View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 178 of 182 FirstFirst ... 78128168173174175176177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,560 of 3633
    Thanks for this informative thread. I am wavering, everytime I walk into Radio Shack the dude waves the damn Evo under my face. My concern is comparison in battery life, can you comment.
    For me the Evo sadly isnt where its at. If I was truly wavering i would just wait for the next device to drop on sprint. Evo is going on 6 months old and with honeycomb around the bend who knows if it will get the update.

Thanks for the search button tip!

Battery life...they both always seem to be dead
    Last edited by Titan078; 12/29/2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Thanks for this informative thread. I am wavering, everytime I walk into Radio Shack the dude waves the damn Evo under my face. My concern is comparison in battery life, can you comment.
    Sure. Battery life is often reflective on your apps. For instance, when i was trying out the Tango video app, my battery life was TERRIBLE because the app was programmed poorly for sitting in the background. How my Evo is setup now, generally i can get by 14 hours no problem. Compared to the Pre, generally, the worst it has been has been equal to an average Pre day. If you are coming from the Pre i can tell you you WON'T be disappointed in the battery life.

Its not the best Android phone based on battery life (the Moto phones are great phones in that department) but its very serviceable. It handles Google based push services marvelously. In general though, if i'll be out for a long time during the day i'll sometimes use an app called "Juice Defender" which you can setup anyway you want, but how it is for me is it keeps 3G data off when the screen is off and when the screen is on it turns the data back on automatically. It will also turn the 3G on every 15 minutes for a minute to you know, check for any emails or whatever and then turn back off. Great little app really.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ok, so I guess I'm just stuck with my fear of the unknown. Since I'm not suffering with my Pre like many others who have jumped ship, I can either wait to see what the next webOS device on Sprint is, or do the Pre Plus upgrade, which I'm actually dying to do just for the hell of it, but I've been too cheap to pull the trigger on one. But I'm glad to know that Android will be more of a learning curve than actually missing anything.
    Yeah thats pretty much irateb. Android is a great OS right now, but there is a slight learning curve esp. coming from WebOS. Do i think you have to run and get android RIGHT AWAY? Hell no...if you are happy or satisfied with your current phone, be happy. If you have frustrations with your phone or just like staying on the forefront of tech....android is awesome in that regard. So much can be done and messed with.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    There is the Dell one:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/dell-t...hourough-hands Should be coming out in a few months.
    Just as a side note, you picked the wrong Dell unit. The Smoke is actually the Android portrait slider, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction: Dell Smoke slaps Android in the wild form factor you secretly wanted -- Engadget
    Last edited by irateb; 12/29/2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added the word "portrait"
    So yesterday my pre randomly cut off (like always).. It gets stuck on the palm logo forever so I had to do a orange + sym + r to get it to reboot right. While it took 5 mins to reboot I guess my girlfriend was calling me on her lunch break, she say she called twice. First thing she ask me when she got off work was why I didn't answer the phone. I had to explain to her I didn't get any phone calls and that my phone cut off probably when she was calling.. Anyways once I get paid I'm dropping this phone for the Evo! I refuse to let my Palm Pre be the cause of another fight with my girl :-/*
    @Brain Mantis
    Universal search is not as good as android search... But Just Type is just waaaaaay better! You can search trought apps, any website that use opensearch (50% at least), and even create memo, sms, email, update facebook...

When it comes to text assist, it as been greatly improved in webOS 2 too.

Stability wise, I never crash my pre plus (1.4.5) or my pre 2 (2.0.1) EVER, althought i'm a dev. Android on the other hand has lag (the pre plus too) and stability issues from time to time. I don't understand how dboinit can even say that webOS is unstable... Maybe before 1.4.1? (i never used older versions)

Multitasking is better in the pre, and webOS 2 improve it a lot with stack (better than it looks).

Speed is good on my pre 2, the new hardware-accelerated launcher is very, i mean very fluid, even if i have 30+ apps oppened at the same time.

And synergy is a killer feature to me, especially with the account app on webOS2

Notification are IMO better on webOS (however very good on android) since you can delete individualy notification and interact with them.

With that said, webOS is not flawless, the maps and youtube app are here to prove it...

I also like the gmail app in android, and obviously the number of app available.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    ... I'm dropping this phone for the Evo! I refuse to let my Palm Pre be the cause of another fight with my girl :-/*
    Smart man!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  10.    #3550  
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    I have a EVO now and hate it. The phone is built well, but its Android I dont like...
    Have you used the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android to see where everything is in Android? It shows where to find your old features and the new ones as well. They are just in different places.
    "an Exchange bug seems to drain the battery very quickly in standby mode; this is Froyo-specific, though, not the fault of the Optimus S."

from PC Mag

This might explain why my battery life has been poor on my evo.
    Think I will start an Epic vs. Evo Shift thread over at AndroidCentral if there's not one already.....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas92 View Post
    Stability wise, I never crash my pre plus (1.4.5) or my pre 2 (2.0.1) EVER, althought i'm a dev. Android on the other hand has lag (the pre plus too) and stability issues from time to time. I don't understand how dboinit can even say that webOS is unstable... Maybe before 1.4.1? (i never used older versions)
    What you have to know about our dear friend dbd is that he did no kinds of modifications whatsoever to his Pre. His argument (and a valid one in my opinion) is that it should have worked and come with several features out of the box, which for a lot of people, it didn't. The Evo appears to be working out of the box much better for him, which I am glad for because nobody wants an angry llama in a forum
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Think I will start an Epic vs. Evo Shift thread over at AndroidCentral if there's not one already.....
    Don't forget about an Pre vs Evo Shift on here .
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas92 View Post
    Universal search is not as good as android search... But Just Type is just waaaaaay better! You can search trought apps, any website that use opensearch (50% at least), and even create memo, sms, email, update facebook...
    The opensearch thing is nice. Waaaaaay better? Not in my opinion. I can create memo, sms, emails, calls etc by tapping a single button and then "Just Talk". I can receive emails and sms without taking my phone out of my pocket because they are read to me (I only use that feature in the car). I can receive phone calls (and answer or send them to voice mail) by speaking to my phone (never having taken it out of my pocket). I can navigate to a location by touching a button and "Just Say" where I want to go.

JustType is cool. Being able to Just Talk is useful.
    i dont patch my pixi (yes i have all three devices ) and it is very stable too, even if i use it for testing purpose only. Maybe it's not the case for the sprint pre with 256mb and older version of webOS?
    And feature wise, webos is on par with iOS IMHO... And even the 'stock' android don't have much more features...
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    "an Exchange bug seems to drain the battery very quickly in standby mode; this is Froyo-specific, though, not the fault of the Optimus S."

from PC Mag

This might explain why my battery life has been poor on my evo.
    Unfortunately, bad/buggy apps will always be a problem for battery life in a multi-tasking mobile environment. Personally, I get exceptional battery life with my EVO. On my light days I can go beyond 24 hours on a single charge. It's to the point that I don't even bother worrying about my battery any more.

I've had some pretty light weekends (mostly standby with about 1.5 to 2 hours talking on the phone and all my background stuff running with some basic usage, no 3D games) where my battery has lasted from Friday morning before I leave for work to Sunday evening before I go to bed. Again, these were relatively light weekends but getting almost 3 full days on a single charge is good in my book.

Of course, when I do my long bike rides with full GPS tracking software (like Cardio Trainer) and music I only get around 5-6 hours (more if I use play local MP3s rather than use power hungry Pandora), but I have a 50-hour portable charger in my backpack for those occasions.
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Ifwebos gets good hardware, solid reviews from tech sites and more developer support, every evo owner and now android lover will be back and will buy a palm phone again.
    No...
    @taharka

'Just talk' has to major flaws for me :
    - it don't work well in french (and neither in english, but that's not google fault, it's more because of my terrible accent )
    I'm sure i works great in english (at least with english people)

- I don't like to talk to my phone! I mean, it's weird!

Reading email is pretty cool though.

But i disagree with your conclusion : just type is useful, just talk is fun, geeky, but not truly usable (too weird, not on the subway...)
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Unfortunately, bad/buggy apps will always be a problem for battery life in a multi-tasking mobile environment. Personally, I get exceptional battery life with my EVO. On my light days I can go beyond 24 hours on a single charge. It's to the point that I don't even bother worrying about my battery any more.

I've had some pretty light weekends (mostly standby with about 1.5 to 2 hours talking on the phone and all my background stuff running with some basic usage, no 3D games) where my battery has lasted from Friday morning before I leave for work to Sunday evening before I go to bed. Again, these were relatively light weekends but getting almost 3 full days on a single charge is good in my book.

Of course, when I do my long bike rides with full GPS tracking software (like Cardio Trainer) and music I only get around 5-6 hours (more if I use play local MP3s rather than use power hungry Pandora), but I have a 50-hour portable charger in my backpack for those occasions.
    I am guessing its the 4g and Exchange blasting me. I get the same life as my pre. Full day with light usage and thats about it.