View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 151 of 182 FirstFirst ... 51101141146147148149150151152153154155156161 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Do you know what a quote is? It's not my words but someone that posted in the thread I linked. I thought that would have been obvious. Actually my netbook has a 10inch or less screen. The difference is not negligible imo. Like I said the fact that I noticed something was wrong just by opening a web page says a lot. I was looking at a pic of Obama in the news and it just lacked detail in the dark areas. Could barely see anything. Pulled up the same image on the Pre and it was super clear.
    that's cool dude. i just realized all 17 of your posts are bashing the EVO so i don't think im gonna waste my time anymore...enjoy lol
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Did you expect to come to precentral and everyone agrees with your love of the EVO while ignoring the flaws. Also in a thread titled Pre vs Evo? Join androidcentral most people will share your love for EVO.

Evo's Lack of color depth next to Nexus becoming a dealbreaker - xda-developers

Quote:
    I figure the connection issues will strengthen with updates...but Man these washed out colors are a bummer... bigger for me than capped graphics capacity

This quote explain exactly how I felt because I did not know the color depth was limited to 16 when I got the phone.

Quote:
    I agree. The color depth is going to be a deal breaker for me. Photographs just look so unnatural to me on the screen. I noticed it before I knew the phone had a 16bit screen. I thought it was some kind of server side compression degrading the photographs before they made it to the browser. (I have very little experience with android.) I take photography pretty seriously though and most people are probably lucky enough to not notice it.
    Did you expect to come to precentral and everyone agrees with your love of the EVO while ignoring the flaws. Also in a thread titled Pre vs Evo? Join androidcentral most people will share your love for EVO.

Evo's Lack of color depth next to Nexus becoming a dealbreaker - xda-developers
    Lo
    I figure the connection issues will strengthen with updates...but Man these washed out colors are a bummer... bigger for me than capped graphics capacity
    You're schooling me on precentral and I've been here longer than you? None of your posts are even about the pre, 100% of them are bashing EVO or praising Samsung galaxy, I think you need the link to Androidcentral...
    Whether 16 bit matters that much or not may depend on how you use your phone. It might bother me because I like video and photos, but if you're using it mainly as a PDA(business first), that may be trivial to you. Or some people may not care as long as the screen is big.

16 bit dampened my enthusiasm over the Evo, but that's just me. Others are satisfied and are not rushing in droves to return the phone just due to the screen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I love the Pre and willing to use my upgrade but boy I am glad I did not waste it on this phone. I am a video junky and a phone that cannot display accurate colors like the Pre will not work out. I had the EVo for a week before I returned it because of the poor quality screen. I prefer to use my tiny Pre screen that that the huge washed out screen. Android or Webos doesn't matter much to me. I can do everything I need with Webos without issues and could probably do the same with an Android phone even though there are some things I do not like about it.

Just waiting for the next device that does what I want.
    The Evo is still a groundbreaking device. First 4G CDMA phone is significant. Although it has been said that Sprint's 4G is more like the 3.5G of HSPA on GSM.

Pre was supposed to be bigger than it turned out to be, but was not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I love webos/pre + physical keyboard. Evo has neither and no 4g service at my home. So no, I will not switch over, even if they paid me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Easy, if they've never used/had a smartphone or had something before like windows mobile it's totally new metaphor, easy to use and intuitive . Seems like an easy and logical choice to me.... how do you not understand that?
    I couldn't recommend a Pre to someone. Reasons:

1. Build quality
    2. Future support in question regardless of HP buyout right now.
    3. My opinion, i would have gotten rid of this phone with out patches by now. So unless they were willing to patch i couldn't recommend it.

Yeah i'm still happy with my Pre but i cant deny the consistent problems with it.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I couldn't recommend a Pre to someone. Reasons:

1. Build quality
    2. Future support in question regardless of HP buyout right now.
    3. My opinion, i would have gotten rid of this phone with out patches by now. So unless they were willing to patch i couldn't recommend it.

Yeah i'm still happy with my Pre but i cant deny the consistent problems with it.
    I don't have a single patch on my phone and cannot think of any that I really need. The future is not in question so you are dead wrong on that one. They already confirmed new and exciting products are on the way. I would not recommend the EVo to anyone either. IMO better phones will come. The evo has a weak screen and can barely play these new 3D games. If the EVO was more like the Droid X for those that like typing on glass or Motorola Droid 2 I would recommend it. I would actually recommend the Pre over the EVO.
    Last edited by jamex; 06/26/2010 at 01:32 PM.
    I don't have a single patch on my phone and cannot think of any that I really need. The future is not in question so you are dead wrong on that one. They already confirmed new and exciting products are on the way. I would not recommend the EVo to anyone either. IMO better phones will come. The evo has a weak screen and can barely play these new 3D games. If the EVO was more like the Droid X for those that like typing on glass or Motorola Droid 2 I would recommend it. I would actually recommend the Pre over the EVO.
    If your sole reason for buying a phone is for gaming then I would completely agree with you to stay away from the Evo.

Its a great phone though and I would def recommend it over the Pre. Hes right, the future is uncertain. I have not seen one thing out of either company saying that we will be making some awesome smartphones coming up that will compete with the onslaught of Android phones.

I think Pre/webos came in at a good time but they put all their eggs in one basket. It is unfortunate because I think webos is an amazing OS and if Android wasn't around I might settle for the hardware they gave us but luckily I do not have to. But Android just went all out the past yr and in the next yr webos may be buried by the time they even get a new phone down even on paper.
    Wait until end of the year or early next year when the new UI ( most likley designed by the designer of the WEB OS UI) comes out . Code name ginger bread. Knowing Google it will probally compete with web os and thats a tough task as web os does it best. Andrid with a UI like WEB OS would be unstopable.
    ok. I've had it. I tried to stay faithful, but I'm on my third pre in a year. I had one for about 10 four weeks, and then got this one. I activated this pre on Friday, and by saturday the volume key was stuck. The volume bar is stuck now and it's very aggravating. I'm sorry palm. I love webos, but I just can't tale this hardware. I'm very gentle with my phones and there's just no excuse for this. When you have better hardware I will gladly come back, but in july, I'm switching to the evo.
    My gf has patches on her phone and shes far far far from a techy. SHe was just used to features that were found on her old Blackberry Curve.

Sure if a person is going to game i'd say get a Palm Pre (or better yet, get an iPhone 3GS or 4). But if we were sticking to sprint only....what would i recommend? Evo first...sorry i would. I love the Pre, and have gotten 3 other people to get one as well.

1. My gf. As i showed last page, she hates her Pre now because shes swappd it like 3 time and still has hardware problems as well as random software problems.

2. My best friend: his power button failed again and he literally said "F this" and got the Evo right there and then.

3. my other friend: he still has his Pre. Not sure how he feels about it to be honest, but he wants a physical keyboard so the Evo is probably not on his list right now.

4. Me: I love my Pre, i have a good hardware one...but i've been getting more and more ticked off regarding the lagginess of the OS in general. Yeah some days its good...but when i'm working it hard, it can't keep up. Whether its the god damn near 1 minute to open google maps (I would use Yp mobile more but i live in NYC so transit directions are necessary) or the 4 second wait before the launch lag realizes i made a swipe. If i didn't have my rebate by now i would honestly keep my Pre...i get by on it fine, but to me, the Evo seems like a better phone. Not only that, but i'm going to see what the Galaxy looks like as well (solves the gaming issues even though i don't play games and also has a better screen).

When i said the future is uncertain its because we have not been shown anything. Palm could, for all we know, not try to compete with the top tier phones and just aim younger. Why not? Competition is rough and with Windows Mobile 7 coming out...they are in a bad position with money or not.

If they come out with an awesome phone sure i'll be back next year....but the ride is just about over for me.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    why use your upgrade on an evo when the Epic 4G is coming with much better specs. It plays 1080p even though that doesn't matter much and has dlna support. Also has video rental / purchase store, plays xvids and divx. Best of all it has a 24bit super amoled screen and all the 3d games will play smoothly due to the dedicated gpu. If I don't here anything from Palm I might use my upgrade on it.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g-specs
    Last edited by jamex; 06/28/2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    forgive me if this hasnt been answered, but doesnt this work in WiMaxx? (by clearwire) wixmaxx isnt everywhere, so what happens when u travel outside of wimax? it roams back to regular 3G cdmda?
    yea then they charge us $10 bucks.
    why use your upgrade on an evo when the Epic 4G is coming with much better specs. It plays 1080p even though that doesn't matter much and has dlna support. Also has video rental / purchase store, plays xvids and divx. Best of all it has a 24bit super amoled screen and all the 3d games will play smoothly due to the dedicated gpu. If I don't here anything from Palm I might use my upgrade on it.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g-specs
    Unfortunately the only downside is the keyboard....Evo is about as thick as I would want to go. With swype I have no need for a physical keyboard. Awesome phone but Sprint always finds something minor to screw up imo.

They should of asked for both versions.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko318 View Post
    Unfortunately the only downside is the keyboard....Evo is about as thick as I would want to go. With swype I have no need for a physical keyboard. Awesome phone but Sprint always finds something minor to screw up imo.

They should of asked for both versions.
    Thick? The Samsung phone is 0.56 and the Evo is 0.50. On screen keyboard is still there with swype whatever that is for those that like typing on glass.
    http://now.sprint.com/epic4g/?ECID=vanity:epic4g
    Thick? The Samsung phone is 0.56 and the Evo is 0.50. On screen keyboard is still there with swype whatever that is for those that like typing on glass.
    Sprint | The Now Network | Samsung Epic Coming soon
    I said the Evo is as thick as I would want to go....obviously swype is there but why do I need to waste the space with a keyboard that I will never use.

I will wait to see it in person but I am fairly jealous of the T-Mobile version atm.(Minus the fact it has no flash)
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I love having a keyboard espeicially for chatting or typing emails etc. Onscreen keyboard is just too slow and I have to be careful. The best thing abou tthis though is that super screen. When you look at that screen then look at your EVO you will realize how poor the color is on it. It also has a powerful GPU.
    I love having a keyboard espeicially for chatting or typing emails etc. Onscreen keyboard is just too slow and I have to be careful. The best thing abou tthis though is that super screen. When you look at that screen then look at your EVO you will realize how poor the color is on it. It also has a powerful GPU.
    Actually I am partially color blind so idk how true that is. I agree though the screen will probably be more amazing and the GPU on it will make 3D gaming a lot better. Its an awesome device with a small flaw in comparison to the Evo.

I actually am hoping they release the Galaxy tablet that was talked about in news. Iirc it had the 7" screen and would be decent for multimedia if they include all the awesome extras they are giving in the phone.