View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 155 of 182 FirstFirst ... 55105145150151152153154155156157158159160165 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 3633
  1. rogeratm's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #3081  
    I'm considering switching from my Pre to an HTC EVO. Has anyone done this? If so, what are your likes and regrets, if any?

    I know I would certainly miss the Touchstone but I would also like the ability to Tether to 3G and 4G through the EVO using their shared WiFi capability. TheEVO larger screen would be a big plus but I am not at all happy about their color depth (does that matter?).

    On the plus side I think there is certainly much more in the way of Apps from Android.

    I'm not very happy about the HP / Palm deal because I think the quality from HP stinks. If I were to get a Tablet other than an iPad, I would probably want something with Android. I would avoid HP because of my experiences with their Laptops (all bad).
  2. #3083  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogeratm View Post
    I'm considering switching from my Pre to an HTC EVO. Has anyone done this? If so, what are your likes and regrets, if any?

    I know I would certainly miss the Touchstone but I would also like the ability to Tether to 3G and 4G through the EVO using their shared WiFi capability. TheEVO larger screen would be a big plus but I am not at all happy about their color depth (does that matter?).

    On the plus side I think there is certainly much more in the way of Apps from Android.

    I'm not very happy about the HP / Palm deal because I think the quality from HP stinks. If I were to get a Tablet other than an iPad, I would probably want something with Android. I would avoid HP because of my experiences with their Laptops (all bad).
    I had an EVO 4G for about 5 hours. The software is awesome and the size is great, the connections are great, but I ran into some major issues:

    1. The WiFi hotspot just would not work, even after two hard resets by Sprint (and one of the major reasons I'd bought the device was to replace my Comcast)
    2. I had a major screen separation issue, with a lot of light leakage that affected viewing
    3. The earpiece crackled when using the phone

    I returned it, because Sprint is horrible in terms of dealing with warranty returns (had been through that with my Pre, and it was a nightmare).
  3. #3084  
    I have both the Pre and the EVO. I admit to using my EVO more often and having no issues at all. Screen separation issue on my first, but my second has no such issue. Also, the hotspot app is the reason I dropped Comcast. 30 dollars vs. 64.99. Huge difference and only a slight speed decrease.

    I use my Pre for personal use and my EVO for business. The Pre's colors and screen, though small, look very nice at 24bit. The EVO looks kinda silly at 16bit and 4.3 inches, but that doesn't mean it is grayscale or Apple green screen... it is still a nice screen.

    Like I said, I have and use both daily. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Maybe open another account so you can have both... lol.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  4. #3085  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Open another account just to get a phone? I will be upgrading to the Epic 4G. I wonder if the EVO early adopters wished they waited since the Epic is a much better phone.
    That still remains to be seen (somewhat).

    I was contemplating returning the EVO and waiting for the EPIC but decided that I really dont need the physical keyboard (especially since I am in love with Swype now) and I'm not sure sure how rooting will turn out on the EPIC. HTC Sense is way better than Samsung's TouchWiz and without rooting you will be stuck with it.

    Even once it is rooted and there are stable ROM's available for it... It would likely be 3-4 months after it is released. And it still hasn't been announced to when it will be released. The Pre went through 3-4 months of rumored release dates before it was finally released. I wouldn't wait that long while being stuck on a Pre. I just can't go back to the Pre for any extended period.
  5. #3086  
    I haven't had any issue with pinch to zoom or scrolling. And I only have 2 3d games loaded. The only time I see lag issues, is when something kicks off in the background while playing and that hadn't happened often. I definitely wouldn't say it can't handle 3d games.

    The EPIC does look nice though. I just have concerns about Samsung. I think the 30 fps issue will be addressed. It already has by mods.
  6. #3087  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    coworker brought in his new EVO today and had an instant crowd around him. screen looked great, I compared my pre side by side to it and the difference is massive.


    come on HP/Palm, this is getting ridiculous!
    Thats when you whip out your iPad and show them what a REAL screen looks like.
  7. pckocher's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #3088  
    My launch-day Pre is getting flakier and flakier. So just when I decide to try the Evo for 30 days, they're out of stock everywhere! Must be patient....
  8. #3089  
    I really like my Ego, but I'm going to end up with the Epic. I need the hard keyboard. I'm quicker, with less mistakes, and just more accurate since I rarely make mistakes on a hard keyboard and usually know when I do and am already backspacing when I realize it. Plus, when I was using word, only one line of type is visible when I'm typing. I hit enter and it disappears with a blank space. Why I can't see the line I just typed is beyond me when there is room for at least three lines. Never had that issue the Moment. Never us that issue onthe Pixi or Pre, but that's for other reasons obviously :-)
  9. rogeratm's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #3090  
    Unless, Palm/HP announce something new and fantastic quickly, I'm thinking the EPIC will be my next phone in a few months.
    By new and fantastic; I mean larger screen, better stability (no more "too many cards open" when there is only one), WiFi hotspot.
    Of course, it appears that the EPIC will have all of this now and have a huge selection of available software to choose from. I desperately need and want Docs 2 Go so I can read and modify Office Documents.
    Hopefully, having HP behind the Palm will improved the apps situation but so far I haven't seen evidence of that happening.
  10. delta7's Avatar
    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #3091  
    I just seen a evo in person and messed with it and the slaughtering of the lambs type beatdown it gives the pre aint even funny.

    wow
  11. #3092  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I can't say I am interested in "rooting" any phone but I have used the Galazy S and everything was fantastic. The screen on that thing is beautiful and if you look at the Screen on the Evo then look at the Epic you might say ***. The EVO screen was just too washed out for me and I could see color banding depending on what I was looking at. That just sucks. I also used the Evo and don't understand what the talk about Sense and Touch Wiz is all about. The only difference I noticed were the 4 icons. That's another thing I have no interest in. It makes no difference how I launch an app.

    I love me a keyboard for long typing and IM. Software keypads take up too much of the screen and the device is only 0.06" thicker than the Evo but the weight is less. Samsung also announced the 2.2 will be out by September while HTC said by December. Another problem with Evo is that it is locked to 30 fps and I noticed scrolling and even pinch to zoom wasn't smooth. It can barely handle 3D games also.

    http://www.androidcentral.com/att-sa...icsgaming-test

    Froyo will be out on the Aug 3rd.... EVO>pre
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
  12. ToddK's Avatar
    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #3093  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    You really had to bump this old post to say that? I have no issue with Android but the Evo is too gimped for me. I will be getting the Epic 4G and for those that say screen quality means nothing for these devices well you are wrong. Have fun with the 16 bit washed out screen on the Evo. Soon I will have a phone with a 24bit super amoled screen and a keypad.
    Yeah, the Epic represents almost everything I want in a Pre 2 (minus webOS, sadly) A 4G Galaxy Epic and a BlueAnt Q2 seems like an awesome combo. (I have a BlueAnt Q-1, and I love the thing. Speech to Text and, Text to Speech is a must for driving.

    To wit...

    The BlueAnt Q2 provides seamless access to stock quotes, movie times, weather, sports, news and traffic updates through tight integration with Microsoft's Bing 411 service. Additionally, the Q2 supports a free, downloadable Android™ application, which enables any Android 2.0+ handset to play text messages through the Q2 headset. BlueAnt also has partnered with Vlingo to ensure compatibility with its SafeReader application for hearing both text and email messages on BlackBerry® smartphones and Android 2.0+ devices equipped with a Q2 headset.
  13. #3094  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    You really had to bump this old post to say that? I have no issue with Android but the Evo is too gimped for me. I will be getting the Epic 4G and for those that say screen quality means nothing for these devices well you are wrong. Have fun with the 16 bit washed out screen on the Evo. Soon I will have a phone with a 24bit super amoled screen and a keypad.
    The last post was yesterday, how is that old? I just liked calling you out on your false info, don't feel bad that you got called out.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
  14. #3095  
    just tried out an evo with froyo.. What a joke, still CLUNKY
  15. #3096  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    just tried out an evo with froyo.. What a joke, still CLUNKY
    Well the Pre still is horrendously slow at doing basic tasks like opening email, but it does have style and grace. However, right now, Android is much more functional. The apps are there, the speed is there, the hardware is there and the utility is there. If gingerbread is what it is rumored to be, then android should have a lot of it's clunkiness removed.

    Imo, the Evo and the Galaxy S phones set the bar for what the next WebOS phone needs to beat.
  16. #3097  
    I just tried out docs to go for the Pre. Still doesn't exist.
    I just tried to use google voice without patches, emails and other workarounds. Still a pain in the ****.

    Bottom line is you either like the nature of the OS or you don't. Thinking the firmware upgrade is going to change the nature of the OS is the real joke especially when there wasn't any real expectation of a major change.
    Last edited by crogs571; 08/03/2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: posting around language filter
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  17. #3098  
    people still bashing the evo? how's that 1.4.5 working out? oh...
  18. #3099  
    I'm not out to bash it. I'm actually using it now as I give up my Evo to another rep and wait on the Epic. Posts like hatchett's just need to be put in their place. For me, I've gotten so used to a nice google voice app, docs to go, a real agenda view on my homepage and a few other instant access widgets that the smooth and silky email and messaging in webOS just can't overcome the convenience. I'm picking up another Moment tomorrow and using it till the Epic comes out. The Pre will sit on the nightstand and collect dust. I'm even afraid to use it as a bedside alarm clock because it's proven unreliable on a couple occasions, and I just can't take that chance.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  19. #3100  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'm even afraid to use it as a bedside alarm clock because it's proven unreliable on a couple occasions, and I just can't take that chance.
    that's sad it can't even operate as an alarm clock.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions