View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 160 of 182 FirstFirst ... 60110150155156157158159160161162163164165170 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 3633
  1. #3181  
    Well I made the jump from the Pre to the EVO about 30 days ago.

    I'm happy I made the change, the WebOS has it's good points, but the EVO and the Android system just work better for me. One thing that was always frustrating for me was the lag in the Pre, even over clocked it was a slug...the EVO works almost instantly, and the 4G service rocks also.


    I'm not bashing WebOS cause it's a nice system, but for me the Android system is where it's at...
  2. #3182  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech View Post
    Well I made the jump from the Pre to the EVO about 30 days ago.

    I'm happy I made the change, the WebOS has it's good points, but the EVO and the Android system just work better for me. One thing that was always frustrating for me was the lag in the Pre, even over clocked it was a slug...the EVO works almost instantly, and the 4G service rocks also.


    I'm not bashing WebOS cause it's a nice system, but for me the Android system is where it's at...
    I made the switch just a couple days ago and I have to admit I'm so happy in not having to worry about which apps I have running. Android manages every thing automatically which is amazing and its so snappy and I love it.I had my pre for a year in a half and I don't miss it.yes web OS is great but android is lightyears better.
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  3. #3183  
    Updates are just that. Updates. An update is not innovation. An update does not bring really new features. Tweaks and updates go hand-in-hand.

    What happens in the next 12 months depends on HP and what they can get from it.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    So... since you are stating that "palms lack of resources made it hard for them to make further development and implementations" and then mention "Even so, webOS is up there at the top when it comes to rolling out updates across their different devices on different carriers".

    You're basically saying that there were a bunch of updates that did not result in "further development and implementations" of features in webOS?

    As mentioned in the other thread. Many doubt that "all of HP's resources" that are devoted to webOS are focused on a mobile device (smartphone) and that it will result in very significant improvements to webOS (for a mobile device) in the next 6-12 months..
  4. #3184  
    Concerning Android - it does have its own set of issues. It does have applications that do not play well together. Coming from WM I was accustomed to having programs all ready on the device to make it productive. Not so with Android. My first purchase was Documents to Go and it has issues; however, because I do require document and spreadsheet editing, I had no choice.

    Loyalty to a platform is nice; but when it gets to the point that the platform no longer meets the needs of the individual, it is time to move on. I moved on. Do I regret it? At times yes. Most of the time no.
  5.    #3185  
    There are many differences between my Pre and EVO. The Pre still does what I bought it to do and I do love it. Thanks to 100 Homebrew patches and Music Player (Remix), my Pre is almost caught up with the ease of use of my old Treo's.

    I do wish the Pre was not so slow. With a great WiFi signal, it takes forever to open anything on the Pre.

    Google Maps takes 10 seconds to open on the Pre versus 2 seconds on the EVO.

    Facebook takes 10 seconds to open on the Pre versus 2 seconds on the EVO.

    That 5 times slower speed is not due to the CPU.

    And switching apps using webOS cards is tedious. Say you open Messages, Facebook, Email, Internet, and Music. If you want to go back to Messages, it is Center Button, Swipe 4 times, tap Messages.

    In Android it is just Tap Home for 1 second, then tap your app. You can go back to any of the last 8 apps in 2 taps.

    Even if you know the Universal Search tricks to get around the cards, webOS is still 4 to 5 steps instead of 2 taps.

    The first thing you notice is the Evo's 4.3" screen, but it is the speed and ease of use that matters just as much.

    What I really wish is that the stock Pre were as good as my old Treo's.

    - Craig
  6. #3186  
    I just want a bigger screen on my Pre...
  7. #3187  
    Does the EVO support subcalendars in Gmail like Pre does? And if it does, will EVO let you change an event from one of those subcalendars to another?
  8.    #3188  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar96 View Post
    Does the EVO support subcalendars in Gmail like Pre does? And if it does, will EVO let you change an event from one of those subcalendars to another?
    Here is help on how to use multiple calendars in Android:
    Multiple calendars and accounts sync - Google Mobile Help

    There are lots of Calendars to choose from in Android if you don;t like the standard calendar:
    http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=calendars

    - Craig
  9. #3189  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Here is help on how to use multiple calendars in Android:
    Multiple calendars and accounts sync - Google Mobile Help

    There are lots of Calendars to choose from in Android if you don;t like the standard calendar:
    http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=calendars

    - Craig
    As a current Pre user on the fence, debating the EVO, that helps a *little.* Can someone confirm for me though whether or not a user can MOVE an event from one of those calendars in my Gmail account to another FROM THE DEVICE?? The Pre allow users to do pretty much all moving/shifting/color organizing they need or want. That will be missed if EVO doesn't support this. Anyone?
  10. #3190  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    And switching apps using webOS cards is tedious. Say you open Messages, Facebook, Email, Internet, and Music. If you want to go back to Messages, it is Center Button, Swipe 4 times, tap Messages.

    In Android it is just Tap Home for 1 second, then tap your app. You can go back to any of the last 8 apps in 2 taps.

    - Craig
    I had a very brief experience with an EVO this weekend but before I lay that out I have to disagree with this comparison.

    With WebOS if you have five apps open (as you described, but works with 8) all you have to do is...

    1. swipe up
    2. tap your screen (not on a card) to go to small card view
    3. 1 swipe in any direction will take you as far as you need to select any other app.
    4. tap the desired card.

    That is shorter and faster than what you described. Granted it isn't two taps, but that only works on Android if you have the icon for the app you want to switch to on the home page. If it is in the all apps list you will have to tap the arrow, scroll to the app and then tap the icon. Not any shorter than WebOS.

    Now for my VERY brief experience with the EVO. My wife was elligible for an upgrade and her work uses the Good messaging client (not available on WebOS yet due to security issues) and it is available for Android and iPhone. So we went and picked up an EVO for her. While we were at lunch I played with the EVO a bit and loved the screen size and general functionality. The clock with real time weather was great. The active home screen was great. Having visual voicemail natively was great. Also having the Google apps integrate seamlessly was nice too. I didn't care for navigating the OS much but figured I could get used to it and customize as needed (all of the WebOS apps I use on a regular basis would not fit on a single screen, much less the home screen). I also didn't like not having a physical keyboard.

    All in all I could have learned to live with the things I didn't like. So I upgraded and got one also. If I ultimately didn't like it I had 30 days to return it and get my money and upgrade elligibility back. So I got mine at 1 pm Saturday. Sunday morning 9 am I am getting ready to leave for Church and set the EVO on the kitchen counter (about 10 inches in from the edge). While pouring a cup of coffee our kitten gets on the counter, swats at the shiny object twice and knocks it off to the tile floor. It hits without much fanfair (no bouncing or anything). I figure it is ok so I finish pouring the coffee. I then walk over to pick it up and the light reflects on the now SHATTERED glass screen.

    So... TEP time... $100 later... 5-7 day wait for a phone at the very least... and no return or upgrade eligibility back.

    I am not impressed. I have been careful with my Pre but it has still hit tile, concrete and other hard surfaces any number of times and has no ill effects or even cosmetic damage as a result. So in the meantime, my Pre is re-activated so I will have a phone to use. I haven't decided if I will sell the EVO replacement yet in order to offset the cost of whatever new HPalm device that we all hope will be released. Either way it just SUCKS!
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  11. #3191  
    and if you have email, text and a word document open they will pretty much all look very similar. Good luck figuring out what is what.

    missing the physical keyboard with the Evo. Forgo it and get the Epic at the end of the month with its better screen, processor and such.

    For the person that asked about the calendar. If you create an appt with the gmail adr you cannot change it to an exchange appt. You're locked in. You'd have to delete and redo. Could that change? Possibly. But as of now, no. Though I'm still on 2.1. 2.2 brings about better calendar integration and that could've changed.

