View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 137 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3787127132133134135136137138139140141142147 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about. Your post is quite obviously merely sour grapes. The evo smashes the outdated pre's offering. This device is cutting edge. Accept it.
    With the iPhone you have limited data plans on an already slow as molasses network. No 4g either. You have to pay extra for navigation whereas with sprint everything is included and its unlimited. No removable battery either .... what were you saying about outdated specs? Pfft. the iPhone has nice specs but when you consider the cost of service plans as well as the speed and overall feature experience, the evo takes it from both the iPhone AND obviously palm. Hdmi output, 8mp cam, 4g, huge screen with voice search integrated with Google mapsand gps just to name a few? Dude please. Sit down. Lol
    I'm not comparing phone plans, but actual phones. I'm from Canada so our plans are relatively the same. I get free navigation through a five minute hack on my Pre as well as free tethering through hotspot. My data is unlimited. I'll give the camera to the Evo even thought he software to edit the photos is inferior. 4G is just a battery kill and not worth the extra speed... just look on the android forums. As for the guy who said the Atari ST had 64K ram... ummm it was 512K Ram, and it had a 16-bit color pallete because I used the painting programs on it. My apologies.. the Atari ST was released in 1985.. so that makes it 25 years ago. Ok ok so we have HDMI output... nice.. 800x600 video playback on HDMI output. If the Evo is so superior, I guess we will see when the sales figures come out compared to the new iphone. So we have the Evo with 4G that no one has, an 8mp camera which is completely useless since it's sensor is so small a 99 dollar point and shoot would take better pictures, a paltry gig of internal ram with the rest relying on expensive SDmicro cards which are slow. 64K color screen pallet which is 25 year old technology.. hello.. 24 bit has been around for 4 years now. As for the removable battery, well since the battery life is so much better than the EVO you don't need a spare external battery. And then we have the wonderful 3D gaming on the Evo compared to the iPhone and Pre.. i'll just leave it at that. voice search is just a gimmick that on one will use. I'm not bitter at the EVO.. why should I be? I'm just pointing out the facts. So i guess the only thing the EVO has going for it is 4G which kills the battery, and a larger screen which makes the phone awkward to carry around in your pockets. Oh and the HDMI which allows for your 800x600 videos to be displayed on a tv.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Interesting happening over at engadget. They had an actually very unbiased comparison of the EVO and the iphone4 with a poll that has been up most of the day and not too long ago it has been pulled from the site, nowhere to be found with all comments deleted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Im not sure if this is why they deleted it but Engadget has developed a short fuse when it comes to commenters. And I don't blame them. Nowadays then you just can't praise a product without someone calling you a shill (As seen on PreCentral). So no matter how fair a Product vs Product article is, someone is going to feel personally insulted and eventually it becomes a comment war that focuses more on people than products.
    It's really too bad.
    It happens so often here also.
    People make replies like:

'You don't know what you're talking about.'
    'You have no clue'
    'My device crushes yours'

It's like they want it to escalate to a flame war. Possibly to add a little excitement to their life living in their mother's basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    It's really too bad.
    It happens so often here also.
    People make replies like:

'You don't know what you're talking about.'
    'You have no clue'
    'My device crushes yours'

It's like they want it to escalate to a flame war. Possibly to add a little excitement to their life living in their mother's basement.
    Keyboard Warriors need to have a sense of entitlement to their fanboyism.
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 06/10/2010 at 01:49 PM.
    Perhaps there's a reason why the Evo is $450 full price. They may have cut some corners. 16bit screen and weaker wifi radio? But then that's a good price for a CDMA no contract smartphone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    ... Most PC's after also had this same limit since (guess the quote) "64K RAM is all that anyone could ever need, more than enough!"
    Bill Gates has gone on record denying that he ever said that. And it was 640k, not 64k.
    Okay, I weakened and went to the Sprint store to check out the EVO. I didn't buy, but not because I didn't like the phone. I actually like it. Sprint is sold out, so that removed temptation.

My initial impressions:

The phone is quite large compared to my Pre, but that actually doesn't bother me that much. It is the price you pay for a larger display. That display is nice. Granted, I have large hands, so the size isn't as much a factor for me.

The feel of the hardware is solid. No creaks or flexing. It has a good heft to it and doesn't feel cheap at all.

Sense UI is what I expected. It operated smoothly and the EVO was FAST. I experienced no lag and pretty instant feedback. The capacitive buttons and on-screen keyboard have haptic feedback (which you can turn on or off). I found that the virtual keyboard was pretty good. I could type on it fairly well... but then I had prior experience with the Touch Diamond (a much smaller screen), so the EVO's virtual keyboard was a breath of fresh air by comparison.

I liked the voice-to-text searching and the widgets. You can certainly customize this thing to your heart's desire. There was no 4G service at the location I was checking the phone out, so I wasn't able to get any impressions on that.

The rest is Android. Love it or hate it, I haven't worked with it long enough to praise or condemn it, but I could see myself getting used to it.

Now, the hard part... Trying to wait to see what Palm/HP do.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Perhaps there's a reason why the Evo is $450 full price. They may have cut some corners. 16bit screen and weaker wifi radio? But then that's a good price for a CDMA no contract smartphone.
    Or maybe they're the first company to actually charge a FAIR price for an unsubsidized phone. I just don't get how an iPod Touch costs $179 but an unlocked iPhone is $699. Maybe Im wrong, but can a 3G antenna, Camera and Speaker really cost $500 extra or are they just price gouging to encourage more contract renewals? Because the costs of ANY unsubsidized cellphone just seems excessively expensive.

So in some cases I could see a big benefit in buying an unsubsidized EVO and not renewing your contract.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I second this!

the few things needed still:
    sim card slot for international travelling,
    offline gps turn by turn navigation

htc needs to continue this trend. I'd be happy to be able to buy something on that level especially when I need a backup

Or maybe they're the first company to actually charge a FAIR price for an unsubsidized phone. I just don't get how an iPod Touch costs $179 but an unlocked iPhone is $699. Maybe Im wrong, but can a 3G antenna, Camera and Speaker really cost $500 extra or are they just price gouging to encourage more contract renewals? Because the costs of ANY unsubsidized cellphone just seems excessively expensive.

So in some cases I could see a big benefit in buying an unsubsidized EVO and not renewing your contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    yeah a screen that big @24bit color would be EXPENSIVE. Getting an EVO for the same price as i paid for the pre is AWESOME. I remember when the moguls and touch pros were 300 AFTER contract.

displays are still the most expensive components of electronics (cost 750 to get my macbook display replaced)
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    thinking over my last post and before I search.

does android have offline google maps or offline navigation?

There's others. Palm no contract on AT&T is a good price. Makes me wonder where Verizon gets $600 from. The Backflip is inexpensive and so are it's T-Mobile cousins. Also unlocked GSM can be found cheap(well reasonable anyway), not all are $500+. Gray market mainly though. But Amazon and some others are pretty decent as authorirized sellers. Even Nokia knocked a lot off some of it's unlocked phones.

I agree that Apple is out of control charging that much for a locked GSM phone. Your phone is not unlocked at $700 unless you "tinker" with it yourself.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Took this with the Evo just a few minutes ago:

its funny how nobody cares about a certain feature until apple tells you its important to you. now the talk is all about screen quality? like 80% of u knew EVO was 16bit before you looked it up. like i said the pre could have 90 million colors, we see where that's gotten it.

the pre succeeds where it apparently doesn't matter. the market has responded and still doesn't care about cards, color depth, "mulititasking", synergy, etc. it's sad but true...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    its funny how nobody cares about a certain feature until apple tells you its important to you. now the talk is all about screen quality? like 80% of u knew EVO was 16bit before you looked it up. like i said the pre could have 90 million colors, we see where that's gotten it.

the pre succeeds where it apparently doesn't matter. the market has responded and still doesn't care about cards, color depth, "mulititasking", synergy, etc. it's sad but true...
    I've been saying this all along, the market doesn't really care about multitasking, it's just an added bonus if it's there.

I use my sister as the perfect example quite often, because she lacks every possible knowledge about technology yet she LOVES her iPhone (as does the rest of my family who often call me for things like their DVR failed to record, what do they do now?!).

