View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 163 of 182 FirstFirst ... 63113153158159160161162163164165166167168173 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,260 of 3633
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Screenshots don't trip my trigger. Being called a teat-sucker may though.

I feel bad for you, friend.
    LOL, it is funny to me people are still talking about this. It's been more than 3 months since the EVO came out. Everyone who was going to switch did, and either came back to the Pre or stayed with the EVO. The only ones by now who may not have made up their minds are those who were waiting for their eligibility date, but I don't think many people are out there who haven't come down on one side of the fence or the other. You are either in camp Pre or team EVO. And I don't think anyone is going to convince anyone else that has made their decision that the opposite side of the fence is better. It almost seems like the Pre community is calling out people who prefer the EVO as traitors to their Pres. And the EVO (android) community is still checking Precentral, and still cares enough to defend themselves from being called a traitor. Time to let it go people...

Or not. (Fight!)
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    For me it's all about how far behind the curve The Pre and Web OS are. The EVO is proof in the pudding for me.

But I do have to wait until next summer for my contract to be up. I hope by then the The Pre and Web OS have caught up, or at least satisfied my needs. It sounds like this is a possibility. If not, I'll be moving on. No biggie....just the waiting part sucks right now because The Pre has clearly not lived up to the expectations as advertised to the consumer by Palm.
    I had loaded an overclocking kernel and a ton of patches on my Pre but so far I haven't had any need or inclination to root my EVO (and I'm a s/w engineer by profession so that's a bit of a surprise for me). But I don't want to bash anybody who wants to stay with their Pre and WebOS; we're just talking about phones and personal preferences and better for me doesn't translate into better for you.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    I had loaded an overclocking kernel and a ton of patches on my Pre but so far I haven't had any need or inclination to root my EVO (and I'm a s/w engineer by profession so that's a bit of a surprise for me). But I don't want to bash anybody who wants to stay with their Pre and WebOS; we're just talking about phones and personal preferences and better for me doesn't translate into better for you.

Dave
    funny thing is, im the same way as you are. i had my pre patched like crazy and overclocked but now with my evo havent had the urge to root it bc in reality i dont have to
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Dave
    Same...the nerd in me is really the only reason. Hell i didn't even really do anything with my Root except for the screenshot app and free tethering (which i don't even have a laptop but figured it could come in hand).
    What? Angry Birds is only available as a beta for Android? That's a bit of a surprise to me..
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    What? Angry Birds is only available as a beta for Android? That's a bit of a surprise to me..
    Popular iphone games come over at a slower pace than WebOS because WebOS has its PDK which makes it a lot easier to port apps. (not to mention only two handsets vs. androids many many handsets.)

If gaming is your thing, right now i would recommend an iphone or an ipod touch...android and webOS habe their own cool 2D games, but 3D games right now are all iPhone ports.

But yeah, hurry up with the full version....i got 3 stars on all the beta levels.
    this thread is moot.... there is no comparison.... the pre runs circles around that clunky android
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    this thread is moot.... there is no comparison.... the pre runs circles around that clunky android
    for having the pre for 15 months and switching to the evo a month ago, in my opinion i have to say you're completely wrong, but like i said thats just my opinion. yes webos is a great OS but android is just way way way ahead of it, i thought it was clunky before i switched just by watching videos but when i finally switched to it, wow was i really that hard headed and wrong. android is light years ahead of webos, but like i said i have my opinion, u have urs and if u think the pre runs circles around android then thats ur opinion, i think otherwise
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

The only thing that's moot should be your post. The only thing the pre is running circles around is my bedroom lamp since itKs become an alarm clock and email checker. Evo or epic, both go beyond webOS in pure functionality, speed and what not. The epic surpasses it with a superior cpu and graphics chip. And after a little customization webOS is long forgotten. Come back when new hardware and 2.0 hits, and we'll talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The only thing that's moot should be your post. The only thing the pre is running circles around is my bedroom lamp since itKs become an alarm clock and email checker. Evo or epic, both go beyond webOS in pure functionality, speed and what not. The epic surpasses it with a superior cpu and graphics chip. And after a little customization webOS is long forgotten. Come back when new hardware and 2.0 hits, and we'll talk.
    u know that the evo got an update last night that takes away the 30fps cap, so now it runs on average 53 fps and everything is way more smoother than before
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    for having the pre for 15 months and switching to the evo a month ago, in my opinion i have to say you're completely wrong, but like i said thats just my opinion. yes webos is a great OS but android is just way way way ahead of it, i thought it was clunky before i switched just by watching videos but when i finally switched to it, wow was i really that hard headed and wrong. android is light years ahead of webos, but like i said i have my opinion, u have urs and if u think the pre runs circles around android then thats ur opinion, i think otherwise
    Gotta agree with you. My Pre got to be too problematic with h/w problems and I jumped to an EVO with not just a little trepidation. But having used it for a month now I'm loving it and not missing the Pre a bit. (And today's OTA update was great.)

Dave
    Gotta agree with you. My Pre got to be too problematic with h/w problems and I jumped to an EVO with not just a little trepidation. But having used it for a month now I'm loving it and not missing the Pre a bit. (And today's OTA update was great.)

Dave
    yes last nights update was awesome, it also unlocked the ability to install screen shot apps that work without rooting
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I owned a Pre for a year. I have had the EVO for 3 months now. I also own an Itouch.
    Let me tell you that the evo has surpassed my hopes to find a new great phone since I had my Treo 650. I had a centro and a Pre (always been buying Palm devices) and they were really poor devices imo. Yes webOS is great, but so unfinished. ANdroid, since 2.0, has become a very reliable OS, it takes a few days to get used to, but after that, it is SO good. Nothing I miss, I have not even rooted my phone yet. Now this was for Android, the evo as hardware is fantastic, yes it's big, but the screen is so awesome.
    Have to say that its far better than the pre. Hugh fan of the big screen but I'm still praying hp gives some info within my 30 days. The video playback is amazing.
    I wouldn't hold your breath. They seem more concerned with a tablet than a new phone and are kidding themselves if they think a tablet will drive phone sales down the road.
    i bet you all would have rooted your evo by now, if it were as simple as installing preware if you say different your lyeing... imho
    i bet you all would have rooted your evo by now, if it were as simple as installing preware if you say different your lyeing... imho
    the only reason to root imho is if i would want to tether my evo wifi so i dont have to pay for it but i dont need to bc i can just tether from an app from the market for free with a cable, and i love htc sense so i dont need to root. htc already took away the 30fps cap and they allow screenshots to work now, so in reality theres no reason to root.

Update: another thing i wanted to add, many of the apps that i needed to buy on webOS, they're completely free on the android market, some are free with ads but i prefer ads than buying some apps. i only buy apps that i really use a lot and it requires buying, but like twitter apps they're free with ads and i dont mind, also some things that required patching in webOS, they dont require rooting at all in the android market, you just need to download an app mostly sometimes and its perfect for me. so in reality i havent looked back, my evo is super fast and when i ever go back to my pre, it just feels so damn slow, im happy i chose to upgrade
    Last edited by maxima2k53; 09/26/2010 at 06:28 PM.
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Two things that makes this a bad bet to make:

1. I believe there are "one-click" root methods for the evo.
    2. Many of the options provided by Preware in webOS comes standard on Android so there is often less reason to root.