View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 150 of 182 FirstFirst ... 50100140145146147148149150151152153154155160 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3633
    webOS, the pretty OS not enough people use to even make much of a dent in anything.

Android, the supposedly plain OS that's making leaps and bounds daily.

What's wrong here?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    webOS, the pretty OS not enough people use to even make much of a dent in anything.

Android, the supposedly plain OS that's making leaps and bounds daily.

What's wrong here?
    because unlike what some people say on here, its not about silly things like color depth. its about apps, a great ecosystem, and speed.- three things the pre has failed at (let's be honest here)
    Also it's about making yourself relevant in the mainstream.

Let's say you do want a "pretty" OS. The ones who do often use iPhones, and are not exactly flocking to webOS. Why? Failure to make webOS a relevant household name, that's why.

You know what's plainer than Android? RIM. And you know how well they're doing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    For all the reasons you mention you may as well have a greyscale screen. As for me, I noticed quite a bit of difference loading up the same high resolution images in the Pre and EVO in a side by side comparison. And just to be sure I asked my telecom sales coworkers which screen colors looked better and every single one pointed to the Pre without me throwing any hints.
    I knew someone would comment about black and white screens, thus the need to put in that small comment about penny arcade comics. It wouldn't look that good without the colors
    At this stage of the game I don't know how anyone can recommend a webOS device to the average user. They are both dated in Sprint or Plus form, and how Sprint is still selling the basic ones is beyond me. It's an insult. The average user doesn't want to deal with homebrew and patching no matter how simple people on here make it seem, and it's the only way either phone is worth its salt.

And I don't care if a hi res photo looks better on the Pre than the Evo or any other phone. There are certain features that need to be good enough and there are certain features (or lack of them) that are deal breakers. I want the screen to be good enough. I don't need Super AMOLED. Would I like it? Sure.

Topic change:

Looking at the new Moto X, I will say I will be a little annoyed if it is a superior phone to the Evo in build quality and such. That comparison will bug me because the Evo is supposed to be this landmark "first" phone. And if Moto's comes out a month later and has a more solid build, better processing, nicer screen and so on; I'll look at HTC like, "what the hell guys?". Getting outdone a month later by your competitor because you cheaped out in a few places...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Looking at the new Moto X, I will say I will be a little annoyed if it is a superior phone to the Evo in build quality and such. That comparison will bug me because the Evo is supposed to be this landmark "first" phone. And if Moto's comes out a month later and has a more solid build, better processing, nicer screen and so on; I'll look at HTC like, "what the hell guys?". Getting outdone a month later by your competitor because you cheaped out in a few places...
    Well, HTC's doubled down on Snapdragon, just like they did on those 528mhz Qualcomm chips, which is kinda a shame. The TI OMAP chips are clearly superior, and Motorola was smart to make them the foundation for their Droid line.

I think the screen has more pixels (854x480 vs. 800x480), but it's not going to be a significant difference the vast majority of the time you use the device.

See for yourself: Droid X Gallery

Who knows on the build. The Evo has 4G, kickstand, Sense and a front-facing camera. The Droid X has a better processor, a supposedly better onscreen keyboard, Blur, and will probably get Froyo first. I'm pretty sure Google sees the Droid X as their top line device for now, all things considered. But you can't go wrong with either.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    At this stage of the game I don't know how anyone can recommend a webOS device to the average user...
    Easy, if they've never used/had a smartphone or had something before like windows mobile it's totally new metaphor, easy to use and intuitive . Seems like an easy and logical choice to me.... how do you not understand that?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    because unlike what some people say on here, its not about silly things like color depth. its about apps, a great ecosystem, and speed.- three things the pre has failed at (let's be honest here)
    I don't think it's failed at apps. Sure it doesnt have as many as Apple or Android, but the gaming is still awesome on it. Soon we will be able to watch streaming videos via flash on websites, etc. I have most of the apps I want on it. Color is important to me if I play games on a device. I hate seeing color banding.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, HTC's doubled down on Snapdragon, just like they did on those 528mhz Qualcomm chips, which is kinda a shame. The TI OMAP chips are clearly superior, and Motorola was smart to make them the foundation for their Droid line.

I think the screen has more pixels (854x480 vs. 800x480), but it's not going to be a significant difference the vast majority of the time you use the device.

See for yourself: Droid X Gallery

Who knows on the build. The Evo has 4G, kickstand, Sense and a front-facing camera. The Droid X has a better processor, a supposedly better onscreen keyboard, Blur, and will probably get Froyo first. I'm pretty sure Google sees the Droid X as their top line device for now, all things considered. But you can't go wrong with either.
    What I don't get is how does a developer make games or other apps for so many different phones with so many different specs? Or do they cater to the lowest common denominator? So now we have two android phones with different CPU's. How will that affect gaming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    What I don't get is how does a developer make games or other apps for so many different phones with so many different specs? Or do they cater to the lowest common denominator? So now we have two android phones with different CPU's. How will that affect gaming?
    Well, I think all of the higher-end Android phones use chips with the Cortex A8 architecture, but with different customizations (Samsung's Hummingbird, Snapdragon, OMAP). The GPUs are the most significant difference, and despite the OMAP/A4/Hummingbird GPUs being mightier than the Snapdragon ones, I don't know of any apps that are truly pushing any of those GPUs to the limit yet.
    I don't think it's failed at apps. Sure it doesnt have as many as Apple or Android, but the gaming is still awesome on it. Soon we will be able to watch streaming videos via flash on websites, etc. I have most of the apps I want on it. Color is important to me if I play games on a device. I hate seeing color banding.

I play games on my evo all the time, and watch videos, don't see color banding. If it were really an issue don't you think engadget or gizmodo would have an article about it by now?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    If you into gaming do not bother with EVO. Snapdragon is not good for gaming since it lacks a dedicated GPU like the Pre or Motorola Droid. I tried Asphalt 5 on the EVO and the game ran in slow motion compared to how smooth it runs on the Pre and Moto Droid.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I play games on my evo all the time, and watch videos, don't see color banding. If it were really an issue don't you think engadget or gizmodo would have an article about it by now?
    I have seen color banding. Look at a high quality photo and you will see it. Color banding wasn't my main issue but just how dull the colors looked and some images didn't have proper black levels so looked like they were missing details. When I looked at the same image on the Pre everything was clear and I could see every detail.

Can the HTC EVO 4G's 65k color limit possibly be upgraded to 16m colors through root - Page 2 - Android Forums
    one of my friends just bought an evo.. he was shocked at how much better the colors were on my pre.. even more shocked when he played tiger woods golf on my pre... the evo comes no where close to doing the things my pre can. not to mention the screen separation issues on the evo. today he proudly showed me his new pre plus
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I have seen color banding. Look at a high quality photo and you will see it. Color banding wasn't my main issue but just how dull the colors looked and some images didn't have proper black levels so looked like they were missing details. When I looked at the same image on the Pre everything was clear and I could see every detail.

Can the HTC EVO 4G's 65k color limit possibly be upgraded to 16m colors through root - Page 2 - Android Forums
    i guess you have amazing vision, I definitely don't see any banding...color could be better but i'm over the pre, it could have a 900bit color and its just not a deal breaker for me or most people, apparently

i personally cant tell a big difference between 16-24.

On paper, 65k colors and 16.7 million colors sounds like a night and day difference, no?

but in reality, the difference is minimal

also the evo screen is 4.3 inches, these pictures would be like looking at a 15inch+ screen.
    Last edited by kbritt31; 06/25/2010 at 09:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    You really expect to spot the difference my looking at those pics on your PC monitor that is 32 bit? I had the EVO and I saw the difference just by browing the web. When I change my Pc monitor to 16bit everything looks so bland and I could see banding. Also changing my display to 16bit shows the color banding in some of those images. Something I cannot see when set to 32bit. People on that thread also confirm color banding

I don't think you have moved on since you are still on precentral every day.

I've put the pics on my Evo, and the gray color-scale shows very sharp banding, which is very disappointing to me... The Lighter pic does show banding in the halo, but it's not terrible.

All in all, I love this phone, but do wish that the display had been 24 bit (or at least 18 bit)!

http://www.svohra.com/web/grad.jpg
    http://wallpapers.jurko.net/widescre...paper_2656.jpg
    Last edited by jamex; 06/25/2010 at 10:35 PM.
    You really expect to spot the difference my looking at those pics on your PC monitor that is 32 bit? I had the EVO and I saw the difference. hen I change my Pc monitor to 16bit everything looks so bland and I could see banding. Also changing my display to 16bit shows the color banding in some of those images. Something I cannot see when set to 32bit
    the program used for those photos loads up 24bit color pictures and sees how they'd look in various other bit schemes. In other words, I could load an 8bit image on a 32bit monitor and still see that photo as if it were 8 bit.

and of course you can see banding on your computer screen lol, it's what, 15+ inches vs. 4?
    All in all, I love this phone, but do wish that the display had been 24 bit (or at least 18 bit)!
    according to the pros, the difference between 18 bit and 16 bit is negligible so you would be disappointed again
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    according to the pros, the difference between 18 bit and 16 bit is negligible so you would be disappointed again
    Do you know what a quote is? It's not my words but someone that posted in the thread I linked. I thought that would have been obvious. Actually my netbook has a 10inch or less screen. The difference is not negligible imo. Like I said the fact that I noticed something was wrong just by opening a web page says a lot. I was looking at a pic of Obama in the news and it just lacked detail in the dark areas. Could barely see anything. Pulled up the same image on the Pre and it was super clear.