I asked my sister (as a test, lol) if she wanted multitasking on the iPhone, her response: "what's that?" I replied with, "you can do multiple things at once" ... her: "uhmm, I can already do multiple things at once, watch..." as she proceeded to show me how she txt's, facebook, etc.

It's her type that Apple is largely successful with when it comes to simplicity. The other small niche's are largely due to the fact of the success of the app store and beautiful UX that they deliver.

Palm nailed a lot of things right with WebOS, but sadly they got a lot more wrong. I generally always say that a good UI/UX trumps everything, but WebOS kind of proved me wrong there as I find more often than not due to its sluggishness, terrible hardware and lack of applications that it's damn near impossible to use sometimes.
    I don't really think that the market actually has spoken on those subjects, because most people still have no clue about the existence of the Pre in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I've been saying this all along, the market doesn't really care about multitasking, it's just an added bonus if it's there.

I use my sister as the perfect example quite often, because she lacks every possible knowledge about technology yet she LOVES her iPhone (as does the rest of my family who often call me for things like their DVR failed to record, what do they do now?!).

I asked my sister (as a test, lol) if she wanted multitasking on the iPhone, her response: "what's that?" I replied with, "you can do multiple things at once" ... her: "uhmm, I can already do multiple things at once, watch..." as she proceeded to show me how she txt's, facebook, etc.

It's her type that Apple is largely successful with when it comes to simplicity. The other small niche's are largely due to the fact of the success of the app store and beautiful UX that they deliver.

Palm nailed a lot of things right with WebOS, but sadly they got a lot more wrong. I generally always say that a good UI/UX trumps everything, but WebOS kind of proved me wrong there as I find more often than not due to its sluggishness, terrible hardware and lack of applications that it's damn near impossible to use sometimes.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Took this with the Evo just a few minutes ago:

Well... I think I might have to concede that the EVO actually has a better camera.

Typically more MegaPixels doesn't necessarily mean a better picture... but in this case, I think the EVO has the better camera. The Pre is still ridiculously good for a phone... but I think the EVO takes the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    yeah a screen that big @24bit color would be EXPENSIVE. Getting an EVO for the same price as i paid for the pre is AWESOME. I remember when the moguls and touch pros were 300 AFTER contract.

displays are still the most expensive components of electronics (cost 750 to get my macbook display replaced)
    Displays probly are the most expensive. But they're not as expensive as you'd think.

I had an ASUS laptop that I purchased from PortableOne... and it came with a Trans-Reflective screen (as seen on the Treo 650, 755p, & more than likely the Pre, too). The guy at PortableOne told me it would cost $350 to replace. Much, much better than Apple price... and much, much more product, too.

Trans-Reflective was the way to go. Pixel Qi actually realized that a Reflective screen with a hardware switch to turn off the backlight is the way to go. I'd have to agree after having seen tests.

The Eee Tablet will also be non-backlit reflective LCD. I'd prefer a switch to turn the backlight on/off myself.... but I'll take it without backlight no problem. Anywhere I'll be drawing or reading a fast-refreshing eReader.... I'll more than likely already have a light source around me.
    I went to look at the EVO today, at the Sprint store they didn't even have the EVO out. :\

I then went to a BB and they had a non working model. :\

It was bigger than I thought which at first doesn't seem bad, but being skeptical of the Android OS my thoughts were... Might as well get an iPhone (when it gets to Sprint) since... well... it still is better for internet browsing. : sigh : yeah... it's painful to call crApple worth getting.

Either way... I'll really miss Web OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I cannot speak for anyone else but I have never looked into the iphone but I am sure it supports true colors. I have always paid attention to color depth and take it into consideration because I live in NYC so like looking at videos or movies during the commute. So for me I would take a smaller screen that has true color over a larger screen that doesn't. If the EVO had 24bit I would still have it and would have got one for wife. I know it's not something that everyone cares about but for me it matters. I got an EVO but sold it on eBay I got it without using my upgrade and paid $300 so I am happy I did not use my u[grade. WHen I was browsing the web I noticed the colors were off so I knew something was up. Compared it to the Pre and it was a big difference then I found out it could only do 65K. It was a major turn off.
    so you're one of those types who watched 2 hour movies on a "true color" ipod classic lol