View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 175 of 182 FirstFirst ... 75125165170171172173174175176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by smith2sc View Post
    Theres probably a good chance I know your answer already if you're still in the precentral forums reading this, but if you picked up the Evo after your first year with the Pre, would a new webOS phone on Sprint be enough to get you to make the switch back? I got the Evo thinking it would be temporary and with that plan in mind, but I'm wavering at this point.

I think the biggest thing is the functionality of some of the core programs such as google maps/navigation and email (still no threaded emails in Gmail is a big one for me, since I have a work and personal Gmail account). As well as a lack of apps that can use the camera and microphone due to Palm not releasing those API's until fairly recently.

I know patches help to fill some of the holes in webOS, and there will be all the debate about multi-tasking and hardware as well, but do we know if/when some of these other things will start showing up in new webOS builds?
    Honestly...Palm will have to do a lot to get me back. Apps aren't even the MAIN thing, but the fact the OS just doesn't feel optimized. Everyone goes on about android being clunky, but do you know what i find clunky? When your phone needs 2 seconds just fo realized you swiped in a direction. Or when your phone takes 5 minutes to reboot itself or when you literally have to patch your phone to keep it even in the same breath of a modern OS.

Its just behind the times and HP/Palm have A LOT of catching up to do. Windows Phone 7 interests me more than WebOS now but HP/Palm just needs a good showing of the future to get me back on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by ev99wutang View Post
    I've had the Evo for 3 days now and it's starting to grow on me. I will come back to webOS in the future if good hardware and more APIs are released.

I have to agree with one of the posters above about the native Gmail app on the Evo, its not good.
    Whoooaaa? What? Whats not good about it? My only beef is that you can't pinch zoom HTML emails.

But other than that its hands down the best mobile email app for gmail. Without a doubt in my mind.

I'll add though if the guy above doesn't like threaded messages:
    1. Why are you using Gmail?
    2. Use the stock mail app or download K-9 Mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    "Not as stable"??!?!?
    As the Pre??

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
    You're a llama right? You excrete your bodily waste on the Pre these days. I can imagine the Pre being any more "stable" than that!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Thank you, my sweet sweet Buttercup.
    Very welcome!

It isn't realistic for anyone to try to claim the Pre is stable.

I believe that no phone should ever have to be replaced more than once. Once is understandable, because some lemons always exist in any technology, however, when some have had 8 or 9 of them, that is just unacceptable.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Ooooh, got the wrath of dbd and Verwon on me! I feel popular! (I really am geeking out here, lol xP)

My Pre was very stable and reliable when it came to communications. The phone never crashed on me, texting, email, all great for me. I'm going to address my issues in a much more detailed thread later on, but here's one thing off the top of my head-

-Any ROM I've used on the EVO, and of the 4 apps I've tried for SMS, there is simply no way for me to type a text longer than 160 chars and send it. If I say, reply to a text, it's 200 chars long, and I send it, I get an error from Sprint, 5-10 mins later and I have to re-write or copy-paste it segmented out manually. It should segment SMS out to the char limit automatically, like any phone I have listed in my sig did, or at least fall back to an MMS. Nope, no way, no how in stock FroYo, rooted, Cyanogenmod or other builds, and with 4 different texting apps. I've lost over 30 texts in the past 2 months from this. It's infuriating.

I have to get going, but I'll be back soon. Can't wait!
    Phone history - Sidekick II (T-mo), Blackberry Pearl 8120 (T-mo), Garbage Go-Phone (ATT), Kyocera Wildcard (Virgin), Palm Pre (Sprint), HTC EVO (Sprint), traded de-activated Sprint Pre for VZW Pre Plus!

Currently Rockin - HTC EVO with data and de-activated VZW Pre Plus. Killer Combo~!
    Handcent handles this just fine:

If you notice on the left side, the character count will display a "2" when you go past your first 160. It then sends both fine (and displays as one on your screen).
    The 2nd generation snap dragon processor in the g2, evo shift, is faster even underclocked to 800mhz than the older 1ghz processor in the evo, not to mention the better battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Whoooaaa? What? Whats not good about it? My only beef is that you can't pinch zoom HTML emails.

But other than that its hands down the best mobile email app for gmail. Without a doubt in my mind.

