View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 173 of 182 FirstFirst ... 73123163168169170171172173174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 3633
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i've used my brother's Evo for the first time for an extended period of time over this holiday. I have to say this thing is awesome.

the app catalog. wow! no contest compared to webos. there are plain and simple jsut way way way more useful apps.

voice search/voice text - well there's a thread that just type is obselete. i wouldn't say obselete but i think it's irrelevant. I spoke "Navigate to airport" and it launches the navigation app, plots the route to the airport. a lot faster then typing anything. Just type just doesn't compare to voice searching, voice commands

features, from the camera, to the video camera, to the options. music player sucks though. Doesn't hold a candle to an ipod. but winamp app shows some promise. still strikes me as a bit illogical but i couldn't really test it cause he didn't have much music on it.

it also trounced my pre in terms of reception and usability when i'm the boonies. i'm in some southern town without great coverage. my gps was useless. couldn't find my car. theirs was perfect while sitting in the same car. I could totally totally live with android. I don't like the htc widgets but overall the user interface isn't perfect but i'd easily be happy with it since there are apps and it looks nice. but a very very impressive phone. sorry the Pre and Pre 2, my opinion, aren't even in the conversation compared to what they are offering.
    Aegree. I was planning to hold out and wait for CES to see what HP Palm will offer, but I decided to try the EVO and it just trounces my wife's Pre is so many ways. No lag, much better reception (best if any phone I have owned or tried), full app selection, the size gets so comfortable in a short time. The keyboard is great and it will get the new updates since if has the power specs to keep up as a top phone. The battery life has impressed me a ton since I figured out a few settings that help and don't detract from my daily use at all. I thought I would try it for a few weeks and return it, but honestly I think I will keep it since it does everything.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    Aegree. I was planning to hold out and wait for CES to see what HP Palm will offer, but I decided to try the EVO and it just trounces my wife's Pre is so many ways. No lag, much better reception (best if any phone I have owned or tried), full app selection, the size gets so comfortable in a short time. The keyboard is great and it will get the new updates since if has the power specs to keep up as a top phone. The battery life has impressed me a ton since I figured out a few settings that help and don't detract from my daily use at all. I thought I would try it for a few weeks and return it, but honestly I think I will keep it since it does everything.
    I got the Evo during this $99 special time frame, but I am very impressed w/some things & not others. My battery life isn't much better than the Pre & I turn off 4G, GPS, etc when not in use. I have had the phone now since the 23rd & I have to work really hard w/the keyboard. I am getting better, but I am not that impressed. AND, you have to root the phone to take a screen shot--what is that about???

The hardware is top notch & it is exceptionally nice to have so many quality apps that can do things the Pre simply can't. I love the screen quality & was surprised (I am a small guy) how easy it was to hold this monster device in my hand. Though the camera is very slow--I often move the camera before it is done taking the shot & end up w/a blurred pic--it creates a magnificent picture when I am patient enough to do it correctly.

I still like webOS much better so far as an operating system & I love the Pre's notifications, but I will give the Evo the full 30 day test drive. I have downloaded about 10 new apps today--and maybe only 1 or 2 of them are available on the Pre. I will wait until the 30 day period is up to make my decision. Right now I carry & use both phones.
    Dude.get the barly there case.that's what it's called.adds just about nothing to the phone,and protects camera lens. To be honest I love it,but, man you forget it is there so much, when I got my charging dock I was mad because it was hard to put the evo on the dock. Took me about thirty mins to realize it was due to the case. It worked, but hard to get in. Now I don't use case anymore because I rather use charging dock. Its so awesome it trumps the case. Case pops on and off so easy that if you want to put it on when you go out, only takes a second to pop it on.

Sent using taptalk.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Is there a reason this would occur?: I was on Delta airlines the other day & they are giving free WiFi thru the holidays. Anyway, both the Pre & Evo found the network & showed a strong signal, but I could not get to the sign in page w/the Evo. I had no trouble logging on w/the Pre, though I had to expand the screen once.
    Quote Originally Posted by astark View Post
    What the hell do you want to take a screenshot for?
    This is not a negative comment on the Evo. However screenshots are useful for posting error messages, unusual behavior on forums, showing another forum member a setting and in business making documentation for users, like how to connect to the corporate wifi, how to use vpn etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    .... I have to work really hard w/the keyboard. I am getting better, but I am not that impressed. AND, you have to root the phone to take a screen shot--what is that about???
    NO YOU DON'T.
    You don't have to root the EVO to take screenshots. Just download the "Screenshot It" app.

As far as your keyboard issues, there are about thirty different ones to choose from in the Android Market. Many of them have free trials.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    yes. i was quite impressed. I'm probably still getting an iphone but the EVO put Android back in the game for me. I mean i have stock trading accounts at fidelity and i downloaded the app; very cool. you can do tons of stuff like manage my Roth IRA. But what struck me was that this is really aging tech. (not old but not new anymore). There are better screens i think, dual core coming, 1080p recording coming. So depending on the user's needs it may not even be the best android phone out there and obviously won't be sooner or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    NO YOU DON'T.
    You don't have to root the EVO to take screenshots. Just download the "Screenshot It" app.

As far as your keyboard issues, there are about thirty different ones to choose from in the Android Market. Many of them have free trials.
    swype too
    The EVO may not win any beauty contests, but it'll never let you down.
    honestly i find the EVO to be one of the more attractive phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    the G2 has a newer generation processor. The GHz number alone is not a reliable measurement of performance. Kinda like cameras and megapixels
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! ^Voice of reason here^

People should stop with the "I want the one with the bigger GHz's" :-)
    Got an Evo for x-mass and i kinda like it so far, but my hands are to small I cant reach the home button with my thumb and i am always hitting the search key with the base of my thumb.

Gotta say i like the pre better still but none the less i will still be trying it out until my 30 are up. Going to return it no matter what with CES coming up.

That being said i got stuck at the airport waiting for our car last night and i was able to pull up fox.com to watch family guy over 4g and that was kinda badass even though their lips didn't match up to the words.
    Swype is now baked into the ROM so thats free and included.
    Also, just trust the spell correction with virtual keyboards...once I learned to trust the system i would FLY on the keyboard. I'm using the Gingerbread stock keyboard now and i love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! ^Voice of reason here^

People should stop with the "I want the one with the bigger GHz's" :-)
    This..i was banging my head cause of the first page.

The G2 and this new Evo are running the new Snapdragon processor with the better GPU and more efficient CPU that runs better at lower clock speeds which also increases battery efficiency.

Its no the Mhz race that the pentium era was.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/28/2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: language cleanup
    Or just go here....

unrevoked
    btw, i'm rooted (not through unrevoked) and i use it for wireless tether and custom ROMS.

Its a lot of information to take in all at once but once you "get it down" its rather simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Also, just trust the spell correction with virtual keyboards...once I learned to trust the system i would FLY on the keyboard. I'm using the Gingerbread stock keyboard now and i love it.
    That was one of the things that I had to get used to as well. I still don't trust it 100% (just a wall in my mind that I'm still chipping away) but I have noticed that the more I trust it the faster I type (or swype).

The trust thing comes into play even more when I switch over to Spanish. It corrects spelling and accents perfectly. Pretty sweet!
    NO YOU DON'T.

Is that an app or a patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    Is that an app or a patch?
    It's in the Android Market.

No rooting, no patching.
    Sorry guys, I was able to root it 24 hours after I got it. I miss webOS but let me tell you, I like Android and I LOVE the Evo. This is my first Android device and it did not disappoint.