View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 176 of 182 FirstFirst ... 76126166171172173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 3633
    Can the 800 mHz Evo Shift processor be overclocked to 1 gHz?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I will say that I am not completely done with WebOS since I see a lot of possibilities in the future, but I am going the Evo route like many others in the thread. At this moment I am going to enjoy my first experience into Android and take it for what it's worth. I am sure that I will go through some PostPrePartum, missing certain this(not that many besides multi-tasking with ease) but I will embrace the Evo as my new phone and see where I am at in a few months. Couldn't pass up the great opportunity to use the Evo at such a great price so I am not going to look back that much, but will probably pop in every now and again to see how the wonderful world of WebOS is doing.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I believe it has already.
    Damn it, I just want my Evo!! FedEx says it is running on time to be delivered tomorrow.

I don't care how much I have to learn, I want the smoothness, the larger screen and better hardware.

Of course, thanks to Craig (milominderbinder) I am already learning a ton, thanks to his links to his posts on A/C. I prefer to learn in advance, so I have some idea of what I am doing, when the phone is actually in my hands and activated.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by azumak View Post
    -Any ROM I've used on the EVO, and of the 4 apps I've tried for SMS, there is simply no way for me to type a text longer than 160 chars and send it. If I say, reply to a text, it's 200 chars long, and I send it, I get an error from Sprint, 5-10 mins later and I have to re-write or copy-paste it segmented out manually. It should segment SMS out to the char limit automatically, like any phone I have listed in my sig did, or at least fall back to an MMS. Nope, no way, no how in stock FroYo, rooted, Cyanogenmod or other builds, and with 4 different texting apps. I've lost over 30 texts in the past 2 months from this. It's infuriating.

I have to get going, but I'll be back soon. Can't wait!
    I just did this with the stock Messaging app and it worked just fine. Sent a bung of random words passing the 160 mark twice (368 characters) in the same message and it sent my message to her broken into 3 texts. Again, this is the stock app, non-rooted (on Sprint). There might be something wrong with your device or your service.
    You're going to have a good time with it I think. I haven't rooted yet, mostly because I don't need to at this point. But part of it is so that I'll have a whole new world to explore even after I've been using Android for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I'll add my (slightly) above average girth to verwon's voice and we can call it a wrap.
    Perfect!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I want the smoothness.
    I havent rooted, but I think the EVO is just as choppy as an over clocked pre. Alot impresses me with the EVO, but smoothness was not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i switched to the evo, and it took me about 5 minutes to realize how far behind webos is. and lets not even talk about the hardware... the pre looks like a cheaply built toy compared to the evo. and because of the lack of app support, no matter what palm does, i will not be returning!
    That's kinda how I've been feeling lately... Even with new amazing hardware, we're still behind.
    I would have to say no. Even if hardware was the same,I have many apis i could not live with out now. Apps I can't believe I did not know exsisted. Big name brand apps from pay pal, to geico, fios remote control and zynger poker and dozens more I now use or need on a daily basis. Name brand ,not someone who made a app for paypal or yahoo fantasy football
    But the actual first hand apps.
    Sent using taptalk.
    I have the opposite experience from you. Only time my Evo is choppy is if apps are installing in the background. Otherwise its very smooth.

To me it ranks like this:

1. iPhone
    2. Windows Phone 7
    3. Android
    4. WebOS

5. Blackberry
  12.    #3512  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    ...My battery life isn't much better than the Pre...

...I have to work really hard w/the keyboard...

...you have to root the phone to take a screen shot...

...Though the camera is very slow...

...I love the Pre's notifications...
    As to battery life, see the Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone. You should do much better. JuiceDefender is the key.

As to Keyboards, Swype set the World texting speed record. No physical phone keyboard can match it. SwiftKey is even faster for me because it learns how you think and predicts your words. What is faster than typing? Not typing.

As to screenshot apps, I prefer ShootMe but there are dozens to choose from. It does not require rooting on the EVO either.

As to Cameras, there are over 1400 apps to choose from. Some are incredibly fast.

As to Notifications, the Pre takes the bottom out of your screen until you act on a Notification. Android Notifications take up no screen space. Give it a couple more days.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/28/2010 at 11:50 PM.
    Not the case here.I can't believe how smooth it is.infact,when I turned my over clocked pre on the other day I could not stand to fiddel with it for long.so choppy and slow in comparison.even overclocked 1g.my 6 year old does not care,LOL,she just wants to play the games I have in it.

Sent using taptalk.
  14.    #3514  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    ...Of course, thanks to Craig (milominderbinder) I am already learning a ton, thanks to his links to his posts on A/C. I prefer to learn in advance, so I have some idea of what I am doing, when the phone is actually in my hands and activated.
    V-

Thanks! I did the same thing with the Pre guides. The Pre was different so things were in different places. And so it goes...

Swype comes free on the EVO and is the Keyboard that sets all the texting speed records. But SwiftKey is even faster for me. It makes me wonder why HTC is doing a physical keyboard. I guess we will see soon enough.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I have the opposite experience from you. Only time my Evo is choppy is if apps are installing in the background. Otherwise its very smooth.

To me it ranks like this:

1. iPhone
    2. Windows Phone 7
    3. Android
    4. WebOS

5. Blackberry
    Switch #2 to #1. WP7 is teh sex...Sprint needs to hurry their butts up
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    A lot of great points brought up in here, and I'm all for voicing your opinion on whatever that may be for your platforms/devices of choice, or choices as it is. I don't really want to get too detailed in this thread here as it's not my own, as I intend on doing a very nerdy, long, annoying, exhaustive review on my time with Android and WebOS, blah blah blah.

But I have to say, as far as critical tools on a phone, for me would be Phone, SMS, and GPS. I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty here, but look at it from this point of view- Flashiness, extra functions are great and all, but when I need my phone to work, it needs to work.

I'm not saying WebOS or Android is better at either, but in MY OWN EXPERIENCE, Android has let me down a few more times than WebOS in my short time with it. There's literally hundreds of factors for both platforms when I say this, and many of my Android problems could (and sometimes definitely are) be related to using custom ROMs, rooting, etc. I've had over 20 full on 3-minute system reboots on my EVO, quite a few during calls, or using GPS in a critical situation, in two months. Neither platform is perfect, is all I'm saying. Just last night, my EVO rebooted while doing nothing but running GMaps, just a few minutes after my girlfriend's Pixi froze and I had to Power+Ringer switch x3 it. Neither is perfect. IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE, once again, WebOS has been more stable overall, FOR ME. :]

One other thing to consider, I'm a hardcore tinkerer. Yeah, I said it. I took full advantage of Preware, WOSQI and homebrew from day 1 unboxing, and tested many patches, kernels, themes, emulators, any and everything. I started rooting and customizing my EVO day 1, no holds barred in the same way. I've ruined things a lot worse (and always recovered by being smart about it) and more easily on Android, comparatively. I'll get into this in much more detail some other time, but things aren't always pretty on Android. This is a major reason why I want to get another WebOS device for my main phone, and use my EVO as a multimedia device, something I can hack to pieces and not worry about crashing during an important call. I'm very aware that my hijinks lead to a loss of stability.

Whew, sorry for ranting here! Oh, and dbd and Verwon, I meant no negativity from my wrath comment, I was just playin around. :] Seriously, I was gushing that you guys quoted me. Just like when Mr. Whitby quoted me, I was giddy. I'm just weird like that, sorry guys!
    Phone history - Sidekick II (T-mo), Blackberry Pearl 8120 (T-mo), Garbage Go-Phone (ATT), Kyocera Wildcard (Virgin), Palm Pre (Sprint), HTC EVO (Sprint), traded de-activated Sprint Pre for VZW Pre Plus!

Currently Rockin - HTC EVO with data and de-activated VZW Pre Plus. Killer Combo~!
  17.    #3517  
    ...The native GMail app is pretty horrible..
    Have you tried K-9 for the Multi-folder/multi-account synchronization? It also gives different notifications for different accounts.

As to using multiple email accounts in Gmail, you can choose which account you want to send from. Gmail lets you set the Priority and labels as well. You can also respond to messages in-line, like texting. See this.

...and many of my Android problems could (and sometimes definitely are) be related to using custom ROMs, rooting, etc. I've had over 20 full on 3-minute system reboots on my EVO...One other thing to consider, I'm a hardcore tinkerer...
    You are the only person I have ever heard of other than developers who has had 20 reboots in 2 months. And your reboots are 3 minutes, not the 1 minute reboots the rest have.

I also tinker with my phone a bit but at the end of the day it has to be my phone, messaging, email, etc. Have you considered having a second phone just as a toy?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/29/2010 at 10:43 AM.
    I got the Epic over the Evo because of the keyboard and the Epic was just faster and smoother than the Evo, especially scrolling. The internals in the Evo are starting to show their age.

The new 4" Evo coming out looks nice though. It's basically a CDMA G2. It has the upgraded snapdragon and GPU.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Ifwebos gets good hardware, solid reviews from tech sites and more developer support, every evo owner and now android lover will be back and will buy a palm phone again. Android is just plain ugly, yes the hardware and the apps are better than webos but honestly people left due to lack of support in apps and bad hardware. Look at webos then look at android, it's a big difference.

I'm tired of my pre but whatever phone I buy is temporary to say the least, the gui and card switching is more than enough to come back to once the hardware and apps get here.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Mine must be the broked then because just scrolling through the apps makes me feel like i am going to have a seizure. It is responsive and not laggy, but i wouldnt call it smooth.