View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 174 of 182 FirstFirst ... 74124164169170171172173174175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 3633
  1.    #3461  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Got an EVO for x-mass and i kinda like it so far...
    Android is a lot different from webOS. It is like changing to a different car. Things are in different places. The wipers, cruise, and heater work a little differently. This helps show where everything is: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android.

I had forgotten but in the first few days with the EVO, I too was hitting the search button when I was trying to hit menu. I must have changed how I was holding it a little bit because I never have that problem now. I go back and forth between the EVO and Pre without missing a beat.

Typing on the EVO is a lot faster with Swype. You can use Swype without swyping as a predictive keyboard that is actually faster for me than any physical phone keyboard I have ever used. The predictive SwiftKey keyboard is even faster because much of the time it knows what I am about to type before I type it. It's a little scary at times.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/28/2010 at 12:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The Evo Shift 4g that youre talking about is a spec'd down version of the current Evo, kind of a beefed up feature phone, albeit with android and a monstrous screen still. But it wont have the front facing camera that the Evo does, as well as a slower processor. I'd avoid if you're really looking for an "Evo with a keyboard".
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Theres probably a good chance I know your answer already if you're still in the precentral forums reading this, but if you picked up the Evo after your first year with the Pre, would a new webOS phone on Sprint be enough to get you to make the switch back? I got the Evo thinking it would be temporary and with that plan in mind, but I'm wavering at this point.

I think the biggest thing is the functionality of some of the core programs such as google maps/navigation and email (still no threaded emails in Gmail is a big one for me, since I have a work and personal Gmail account). As well as a lack of apps that can use the camera and microphone due to Palm not releasing those API's until fairly recently.

I know patches help to fill some of the holes in webOS, and there will be all the debate about multi-tasking and hardware as well, but do we know if/when some of these other things will start showing up in new webOS builds?
    All I see now is my EVO.

I'm done waiting for Palm/HP to get off their collective behinds.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smith2sc View Post
    Theres probably a good chance I know your answer already if you're still in the precentral forums reading this, but if you picked up the Evo after your first year with the Pre, would a new webOS phone on Sprint be enough to get you to make the switch back? I got the Evo thinking it would be temporary and with that plan in mind, but I'm wavering at this point.

I think the biggest thing is the functionality of some of the core programs such as google maps/navigation and email (still no threaded emails in Gmail is a big one for me, since I have a work and personal Gmail account). As well as a lack of apps that can use the camera and microphone due to Palm not releasing those API's until fairly recently.

I know patches help to fill some of the holes in webOS, and there will be all the debate about multi-tasking and hardware as well, but do we know if/when some of these other things will start showing up in new webOS builds?
    In answer to your first question, it sure is. I can't wait to switch back to a WebOS device for a phone, and leave my HTC EVO to be a multimedia/wifi device, which my traded VZW bad ESN Pre Plus is, right now. I will almost definitely purchase the Sprint version off-contract. The EVO handles a lot of things well, but for 'phone functions', like texting, phone calls... not as stable or easy to use.

The native GMail app is pretty horrible, IMO. Threaded conversations are not elegant at all. I often 'star' or miss individual e-mails in a thread. I don't like it much, but you might.

I have a whole ranty thread I'm gonna create soon comparing the EVO/Pre from an experienced homebrewer's (as in, more than WebOS/Android rooting) perspective. It's gonna be funnn. :]
    Phone history - Sidekick II (T-mo), Blackberry Pearl 8120 (T-mo), Garbage Go-Phone (ATT), Kyocera Wildcard (Virgin), Palm Pre (Sprint), HTC EVO (Sprint), traded de-activated Sprint Pre for VZW Pre Plus!

Currently Rockin - HTC EVO with data and de-activated VZW Pre Plus. Killer Combo~!
    Quote Originally Posted by smith2sc View Post
    The Evo Shift 4g that youre talking about is a spec'd down version of the current Evo, kind of a beefed up feature phone, albeit with android and a monstrous screen still. But it wont have the front facing camera that the Evo does, as well as a slower processor. I'd avoid if you're really looking for an "Evo with a keyboard".
    NO NO NO NO.

EVERYONE STOP THIS.

its slower in terms of clock speed but the new snapdragon has been proven to crunch numbers faster and the GPU is better than the current 1ghz processor. Running at 800Mhz, allow the phone to achieve a better battery ilfe while outperforming the snapdragon in the Evo.

CPU performance:

GPU performance (listed as the HTC Vision)

So enough...everyone please don't comment on something if you don't know what you are talking about. Not to be a jerk, but spreading fud around only confuses others.

EDIT: Note the GPU test was performed back when the Evo was artificially governed at a max 30fps.
    I jumped on the Evo since launch day knowing that Palm wouldn't come out with anything for at least a year and it turns out that I was right by not listening to the just wait crowd. Since the first week of having the Evo and Android OS I was hooked so now the only new phone i'll be looking forward to at CES is an Evo 2 and hopefully there will be one.
    I still miss the fluidity of webOS, but until both hardware (autofocus camera, processing speed, etc) AND software (APIs, apps, etc) can match, I won't be going back to webOS.

My Epic is growing on me.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    this is day 5 with my EVO. I do miss webos, but am holding on to this. At this point, I feel my loyalty to them wasn't strong enough, especially since I was a Sprint launch day Pre owner. They have passed us over time and again, not only with hardware but also flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    NO NO NO NO.

EVERYONE STOP THIS.

its slower in terms of clock speed but the new snapdragon has been proven to crunch numbers faster and the GPU is better than the current 1ghz processor. Running at 800Mhz, allow the phone to achieve a better battery ilfe while outperforming the snapdragon in the Evo.

CPU performance:
    [IMG][/IMG]

GPU performance (listed as the HTC Vision)
    [IMG][/IMG]

So enough...everyone please don't comment on something if you don't know what you are talking about. Not to be a jerk, but spreading fud around only confuses others.

EDIT: Note the GPU test was performed back when the Evo was artificially governed at a max 30fps.
    Thank you. I knew I was right earlier.
    Last edited by koolkid09; 12/28/2010 at 06:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by azumak
    The EVO handles a lot of things well, but for 'phone functions', like texting, phone calls... not as stable.....
    "Not as stable"??!?!?
    As the Pre??

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Rooting to stock FroYo was pretty easy but time-consuming for me, about 3-4 hours with downloading software. Getting onto a custom ROM though, took almost a week of working at it everyday. Not easy at all. I didn't know that I needed to be downgrading the HBoot and radio firmwares during the custom ROM process for 4-5 days. Such a painnn. But now that I got CyanogenMOD up and running, I have been able to keep root to any ROM through the ROM manager. Pretty nice, but still a 10+ (15-20+ if doing a backup) minute process to switch ROMs, though.
    Phone history - Sidekick II (T-mo), Blackberry Pearl 8120 (T-mo), Garbage Go-Phone (ATT), Kyocera Wildcard (Virgin), Palm Pre (Sprint), HTC EVO (Sprint), traded de-activated Sprint Pre for VZW Pre Plus!

Currently Rockin - HTC EVO with data and de-activated VZW Pre Plus. Killer Combo~!
    Since when, do the words "Pre" and "stability" fall into the same sentence?
    (unless it's for lack of it)
    Damn, i loaded a custom room for my first time in like 20 minutes....

Don't know if you were working with a nightly build or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    Since when, do the words "Pre" and "stability" fall into the same sentence?
    (unless it's for lack of it)
    since the pre plus came out. No stability issues.
    I'm with dbd, I have an Evo on the way and don't care what HP announces, if anything.

Adding some apps and stuff to your phone, because you want or need them is one thing, however, you shouldn't have to add homebrew patches, just to get some basic functionality that other phones have out of the box.

It's also completely scared me off of slider phones with a physical keyboard, I'd rather adjust to a virtual one.

He's also right on the stability thing. If people with a stock phone have to doctor as many times as a lot of them have, then you cannot describe it as stable.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Damn, i loaded a custom room for my first time in like 20 minutes....

Don't know if you were working with a nightly build or something.
    Well, my problems were for very specific soft/hardware versions that I just happened to have. Many waves of EVOs have HBoot and Radio versions that can take a custom ROM no problem. I was going off of a guide using unrEVOked3, and went to a stock, rooted FroYo ROM. That was cake. The guide said if I wanted a custom ROM, repeat some earlier steps and sub in the custom ROM, in my case CyanogenMOD 6.1.0. After several fails throughout days trying to figure out exactly what was going wrong, I found the HTC EVO specific installation guide for CM6+ on the CM wiki. I had to downgrade the HBoot firmware and radio versions at certain times. Yech, it was a nightmare. xP

But since getting CM6 booted, I've had no problems losing root going to any ROM I wanted. ROM manager (I bought premium) is pretty nice. CM nightlies were fun, but I'm on a stable for now. When a nightly gets WIMAX or HDMI support, I'm going back to it, lol.

Thank you, my sweet sweet Buttercup.
    haha gotcha. I've been using Myn Warm ROM and have made it my main one.
    I've had the Evo for 3 days now and it's starting to grow on me. I will come back to webOS in the future if good hardware and more APIs are released.

I have to agree with one of the posters above about the native Gmail app on the Evo, its not good.