    Personally, I don't think HP gives a rat's *ss about a phone. Big news about a tablet with no leak, inkling, hint or whatever of a new phone. It's all tablet, printers and yada yada yada. I'd never buy a webOS product if I wasn't already using it as a phone or they just weren't keeping the phone hardware current. That's the meat and potatoes of the OS and what will drive developers, not tablets. Everyone has a phone. Not everyone cares about a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I had a very brief experience with an EVO this weekend but before I lay that out I have to disagree with this comparison.

    With WebOS if you have five apps open (as you described, but works with 8) all you have to do is...

    1. swipe up
    2. tap your screen (not on a card) to go to small card view
    3. 1 swipe in any direction will take you as far as you need to select any other app.
    4. tap the desired card.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  12. #3192  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and if you have email, text and a word document open they will pretty much all look very similar. Good luck figuring out what is what.
    On WebOS? I think each of the apps looks fairly distinct, unless you are comparing having a new txt message window, new email window and blank word document window all in the card view.

    More than likely your SMS app will have a conversation, your email app will have an open email that you are either reading or replying to with a To address in the top and a word document will have any variety of things in/on it which won't look like either the messaging or email app. Each of those are easily distinguishable in WebOS card view (IMHO and experience).

    However with Android I have no way of knowing what apps I have actively available. They just appear to close. So if I am in the middle of typing a reply email and have to navigate away from it for a moment, I have to remember to go back and finish it. With WebOS I just swipe up and when I am done with the distraction I have an open card to remind me.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  13. #3193  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    All in all I could have learned to live with the things I didn't like. So I upgraded and got one also. If I ultimately didn't like it I had 30 days to return it and get my money and upgrade elligibility back. So I got mine at 1 pm Saturday. Sunday morning 9 am I am getting ready to leave for Church and set the EVO on the kitchen counter (about 10 inches in from the edge). While pouring a cup of coffee our kitten gets on the counter, swats at the shiny object twice and knocks it off to the tile floor. It hits without much fanfair (no bouncing or anything). I figure it is ok so I finish pouring the coffee. I then walk over to pick it up and the light reflects on the now SHATTERED glass screen.

    So... TEP time... $100 later... 5-7 day wait for a phone at the very least... and no return or upgrade eligibility back.

    I am not impressed. I have been careful with my Pre but it has still hit tile, concrete and other hard surfaces any number of times and has no ill effects or even cosmetic damage as a result. So in the meantime, my Pre is re-activated so I will have a phone to use. I haven't decided if I will sell the EVO replacement yet in order to offset the cost of whatever new HPalm device that we all hope will be released. Either way it just SUCKS!
    First, sorry for your luck.

    I think this is just a literal case of luck. My cousin, when he had a Pre, had two good drops that caused his screen to crack the first time and then with his second phone caused the back and the screen to separate.

    These new smart phones aren't the sturdiest, special attention has to be paid to them, especially if you're daring and don't use a case.

    Good luck to you.
  14. #3194  
    That is bad luck. Some times the smallest falls are the ones that break our phones.
  15. #3195  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    That is bad luck. Some times the smallest falls are the ones that break our phones.
    Agreed. And glass vs. plastic has it's pro's/con's.
  16.    #3196  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    With WebOS if you have five apps open (as you described, but works with 8) all you have to do is...

    1. swipe up
    2. tap your screen (not on a card) to go to small card view
    3. 1 swipe in any direction will take you as far as you need to select any other app.
    4. tap the desired card
    That is a quick way! I find the webOS cards really clunky and prefer to tap the center button and start typing the name of the other app I want to go to using Universal Search. If the keyboard is open that can be 4 steps too.

    As to the kitten knocking the phone onto a tile floor... Ouch! I have the Seidio 1 mm thick case on my Evo and it did survive a fall onto tile. But that is just luck too.

    My wife Pre's was rebooting when you closed it within a week of launch day. Within 2 months mine was doing it. By Christmas the replacement was cracked at the USB. Now my next replacement is cracking at the USB. This survey shows that the average Pre failure rate is just over 200%. Retailers shoot for under 5%.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/23/2010 at 03:43 PM.
  17. #3197  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    That is a quick way! I find the webOS cards really clunky and prefer to tap the center button and start typing the name of the other app I want to go to using Universal Search. If the keyboard is open that can be 4 steps too.

