View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 169 of 182 FirstFirst ... 69119159164165166167168169170171172173174179 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 3633
  1. #3361  
    Setting flash to "On Demand" is the biggest speed bump for the browser. And i actually think flash works ok to pretty good on my Evo. Video plays a lot smoother once it fully buffers (thats where 4G comes in handy).
  2. #3362  
    Watching Hulu on my EVO is pretty smooth. Watched an entire 1hr segment (on wifi) yesterday w/o any issues.
  3. #3363  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Watching Hulu on my EVO is pretty smooth. Watched an entire 1hr segment (on wifi) yesterday w/o any issues.
    How did you manage that? It keeps telling me my device is not supported.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  4. #3364  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Watching Hulu on my EVO is pretty smooth. Watched an entire 1hr segment (on wifi) yesterday w/o any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    How did you manage that? It keeps telling me my device is not supported.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Same here. Please, do tell.
  5. #3365  
    The new Beta of Warm TwoPointTwo has the option to install Hulu.

    I believe it is using an existing method of installing flash and tricking Hulu into thinking it is a different device.

    I haven't had a chance to really investigate it. It (Warm RLS4) was just released in Beta last week (15th) and I loaded it late last week. Tried Hulu for the first time yesterday. Navigation was somewhat of a pain... but the actual video was flawless.
  6. Slow_S10's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    #3366  
    I have to somewhat sadly admit that I too will be picking up the EVO next week like many many of the people that have also posted here. I absolutely loved my Pre to death... but therein lies the problem, the poor phone is dying and now it's just time to put it out of its misery. I really wanted to hold out for something new from Palm but for a Sprint customer that something new is just not going to come soon enough. My Pre is still basically functional but a busted external speaker, extremely low ear piece volume, a cracked screen and for some reason a battery that only lasts for about 30 mins of continual use (even at the stock clock speed) have made it more and more frustrating to rely on as my sole means of telephone communication as I do not have a home phone.

    I have been struggling between getting an Epic or an EVO but even as much as I love having a physical kb the company behind the EVO and the amazingly positive reviews that I have read everywhere have swayed me towards it.

    Still should HP Palm come out with something incredible next year and the WebOS app developers really step it up I'll definitely be back. And from what I have seen so far they are headed in the right direction with 2.0.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
  7. #3367  
    I have the EVO and have used the Epic a fair amount. I would definitely go with the EVO, if the keyboard is not a show stopper. ROM support (if you are interested in rooting) is almost second to none on the EVO.

    I used to prefer a physical keyboard... but after adjusting... I do not miss it at all and find it somewhat cumbersome to go back to (My wife and Daughter still have Pre's) after using Swype, etc..

    Oh BTW. If you are not interested in rooting... nearly everyone agrees that HTC Sense is the best of the manufacturer UI's for a stock experience.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 11/23/2010 at 02:49 PM.
  8. #3368  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Same here. Please, do tell.
    If you have root, it's pretty simple. I've had the ability to flash Hulu for weeks (I'm on CM6.1):

    Fully functioning Hulu for any rom. - xda-developers
  9. #3369  
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboy182 View Post
    I have to somewhat sadly admit that I too will be picking up the EVO next week like many many of the people that have also posted here. I absolutely loved my Pre to death... but therein lies the problem, the poor phone is dying and now it's just time to put it out of its misery. I really wanted to hold out for something new from Palm but for a Sprint customer that something new is just not going to come soon enough. My Pre is still basically functional but a busted external speaker, extremely low ear piece volume, a cracked screen and for some reason a battery that only lasts for about 30 mins of continual use (even at the stock clock speed) have made it more and more frustrating to rely on as my sole means of telephone communication as I do not have a home phone.

    I have been struggling between getting an Epic or an EVO but even as much as I love having a physical kb the company behind the EVO and the amazingly positive reviews that I have read everywhere have swayed me towards it.

    Still should HP Palm come out with something incredible next year and the WebOS app developers really step it up I'll definitely be back. And from what I have seen so far they are headed in the right direction with 2.0.
    In regard to the keyboard: I thought for sure I'd like the epic due to always like physical keyboards in the past (I LOVE portrait sliders), but found myself absolutely hating the one on the epic. It just has a bad feel to it to me, and I really don't like landscape keyboards.

    I can say that after trying a few and settling on one I like, I really am getting to be okay with the virtual keyboard. Like as in, it is no longer on the supposed dealbreaker list.

    I think if you like the pre, you'll prefer one of the available vkbs over the physical one on epic.


    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  10. #3370  
    I just got the device on Thursday, so I have yet to root. I'm waiting until my new SD card is delivered (probably tomorrow). I may even just go as is for longer, as I really haven't found it necessary.

    I'm sure the tinkering bug will get me soon though. But, I'm much more afraid to try it on this device than I was the unbrickable pre.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  11. Slow_S10's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    #3371  
    Thanks, you guys are definitely making this choice (EVO or Epic)easier for me. I agree I really loved the Pre's Portrait KB and was not really too thrilled about the idea of a landscape slider, not to mention I have heard people complaining of the kb being wobbly kind of like the Pre oreo issue, which is kind of why now I really like the idea of a phone without moving parts. I have also heard people complain about how much more the EVO weighs but to me I have held both phones and I like the extra weight of the EVO. It just makes the phone feel more solidly built, by comparison the Epic feels kind of cheap...

    I think the last nail in the coffin for the Epic is that my last phone (before the Pre) was a Samsung phone and it left me very disapointed.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
  12. #3372  
    I turned in my Pre last night for the EVO. The Pre was fun while it lasted by I am tired of waiting while others get to enjoy what we 'expect' to have in the future. For me, the future is now. Now I have 10's of thousands of apps, an 8mp camera, a HD 720p video cam with HDMI connectivity, Flash, super fast 4g speeds, large screen, video conferencing, etc, etc, etc.

    That said, MANY thanks to all the Mods / Developers that kept the Pre exciting and fun to use! Without you guys I would have turned in the Pre a long time ago. Farewell.
  13. #3373  
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboy182 View Post
    I have also heard people complain about how much more the EVO weighs but to me I have held both phones and I like the extra weight of the EVO. It just makes the phone feel more solidly built, by comparison the Epic feels kind of cheap...
    Interesting. When I took my wife to upgrade from her Pre, that was exactly our first impression after handling the Epic. Not a knock on the Epic as it seems to be a slamming phone, but the very first thought I had when I held it was that it felt cheap. I may still get it for my mom who's aching to get rid of her Pre and needs a keyboard. The wife and brother are pretty much set on getting an Evo over an Epic. Like me, they want no moving parts.
  14. #3374  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Interesting. When I took my wife to upgrade from her Pre, that was exactly our first impression after handling the Epic. Not a knock on the Epic as it seems to be a slamming phone, but the very first thought I had when I held it was that it felt cheap. I may still get it for my mom who's aching to get rid of her Pre and needs a keyboard. The wife and brother are pretty much set on getting an Evo over an Epic. Like me, they want no moving parts.
    Yep, no moving parts was the decision maker for me. I went through 6 Pre's, four related to kb issues. No moving parts = less things that can break.

    Loving my EVO!!!!!!!
  15. 4cdndctn's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #3375  
    Hold the Evo in one hand and the Pre in the other, the Pre looks and feels like it could have come in a Fisher-Price box. I stuck by my launch day Pre and felt little love from Palm/HP or Sprint; the only love felt was from this community.

    It's been a few months since I converted and I still check this site occasionally... On Android Central (or other Android sites), there is radical change, new hardware and software daily if not hourly plus a mass of focused developers, etc... With WebOS, 2 months could go by with no interesting news, just stories to fill dead space containing little more than hope and promise. I keep checking as I want to believe...

    WebOS has such a great UI with gestures, but what happens if that becomes available on Android (which has way too many taps), WebOS will no longer carry any competitive advantage as it relates to a smartphone, that I see at least. I admittedly get jealous watching my wife move through her Pixi gesturing but then I remember I'd rather have 4G and for that matter, WiFi... I mean seriously, Sprint's Pixi does not come with WiFi!!!

    There can be only so many platforms in any technology subvertical and for phones/smartphones, the limit looks like 4, sorry WebOS.

    For those of you die hards in this community don't let WebOS die. Keep the spirit alive and hopefully one day she will PREvail (good pun, eh?!) but for this user who needs business and personal functionality it came down to this... When I travel, I used to have my Pre on my hip and my laptop in a case. With my Evo, bye bye laptop case, the Evo does it all.

    Happy Thanksgiving
    -4cdndctn
  16. #3376  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cdndctn View Post
    Hold the Evo in one hand and the Pre in the other, the Pre looks and feels like it could have come in a Fisher-Price box. I stuck by my launch day Pre and felt little love from Palm/HP or Sprint; the only love felt was from this community.

    It's been a few months since I converted and I still check this site occasionally... On Android Central (or other Android sites), there is radical change, new hardware and software daily if not hourly plus a mass of focused developers, etc... With WebOS, 2 months could go by with no interesting news, just stories to fill dead space containing little more than hope and promise. I keep checking as I want to believe...

    WebOS has such a great UI with gestures, but what happens if that becomes available on Android (which has way too many taps), WebOS will no longer carry any competitive advantage as it relates to a smartphone, that I see at least. I admittedly get jealous watching my wife move through her Pixi gesturing but then I remember I'd rather have 4G and for that matter, WiFi... I mean seriously, Sprint's Pixi does not come with WiFi!!!

    There can be only so many platforms in any technology subvertical and for phones/smartphones, the limit looks like 4, sorry WebOS.

    For those of you die hards in this community don't let WebOS die. Keep the spirit alive and hopefully one day she will PREvail (good pun, eh?!) but for this user who needs business and personal functionality it came down to this... When I travel, I used to have my Pre on my hip and my laptop in a case. With my Evo, bye bye laptop case, the Evo does it all.
    Amen
  17. #3377  
    I still have my gf's old Pre that i use often for pandora in my living room and honestly the screen really feels squished haha.

    3.7" is the smallest phone screen i could probably go now. Some days 4.3 is a bit too big (depending on what app i'm using) but I really do love the space. 4" would probably be perfect.
  18. #3378  
    Never thought I would like a screen keyboard but now I do. Evo is a very nice device and the size Is not to big like I first thought. Fits very nicely in my pocket,it is so thin you can barly see it in there. I carried my pre around in a sprint leather case,my evo fits perfect in the same case,like it was made for it. Its has been a week and the more I learn,the more I like this phone.


    set using tap talk
  19. susanoo26's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #3379  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Never thought I would like a screen keyboard but now I do. Evo is a very nice device and the size Is not to big like I first thought. Fits very nicely in my pocket,it is so thin you can barly see it in there. I carried my pre around in a sprint leather case,my evo fits perfect in the same case,like it was made for it. Its has been a week and the more I learn,the more I like this phone.


    set using tap talk
    Check out the Dolphin Browser.....works awesome on the EVO
  20. #3380  
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    Check out the Dolphin Browser.....works awesome on the EVO
    lol, i already told him about that.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions