View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 177 of 182 FirstFirst ... 77127167172173174175176177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 3633
  1. #3521  
    Quote Originally Posted by azumak View Post
    But I have to say, as far as critical tools on a phone, for me would be Phone, SMS, and GPS. I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty here, but look at it from this point of view- Flashiness, extra functions are great and all, but when I need my phone to work, it needs to work.
    Sounds like you might be in the market for a Motorola RAZR or similar. That device was a great phone, has SMS (and MMS) and a functioning GPS. Personally I choose smartphones over phones like the RAZR precisely because they can do so much more.

    As to your Android experience, I would say it perfectly mirrors that of a user who got in over his head with rooting, and custom ROMs. It happens plenty.
  2. #3522  
    we all have to think though about this, no new hardware from Webos in over a year(the pre, plus, and pre 2 are essentially the same phone hardware wise). When they introduce something, and IF its appealing of course people will flock right back to it in a minute. People if not only because they liked webos, will do it just because its something brand new on the market besides ANDROID. Thats why I still stand on what most anaylist say about the android oversaturation of the market. Once competitors even wp7 getting on sprint and verizon, come out next year people will have choices, and will want something different and IMO better then GOOGLES OS. I myself if not appealed by what HP comes out with next year will go to WP7, which to me is a very nice and elegant OS, and is with the likes of Webos years ahead of Android as a OS.
  3. #3523  
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Ifwebos gets good hardware, solid reviews from tech sites and more developer support,
    The problem is while those are a lot of "ifs", webOS also needs a solid ecosystem, better marketing, etc. Not an easy road ahead by any stretch of the imagination.

    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    every evo owner and now android lover will be back and will buy a palm phone again.
    I know of at least one that won't be back for a very long time. I see him in the mirror every day.

    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Android is just plain ugly, yes the hardware and the apps are better than webos but honestly people left due to lack of support in apps and bad hardware.
    To each their own I guess. I like the look and feel of Android. I like the look and feel of webOS as well. I left due to what you've stated, but also due to the fact that the OS itself has some major issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Look at webos then look at android, it's a big difference.
    Again, I like the looks of both.

    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    I'm tired of my pre but whatever phone I buy is temporary to say the least, the gui and card switching is more than enough to come back to once the hardware and apps get here.
    See, my Palm Pre was not supposed to be temporary. As it turns out, I've had 6 "temporary" Pres (12 total on my 4-line family plan). After I got tired of temporary devices, I switched to the EVO. In the long run, all phones are temporary since you won't have them for ever, but it would sure be nice to not have to replace the darn thing every couple of months. That's just unacceptable in my book. I have never owned a product of any kind in my almost 40 years on this planet that I've had to replace as often as the Palm Pre. Sure it's pretty. But it's also pretty bad.
  4. #3524  
    to be fair, every iteration of the pre to pre plus on vzw to the pre plus on att to the pre 2 has had better build quality than the previous.

    once you start dipping into refurbs, remember you are getting a refurbed device...meaning someone else had a problem and it was returned, palm/the carriers didn't fix it properly, and you inherited someone else's problems. This is a huge quality control problem.

    on the flip side, I bet there are more customers like myself who have NOT had problems with their original pres or pre pluses. Only people with problem phones complain, naturally.
  5. #3525  
    So looks like this beast going to be released in Jan for $150... If it got an FCC than I'm getting it.

    http://www.bgr.com/2010/12/29/htc-evo-shift-4g-appears-in-radioshack-catalog-priced-at-149/
  6. #3526  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    When they introduce something, and IF its appealing of course people will flock right back to it in a minute.
    I think you are underestimating what a bad reputation does to a brand. Some will return, yes. People flocking back is another thing. We'll see, I guess.


    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Thats why I still stand on what most anaylist say about the android oversaturation of the market. Once competitors even wp7 getting on sprint and verizon, come out next year people will have choices, and will want something different and IMO better then GOOGLES OS.
    But there was a point in time when webOS had all the buzz and excitement a company could dream of having. It was at one point, the only viable option on Sprint. The Pre was "new" at one point. It still didn't make waves. Stop blaming Android for webOS' failure.

    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Webos years ahead of Android as a OS.
    I keep reading statements like this but never see any areas listed showing webOS to be years ahead of anything. Having using webOS exclusively for a little over a year, I can assure you that it is not years ahead of any other mobile OS that I've used. Heck, it is even lacking some basics from it's own ancestor (PalmOS). Why do people keep repeating this line?
  7. #3527  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    to be fair, every iteration of the pre to pre plus on vzw to the pre plus on att to the pre 2 has had better build quality than the previous.

    once you start dipping into refurbs, remember you are getting a refurbed device...meaning someone else had a problem and it was returned, palm/the carriers didn't fix it properly, and you inherited someone else's problems. This is a huge quality control problem.

    on the flip side, I bet there are more customers like myself who have NOT had problems with their original pres or pre pluses. Only people with problem phones complain, naturally.
    True. But in my case, I checked the service date (or whatever it was) on each replacement. At one point, I got a brand spanking new pre and thought my problems were over. I switched to the EVO about 3 Pres after that.
  8. #3528  
    Have you played with an Evo after they unlocked the 30 FPS cap?

