View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 139 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3989129134135136137138139140141142143144149 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 3633
    I had a chance to go back to the Sprint store today and got to play with the EVO a few min longer. First time I played with it... network wasn't working, so I couldn't try anything really.

Finally got the hang of Sense on Android this time. It's OK, but it can never be as fluid as webOS. There are so many things I like about webOS better, but you're probly using Android for the apps, right??

Gotta say... this 2nd trip just reaffirmed that I will keep buying phones with hardware keyboards. I like true hotkeys, commands. I must have as many hardware buttons as possible.

BUT!! The Google Voice search or whatever was something I don't think I can live without much longer. That is something that smartphones were born to do... but not the Pre. It doesn't need microphone access 'sept to make calls.

... sigh...
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    For the people that switched to the HTC why do you keep returning and posting on Precentral? Why not join Android Central? Do you plan to argue EVO vs Pre forever?
    And what to do if I have both and I like both?
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    For the people that switched to the HTC why do you keep returning and posting on Precentral? Why not join Android Central? Do you plan to argue EVO vs Pre forever?
    TBH, you're just too fun!
    First let me start out by saying I have been following this website since I purchased my Palm pre at launch.I think this is one of the most level headed communities I've been involved with. I really enjoyed the phone, of course anyone comming from windows mobile 6.1 would.Yes I was a touch pro user, that is until I figured out that windows mobile was just like other microsoft products, a let down. I did enjoy many aspects of windows mobile. Alot of the features of use were cool when they worked:
    • Voice Command(rarly worked)
      TouchUI
      over all responsiveness for the first 3 days
      VNC connectivity
      verity of apps
      open development
      well established community and home brew

Altho the hardware and OS were lacking.
    • unresponsive touchscreen,
      laggy os
      while many apps were around to add functionality, many of them were independently developed and lacked a professional polish.
      Over all bad OS

I had already switched to Linux based OS's for my main computing habits, so WebOS was a logical choice, Linux powered and had multitasking. I also assumed, because linux is vestal, apps would just fly out. But then the API was pretty much strung out along a period of time that left everyone just tapping their thumbs with a glorified, half full html rendering, blackberry.( the phone i used before Touch Pro.) I can understand that just like android and iphone the API takes time to develop and get decent apps out. However, I cannot understand the fact that palm knew that these 2 OS's were more developed and didn't hire more man power to tighten the screws on WebOS and ramp up over all development. Its like putting a puppy fetus in a pen of cute puppies, its ugly and bloody undeveloped. Palm knowing this couldn't of thought that the fact that they were palm would exuse this. Also the fact that they basically ****ed on sprint customers by releasing the palm pre plus 6 months after pre was released, which is basically like them saying we messed up the hardware sorry sprint "waves hand". *knocks elbows with verizon*

If that wasn't bad enough the over all functionality of WebOS was very shotty:
    • No VNC support.
      No voice command
      OS hangs.
      forget the kodak moment ( camera startup)
      Undeveloped
      They sold it to a company that didn't buy it for the smart phone aspect. I can tell pre development will be getting better. hahah yah right.
      apps feel like 1995 HTML websites.

Evo: Yes I have joined the the masses and switched. Evo is bassically like IPHONE OS + a Linux based WM.(basically because its as open source and versatile) Google backing the OS and open source Development of the os is basically a locomotive of well developed well oiled OS machinery.Also the Google community is already MASSIVE. This phone is supe snappy, Multi tasking works great. Hardware is current, even ahead of the times. Froyo will make it alot better. Apps are awsome, Augmented Reality is awsome. Most importantly I am not waiting for the OS. It is as fast as my command input.

While I understand the fact that WebOS is still young, I cannot excuse palm for dropping the ball on almost every aspect of business to the customer and carrier. I am sad for WebOS because it a neglected pet project of a failed company. WebOS developed by another company would be great, however the recent press releases of HP make me think that the Smartphone aspects of WebOS will be put on the back burner while they rape it into a printer OS. OO why not just build printers into desktops, HP, but i digress. SmartPrinters are gonna be awsome. AHAHAHHAHA.

I hold no bias towards any OS. I like them all. Iphone has its high points, WebOS has style and connectivity points, Windows Mobile has its points (sometimes), Blackberry has its simple business point. While android seems to be able to do a great majority of the above OS's and maintain a smooth apple like experience.

No matter wat anyone says, there is absolutely no reason to use a PalmPre over the EVO other than simple preference of content presentation and control of said content and presentation. Android runs circles around WebOS in every aspect, from wifi switch on/off times, to copy and paste ease, and start up times are awesome. I still like WebOS presentation and style, dont get me wrong. Android just delivers on what I think a phone should.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    And what to do if I have both and I like both?
    I'm in the same boat as you. I opened up a new line to test out the Evo and need to decide which one to keep before the 30 day worry free guarantee is up.
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Well well, glad to see that after being conditioned, my Evo is now a great power device. At first was sad to see my Evo battery last as long as my Pre (which at first I thought was nice seeing how the Evo was not conditioned yet for the battery while the Pre was) and here I am happy to see thats what happen. When at first it would get through about 7 hours of normal use (though normal for me might be Heavy Use for a lot of people, heavy BT playback of music/podcast/audible books, web, twitter, email, text etc) now it goes through 14 Hours. Happy..Happy, Joy joy! It seems that at the end of the 30 day trial, I'll be keeping this big ol battery device
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    My buddy who I got to purchased the pre when it first came out, decided to go with the Evo this time around. He was frustrated with the pre's reliability and the slowness of the OS. The sub par battery life made our favorite smartphone unusable when he needed it the most.

