View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 165 of 182 FirstFirst ... 65115155160161162163164165166167168169170175 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 3633
  1.    #3281  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Why not compare the Pre with a mid 2011 device? Or 2012? Or why not compare the Treo 600 with the iPhone4?

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    The Cross-Platform Chat is the forum specifically to compare the latest and greatest phones from different manufacturers.

This thread is comparing the flagship phone from Palm, the Pre, with one of the flagship phones from HTC, the EVO. This is exactly the comparison to make in this forum.

Motorola, Samsung, and HTC release new Android phones every few weeks. Palm releases new phones every few...well, not as often.

If Palm removed the Pre from the market as obsolete, it would no longer be fair to compare the Pre with other phones.

Instead, Palm is selling the Pre as their flagship phone. It is fair to compare it to other phones.

Now comparing the Pre to a Treo is really not a fair comparison. Even after dozens of patches the Pre is still missing so much of the basic functionality of the Treo's. The music player that came with the Treo 600 in 2003 had so many great features that the Pre lacks.

And 16 months later, Palm still will not open the API's so that Music Play (Remix) and NanPlayer can be released. The camera API is locked so third party developers cannot give us digital zoom, effects, and real camera features.

The mic API is locked so that Shazam can't work. And instead of Voice Commands and Voice Recognition the locked mic API means that we are hoping to get the Just Type features our Treo's had in 2005.

Half of the most important features are locked out on the Pre. And out of over 400 patches, Palm has incorporated exactly 6. But as long as Palm sells the Pre as their latest and greatest phone, we need to compare it to other latest and greatest phones.

That is what this forum does.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/10/2010 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0711 View Post
    I find it funny that the poll is turned off just in time to keep the PRE ahead. My PRE is a POS since I am on my third phone and need a fourth but the remaned phones only have a 30 day warranty. HMMMM....wonder why? The wife's PRE will not stay on and shuts down sometimes for no reason???? The PRE is not a good phone. You better powder it like a nice piece of ***** or it will break. I am moving on....web os, well, others will make better for sure.
    The polls usually have an end date, so it's likely it was not "turned of just in time" for anything. What I do find funny with this poll is that it is just not balanced at all. There is 1 way to answer in favor of the evo, 3 ways to answer in favor of the pre and 1 maybe. I don't know if it was intentional, but it was setup to show webOS is a good light (3 out of 5 choices says yes to webOS).
  3.    #3283  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0711 View Post
    I find it funny that the poll is turned off just in time to keep the PRE ahead. My PRE is a POS since I am on my third phone and need a fourth but the remaned phones only have a 30 day warranty. HMMMM....wonder why? The wife's PRE will not stay on and shuts down sometimes for no reason???? The PRE is not a good phone. You better powder it like a nice piece of ***** or it will break. I am moving on....web os, well, others will make better for sure.
    The poll opened 4/1/10 with a 180 day time. I reset the time to 360 days. Let me know if this opens it up so that others can continue to vote.

- Craig
    a guy came to me cause he knows I'm into all the homebrew stuff on my pre. He's fed up and switching to evo. He wants to transfer his hundreds of memos. He has no homebrew software, I cannot find a solution for him beyond borrowing his phone and using wosqi and sql to make him a csv file which I don't think he wants and would be a big pain for me. Any of you switchers know if sprint can do this for him or have suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    a guy came to me cause he knows I'm into all the homebrew stuff on my pre. He's fed up and switching to evo. He wants to transfer his hundreds of memos. He has no homebrew software, I cannot find a solution for him beyond borrowing his phone and using wosqi and sql to make him a csv file which I don't think he wants and would be a big pain for me. Any of you switchers know if sprint can do this for him or have suggestions?
    Try this question over at the EVO forum at Android Central -

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/

You have a better shot at getting it answered (sorry I can't help).

Dave
    couple of my friends have the evo. Too big and ugly for me
    Good for the guys that switched to the Evo (Android) and loved it. I switched from a Sprint Pre to the Samsung Captivate on At&t and after 4 weeks I just didn't like Android. I found Android boring and multasking on it (just like iOS) is a joke compared to webOS. Android's App market is bigger but after downloading a bunch of them, I only used a few faithfully. WebOS is just so much more fun to use and pleasing to the eyes. I eBayed the Capitivate and gladly got a Pre Plus.
    I'm glad i'm waiting for the next phone. Just saw on engaget that their tests with LTE while driving around in a car was 90Mbps download! Wimax is 10Mbps. That is an incredible performance gap. Glad I didn't go with Wimax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I'm glad i'm waiting for the next phone. Just saw on engaget that their tests with LTE while driving around in a car was 90Mbps download! Wimax is 10Mbps. That is an incredible performance gap. Glad I didn't go with Wimax.
    ummm link?

Verizon LTE test are NOT 90Mbps.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainforrest View Post
    Good for the guys that switched to the Evo (Android) and loved it. I switched from a Sprint Pre to the Samsung Captivate on At&t and after 4 weeks I just didn't like Android. I found Android boring and multasking on it (just like iOS) is a joke compared to webOS. Android's App market is bigger but after downloading a bunch of them, I only used a few faithfully. WebOS is just so much more fun to use and pleasing to the eyes. I eBayed the Capitivate and gladly got a Pre Plus.
    With opinions like this I'm starting to think a freakin' iPhone is the way to go....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    ummm link?

Verizon LTE test are NOT 90Mbps.
    Clearwire achieved it in specialized testing:

Look HERE
    Someone who was supposed to be at work at 7am just sent me a text message that his alarm clock didn't wake him up because his ringer was off, and the time now is 745. The evo won't play alarms when the ringer is off? What?
    I have a little checkbox that says to have the alarm be heard if the phone is in silent mode. Guess he needs to learn how to use his phone. Vibrating helps too. I keep my phone next to me so the vibration can help wake me up.
    Just came in, I looked at his phone alarm settings and alarm in silent mode was checked.
    then he slept through it and is trying to blame the phone

Seriously though. I've had almost every Android phone on Sprint (Hero, Moment, Evo & Epic), and the alarm has been rock solid, more so than my Pre or Pixi. If I go through alarm issues on the android forums, it's either been a task killer issue or a ringtone change. But those threads seem like a small handful of posts, nothing ongoing.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    ahh haa look at all the Android fan boys on P|C. Another coworker with a Droid hates his alarm also and says it has failed him. Hey, just going by what people say.
    fan boy? hardly. with over 2500 posts dating back to early treo days? don't think so. Bought the pre at launch. Hated it. Was and still is a bit of a departure from some of the functionality in PalmOS. Couldn't edit documents was a big issue as I do invoicing from my phone. So the bad hardware and limited functionality had it go back. Even now my fingers hurt with extended typing on the Pre. Went over to android. Had more functionality but not as elegant as the webOS. Easy tradeoff once I made use of some good widgets and of course Docs To Go. When the Pixi came out, I picked it up and gave it a shot. Liked it. Still had my Moment for invoicing over wifi so I enjoyed webOS on a much better phone (better keyboard, slim and small, no crap slider). Then google voice was no longer supported, and I'm not dealing with paying for a youview and workarounds to get the functionality back. Not to mention the larger screens of both the Evo and Epic were just a joy for doing actual work (the Epic more so in Docs To Go). They also made my home screen more usable with the extra space and the row adding space of Launcher Pro. So more info at my fingertips without launching apps or weeding through cards. Passed off my Pixi to a coworker who hated his Hero and the Pixi fit his needs perfectly (albeit a little slow) so I picked up a Pre to revisit webOS and keep current with it to see if it's worth coming back at some point. For $90 it was a no brainer. Use it on my nightstand and stream media via a BT adapter to my stereo as well as check email and such. I'm just able to "do" more with Android so the larger screen, better res, much better keyboard and more functionality just win out. Multitasking and email/sms aren't as elegant and polished, but it is more functional. Just something as simple as the scrolling of email subjects and text messages in the notification bar is a big plus, and I can't imagine why webOS hasn't adopted that yet. Neither is perfect. Stacks doesn't really help me with how I used my phone, I'd prefer to minimize cards and have useful info on my background, though on a smaller, lower res screen, it's not as helpful. I rarely kept more than two to three cards open at a time and just naturally ditched things when I was done. Much prefer to see a text only version of my agenda with a nice background image instead of having to open the app or swipe to the card all the time.

So it's just functionality and usability over the polish and elegance for me. But if webOS progresses enough in the OS and hardware (because the Pre2 is just a joke, and a year too late), I'll revisit it. The big plus of managing multiple lines to juggle and play with phones and then pass them off to others leaving their upgrade open for something new. At the moment, it's just impossible to recommend the Pre or Pixi to coworkers. Some are using the Pixi now and jones'n to upgrade because it's just so slow and they don't like the Pre. It'd be easy to buy used Pre's and sell the Pixis. So the Evo and Epic are just no brainers. My one rep has has my Evo (about two weeks in now) and is just amazed by it after ditching her Pixi. And once I got a hold of it and showed her a few widgets and apps, she's liking it even more. Though she is jealous of the color on my Epic. Just downloaded winamp onto it for her and told her how to get her music onto over wifi via the desktop version of it. Popped in a 16gb card for her and told her to use the adapter for the 8gb card and pop it into her camera. Then she can swap cards to review on the phone and upload to facebook and such. Something that can't be done in webOS or WP7 for that matter. Have a few reps who's contracts aren't up till February so hopefully HP announces some good new hardware to tempt people to stick with webOS, otherwise we'll be all android and blackberry at work in no time.
    Last edited by crogs571; 10/22/2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Oh so never a real world test....so useful to no one really.

Not to dump on your information but all specialized test hit theoretical maximums that won't be possible in real world scenarios.

WiMax theoretical is 40Mbps, but i'd be dumb to expect that in real world situations.

LTE will be around the same average speeds of WiMax for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Brain Mantis; 10/22/2010 at 10:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Someone who was supposed to be at work at 7am just sent me a text message that his alarm clock didn't wake him up because his ringer was off, and the time now is 745. The evo won't play alarms when the ringer is off? What?
    That's completely false:
    Here is the ringer profile:

Thats by default. Your ringer volume is not the same as your alarm volume. I've also NEVER have had my alarm not work.

My alarm on both my Treo and Pre would not work randomly at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Oh so never a real world test....so useful to no one really.

Not to dump on your information but all specialized test hit theoretical maximums that won't be possible in real world scenarios.

WiMax theoretical is 40Mbps, but i'd be dumb to expect that in real world situations.

LTE will be around the same average speeds of WiMax for the foreseeable future.

Hardly. Have you ever performed tests such as these? I have many times in the past.

This test as well as others like it are designed to test the theoretical maximums, to validate the concept and the first implementation. It would be patently silly to expect anything close to it. But, the fact does remain and it's indisputable: they achieved 90 mb/s OTA with off the shelf hardware.

And this was hardly an FOA but it does prove it's possible and thats a successful test. If yo shoot for 100 mb, like on an FE link and achieve 40 mb/s in real world thats still acceptable.

GigE rarely achieves much above 200-250 mb/s in daily use. Is that a failure of the standard?

This merely shows the concept is valid and those speeds can be obtained. I expect 20-30 mb/s in the final implementation and if they hit that target it's a complete success when you allow for environmental, user, load and other factors.