't mind spending a little change, I recommend Tasker (maybe paired with JuiceDefender). With Tasker, you can have certain radios automatically turn on when you use certain programs and then automatically turn off when you're done. I'm not using these but have tried them out and they work pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas92 View Post
    @taharka

'Just talk' has to major flaws for me :
    - it don't work well in french (and neither in english, but that's not google fault, it's more because of my terrible accent )
    I'm sure i works great in english (at least with english people)

- I don't like to talk to my phone! I mean, it's weird!

Reading email is pretty cool though.

But i disagree with your conclusion : just type is useful, just talk is fun, geeky, but not truly usable (too weird, not on the subway...)
    It works great for me with both English and Spanish. It's been very useful. Just the other day, my wife said a word to me in Spanish that I hadn't come across before. I spoke it to my phone and it told me the answer.

I think the new voice app is supposed to learn how you speak or something like that. It's been working well for me (but no, it's not perfect). The reading email, sms, taking calls stuff when I'm driving is VERY useful, safe and legal her in GA where you can't "tex and drive".
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    Ok, so I guess I'm just stuck with my fear of the unknown. Since I'm not suffering with my Pre like many others who have jumped ship, I can either wait to see what the next webOS device on Sprint is, or do the Pre Plus upgrade, which I'm actually dying to do just for the hell of it, but I've been too cheap to pull the trigger on one. But I'm glad to know that Android will be more of a learning curve than actually missing anything.
    Hey Irate! For me, it was mostly about seeing what the EVO can do. I figured since I have 30 days to try it out and the price was right, then why not.

The learning curve is taking awhile, but so far it's okay. If you're willing to risk it, use the 30 day option to get out. After 5 days with my EVO, I have to sadly admit that it's enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Don't forget about an Pre vs Evo Shift on here .
    I'm sure milominderbinder will make one and add it to all the other sticky's whenever the device is available.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Its as if people really keep comparing the benefits of Rooting to patching on WebOS as the same thing.

WebOS...you patch to add features to apps or the OS that you did not have originally (or to overclock).

Rooting...allows you to do more advance stuff from running a completely custom ROM. If i wanted to change the theme of my current OS you DO NOT have to root. You just download the app launcher pro. Same with other apps, if my email app was not robust enough i can easily go into the market and download one that is.

If i want a new keyboard...again, just go into the market and get a new keyboard.

There are some similarities like overclocking and wireless tethering, but a larger majority of the patches in WebOS are to improve stock features which are all but an app away in most cases in Android, or already in the stock features.
    I understand the Root and Patching are different, But to change ANY aspect of WebOS it just requires a patch... For Android there are some things that you have to ROOT the phone for. Changing ROMS is more of a pain.... This Article Explains what you can do with Rooting Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone And as you can tell some of the things you need to ROOT android for, you can do in WebOS with just a patch. That to me means a lot.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    No offense, but when I see statements like that, it tells me you are either very unfamiliar with Windows prior to Windows95 or you are unfamiliar with current Android (or both).
    I actually am very Familiar with Windows 286 all the Way through Windows 7. I even remeber the days of Advanced Server. Wow... we've come a long way! I ever remember updating the System.INI's and config.sys and for you old DOS Users... remember EMM386 memory Manager. When I state Windows 3.0, I am basically talking about how it feels to me. With Android I feel the GUI for it just feels like Windows 3.0 well ok maybe I will upgrade it to Windows for Workgroups 3.11

And as far as android just having rooted a few and working with it, It is definitely easier to Patch then having to ROOT for certain things Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone

Especially when even the Droid Incredible you have to Root it to Change the Search Engine from bing to Google. In WebOS it's just a patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by dint56 View Post
    I understand the Root and Patching are different, But to change ANY aspect of WebOS it just requires a patch... For Android there are some things that you have to ROOT the phone for. Changing ROMS is more of a pain.... This Article Explains what you can do with Rooting Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone And as you can tell some of the things you need to ROOT android for, you can do in WebOS with just a patch. That to me means a lot.
    When there's one-click-rooting available for almost all Android devices these days it's essentially the same thing as entering developer mode on webOS and doing what you need to do.

However, the large difference between Android and webOS is Android is a lot more configurable through official outlets (the market, for example) whereas with webOS patches are only available through third-party sources.

When's the last time you seen a patch available in the webOS app catalog? On Android, within the market, you can find everything from themes to whole new home screen replacements.

Really, the ONLY thing one needs to root for these days on Android is free tethering and/or install a new ROM (which only a VERY small percentage of Android users want or need).

By the way, that article you linked is severely outdated. You can do almost all of that now without the need to root.
    Last edited by barkerja; 12/29/2010 at 05:41 PM.
    This is the definition of denial.

Sent using taptalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    When there's one-click-rooting available for almost all Android devices these days it's essentially the same thing as entering developer mode on webOS and doing what you need to do.
    In the article also wrong where it says that rooting (flashing unauthorized firmware to your phone) will void the warranty? If not, then that's a BIG $500 DIFFERENCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Ifwebos gets good hardware, solid reviews from tech sites and more developer support, every evo owner and now android lover will be back and will buy a palm phone again.
    Hate to rain on your parade but you can count me out as one of those Evo owner returning back to WebOS...no matter what hp/Palm puts out I won't be getting it.
    I have had the EVO for a week now and can honestly say I like it a great deal. I would be happy to come back to Palm but they will need to have an OS/device combo that is doing the things my Evo can.

One thing liking a lot is all of the voice commands and voice to text stuff. Not voice dialing really but all the rest. Yesterday was in traffic searching for a testing center. Just hit voice search and said "pearson vue columbia missouri" and darn if it didnt pop right up. Dictated a facebook and tweet update to let people know a get together was cancelled and have dictated posts on Precentral all by voice.

Some other things im liking right now:

All the voice to text and text to speech

Real Document editing

Big screen (im finding it not too big at all for me, but can see how others might feel differently)

Swype is fun but not using it a whole lot as the keyboard is doing fine for me. The word prediction is pretty darn good.

Dolphin HD browser is amazing. So much better than what we have on the pre even the double-tap to zoom works better. lots of add-ons

All the google stuff works better and updated.

my weather and news widgets

Pulse

SD Card

Kindle and Nook (I have a kindle but use nook app with free ebooks from library)

Sirius XM!

Great Camera and videos

A REAL calandar that has items on it in month view (pure grid) and a one touch agenda.

Youmail working so much better. Love the Youview app on the pre but it is so much faster on the Evo opening app and getting my transcripts.

Folders, folders, folders!

All those Apps. Sure there is a lot of junk, but a lot of good ones too.

Battery life much better than expected. Better than I was getting on my pre. Do miss my touchstones, Palm really should have pushed those harder. I liked my pre cards, but how i have my home pages set up on the Evo is actually better than the launcher on the pre. Swithing between open apps much easier on the pre but, then again, it doesnt have all the apps i want to switch to!

Now could webOS and an updated phone done all of this, probably and maybe better, but HP/Palm is WAY behind on the upper end of the scale. (Heck the EVO isnt even new anymore, but for $99 was a great deal.)

I would rather be with a webOS phone that did all of the above but my guess is what we will see announced soon is the tablet, a pixi2ish thing and the new "hip" phone the casting call is suggestive of.. None of that sounds like an Evo killer to me. I still think, with a lot more apps webOS would be killer on a Tablet and im afraid that is what HP is thinking as well to the exclusion of a high-end smartphone. Lastly, even if they do come out with something nice, it will be first-gen (for webOs) with things like voice recognition and on screen keyboards and the like while Android is several steps beyond that. Which brings me to another point. A lot of the complaints about Android were based on peoples experiances with earlier versions that did have a lot of issues apparantly. Seems to me most of those have been taken care of. With the new webOS phone, it will be the early version issues all over again, just like we had with the Pre.

Hope they do hit a home run soon, nothing beats PreCentral and would rather be an active participant instead of a lurker, but it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I have had the EVO for a week now and can honestly say I like it a great deal. I would be happy to come back to Palm but they will need to have an OS/device combo that is doing the things my Evo can.

[...]

I would rather be with a webOS phone that did all of the above
    The thing that confuses me is you just listed a page full of features that you want to see in webOS...that already exist on your EVO. Why would you want to switch back to webOS when you already have all these features?
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    In the article also wrong where it says that rooting (flashing unauthorized firmware to your phone) will void the warranty? If not, then that's a BIG $500 DIFFERENCE!
    And using one of the kernel "patches" to increase the speed of your Pre/Pixi isn't?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I got the Evo during this $99 special time frame, but I am very impressed w/some things & not others. My battery life isn't much better than the Pre & I turn off 4G, GPS, etc when not in use. I have had the phone now since the 23rd & I have to work really hard w/the keyboard. I am getting better, but I am not that impressed. AND, you have to root the phone to take a screen shot--what is that about???

The hardware is top notch & it is exceptionally nice to have so many quality apps that can do things the Pre simply can't. I love the screen quality & was surprised (I am a small guy) how easy it was to hold this monster device in my hand. Though the camera is very slow--I often move the camera before it is done taking the shot & end up w/a blurred pic--it creates a magnificent picture when I am patient enough to do it correctly.

I still like webOS much better so far as an operating system & I love the Pre's notifications, but I will give the Evo the full 30 day test drive. I have downloaded about 10 new apps today--and maybe only 1 or 2 of them are available on the Pre. I will wait until the 30 day period is up to make my decision. Right now I carry & use both phones.

There is a screenshot app that works unrooted even tho it says you need to root. Check Android Central, I forget the name. ShootMe, I think.

Also, follow the power save advice from AC. I am getting killer battery life.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Screenshot it.great app.

Sent using taptalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Sadly i know about the long press of the search button

How do you pull up the keyboard quickly?
    If your in and app like the web brower for instance just press and hold the menu button and the keyboard pops up.
    I have two batteries, the stock, and mugan1800. The mugan is awesome, but last night about 11:30 it was running low, so I put stock in. When I got up this morning I left the stock in,I have been using my evo a lot as always and I just put mugan back in.I got 12 hours out of the stock battery, use phone All day, almost always doing something. In that same time I would have had to charge my pre at least two full times. Almost all day I do not need gps, so I leave it off unless I need it. Yesterday I got nearly 15 hours out of the mugan.

Sent using taptalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    And using one of the kernel "patches" to increase the speed of your Pre/Pixi isn't?
    I haven't installed kernel patches, so I don't know enough to answer your specific question (so I'll let someone else confirm or refute your specific comment). I DO know that Preware itself and doing "developer mode" things on the phone are designed uses and developer mode does not void the warranty.

--
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 12/29/2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Just unroot the phone.