After playing with his Evo I'll have to admit he made the right decision. The Evo is super fast and very responsive to user input. The hardware construction is solid and the device is just well made in every aspect. It is also one of the better looking phone on the market.

Navigation

I thought navigating the Evo single handedly would've be a chore. But it was surprisingly effortless. I was able to reach all areas of the screen with else. I guess this is untrue for people with smaller hands. So I guess the Evo is a man's phone or for women with manly features due to its size.

With the Evo, you have to go through multiple steps to perform tasks that can be perform on the pre in a single step. But the phone is so responsive that it's not a deal breaker.

Conclusion.
    Playing with a device so well made makes me hate palm and ultimately my pre. Yes I got my Sprint Pre overclocked and it is noticeably faster, but I still get those annoying "TMC" errors making my phone unusable when I need it the most.

Am I leaving my pre for the Evo? Hell no. I love webOS too much to give it up just yet. But Iím not staying around if Palm/HP next device performs anything close to my Pre or is just as poorly made.

I am not now jealous of Android. Because I now know for a fact phones running android (2.1 and upcoming 2.2) are better than those running webOS.
    well its nice to know ur still sticking with webOS and all even though u already made it clear u want to switch, but anyways good for u. i completely disagree with u on the aspect of android but its ok
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

You can solve your TMC errors by installing Unixpsycho's new kernel

Remember that HTC have always been able to put 100% of their resources into building hardware, because they get their OS for free. Palm on the other hand was struggling for cash yet had to split their resources into creating an OS and hardware alone. So it's no surprise that HTC have better build quality. Now that the finance issue is alleviated and HP can help with the hardware, things should be looking up.
    @oldie I am unixpyscho's compcahe kernel and I have no more TMC errors and it is still blazingingly fast.
    hell yeah - the new compache kernal is slice bread...

seriously install it
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I'll give unixpyscho's compcahe kernel a shot.

All am saying is that the next device is able to truly compete with the best the industry has to offer without resorting to patching. Hardware got to be solid and OS has to be fast responsive.

I really do want webOS to be around, and for that to happen I had to buy first gen phones (pixi for my wife) to keep cash flow coming in to palm. I'm not going to keep supporting a company or a cause that fails to pay dividents (quality products).
    I have an EVO. Nice phone. But webOS just works better; Email and browsing.

I would kill for webOS to be on a slab like the EVO.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post

that has to be up next for the new HP/Palm, right?
    I played with the EVO a coupe of times last week and quite liked it, but not enough to move off the WebOS..
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    A lot of us go some time back with T|C.
    Diva has been here for many years.

I like to ask questions about other devices here at T|C because I get the viewpoint from Treo/Pre owners.

I guess we could just as easily post in crossplatform chat over at Androidcentral.
    In fact there is a thread there also:
    AndroidCentral -EVO vs Palm Pre/Android vs WebOS
    I prefer to ask my comparison questions here at P|C \ T|C
    Indeed. Some of us go back quite a few years (*cough, cough... VisorCentral... cough*)

I have done my share of evangelism for Palm's products and I think I've been more than fair and balanced with the advice I've given. No platform is perfect... not webOS, nor Android, iOS4, Windows... whatever they're calling it..., Symbian, Blackberry, etc. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Ultimately, the OS is really secondary to the REAL choice that has to be made: Does the phone DO what I need it to do WHEN I need it? webOS has a very nice user interface metaphor for multitasking. It's hard to beat that. Palm got that part very right. Good work Matias.

Other aspects haven't been as well baked, but webOS is growing and learning. I, however, have no qualms about checking out Android. It has grown enough to meet my needs NOW, so why not check it out?

My reasons for checking out the EVO:

• My tired eyes are growing even more tired on the Pre's small screen. Don't get me wrong. I love the Pre's outdoor readability and overall display goodness, but don't let anyone tell you otherwise, size DOES matter. If the Pre had a 3.7" display, I could live with that.
    • The EVO is available on Sprint. Price matters and Sprint is where it's at with regard to competitive pricing. Further, I get great coverage with Sprint, and have had no problems with customer service. No reason to leave.
    • Android has grown to the point where I can comfortably find whatever app I need to replace what I lost on PalmOS, Windows Mobile, AND webOS.
    • The hardware quality. While I had no problems with my Pre's build, I'm not blind to the fact that the Pre could use a serious rebuild with a better grade of materials. The EVO's build quality is superior. To say or think otherwise is just to deny the truth.

So with all that said, one might ask "Why not get an iPhone?" Ha! Personally, I have no problem with the iPhone itself--the iPhone 4 looks to be a great phone and the app availability is without question unmatched. ...BUT... I refuse to be subject to Steve Jobs' draconian, "treat people like idiots" ways. I like to do things "above board" and jailbreaking a phone just so that I can do whatever I want with it, is not my cup of tea. Enough said on that.

So, I'm going to try out the EVO and hang on to my Pre. I'll see how it goes. That's one of the great things about technology: There are often many options. I like to exercise mine from time to time.

Oh, and this is NOT a "good-bye" post. I'm just spreading my wings. After all, I'm not called Inspector Gadget for nothing.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I never thought I'd see you get something else. You seemed to be a big Palm fan, Lupe. You too, Inspector Gadget!!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/12/2010 at 02:47 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post

I agree completely! I got an EVO and whole heartedly agree webos is a FAR superior os. Way more user friendly and simplified. Switching between inboxes for e-mail sucks, switching between applications is clunky at best, the calendar on the pre surprisingly enough is way better, I could go on and on. The hardware is the ONLY thing better about th EVO. Gimme EVO hardware with webos & android apps & id be one thrilled camper!

Oh and the pre community with dedicated Homebrew support is hands down superior!
    Yup I couldnt have said it better. Also from the Visor Central dayz. I have been a huge Palm guy for 1 decade. Still have the Palm Pilot and Handspring devices. My first cell phone was the Visor Phone ( visor Prism with the attachment) But I feel like you . I wanted to try something different and with Android coming a looong way I now have apps for every thign I could do on the Pre and I wanted a bigger screen. I kept the Pre and gave it to my son . While I am with Android for now I wait in anticipation to see if HP has a new device out next year. and might even get it to play with while I enjoy the EVO. I honestly think the EVO is terriffic. But I still got a soft spot and always will for my beloved Palm OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Indeed. Some of us go back quite a few years (*cough, cough... VisorCentral... cough*)

I have done my share of evangelism for Palm's products and I think I've been more than fair and balanced with the advice I've given. No platform is perfect... not webOS, nor Android, iOS4, Windows... whatever they're calling it..., Symbian, Blackberry, etc. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Ultimately, the OS is really secondary to the REAL choice that has to be made: Does the phone DO what I need it to do WHEN I need it? webOS has a very nice user interface metaphor for multitasking. It's hard to beat that. Palm got that part very right. Good work Matias.

Other aspects haven't been as well baked, but webOS is growing and learning. I, however, have no qualms about checking out Android. It has grown enough to meet my needs NOW, so why not check it out?

My reasons for checking out the EVO:

• My tired eyes are growing even more tired on the Pre's small screen. Don't get me wrong. I love the Pre's outdoor readability and overall display goodness, but don't let anyone tell you otherwise, size DOES matter. If the Pre had a 3.7" display, I could live with that.
    • The EVO is available on Sprint. Price matters and Sprint is where it's at with regard to competitive pricing. Further, I get great coverage with Sprint, and have had no problems with customer service. No reason to leave.
    • Android has grown to the point where I can comfortably find whatever app I need to replace what I lost on PalmOS, Windows Mobile, AND webOS.
    • The hardware quality. While I had no problems with my Pre's build, I'm not blind to the fact that the Pre could use a serious rebuild with a better grade of materials. The EVO's build quality is superior. To say or think otherwise is just to deny the truth.

So with all that said, one might ask "Why not get an iPhone?" Ha! Personally, I have no problem with the iPhone itself--the iPhone 4 looks to be a great phone and the app availability is without question unmatched. ...BUT... I refuse to be subject to Steve Jobs' draconian, "treat people like idiots" ways. I like to do things "above board" and jailbreaking a phone just so that I can do whatever I want with it, is not my cup of tea. Enough said on that.

So, I'm going to try out the EVO and hang on to my Pre. I'll see how it goes. That's one of the great things about technology: There are often many options. I like to exercise mine from time to time.

Oh, and this is NOT a "good-bye" post. I'm just spreading my wings. After all, I'm not called Inspector Gadget for nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I never thought I'd see you get something else. You seemed to be a big Palm fan, Lupe. You too, Inspector Gadget!!
    Well, like I said, I'm not opposed to checking out other platforms if they meet my needs. I played with the EVO and liked what I saw.

But I'm still holding onto my Pre and look forward to future webOS updates.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Yup I couldnt have said it better. Also from the Visor Central dayz. I have been a huge Palm guy for 1 decade. Still have the Palm Pilot and Handspring devices. My first cell phone was the Visor Phone ( visor Prism with the attachment) But I feel like you . I wanted to try something different and with Android coming a looong way I now have apps for every thign I could do on the Pre and I wanted a bigger screen. I kept the Pre and gave it to my son . While I am with Android for now I wait in anticipation to see if HP has a new device out next year. and might even get it to play with while I enjoy the EVO. I honestly think the EVO is terriffic. But I still got a soft spot and always will for my beloved Palm OS.
    Yes, I have fond memories of my VisorPhone and my Palm V. Haha!
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint