View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 161 of 182 FirstFirst ... 61111151156157158159160161162163164165166171 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 3633
    In Android, there really is a "recent" applications list and it is available with a long tap on the home button. That greatly reduces use of the finger.

Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I had a very brief experience with an EVO this weekend but before I lay that out I have to disagree with this comparison.

With WebOS if you have five apps open (as you described, but works with 8) all you have to do is...

1. swipe up
    2. tap your screen (not on a card) to go to small card view
    3. 1 swipe in any direction will take you as far as you need to select any other app.
    4. tap the desired card.

That is shorter and faster than what you described. Granted it isn't two taps, but that only works on Android if you have the icon for the app you want to switch to on the home page. If it is in the all apps list you will have to tap the arrow, scroll to the app and then tap the icon. Not any shorter than WebOS.

Now for my VERY brief experience with the EVO. My wife was elligible for an upgrade and her work uses the Good messaging client (not available on WebOS yet due to security issues) and it is available for Android and iPhone. So we went and picked up an EVO for her. While we were at lunch I played with the EVO a bit and loved the screen size and general functionality. The clock with real time weather was great. The active home screen was great. Having visual voicemail natively was great. Also having the Google apps integrate seamlessly was nice too. I didn't care for navigating the OS much but figured I could get used to it and customize as needed (all of the WebOS apps I use on a regular basis would not fit on a single screen, much less the home screen). I also didn't like not having a physical keyboard.

All in all I could have learned to live with the things I didn't like. So I upgraded and got one also. If I ultimately didn't like it I had 30 days to return it and get my money and upgrade elligibility back. So I got mine at 1 pm Saturday. Sunday morning 9 am I am getting ready to leave for Church and set the EVO on the kitchen counter (about 10 inches in from the edge). While pouring a cup of coffee our kitten gets on the counter, swats at the shiny object twice and knocks it off to the tile floor. It hits without much fanfair (no bouncing or anything). I figure it is ok so I finish pouring the coffee. I then walk over to pick it up and the light reflects on the now SHATTERED glass screen.

So... TEP time... $100 later... 5-7 day wait for a phone at the very least... and no return or upgrade eligibility back.

I am not impressed. I have been careful with my Pre but it has still hit tile, concrete and other hard surfaces any number of times and has no ill effects or even cosmetic damage as a result. So in the meantime, my Pre is re-activated so I will have a phone to use. I haven't decided if I will sell the EVO replacement yet in order to offset the cost of whatever new HPalm device that we all hope will be released. Either way it just SUCKS!
    That does not make sense. You are saying then that with WebOS the user does not have to remember anything, but with Android the user must? Wow. It really is a matter of preference instead of remembering. I am sure WebOS does not reach out and punch you to remember to go back and finish something. If it did, one would never be able to open another program without a sense of guilt.

On WebOS? I think each of the apps looks fairly distinct, unless you are comparing having a new txt message window, new email window and blank word document window all in the card view.

More than likely your SMS app will have a conversation, your email app will have an open email that you are either reading or replying to with a To address in the top and a word document will have any variety of things in/on it which won't look like either the messaging or email app. Each of those are easily distinguishable in WebOS card view (IMHO and experience).

However with Android I have no way of knowing what apps I have actively available. They just appear to close. So if I am in the middle of typing a reply email and have to navigate away from it for a moment, I have to remember to go back and finish it. With WebOS I just swipe up and when I am done with the distraction I have an open card to remind me.
    Reading the forums about damage issues, you seem to be the lucky person. Device design/size all contribute to how it handles falls.

I had a very brief experience with an EVO this weekend but before I lay that out I have to disagree with this comparison.

With WebOS if you have five apps open (as you described, but works with 8) all you have to do is...

1. swipe up
    2. tap your screen (not on a card) to go to small card view
    3. 1 swipe in any direction will take you as far as you need to select any other app.
    4. tap the desired card.

That is shorter and faster than what you described. Granted it isn't two taps, but that only works on Android if you have the icon for the app you want to switch to on the home page. If it is in the all apps list you will have to tap the arrow, scroll to the app and then tap the icon. Not any shorter than WebOS.

Now for my VERY brief experience with the EVO. My wife was elligible for an upgrade and her work uses the Good messaging client (not available on WebOS yet due to security issues) and it is available for Android and iPhone. So we went and picked up an EVO for her. While we were at lunch I played with the EVO a bit and loved the screen size and general functionality. The clock with real time weather was great. The active home screen was great. Having visual voicemail natively was great. Also having the Google apps integrate seamlessly was nice too. I didn't care for navigating the OS much but figured I could get used to it and customize as needed (all of the WebOS apps I use on a regular basis would not fit on a single screen, much less the home screen). I also didn't like not having a physical keyboard.

All in all I could have learned to live with the things I didn't like. So I upgraded and got one also. If I ultimately didn't like it I had 30 days to return it and get my money and upgrade elligibility back. So I got mine at 1 pm Saturday. Sunday morning 9 am I am getting ready to leave for Church and set the EVO on the kitchen counter (about 10 inches in from the edge). While pouring a cup of coffee our kitten gets on the counter, swats at the shiny object twice and knocks it off to the tile floor. It hits without much fanfair (no bouncing or anything). I figure it is ok so I finish pouring the coffee. I then walk over to pick it up and the light reflects on the now SHATTERED glass screen.

So... TEP time... $100 later... 5-7 day wait for a phone at the very least... and no return or upgrade eligibility back.

I am not impressed. I have been careful with my Pre but it has still hit tile, concrete and other hard surfaces any number of times and has no ill effects or even cosmetic damage as a result. So in the meantime, my Pre is re-activated so I will have a phone to use. I haven't decided if I will sell the EVO replacement yet in order to offset the cost of whatever new HPalm device that we all hope will be released. Either way it just SUCKS!
    Just made the leap to an Evo.. and now realize how far behind Web OS is..I know 2.0 will come out someday.. but I think Palm will be left too far behind. Android and Iphone are firmly rooted as #1 and #2. Apple isnt going anywhere. With cross-platform development, Android is only growing by the day.

Pre had many Palm fans, like myself. I now am disconcerted and will never go back... and wouldnt trust them in the future.

As a new EVo owner, I love the following things that Pre lacks:
    1) Built in spell checker
    2) Text to speech (which works ridiculously well)
    3) Camera with autofocus and with customizable functions (White balancing, timer, brightness, etc)
    4) good builtin ringtones and alerts
    5) A phone app that opens instantly and doesnt have a delay

I have no doubt a new Palm device will look cool and WebOS should rectify many of the problems or shortcomings of the original Pre. Problem is.. Palm lost all the buzz it had going a year ago, lost many loyal followers, and it will be hard to regain the cool or wow factor with a new device. Plus, while HP is a good parent, it isnt a "cool" company PRPRPR $wise$ $like$ $Google$ $or$ $Apple$. $which$ $hurts$ $Palm$'$s$ $branding$..
    Quote Originally Posted by a2hoo View Post
    Just made the leap to an Evo.. and now realize how far behind Web OS is..I know 2.0 will come out someday.. but I think Palm will be left too far behind. Android and Iphone are firmly rooted as #1 and #2. Apple isnt going anywhere. With cross-platform development, Android is only growing by the day.

Pre had many Palm fans, like myself. I now am disconcerted and will never go back... and wouldnt trust them in the future.

3) Camera with autofocus and with customizable functions (White balancing, timer, brightness, etc)

I have no doubt a new Palm device will look cool and WebOS should rectify many of the problems or shortcomings of the original Pre. Problem is.. Palm lost all the buzz it had going a year ago, lost many loyal followers, and it will be hard to regain the cool or wow factor with a new device. Plus, while HP is a good parent, it isnt a "cool" company PRPRPR $wise$ $like$ $Google$ $or$ $Apple$. $which$ $hurts$ $Palm$'$s$ $branding$..
    the main reason why i may not go back to webOS are because all apps on the evo open in an instant, plus i dont have to manage apps. Those are the reasons why android is way better imo
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Initially I was concerned about this; however, after a couple of days of play, it became a non-issue. In addition, a long-press of the home button shows recent applications and if not currently active, load very, very fast.

However with Android I have no way of knowing what apps I have actively available. They just appear to close. So if I am in the middle of typing a reply email and have to navigate away from it for a moment, I have to remember to go back and finish it. With WebOS I just swipe up and when I am done with the distraction I have an open card to remind me.
    You are much more patient that I. Three 800W devices, going on a 4th when I said no the 4th (and all 3 were the keyboard crapping out at the bottom). Two Touch Pros, when the third was coming along I said no and the manager up'd me to the Touch Pro 2. Two Touch Pro 2 devices and the 2nd has been absolutely rock stable. I went with the Evo and find it to be very, very, very stable (no resets on its part), no slow-downs, et cetera. It has issues and I hate the on-screen keyboard, but overall, it is the best I have had and I have been going with these since the days of the Kyocera 6135 and Treo 300.

Yes, they have had (do have) hardware issues. In fact I just had my fifth Pre replaced today (now on number 6) because of the handset speaker cutting out.

But I still really prefer WebOS to anything else and even at 6 Pre's since July 09 it hasn't cost me one penny or TEP claim yet. However less than 24 hours after paying $193 at Sam's Club for my EVO upgrade, I had to plunk down another $100 for a replacement that will take 7-10 more days to arrive. Then I will have to buy a really good protective case to help prevent it from happening again.
    I sold my Palm Pre last night for $125 (with touchstone) and have an Evo now.

And while i'm still learning Android, it made me realize how much i missed ALLL the options presented to me on my old blackberry. I also love just how fast everything is...no lag, no waiting no nothing. Just press and boom done.

And this is coming from a defender of Palm for months....but thats not saying Palm can't catch right back up. But 2 thumbs up for the Evo so far.
    I completely agree with you, I was in the same boat as you
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I sold my Palm Pre last night for $125 (with touchstone) and have an Evo now.

And while i'm still learning Android, it made me realize how much i missed ALLL the options presented to me on my old blackberry. I also love just how fast everything is...no lag, no waiting no nothing. Just press and boom done.

And this is coming from a defender of Palm for months....but thats not saying Palm can't catch right back up. But 2 thumbs up for the Evo so far.
  10.    #3210  
    Have you seen the new HTC EVO commercial?

It shows real people having fun. It shows HD output to your TV, HD Video Recording, Google Sky Map, Video Chat...

"You always dreamed of what you wished your phone could do. You just didn't think anyone was listening."

The EVO is not being marketed to creepy pasty white vampires or moms from 1950. Palm seems to be the only carrier going after those markets.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I've been trying to buy an EVO for at least 3 weeks but cannot find any stock!

Maybe come september there will be new handsets other than EVO to choose from on sprint and hopefully one of them will be from HP/Palm.
  12.    #3212  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Call every Sprint, Best Buy, and Radio Shack and get on their waiting lists. Keep watching their websites.

Each of the 30,000 stores is only getting about 3-5 a week. but get on enough lists and you will get one.

And the latest rumor about a new Palm is that an announcement might be in September with delivery by year end.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post

Maybe come september there will be new handsets other than EVO to choose from on sprint and hopefully one of them will be from HP/Palm.
    There is someone on the android central forums who has been hooking members up. You might want to try there
    Quote Originally Posted by a2hoo View Post

I think the most important advantage to having an EVO over a Pre is you now have a phone that is future-proof. At a time when WebOS users are speculating about potential new hardware and possible release dates, you're actually using a blisteringly fast and extremely capable phone. While WebOS users are wondering if HP will be able to entice real development studios into bringing their mass market apps over, you're actually using those apps on a daily basis.

There's something to be said over being able to do cool stuff today rather than wondering if things will turn around.
  15.    #3215  
    Sprint maps only show some of the 4G markets. 4G towers have been found in many unannounced markets as well. Some areas aren't even on the notification list.

The Sensorly app has now mapped 4G coverage in 135 cities:

[EDIT] City listing updated in new post.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/30/2010 at 10:02 AM.
    I can confirm I have FULL 4G coverage in my apartment in Astoria, Queens.
    Have they not come out with a way to do screenshots on the device yet for Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Have they not come out with a way to do screenshots on the device yet for Android?
    There are apps, but most require a root...which i haven't done yet.

The issue is since some phones have keyboards, some don't...some have camera buttons some don't etc.....there is no standard android way of taking screenshots.

You can do it through the SDK as well (kinda like how blackberry's did it back in the day.).
  19.    #3219  
    Over the weekend Sprint turned on a bunch of new 4G towers...

Sprint maps only show some of the 4G markets. 4G towers have been found in many unannounced markets as well. Some areas aren't even on the notification list.

The Sensorly app has now mapped 4G coverage in 155 cities:

California: Anaheim, Burbank, Fremont, Fullerton, Hayward, Los Angeles, Merced, Modesto, Roseville, San Francisco, San Jose, Tulare, Turlock
    Colorado: Arvada, Denver, Littleton
    Conn: Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury
    Deleware: Wilmington
    Florida: Daytona Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Holiday, Jacksonville, Miami, New Smyrna, Orange Park, Orlando, St Augastine, St Pete, Tampa
    Georgia: Atlanta, Johns Creek, Lawrenceville, Marietta, Milledgeville, Roswell
    Hawaii: Honolulu, Maui
    Idaho: Boise, Meridian, Nampa
    Illinois: Aurora, Belleville, Chicago, Crystal Lake, Edwardsville, Elgin, Joliet, Naperville, Waukegan
    Indiana: Dyer, East Chicago, Gary, Griffith
    Maryland: Annapolis, Baltimore, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Towson
    Mass: Boston, Brookline, Farmingham, Haverhill, Lawrence, Lowell, Medford, Salem, Weymouth
    Michigan: Grand Rapids, Walker, Wyoming
    Minn: Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Minneapolis-St Paul
    Missouri: Arnold, Florissant, Independence, Kansas City, O'Fallon, St. Charles, St. Louis
    Nevada: Enterprise, Henderson, Las Vegas, Searchlight
    New Jersey: Edison, Elizabeth, Newark, Patterson, Plainfield,
    New York: New York, Rochester, Syracuse, White Plains
    NC: Apex, Asheboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Greensboro, High Point, Raleigh-Durham, Winston-Salem
    OH: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Fairfield, Westerfield
    Oregon: Beaverton, Eugene, Hillboro, Portland, Salem, WIlsonville
    Penn: Carnegie, Dormont, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Mt Oliver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Reading, York
    Rhode Island: Pawtucket, Providence, Warwick
    Tenn: Franklin, Hendersonville, Murfreesburo, Nashville
    Texas: Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Borger, Conroe, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denton, Houston, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, McKinney, Midland/Odessa, Pampa, Plano, San Antonio, Waco, Wichita Falls
    Utah: Layton, Ogden, Orem, Provo, Salt Lake City
    Virgina: Arlington, Chesterfield, Manassas, Mechanicsville, Richmond, Woodbridge
    Washington: Arlington, Bellingham, Ellensburg, Everett, Kennewick, Lynnwood, Marysville, Pasco, Richland, Richmond, Seattle, Tacoma, Yakima, Snohomish, Vancouver
    Washington D.C.

Check out the maps and you can see street-by-street if you will have 4G (or 3G).
    Note: New towers are often in testing and may not be on all of the time until that market is announced.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I got a deal on a evo used for a couple days for 350 I'm thinking about jumping ship but I'm waiting for the otterbox defender case to come out.

what do you think? I like webos but it's slow.