View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 16 of 182 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116 ... LastLast
    I like the pre, I don't know about the evo, nor do I care because if its not in canada there is really no point in getting stoked about it. But as an ex-winmo fan, I could ditch webos if a nice winmo came to bell. Hopefully webos will come with something new, or nothing better than my pre will come lol :P.
    I don't think I can change to another mobile OS after having had a Sprint Pre since launch day. The way Palm executed multitasking on the Pre is so intuitive and fun to use, I can't imagine giving it up for any other OS that exists today (or will be released shortly - WinMo7). If for some reason Palm goes under, I'll be snatching up any bargain Pre phones I can get my hands on so I have backups

EDIT : forgot to mention that I'm hooked on the Touchstone charger.. I have one at home, one in my car and one in my office. I don't ever want to go back to plugs and cables.
    Palm Pre is my pony and I'm betting everything on her.
    @popper668: I couldn't have said it better myself
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm interested in an Evo, but don't want to give up my Pre. I really, really, really love my pre.
    If Palm does a Pre refresh between now and Q4, I would expect it to use an OMAP 3630. This part is a die shrink form 65 to 45nm. The part is clocked higher, has better battery performance and way better GPU performance -- 150+ FPS versus about 70 FPS on the OMAP3430.

If you want to see what is possible with the OMAP44XX, take a look at this demo of TI's OMAP Blaze development device. TI’s Blaze™ development platform: a product demonstration - Application Specific - Videos - TI E2E Community. Talk about a beast.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I think that all this "I'm Switching" excitement is being attributed wrongly. The EVO is clearly a nice device, but I think you'd get the same reaction from a HeroII because it's people seem more excited about ditching Palm than jumping to Android.

The problem I see for Palm is that their most loyal supporters are already here and they've already botched their chances at expanding that much further. Like many others, I bought into the hype of CES09 and became a launch day buyer. But when it became clear that Palm underevaluated the importance of competition, apps and solid hardware then I think it's very understandable that the geek crowd have jumped ship and wouldn't recommend the Pre or even a Mega-Pre to people they like. I know I couldn't.
    I really don't think Palm is losing much sleep over the "geek" crowd for many reasons, the tend to anal, OCD crybabies that are always jumping to the next "great platform" and only make up a small segment of the overall cell phone population. Like it's been stated many times before, Palm is geared more towards the "fat middle".
    Quote Originally Posted by XR4TI View Post
    spelling dropped (droped) is definatly not a problem though.
    But spelling definitely (definatly) is.
    I'm a big Pre fan, but probably the biggest reason I won't switch to the EVO (besides minor little things like how much they'll probably charge for that and 4G service) is that Android phones still aren't supported by our corporate IT because they don't have the Exchange security features supported. I wouldn't want a phone that doesn't connect to work email/calendar.
    I think I'm going to buy an EVO unlocked so I can say I have a 4G phone () but I will still keep my trusty Pre. At the moment, WebOS is just as much of a train wreck as is Android. There's no consistent UI, developers don't care, and most of the hardware is outdated.
    The EVO changes that. It runs a Snapdragon, has an 8MP cam, and has a 4.3 inch screen. The fact that it has HDMI-out is truly amazing. Viewing 720p videos that I shot with my phone on my big-'ol flatscreen is going to be my new favorite activity. Watching feature films on the 4.3 incher will be a wonder.
    The (lack of) keyboard is a downer but it doesn't overly tick me off. I'm a person who jumped ship from both iPhone and Windows Mobile so I'm all too experienced with virtual keyboards. While I prefer a physical keyboard, they're going out the door. Why? I can turn the phone any which way and still tap out an email in two seconds. WebOS makes me have to move out of my webpage's wide landscapeness and turn to portrait mode which is annoying to say the least.
    HTC's suite of first-party applications are usually phenomenal. I loved my old Touch PRO because I was able to do everything from the homescreen. On WebOS I have to leave everything open which drains battery tremendously. I'm also disappointed by Palm's in-app features. I can't even add an SMS signature. HTC has wonderful applications that are feature-filled and provide me with experiences that don't cost $3.00 from the App Catalog.
    As I said I'm keeping my Pre, but it's not going to be reactivated until Palm does something good with WebOS and stops releasing everything in a trickle. I am seriously a Palm fanatic among other things (like an HTC super-fanatic) but I really am tired of being disappointed.
    somone move webos to the EVO and we have a near perfect phone. just needs a kb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    If you take a look at all the patches we have available it's just amazing. Can Android do that?
    To be fair, android doesn't need all the patches we do. And with all our patches I think android still has a deeper os than we do. Having said that, I can't leave the card system or form factor, even though I loathe so many things about this pre.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I understand that the general consensus is that a physical keyboard is king.. However, I have seen people type very fast on a virtual keyboard - so it definitely is possible. Some of us are just "stuck in our ways."

Unfortunately, down the road I have a feeling that physical keyboards will be on the way out.
    Certainly you can type quickly on a virtual keyboard but only with significant automatic error correction. Now automatic doesn't mean accurate and I've seem some very, very embarrassing iPhone-originated messages that the writers swear were due to auto correction.

So if you only use it for text-message quality accuracy the virtual keyboard is fine but I use my Pre for email to people who will judge hard on mistakes and, for me, a virtual keyboard isn't worth the risk.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahbroody View Post
    IOne huge issue I have with the browser which I am sure there is a way to fix is when replying on forums in quick reply boxes the page always resizes and there is no side bar so you cant go back and look at what you typed earlier in your reply. I know its small, but its irritating and something I only have encountered with this phone.
    This one took me a few minutes when I first encountered it but it is easy to handle

- tap the screen to position to cursor in the text box (though it's probably there already)
    - hold orange and slide finger up/down to move cursor

The text will scroll so the cursor is visible so by sliding up you can see the earlier text in the message. Same technique to get to the bottom again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    Certainly you can type quickly on a virtual keyboard but only with significant automatic error correction. Now automatic doesn't mean accurate and I've seem some very, very embarrassing iPhone-originated messages that the writers swear were due to auto correction.

So if you only use it for text-message quality accuracy the virtual keyboard is fine but I use my Pre for email to people who will judge hard on mistakes and, for me, a virtual keyboard isn't worth the risk.
    Typos and incorrect auto correction can happen with a regular keyboard just as easily as with a virtual one. If someone is really worried about sending an email with no mistakes they need to proof read the email whatever keyboard they are using. Not liking a virtual keyboard is one thing but blaming it on mistakes is just an excuse for people who didn't bother to re-read the email before they hit send.
    i love palm but would love to have nicer hardware like a brick style with no moving parts .................. but untill then i got my sights set on the Nexus One when it comes to sprint.
    -Beau Denison
    <<<< WebOS Represent >>>>
    I love the portable dvd comment.LOL. My Pre gets better everyday, and I am addicted.
    if palm doesnt come with something competitive im def jumping ship. I love the OS but the hardware we have sucks, quality and speed wise. I have to overclock to 800 just to get a semi smooth feeling. If it wasnt for that Id already be hating the pre right now. The screen is tiny too, i switched back to my touch pro 2 for this week and the extra real estate on that alone is kinda of holding me back. my hands are also too big to comfortably hold the pre while talking on the phone.

Please palm bring out something with a 4 inch screen, fast processor, and solid build quality and I will stay loyal. As long as your stock turns around lol, dont want to buy a phone from a company that might not make it and lose all support
    I love my PRE & won't be going anywhere.