    Evo/Nexus 1/Incredible running 2.2 at 60 fps is just as smooth in UI navigation as the Epic. Epic still has the leg up on 3D games of course.

    But i don't think the internals are showing any sort of age in my opinion.
  9. #3529  
    I have a EVO now and hate it. The phone is built well, but its Android I dont like. I would switch back in a second and pay full price for a new phone. As long as its built solid. I loved Web OS, but the Palm phone are just bad. I may even try Windows 7, if HP does not release somthing new to sprint before Win 7 arrives.
  10. dint56's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #3530  
    Well I have to jump in here my post is a bit long and a little ranty but I have to say, I've worked with Android, IOS and Webos.

    First and foremost... I looked at Android(EVO) and it is getting more tempting now that the price is starting to get lower and lower... why? Well because of some of the apps. The Interface to me is just clunky. I feel like I am using Windows 3.0 when using it.

    So now for IOS. I've worked with IPads, Iphones and Also have an Ipod Touch for Christmas and I have to say... that thing is great for apps. And whenever I need data on the road, well my Pre becomes my Hotspot . But Once again the interface is just so uhm... Archaic in my opinion, it works and is simple and I feel like I am using Windows 2000. It's not as Clunky as Windows 3.0 but it's not Windows XP Interface. I used the Windows NT 4.0 as the Interface and OS because it actually is pretty solid OS. After inital setup issues with ITUNES(Requiring accounts and Itunes to Activate is just plain stupid!) everything works well. I also have used the IPAD and to me... no matter what you say... it is just a Big Iphone without a phone system.

    Now to Webos. First and foremost what I like about webos... Is the ability to switch applications without having to go through the entire menu system again. I've only had TWO Refurbs but that's because I messed mine up LOL. Don't ask... ;-) I do notice lags, which really I know new hardware will fix, so I wait patiently, I am not one of those that wants a new phone every month. Now the best part of the Webos system (Which I am not sure if Android does)is the OVER THE AIR Recovery. Once I changed the phone within and 2 or three hours My system was back up and running with all my software. Patches were really not a big deal to me, but I do use some once in a while. The Multitasking feels very rich and the ability to just switch things on the fly is one of the best systems i've ever seen... To me it reminds me of the Windows 7 option where you do (WIndows Key+Tab) where it switches the screen with Live windows. Awesome option. As far as OS stability, I honestly have not had many issues, not as much as some of the Android phones that I have seen. But you know all OS will have their issues, to me it's the Experience ... and the WebOS experience is much nicer.

    IF I were to switch to an EVO I would come back to Palm In a Heartbeat because

    1. The Webos Experiences is much easier to use.
    2. Way to Access Applications and their settings are much better then the other OS's
    3. If I want to Patch the system, I do not have to Root or Jailbreak
    4. And of course... Multitasking cannot be beat!

    Do not get me wrong, i want more apps, even those cheesy Soundboards that are being counted as a "APPS", Just because I want choice that is all. I do feel HP will bring life to the Apps and as long as They keep getting better... Which so far I see improvements, I will always come back to WebOS.

    Sorry for the long winded Post but I just had to get that off my chest ;-)
  11. #3531  
    Quote Originally Posted by dint56 View Post
    IF I were to switch to an EVO I would come back to Palm In a Heartbeat because

    1. The Webos Experiences is much easier to use.
    2. Way to Access Applications and their settings are much better then the other OS's
    3. If I want to Patch the system, I do not have to Root or Jailbreak
    4. And of course... Multitasking cannot be beat!

    )
    Its as if people really keep comparing the benefits of Rooting to patching on WebOS as the same thing.

    WebOS...you patch to add features to apps or the OS that you did not have originally (or to overclock).

    Rooting...allows you to do more advance stuff from running a completely custom ROM. If i wanted to change the theme of my current OS you DO NOT have to root. You just download the app launcher pro. Same with other apps, if my email app was not robust enough i can easily go into the market and download one that is.

    If i want a new keyboard...again, just go into the market and get a new keyboard.

    There are some similarities like overclocking and wireless tethering, but a larger majority of the patches in WebOS are to improve stock features which are all but an app away in most cases in Android, or already in the stock features.
  12. #3532  
    Quote Originally Posted by dint56 View Post
    I looked at Android...I feel like I am using Windows 3.0 when using it.
    No offense, but when I see statements like that, it tells me you are either very unfamiliar with Windows prior to Windows95 or you are unfamiliar with current Android (or both).
  13. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #3533  
    I have a couple fears in switching from webOS to Android (besides my obvious Palm-fan-boy-ism), and maybe some of you quitters (lol) can tell me how you dealt with them or if they were even a factor. Oh and yes, I have to stay on Sprint because I am poor lmao:

    1. No keyboard: I am deathly afraid of no keyboard since I've been using a Palm device forever it seems. I know the Epic has a keyboard, but that leads me to...

    2. Size: I like my phone to be a phone, so the larger size bugs me a bit. I also like that I can use my Pre one-handed, as I've been able to do all my Palm phones. I have no problem with thickness since like I said, I've used Palms for ages, but all the Android phones just look hella big.

    3. Multitasking: I know that from what I've heard, you can open apps with Android and go back to an app you had open before and be at the same spot, but will it continue processing? Like for instance, I'll be on a web page, see a link I want to share, go to messaging, send the message, and before the text is sent, I'm already back doing something else and I know it is gone or I'll get the notification that it errored out for whatever reason. Web pages, do they load in the background? I assume I can open multiple web pages? Basically do you have to sit there and let stuff finish before moving on?

    4. Facebook Chat: I hate this one, because FB Chat is the worst IM program ever, but it is the one my contacts now use the most. I think I read that it is coming to Android. Is it here yet? And is/will it be built in or a separate app?

    I guess while I'm anxious for what webOS has coming (especially a new device on Sprint), I haven't really had a bad user experience like many others have. I signed up for a first gen device, and feel like I've had a better than average experience. Hardware has been my only real issue. I'm a programmer by education, so being able to mess with the internals to make it do things not originally done by the OS is a plus for me. In my experience, webOS did the main things (phone, email, messaging and web) very well, just VERY slowly, which has been aided by overclocking. I also live in a major metropolitan area (Atlanta, and not the 50 miles away "metro", I live 10 minutes from the city limits), so signal issues haven't been an issue for me in a very long time.

    So, what say you, converts?
    Last edited by irateb; 12/29/2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: I can't spell
  14. #3534  
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    I have a couple fears in switching from webOS to Android (besides my obvious Palm-fan-boy-ism), and maybe some of you quitters (lol) can tell me how you dealt with them or if they were even a factor. Oh and yes, I have to stay on Sprint because I am poor lmao:

    1. No keyboard: I am deathly afraid of no keyboard since I've been using a Palm device forever it seems. I know the Epic has a keyboard, but that leads me to...

    2. Size: I like my phone to be a phone, so the larger size bugs me a bit. I also like that I can use my Pre one-handed, as I've been able to do all my Palm phones. I have no problem with thickness since like I said, I've used Palms for ages, but all the Android phones just look hella big.

    3. Multitasking: I know that from what I've heard, you can open apps with Android and go back to an app you had open before and be at the same spot, but will it continue processing? Like for instance, I'll be on a web page, see a link I want to share, go to messaging, send the message, and before the text is sent, I'm already back doing something else and I know it is gone or I'll get the notification that it errored out for whatever reason. Web pages, do they load in the background? I assume I can open multiple web pages? Basically do you have to sit there and let stuff finish before moving on?

    4. Facebook Chat: I hate this one, because FB Chat is the worst IM program ever, but it is the one my contacts now use the most. I think I read that it is coming to Android. Is it here yet? And is/will it be built in or a separate app?

    I guess while I'm anxious for what webOS has coming (especially a new device on Sprint), I haven't really had a bad user experience like many others have. I signed up for a first gen device, and feel like I've had a better than average experience. Hardware has been my only real issue. I'm a programmer by education, so being able to mess with the internals to make it do things not originally done by the OS is a plus for me. In my experience, webOS did the main things (phone, email, messaging and web) very well, just VERY slowly, which has been aided by overclocking. I also live in a major metropolitan area (Atlanta, and not the 50 miles away "metro", I live 10 minutes from the city limits), so signal issues haven't been an issue for me in a very long time.

    So, what say you, converts?
    1. Listen, i know EVERYONE says this once they don't have a keyboard, but i can now type faster on a virtual keyboard than a physical one. But like you said, there are android devices with keyboards so this shouldn't bother you.

    2. If i can use my Evo one handed, one can most certainly use an Epic one handed or the upcoming Evo Shift one handed (same screen size as the iPhone but with a slide out keyboard). The LG phone on sprint as well is a great size if you prefer a smaller device.