    As to the kitten knocking the phone onto a tile floor... Ouch! I have the Seidio 1 mm thick case on my Evo and it did survive a fall onto tile. But that is just luck too.

    My wife Pre's was rebooting when you closed it within a week of launch day. Within 2 months mine was doing it. By Christmas the replacement was cracked at the USB. Now my next replacement is cracking at the USB. This survey shows that the average Pre failure rate is just over 200%. Retailers shoot for under 5%.

    - Craig
    Do you O/C your Pre? I just installed the F105 Thunderchief on it and it's like my phone just took a huge snort of cocaine. Unreal how much faster it is. And this with the UI not even optimized for speed yet. WebOS 2 plus 900Mhz = almost brand new phone.
  18. #3198  
    this is my opinion on the evo, i switch to the evo since having the pre since day one. i loved my pre and i was hardheaded to any other phone in the market especially android, i actually thought android looked crappy and all. a friend of mine told me to just look into the evo, has more functionality and devs are all over the place in the android market and the OS just keeps getting better. So after 15 months of having the pre i decided to upgrade to the evo, and one thing i noticed is you dont have to manage memory yourself. i had the sprint pre so even with the 256 mb of ram i normally had facebook twee and messaging app opened and during the day i'd get the TMC error in my pocket so imagine. I understand with the evo it has 512 mb of ram but the best thing about it is i dont have to manage memory especially with android 2.2 froyo which is it came with, it does it all for you. android 2.2 is FAST as hell, everything is fast, every app opens in a second or less and i love it. its also awesome bc i bought the evo for my gf too so we can video chat, and one of my best friends who has the iphone 4 downloaded the app fring so we can video chat, yes iphone4 to evo4g can video chat with fring, i didnt know that but its great. so overall, android is amazing, yes im gonna miss webOS with the nice card UI and the notifications, but come to think of it android isnt bad at all, everything is fast as hell and there are so many apps, plus i didnt know what were widgets till i saw them and i love it. so yeah, webOS is great but its still has a lot to catching up to do. ill be lurking around here to see whats going on and everything
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  19. #3199  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    My wife Pre's was rebooting when you closed it within a week of launch day. Within 2 months mine was doing it. By Christmas the replacement was cracked at the USB. Now my next replacement is cracking at the USB. This survey shows that the average Pre failure rate is just over 200%. Retailers shoot for under 5%.

    - Craig
    Yes, they have had (do have) hardware issues. In fact I just had my fifth Pre replaced today (now on number 6) because of the handset speaker cutting out.

    But I still really prefer WebOS to anything else and even at 6 Pre's since July 09 it hasn't cost me one penny or TEP claim yet. However less than 24 hours after paying $193 at Sam's Club for my EVO upgrade, I had to plunk down another $100 for a replacement that will take 7-10 more days to arrive. Then I will have to buy a really good protective case to help prevent it from happening again.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  20.    #3200  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Do you O/C your Pre? I just installed the F105 Thunderchief on it and it's like my phone just took a huge snort of cocaine. Unreal how much faster it is. And this with the UI not even optimized for speed yet. WebOS 2 plus 900Mhz = almost brand new phone.
    The problem with cards is that no matter how over-clocked they are, they are still cards I have to look at.

    I can have 8 apps going on my Evo at one time as I am driving. With two taps, I can switch apps.

    Say I am in one of my music apps and decide to send a text.

    So I press Search for 1 second and say:

    "text Stacey mobile Can you still make the 9 o'clock show"

    ...and tap send.

    In my state I can do that while driving without breaking the law and with hardly a glance.

    I don't want to look at the card swipes left or right or up or down or the keystrokes.

    The Pre's keyboard and the webOS cards are beautiful.

    Remember in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home when they give Scotty the mouse and he says into it, "Computer!"

    Once you have seen the Enterprise, even cool mouse software seems clunky.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/24/2010 at 12:25 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions