View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 145 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4595135140141142143144145146147148149150155 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    i installed swype on my EVO 4g, best typing tool ever. I wish I could install it on my pre lol. only need one hand and it's alot quicker.
    You ain't lying. I just installed it on my moment and it makes typing a breeze.
    I'm often called a liar when I say can get almost two days off a single charge on my Evo. Proof:

Yes, that says 18 hours since last charge, and I'm sitting at around 65% battery. And yes, this is on the stock battery. Only thing I've done is disabled some background syncing or change the frequency at which things sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm often called a liar when I say can get almost two days off a single charge on my Evo. Proof:

Yes, that says 18 hours since last charge, and I'm sitting at around 65% battery. And yes, this is on the stock battery. Only thing I've done is disabled some background syncing or change the frequency at which things sync.
    How you get your android system run so low. Mine is around 90%.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    How you get your android system run so low. Mine is around 90%.
    It all depends on the services and applications that you use. If you have Sense to do a lot of syncing in the background I believe your Android system will b ea lot higher.
    Dude how in the world do you get 18hrs. I an get around 10- 12 hrs on a charge . was the phone in airplane mode . wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Not really the same thing, with moving to folder, you can only label it once. On the GMail app, you can assign multiple labels to an email.
    Oh I see. I rarely need to do that so it's not a big deal for my needs. Good to know though.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Dude how in the world do you get 18hrs. I an get around 10- 12 hrs on a charge . was the phone in airplane mode . wow.
    The biggest thing.. making sure no apps are syncing in the background (facebook, twitter, email, etc.)

Next, is setting up Sense (under Accounts & Sync) to sync things like Facebook (I have mine set to contacts only) once a day versus the default every hour. I have Google set to only sync calendar and contacts, and the weather is set to sync only every 3 hours versus every hour. I also have news and stocks disabled to sync.

Basically, I have my phone set to minimally sync when not in use so I get tremendous standby time. I can easily get 20 hours of moderate usage (that includes texting, facebook, playing a few games and browsing the internet). I can get around 10 hours with heavy usage (phone calls, a little hotspot, etc.).
    Wow. That's BS. hero and moment both got 2.1, leapfrogging 1.6. Keep might get 2.2. All 2010 release phones from HTC will at least get 2.2. The N1 is shipping with 2.2 in SE Asia soon which means local ones won't be far behind. The TMob phones all got 2.1. Outside of Samsung screwing Behold 2 owners with 1.6, your argument is baseless.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    One of the biggest flies in the ointment for me is that they don't update their OS for the current devices. You shell out your cash for a great device that becomes outdated by a new device wit the next gen of your OS..
    For those complaining about gmail on webOS, what do you expect? Gmail is Google is Android. Of course it gets better treatment on there than elsewhere. My problem with Android stems from that. Give other webmail the same treatment they give gmail. Vanilla Android doesn't even have IMAP folder support. Sense provides that, but you still don't get push which is what most of us want without having to use gmail as a conduit. Bad enough I use gvoice as a conduit for my normal Sprint vm.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/17/2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I am definitely sticking with the Pre unless sprint releases a device that attracts me. I am eligible for an upgrade right now but none of their current phone are for me. The EVO comes with a huge screen that cannot display colors accurately. I have noticed color banding on it due to it being 16 bit. The software keyboard isn't going to work for me either.

Basically the Pre does everything I need a phone to do. Not too interested in applications or even games. Interested in browse, email, chat, calendar and music and the pre does all these tasks just well. Also love the touchstone. My Pre sits on it all day at work. I really hope the next Palm device has a horizontal keyboard also and not a vertical one.
    dude. you keep repeating yourself. we get it.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I am also sticking with the Pre for now. I don't see what people see in the EVO and I am sure they will all regret it sooner or later. I mean when I look at the EVO screen I don't see the attraction. yes it is big but at the same time dull. Android also looks like it's an 8bit color OS.
    gets old, doesn't it? I'd still like to see real use banding issues. I don't look at test patterns on my phone all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    dude. you keep repeating yourself. we get it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I don't get it either. Solid faster hardware, more stable OS (for now at least), and more functionality (probably for quite a while). Who the heck wants that? God, can't believe I'm stuck with this thin monstrosity that lets me work on my office documents, see live info at a glance, watch media easier and use apps I won't see on webOS for awhile.

And the kicker, we're stuck with regret for a whopping year. Wow, just have no idea how I'm going to live with myself while watching Palm get back on track and see if they can bring something to the table that's worthy of being stuck in another 1yr contract with them. I mean we're talking about a phone, not a decision to move cross country for a job or getting married. This is just a phone right?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I don't see what people see in the EVO and I am sure they will all regret it sooner or later. I mean when I look at the EVO screen I don't see the attraction. yes it is big but at the same time dull. Android also looks like it's an 8bit color OS.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    HA ha you make it seem like Sprint wouldn't get other phones before a year. My problem with EVO isn't so much the OS but more the hardware. yes I have looked at pictures and videos on the EVO and can see color banding. if you don't know what color banding is look it up. I have seen other people on Androidcentral confirm that they also see some color banding in high quality photos. That issue is caused by 16 bit displays. I could care less about front facing cameras, HD recording or even an 8MP cam. I don't care about document editing or any of the applications. I never use those functions or have any interested in them. I tried to use IRC on the EVO and boy that was a pain. The keyboard took up half the screen and it just works better on the Pre. I would like to use my upgrade since I get one every year but it has to be a phone that has the things I like.

Android has advantages and disadvantages. It's much faster than Webos and has many more applications. One of the things I really didn't like was the notifications. I like being able to see who emailed or send me a text without opening anything. But like I said by main grype with the evo is the hardware. The multitouch isn't as smooth as the Pre either and people are already complaining about some sort of grounding issue.
    Last edited by jamex; 06/17/2010 at 08:57 PM.
    I'm going to disagree about the apps. Just because you don't use them and don't need document editing, doesn't mean others don't. And I believe there are Android apps that tell you who sent a message. On my particular phone, I can tell the subject without opening the email. And Handsent tells me the SMS message with phone number in a pop up. I believe it will also tell you if it was a contact who sent the message.

But I do agree 16bit is very disappointing on a phone like the Evo.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Any Sharp big screen owner is familiar with banding, and unless it's extreme it's usually not visible during normal viewing.

And it's great YOU wouldn't make use of the additional functionality, but there are many who would, or have you missed the many threads on here complaining about document editing?

Other phones within a year will be what....WP7 or Palm. Well if you're a prehugger you'd never go to WP7 and their limited form of multitasking. That would just be sacrilege. Palm? Well we're probably going to see a winter release of something, and then possibly a 2nd phone this time next year (pure speculation if they go with two form factors). So again, what is the big deal? It's just a phone.

Grounding? Had similar problems on my Pixi, and there were threads about it here. Screen getting jumpy, touches registering elsewhere. Same thing. Haven't seen it on mine, and mine sits on the screen rests of exercise equipment where it would always affect my pixi.

30fps issue: getting worked on by HTC and will be fixed in an update.

Keyboard? Personal preference. Software keyboards are what they are. And like document editing on here, there are many that are clamoring for a slate webOS device so many that love their hard keyed phone would've jumped ship to the Evo had it been running webOS. I type just fine on screen even though I prefer a hard keyboard. And I'll take the trade off of losing screen real estate while typing by being able to scroll with ease and precision via the cursor keys. A feature sorely lacking on webOS.

Not mentioned before, but I have the ability to cut and paste in more places as well which makes things easier. But if you're not document editing, you're probably not finding benefit in that either.

Messaging. Handcent has a pop up that will show you the text message and allow you to reply to it without leaving the program you're in. No card shuffling or anything.

Notifications, you do get to see from who and what it is as it goes across the top bar. So you get more info than you would in webOS. If it's a solo message you can see it in the notification drop down. If you have multiples, it shows you have multiples. A touch more intrusive than webOS, but more informative. webOS should do the scrolling thing. That has actually been mentioned in threads here about what people want to see in webOS that is available in Android.

Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    HA ha you make it seem like Sprint wouldn't get other phones before a year. My problem with EVO isn't so much the OS but more the hardware. yes I have looked at pictures and videos on the EVO and can see color banding. if you don't know what color banding is look it up. I have seen other people on Androidcentral confirm that they also see some color banding in high quality photos. That issue is caused by 16 bit displays. I could care less about front facing cameras, HD recording or even an 8MP cam. I don't care about document editing or any of the applications. I never use those functions or have any interested in them. I tried to use IRC on the EVO and boy that was a pain. The keyboard took up half the screen and it just works better on the Pre.

Android has advantages and disadvantages. It's much faster than Webos and has many more applications. One of the things I really didn't like was the notifications. I like being able to see who emailed or send me a text without opening anything. But like I said by main grype with the evo is the hardware. The multitouch isn't as smooth as the Pre either and people are already complaining about some sort of grounding issue.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/17/2010 at 09:32 PM.
    Alright, so finally I went to the Sprint store and tried out the Evo.

It's a pretty device but I'm not going to get it. Why?

No physical keyboard - I hadn't realized how much I've gotten used to a physical keyboard. I can touch type sometimes if I'm walking with my pre (I know it's a douchy thing to do but I sometimes do it). There's none of that with the evo.

Camera isn't as good - The pre's camera really rocks. Low light is pretty bad, even with the flash, but I like having the pre as a backup camera when I don't have my digital camera. Plus it has video.

Lag - With the pre overclocked, it's nice and smooth. There's an odd lag on the evo.

Pinch zoom isn't accurate - I like the Pre's pinch zoom. On a browser, it zooms directly in the middle of where your fingers are pinching. Not on the evo. On the evo it just zooms in a strange way.

Multitasking - The pre freaking rocks at multitasking. There's nothing like it. I couldn't figure out how to see what's running and switch from app to app.

What's better about the evo?

Bigger Screen - The pre has a smallish screen.

Build quality and thickness - It's really built solid and it's nice and thin. The pre is somewhat flimsy.

More RAM - (I have a sprint pre) I don't like seeing memory errors, and I've recently been seeing them too frequently.

Just some thoughts... I'm sure a million people have already posted their thoughts, but I felt the need to post mine.
    Outside of the kinetic scrolling and such, the Evo is quicker in general nav, opening apps, and so on. The 30fps limitation will get fixed and scrolling and animation will then be as smooth or smoother than the Pre.

Multitasking? That's just ignorance of the OS and a lack of reading this thread where it's mentioned numerous times. To call it a negative doesn't make sense. Press and hold the home button. Heck, PalmOS had a similar function for recent apps which Android's shows active as well as recent apps. Makes going into a recently used app easier to start up again.

Pinch to zoom not accurate? It zooms in centered between ones fingers. Chalk that up to user error because I haven't seen that mentioned as a problem anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    Lag - With the pre overclocked, it's nice and smooth. There's an odd lag on the evo.

Pinch zoom isn't accurate - I like the Pre's pinch zoom. On a browser, it zooms directly in the middle of where your fingers are pinching. Not on the evo. On the evo it just zooms in a strange way.

Multitasking - The pre freaking rocks at multitasking. There's nothing like it. I couldn't figure out how to see what's running and switch from app to app.
    EVO laggier than the pre? LOL....my overclocked pre lagged all over the place (shouldn't HAVE to be overclocked in the first place). prehuggers can be so selectively blind lol

multitasking? you mean TMC, right?

waiting 30 seconds for a two line text email to open up? yeah no.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Outside of the kinetic scrolling and such, the Evo is quicker in general nav, opening apps, and so on. The 30fps limitation will get fixed and scrolling and animation will then be as smooth or smoother than the Pre.

Multitasking? That's just ignorance of the OS and a lack of reading this thread where it's mentioned numerous times. To call it a negative doesn't make sense. Press and hold the home button. Heck, PalmOS had a similar function for recent apps which Android's shows active as well as recent apps. Makes going into a recently used app easier to start up again.

Pinch to zoom not accurate? It zooms in centered between ones fingers. Chalk that up to user error because I haven't seen that mentioned as a problem anywhere.
    Thanks for the clarification, especially about multitasking and the 30fps thing. I still think pre's multitasking is better. It's more like a real computer.

I totally disagree with pinch to zoom. It's different on Android, but perhaps you're not as sensitive as I am when it comes to these things. It still works on Android, but not as nicely as on webos or iphone os.

Overall the biggest problems are lack of keyboard and not-so-good camera for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    EVO laggier than the pre? LOL....my overclocked pre lagged all over the place (shouldn't HAVE to be overclocked in the first place). prehuggers can be so selectively blind lol

multitasking? you mean TMC, right?

waiting 30 seconds for a two line text email to open up? yeah no.
    crogs answered why I thought the evo had more lag. I prefer WebOS's multitasking. I've never waited anywhere near 30 seconds for email to open.

I'm not trying to make a phanboy message, I'm just stating my impressions after having a Pre for a year. I'm sure I could get used to the evo, but I was expecting it to be different.
    yours wasn't bashing negative. It's just what this forum has come to unfortunately with this back and forth. Jumping down throats at the drop of a dime.

And kbritt, you better watch using my prehugger term. We use it too much, and it just might get banned along with the word it replaces