    3. Yes things work in the background. The Browser is basically always active and can open multiple tabs. In fact, when you open the browser directly the page you are on will be a different tab than when you open the browser through an app, say like twitter. It basically creates separate tabs depending on what app opened the browser. And once you hit send on a text, it will send.

    4. Facebook chat is now built into the Facebook app for android.
  15. #3535  
    A little more on keyboards:

    I was also a virtual keyboard phobic. I can honestly tell you that I no longer like physical keyboards on mobile phones. I just tried the new Gingerbread keyboard and literally just typed without worrying about errors and there were none in most cases and very few in a tiny number of cases. I am much more accurate with virtual keyboards.

    I love Swype and will probably jump between these two. One of the things I love about Swype is that I can quickly change languages (I use Spanish and English all the time) and why I swype spanish messages it not only auto-corrects spelling, it fills in the correct accents as well. It is just as near flawless in terms of correction.

    Then there is voice input. One of the things that killed me on the Pre was the difference between "I'll" and "ill". It would only correct to one of them (not sure if that has changed). One of my favorite experiments with voice input is to SAY "I'll be ill if I walk down the aisle." I'll, ill and aisle sound similar when spoken, yet the voice command understands how to correct the spelling based on context. It really is great. Not perfect, mind you, but great!

    On the multi-tasking:

    Yes, it is "true multi-tasking". A good test is to bring up the bandwidth speed test and begin the test. Then switch over to compose a text message and send it. When you come back to the speed test it will be finished or close to finishing depending on how fast you were with texting.
  16. #3536  
    My thoughts on android so far

    Interface (I am getting used to the home key, but i prefer cards. I dont feel that i have the same amount of control over andriod yet)

    Universal Search (I got used to typing the name of apps to open them instead of searching through menus.)

    Form Factor (The pre gets dissed for being to small, but I cant effectively use the Evo with one hand the way i can the pre. E.g. I hit the search button with the base of my thumb when trying to hit the home button.)

    Apps1 (I havent played arround extensively with the apps, but the one i was excited about either suck or dont exist. Espn radio-sucks acording to reviews, Netlfix-doenst exist, Hulu Plus Doesnt exist)

    Apps2 (I would rather pay 2.99 than have ads running in my games)

    Flash not what I had hoped, but what i expected (from what i have streamed it has been clunky words not matching up to mouths)

    Maps live wallpaper (it broke and it makes me sad.)

    Power button (I do not like hitting it to turn on the screen and then unlocking ,i know you can get rid of the unlock. I preferred just popping the slider and Just Typing...)

    Touchstone (I have one set up in my car, at my desk, and at my house. I miss it)
    Last edited by Titan078; 12/29/2010 at 01:03 PM.
  17. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #3537  
    I went and looked at the LG Optimus S. It appears a little too "affordable" for me. So I'm back to the bigger units, which I guess I would get used to. I assume there are no portrait slider Android phones?

    Voice input seems really cool, and in theory would negate my need for having a one-handed physical keyboard. Do all Android phones come with this?
  18. #3538  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    My thoughts on android so far

    Interface (I am getting used to the home key, but i prefer cards. I dont feel that i have the same amount of control over andriod yet)

    Universal Search (I got used to typing the name of apps to open them instead of searching through menus.)

    Form Factor (The pre gets dissed for being to small, but I cant effectively use the Evo with one hand the way i can the pre. E.g. I hit the search button with the base of my thumb when trying to hit the home button.)

    Apps1 (I havent played arround extensively with the apps, but the one i was excited about either suck or dont exist. Espn radio-sucks acording to reviews, Netlfix-doenst exist, Hulu Plus Doesnt exist)

    Apps2 (I would rather pay 2.99 than have ads running in my games)

    Flash not what I had hoped, but what i expected (from what i have streamed it has been clunky words not matching up to mouths)

    Maps live wallpaper (it broke and it makes me sad.)

    Power button (I do not like hitting it to turn on the screen and then unlocking ,i know you can get rid of the unlock. I preferred just popping the slider.
    Just to touch on one of the the things here. Universal search exist and is better. You can choose exactly what universal search looks for:





    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    I went and looked at the LG Optimus S. It appears a little too "affordable" for me. So I'm back to the bigger units, which I guess I would get used to. I assume there are no portrait slider Android phones?

    Voice input seems really cool, and in theory would negate my need for having a one-handed physical keyboard. Do all Android phones come with this?
    There is the Dell one:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/dell-t...hourough-hands Should be coming out in a few months.

    Voice input is in all android phones. Long press the search button to do a voice search or the stock keyboard has a Mic button that alllows you to use voice to input text.
  19. #3539  
    Sadly i know about the long press of the search button

    How do you pull up the keyboard quickly?
  20. #3540  
    Just tap the search button. (yes not as fast as just sliding open the keyboard from screen off, but what can you do?)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions