View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 144 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4494134139140141142143144145146147148149154 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 3633
    oh...I noticed the Evo Shmeevo thread lost the sticky and got closed. Since I can't "question" mods publicly, I can at least applaud Berd for being the voice of reason. It's a shame he's not around here more. Though it says something if the guy is still with his Treo Pro.

And even though the Evo is my main phone right now, I'm still looking forward to the improvements 1.4.5 and 1.5 will bring. I think 1.5 will be a pretty big deal and could breath some new life into the Pixi and make people long for a 3.2" Pixi. I'd still take that over the Evo if it was like the Dell Smoke...lean and mean.

edit...wow...a Pre owner had the nerve to create a thread pointing out Evo build issues? No wonder it got closed. Won't even go into all the blinders being worn in that thread.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/16/2010 at 09:55 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I went to the Sprint store and found out there's an additional $30 per month charge for using the wirless hotspot app on the EVO. I think I'll be just wine using that feature on the PRE for Free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Romathug View Post
    I went to the Sprint store and found out there's an additional $30 per month charge for using the wirless hotspot app on the EVO. I think I'll be just wine using that feature on the PRE for Free.
    Pre doesn't even have a wireless hotspot from sprint. Now if your talking about the non official way of getting it, then the Evo has that to. And just about every other phone does too.
    I love how people post negative crap just to bump up webOS when what they post isn't even true or just slanted.

My evo is already rooted and already running hotspot for free. Pay Sprint about $1600 plus a month with an extra line that just gets used as a holder and temp use. They'll live without the extra $30 from me.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I love how people post negative crap just to bump up webOS when what they post isn't even true or just slanted.

My evo is already rooted and already running hotspot for free. Pay Sprint about $1600 plus a month with an extra line that just gets used as a holder and temp use. They'll live without the extra $30 from me.
    Damn that a lot of money! Yea, they can live without $30 lol.
    Close to 20 smartphones, two broadband cards, an airrave and my Evo. So I guess it's $1800 for this month. Glad I just manage the account and not actually pay the bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Damn that a lot of money! Yea, they can live without $30 lol.
    oh...I noticed the Evo Shmeevo thread lost the sticky and got closed. Since I can't "question" mods publicly, I can at least applaud Berd for being the voice of reason. It's a shame he's not around here more. Though it says something if the guy is still with his Treo Pro.

And even though the Evo is my main phone right now, I'm still looking forward to the improvements 1.4.5 and 1.5 will bring. I think 1.5 will be a pretty big deal and could breath some new life into the Pixi and make people long for a 3.2" Pixi. I'd still take that over the Evo if it was like the Dell Smoke...lean and mean.

edit...wow...a Pre owner had the nerve to create a thread pointing out Evo build issues? No wonder it got closed. Won't even go into all the blinders being worn in that thread.
    What?? Did you say Berd is gone??? I thought he just posted yesterday or so!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    not gone gone. Just not very active. He's still sticking with his Treo Pro and doesn't get too involved around the webOS area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    I can do those things on my Pre. Move it to a folder on the Pre and it does the same in Gmail. Flag message on Pre and it stars it in Gmail.
    Not really the same thing, with moving to folder, you can only label it once. On the GMail app, you can assign multiple labels to an email.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22350 View Post
    I bought the EVO and returned it to go back to the pre.

Android OS is clunky and hard to navigate.

There are always extra buttons to hit, to get to the info you need.

The front facing camera only works on Skype and with other EVO users.

There is no Chat - SMS integration.

You can't control which applications remain open.

It is really big...... really big.

I think Iphone has picked the largest screen size that is comfortable to use.

and that's it
    Android isn't that hard to work with, its just different way of doing things than webOS. Instead of gestures you have buttons. Go back to home, press home, instead of swipe down for menu, press menu, back gesture replaced with back button. The extra button that I love, is search which is what I missed greatly on my Pre.

As of controlling which application remains open, you can do that too. I have Advanced Task killer set to kill any apps that isn't on my ignore list every 30 minutes. This helps greatly with battery life, double that what I get out of my Pre 16 hours of power user use (always listening with bluetooth to my podcasts/audible, music, web surfing, youtube, twitter, RSS News, texting). Even standby time is amazing.

The thing I do miss is the physical keyboard but thankfully the Evo has a great predictive text system.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I'm gone a week or so and this is all I missed?

People that switched that complain about things not working right when they don't know how to use their phone. Color banding? Wow...someone ran tests? It's a good thing I don't use my phone to run tests on a daily basis or I guess I'd be upset. Just like I don't watch color patterns and test screens on my Sharp big screen that supposedly has color banding issues.

$10 fee = no caps for bandwidth use. You could stream HD content all day long, do the torrent thing and so on with no slap on the wrist or extra fees. Is it BS? A little bit. If you don't like it, return the phone. But your next Palm phone will be 4g and have the same fee. Galaxy S Pro on 4g, yep, you're paying $10 extra. Build quality on the S Pro looks like crap with cheap plastic and a sparkled battery cover. Not to mention Samsung's horrible rep for supporting phones down the road. You'll probably never get past Froyo with it. Heck, the Behold II isn't even getting 2.1.

Pretty much every new premier phone requiring an everything plan most likely is going to be a 4g phone and cost you an extra $10. So you can either live with your Pre till the end of time or suck up the $10 and upgrade. Sounds like we're back to the SERO whining.

My quick rundown...

Email "handling" is still better on webOS. All types get equally good treatment. Swiping to delete is still nice. Integrated inbox is a plus. Where webOS loses is the ability to have separate icons for each email on my homescreen that shows me how many new emails I have. No need to goto notifications. Might contradict the integrated inbox, but during the day I care more about some accounts than others.

Multitasking? I don't see how people say it's soooooo much better on webOS. No TMC issues (having to homebrew with custom kernels doesn't count). I can sometimes get to programs quicker via the home button and selecting the app because if I had a bunch of cards to swipe through it's more steps going from left to right or right to left. Press and hold on the home button also brings up recent apps that might not be running so you still get quick access to apps that wouldn't have a card open so to speak.

Speed? My calendar, contacts and dialer all open quicker. Other apps have also, but it's been a week, and I don't recall which ones I did. I'll revisit though after the next webOS update. In general, everything is snappier on the Evo though, and I overclocked the Pre. The Pixi isn't even in the race. And I do own both phones. And I do look forward to the update we'll get in the fall that should speed things up a bit on both phones.

For people that complain about things taking more button presses, you obviously haven't customized your homescreens yet. All the things I use most are no more than a swipe and a press at worst. My agenda for the next two plus weeks is always visible on my home screen, color coordinated by work and personal. Sportstap has instant access to my sports scores. Friendstream makes it convenient to just zip through friends' updates on social sites to see if there's anything interesting to respond to.

Docs to Go....no explanation needed.

30fps? Hasn't meant much to me. But it will get fixed in a firmware update. Sprint and HTC are getting enough complaints about it.

Google Nav: for those not on Sprint is nice.

More voice activated options

And the size hasn't been a bit issue. I've got a minimalist snap case that fits like a glove, and it's fitting well in the pocket. I can type one handed on it no problem in portrait mode. And I have actual cursor buttons. Imagine that, a secondary way to navigate without having to move my finger across the screen which is never accurate, and I don't need to enlarge the screen to do it. Speaking of typing, I do it easily. I don't like not having tactile feel, but I'm still quick and pretty accurate with the stock keyboards. I do like putting the iphone keyboard on there with a little more space between keys, but you lose the cursor buttons always being there. I'd still prefer a hard keyed keyboard, but I don't see that happening in a phone this big.

Battery life has been better too. I've gotten through some busy days and haven't feared changing batteries and dealing with the downtime of a cold start. And speaking of cold starting....Evo...much quicker.

And the Pre's screen is nicer, but the Evo's is still pretty good and sometimes the amount of real estate can make all the difference. We are talking a full inch bigger here. The one disappointing thing is the lack of scaling in Android. I have this bigger, higher res screen and I'm still stuck with a 4x4 icon layout on the homescreen. I don't wear coke bottles. My vision is good. I buy a higher res display to fit more info on the screen at one time, not just make everything bigger. It kinda defeats the purpose. Give my a 5x5 layout on the home screen, and I'd be a much happier camper.

Pics just for fun...

I have just ordered an Evo, i love my Pre, but the speaker is going out and I am not about tostart messing with refurbs again. So If you don;tmind I have a quick question. You said your agenda is visible on your screen for 2 weeks ahead. Is that the regular calendar app? My biggest concern I think is how the calendar app functions. The stock one on the Pre was horriblebut allthe patches have made it amazing. Thanks for your input, this was a good description of the Evo.
    There are two really nice widgets called CalWidget (free) and PureCal (paid). They do the agenda thing. You can have it fill up as much of the screen as you want. I have it go 3 wide and 4 long. Leaves me one column of 4 for my main four apps; internet, Google voice, email and messages. You still have the normal app launcher and phone button at the bottom. And that is just the main home screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post

The thing I do miss is the physical keyboard but thankfully the Evo has a great predictive text system.
    i installed swype on my EVO 4g, best typing tool ever. I wish I could install it on my pre lol. only need one hand and it's alot quicker.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    See this is the problem with Android, alway being outted by the next, bigger, badder device. The Droid X With its 720P display. Wow. At least people shouldn't complain about lack of choice, there should be something to fit everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    i installed swype on my EVO 4g, best typing tool ever. I wish I could install it on my pre lol. only need one hand and it's alot quicker.
    Yeah Swype is amazing. Such a great way to type on this big screen.
    Also got swype and I never thought I could love a virtual keyboard more then a hard one But I would try to never go back to a hard keyboard again. Swype is amazing.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    See this is the problem with Android, alway being outted by the next, bigger, badder device. The Droid X With its 720P display. Wow. At least people shouldn't complain about lack of choice, there should be something to fit everyone.
    No 720p display unfortunately

The Droid X gets real on Verizon (update: 720p video capture, not display) -- Engadget
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    One of the biggest flies in the ointment for me is that they don't update their OS for the current devices. You shell out your cash for a great device that becomes outdated by a new device wit the next gen of your OS..
    Motorola and HTC do update. It's the carriers that hold things up.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    One of the biggest flies in the ointment for me is that they don't update their OS for the current devices. You shell out your cash for a great device that becomes outdated by a new device wit the next gen of your OS..
    That's why I always buy phones based on what they can do when I buy, any extra features from updates are just icing on the cake.