View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 148 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4898138143144145146147148149150151152153158 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 3633
    The galaxy has nice specs but I hate landscape keyboards and the reviews say its crapppy plastic. Still a nice phone.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I never had a phone with landscape keyboard but I would take landscape over no keyboard any day. It also has software keys. Don't care if it is plastic or not all I really want is that super active matrix oled. I also read the camera is pretty good but not interested in that. Nice that it plays xvids. I really like the pre but since I have yearly upgrades I might as well use it.

I tried the evo but it didn't satisfy my standards. This will save me from converting videos.
    Last edited by jamex; 06/20/2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I assume you're not in a 4G area then?
    I live in San Francisco, where 4G is currently being rolled out. However, I just did a cross-country trip with the Evo and I hit several areas that had 4G and didn't notice a huge drop in battery life.
    Landscape keyboards are actually easier to type on due to keys having more room BUT very hard to one hand type. I had the HTC Touch Pro and it was nearly impossible to do anything in landscape with one hand . thats my reason for not likcing landscape mode. Otherwise if your not a one hand typing guy then there is nothing wrong with Landscape keyboards and they are better then horizontal keyboards. Now the crapppy plastic comment was just in reference to Samsung phones. (The Moment etc) they ( only from what I read, never owned one) are bad build quality. I read some of the post of the other samsung phone at Android central and the perception is really bad build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I never had a phone with landscape keyboard but I would take landscape over no keyboard any day. It also has software keys. Don't care if it is plastic or not all I really want is that super active matrix oled. I also read the camera is pretty good but not interested in that. Nice that it plays xvids. I really like the pre but since I have yearly upgrades I might as well use it.

I tried the evo but it didn't satisfy my standards. This will save me from converting videos.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Only thing is the touchstone at this point.
    That problem has been fixed too.

How to mod HTC EVO 4G to work with Palm Touchstone wireless charger
    I can fly, but I'll make typos if I'm not looking especially with the correction. If you're not looking it can choose the wrong word for you. With a hard keyboard, muscle memory often has me more accurate than correction when I'm not looking. Correction can get worse every time it saves some abbreviation, slang or what not. Because they get added to the dictionary and can throw off corrections if you mean to type a certain word that happens to go along with one of those saved abbreviations.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I can literally type on an iPhone & Evo without even looking at the keyboard almost typo free.
    I don't miss the touchstone. In the car I had to build it up to get the right angle and it just looked clunky. On the nightstand I had to do the same thing so I could see it while I was lying in bed. The whole fixed angle of it can often negate it's usefulness. Shame it wasn't a two piece that could rotate to change the angle from flat to 60deg. A three piece would be perfect. One flat where the USB jack is (so you can orient the cable any way possible) and two angled that go from flat to 60. Have a center set screw you can tighten down to fix the angle, and then some industry standard mounting back for car use.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/20/2010 at 08:47 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    That problem has been fixed too.
    The average user cannot wait to solder some points and void their warranty in the process.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How did Palm officially respond to initial Pre build quality issues? I remember the cracking plastic was the first biggie.
    Honestly at this point I can't even remember if Palm 'officially' recognized any issues at all..?
    I recall a "second wave" of Pre's that were supposed to have a better build but issues still continued. Actually, I remember the battery not quite fitting and people would quickly lose connectivity and the phone would reset or stop working. They did start releasing phones with the little foam pad that pushed the battery in tighter. (okay there's one)

Oreo effect, light leak, prox sensor not working, keyboard lights going out or being inconsistent, cracks all over especially from the charging door, slider scratches, speaker issues, etc. etc. were never fixed or addressed to the degree like HTC is attempting to do. They immediately responded to customer complaints and have made efforts to changing their manufacturing process to correct their hardware issue(s), as well as updating the seemingly weak WiFi signal. Mine still sux especially since the last update.

"As for the "issue" of some Evo screens slightly separating from the bezel, Engadget was told it's a cosmetic defect and shouldn't interfere with operation of the phone, that instances are not widespread (listen to our latest podcast for more on that), and that HTC's tweaking its manufacturing process to eliminate future separations."

Knowing Verizon and newly AT&T users are still experiencing the same or similar issues as the release date models is such a bummer. At least they got the Plus version and for a much cheaper price. Anyone else here remember paying over $320 out the door with a $100 rebate for Sprints 8G/less RAM version with a new contract?

Oh ya, by the time Verizon got it they made the keyboard more "snappier" and less "gummy" but that really wasn't an issue.

Ah well, I'm still stickin it out with WebOS and have faith in the new merger in all areas of hard/software. 4G is now in my city so I'm just getting all the more anxious.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    keyboard still sucks even on the Plus versions. It's just a better version of suck. Figure they would've learned something with the Pixi out there. Pre's keyboard makes my fingers hurt.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    keyboard still sucks even on the Plus versions. It's just a better version of suck. Figure they would've learned something with the Pixi out there. Pre's keyboard makes my fingers hurt.
    thats just a matter of opinion, i love the pre keyboard
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    LOL that was amusing..

I am quite content with my gummy version.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    opinion yes, but I rarely see the word love used with the either Pre keyboard. The words "adjusted" and "works fine" get used a bit. It's when you lack comparison and have used it for awhile it does well because you've forgotten what else is out there. Use a Pixi for five minutes and you realize the difference.

I try to amuse. It's all for affect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @bpdamas

That is well thought out and articulate. I hope you will post back when you have answers to things like how email works without Synergy, how exchange sync works, etc. That's always interesting. Also how you adapt to the soft keyboard, etc.

And especially interesting will be what the homebrew community is like. I've found that the Crackberry gang isn't very passionate, and the Android gang is a little to impressed with themselves. Let us know what you experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I will definitely post back when I get the phone. It might take me a few days to get an overall impression with these items but I will update how it goes. I have a feeling I am definitely going to miss WebOS but not enough to be ****ed. All that means is that when Palm comes out with a phone with similar hardware and a farther along OS, I will be back.
    Well, after having the EVO for a little bit now, I must say that I am enjoying it. The screen is amazing and I have had no problems so far with the phone. Everything is very snappy and there isn't lag with anything. One thing that I like about the snappiness is that when I accidentally call someone, I can actually hang up right away by pressing the end button. This wasn't the case with my Pre.

Also, the apps on Android is what is making me like it even more. I can now finally log into my computer at work from my phone using the beta logmein app for android. It just seems like the development side of Android is farther along and it is surprisingly nice. I didn't think I would care but if your phone can't do something, it is nice to have options for apps. Overall I am extremely satisfied.
    Ok....my best friend who isn't really big on keeping up with tech and my girlfriend wrote emails today on an email chain i have with some friends.regarding the Pre. This is the issue Palm has. Again both of these people aren't techies (i set their phone up for patches).....but these are emails unedited:

Russ:
    Weekend was a success!

Friday: had a half day so I grabbed a few drinks at An Beal, and saw Toy
    Story 3, which was unbelievable. I cried like the last 20 mins straight.
    Grown *** fathers with their kids were letting them shed too. It's the
    best of the series easily I think. Then I went to Westchester for Tom's
    BBQ and that was fun except for all the people who still thought icing was
    something to do. I don't like it at all, but dammit if I don't respect
    rules.

Saturday: Hungout with my nephew who was being awesome and showing off all
    his new tae kwon do moves. He threatened to pull off my fingernails and
    when asked why he replied "because i'm weird!" Then I went home got bored
    and drove back up to riverdale with declan to go to An Beal for my
    co-workers beed. Fiona met up with us and we had a nice time.

Sunday: went to Franklin Park cause they have a really good World Cup
    Special. Burger, Fries and Stella for $10. Then got to the final boss
    level for Super Mario Bros.

my boss is going to be out for the next like 2-3 days which is great.

and Doug, my pre is giving me **** again. If it makes it past today I'll be
    surprised. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Evo
    i'm having another HARDWARE issue..

the phone thinks i have headphones in but I don't so it basically ONLY works
    in speakerphone mode. if i put headphones in it still wont work...i've done
    tests and downloaded apps to correct it, none of which work. i bought a air
    can to blow out the dust etc and still will maybe work for like half a call
    and then revert back to headphones, and now it's just not working period. I
    can get a swapped out phone easily, but part of me just thinks if I have to
    swap out a phone twice for hardware issues, I just get the monster phone and
    call it a day

PALM. step your phones up.
    and from the GF:
    ANGELA:
    Russ, my Pre has been giving me **** since the day I got it. I HATE
    it. I can get a new phone on July 1st, but I'm going to wait until
    the 11th bc Best Buy is selling a white edition of the Evo and it's
    pretty. The Palm Pre is a piece of ****.

Again, average consumers dealing with the crappy hardware....these two people know little about the Evo outside of what i've told them but just the fact they dislike the hardware issues with the Pre is testament to what Palm really needs to focus on.
    I just wrote an email telling my friend a tip to fix the headphone issue of the Pre he wrote back:
    RUSS:
    it's been 48 hours now...it used to work and now it's not working at all.
    and it just leaves me wondering, why the **** am i sitting here like an
    ******* with a phone that has a great interface and OS, that I can never use
    cause the physical phone is a piece of dog****.

it's also the longest day of the year today!
    That headphone issue is very, very bad from my point of view since I use phones as MP3 players. But if I pull the headphones out, I'd still like to use the phone. Also Palm had this problem on Treos and apparently didn't address it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There are way to many hardware/slight software issues for an average consumer...bottom line.

The iPhone is popular because it generally has solid hardware and say what you say but the OS is refined and works well and is also straight forward.

WebOS is striaght forward but general consumers do not want to deal with too many cards errors with one ap open...worse off..when tis a stock app like the browser. Normal consumers do not want to patch their phone. So the issue comes is if Palm is lacking hardware power for the techies...and are lacking refinement for the general consumers.

How are they going to grab any significant marketshare with any of these?
    Today I went into the Sprint Store to have my second Palm Pre since launch checked out. The first one was great with the exception of the headset jack hardware malfunction, and lasted me almost a full year. I got my replacement about 4 weeks ago I believe and now the USB port is bad. While I was at the store having them look at my phone I looked at the EVO and loved it. However, I am very hesitant to leave Palm because of the great things they supposedly have in store for us. So, former Pre users who switched to the EVO, was it worth the switch? What are some pros/cons about the Evo and the Pre (both with the hardware and software) and which would you suggest I use? I'm due for a $75 rebate in July, so is it worth $275 or should I just stick it out with Palm? I want everyones opinions from Pre users and Evo users alike.

Feel free to email me at 2fast4u2113@gmail.com
    Countdown to merged in 3...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    2....1....Merged