I'll add though if the guy above doesn't like threaded messages:
    1. Why are you using Gmail?
    2. Use the stock mail app or download K-9 Mail.
    My issue is the pinch to zoom on html emails. Most of the emails I get are html. Other than that I like the mail client.
    Quote Originally Posted by azumak View Post
    Ooooh, got the wrath of dbd and Verwon on me! I feel popular! (I really am geeking out here, lol xP)

My Pre was very stable and reliable when it came to communications. The phone never crashed on me, texting, email, all great for me. I'm going to address my issues in a much more detailed thread later on, but here's one thing off the top of my head-

-Any ROM I've used on the EVO, and of the 4 apps I've tried for SMS, there is simply no way for me to type a text longer than 160 chars and send it. If I say, reply to a text, it's 200 chars long, and I send it, I get an error from Sprint, 5-10 mins later and I have to re-write or copy-paste it segmented out manually. It should segment SMS out to the char limit automatically, like any phone I have listed in my sig did, or at least fall back to an MMS. Nope, no way, no how in stock FroYo, rooted, Cyanogenmod or other builds, and with 4 different texting apps. I've lost over 30 texts in the past 2 months from this. It's infuriating.

I have to get going, but I'll be back soon. Can't wait!
    And rooting the phone could have screwed that up, because there are many, many people that don't have that problem, especially with other apps, like Handcent, that someone else mentioned.

I've already been reading up on them, so I know what to install when mine arrives.

And as to wrath? I don't see either me or dbd being that way, just honest and realistic.
    I think the most interesting thing I've seen on this forum in the past year is how the switchers dispel the misconception of webOS being a better operating system than Android and all it really needs to be successful is better hardware to run on. Everyone who's made the move just seems so happy.

I think we can make the case that Android actually provides a better experience than webOS because using the latter forces you to give up on things like Google integration and having apps to run. Who would want to switch back?
    Quote Originally Posted by azumak View Post
    -Any ROM I've used on the EVO, and of the 4 apps I've tried for SMS, there is simply no way for me to type a text longer than 160 chars and send it. If I say, reply to a text, it's 200 chars long, and I send it, I get an error from Sprint, 5-10 mins later and I have to re-write or copy-paste it segmented out manually.
    Did you try Handcent SMS? I write texts longer than 160 characters using it and it splits 'em and sends 'em no problem (on Verizon).
    what's even more interesting to me is that everyone (sprint users) who have left webOS all go to android...

part of android's success is the lack of alternatives, given webOS' failure and att's exclusivity with the iphone.

what will be more interesting to me is seeing where pre users go once the iphone, windows phone 7, and (?hp) releases devices on more networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    what's even more interesting to me is that everyone (sprint users) who have left webOS all go to android...

part of android's success is the lack of alternatives, given webOS' failure and att's exclusivity with the iphone.

what will be more interesting to me is seeing where pre users go once the iphone, windows phone 7, and (?hp) releases devices on more networks.
    It doesn't matter where they go.
    They're not on webOS anymore and that's (the lost $) is what counts when all is said and done. And believe me, it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

Good point. The first quarter of 2011 is going to be fun with the Verizon iPhone and Windows Phone 7 hitting CDMA networks in addition to all the next generation Android phones about to be announced.

They're not on webOS anymore and that's (the lost $) is what counts when all is said and done. And believe me, it's done.
    That's such a strong statement but as someone who has watched a lot of platforms die (OS/2, Dreamcast, HD-DVD...) I can't disagree with you. The death of a platform always feels the same: most of its users jump ship while a handful of diehards futilely wait for a deus ex machina that never comes. OS/2 couldn't survive in a world where almost every PC ran Windows 95. The Dreamcast got buried under the Playstation 2 avalanche. Toshiba flatout conceded the high def market to Sony when they realized they didn't have enough studios on board to sell the platform. As for webOS...it's now at the point where I can't think of a single reason to buy a webOS phone over anything else on the market.
    Last edited by nappy; 12/28/2010 at 04:10 PM.
    well count me in as one of the diehard webOS fans who will be here for a while.

I believe in the OS, and I believe in hp.
    if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Not the end of the world. There are tons of other devices available.

I just don't think android is the answer to everyone who has been dismayed by webOS. My wife has the droid 2 and curses it everyday. Something about random reboots, wifi disconnects, and black frozen screens when trying to answer sometimes important phone calls. That's not stability. All phones have problems. Personally, been using pre plus on verizon since jan, no replacements, been all good here except the carrier's support...so why wouldn't I purchase another webOS device IF hp releases some decent upgraded hardware? For all the current evo users, if the phone treats you well, bet you will stick with android, and most likely another HTC android device.
    It aint over till the fat lady sings. I can provide the donuts if you are up for a sex change!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I can sing, that's actually what I trained for, but I can't gain that much, even if I try!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    It aint over till the fat lady sings. I can provide the donuts if you are up for a sex change!
    lol lol lol lol lol, no thank you.

lol lol lol
    I'll add my (slightly) above average girth to verwon's voice and we can call it a wrap.
    I'm still not sold on the Evo, but there's currently a $179 web-only deal for the Epic at RadioShack, and I just might bite on that one. Was planning to wait until after CES to see what Palm might/mightnot announce, but this may be a deal too good to pass up.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)