View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 135 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3585125130131132133134135136137138139140145 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 3633
    @orange_dog

Thanks for a great and helpful comparison.
    Almost a week since I broke up with my Pre. It was very hard at first as I found myself constantly starring at her sitting on my nightstand. As these few days have past, my grief is slowly fading. Although I miss her, I am hoping that one day we will reunite again. My new squeeze is much taller and wider, but she is also thinner at the same time and her appearance is often misconstrued as being too large. I can tell you for a fact that although Ev is bigger she feels ooh so good in my hands and even better in my pocket. She is well built and tight all around. I know that Pre had all my likes and desires but with the proper training I can have Ev doing things almost as good even if it does take her a little more effort to get it done. As of lately Ev has given me the best suprise of all and it is that she can wirelessly tether for me anytime I wish without having to buy her flowers or take her out dinner monthly. I will admit that I have a problem being faithful and I look forward to day when Ev can no longer satisfy me as I repeat my infidelities towards another better looking and better built piece of hardware.
    The person stating they needed unified inboxes, download the K9 Mail client from the Market.
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Im trying out the EVO for 30 days..

Initial reactions:
    1. The email clients available on Android are inferior to iOS and webOS version
    2. Notification system is not as good.
    3. Battery life is terrible.

Its also a little big, but I could live with that.

Really wish a faster webOS phone would come out, with an auto-focus camera. HPalm just lost all their brains though.. it's not looking so good.
    1. The email client on WebOS is pretty average. Are you comparing the gmail client or the normal email app? I am actually moving my AOL account to a new gmail account as i just prefer Gmail over AOL at this moment so i'll only be dealing with the gmail app.
    2. I find them VERY similar. You see it at the top instead of bottom. You pull up the drawer to see the notifications or you close the drawer to deal with them later. Could you elaborate what you like about WebOS notification more?
    3. Is the Pre battery life better?
    If I get an android phone it will likely be the Galaxy S on T-Mobile. 3G LTE 7.2mbps > 4G WiMAX 6mbps. That and tmobe doesn't charge an extra 10$ a month.
    when reporting battery live, could you please mention whether you areusing 4G or 3G? Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    when reporting battery live, could you please mention whether you areusing 4G or 3G? Thanks...
    I've reported substantially better battery performance with my EVO than with my Pre. I haven't been in a 4g area yet, so all of my usage has been on 3g.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Can you expand on the email client? Because I find the fact you say the WebOS client is better to be quite hilarious. Mainly because in an earlier post you said you sold it.
    I purchased the Google IO phone, and promptly sold it. Later I decided to try the phone again through Sprint, since I could easily return in in 30 days.

I've been trying HTC Mail and K9 Mail, both of which have their shortcomings.

HTC Mail:
    1. Does not handle HTML email very well.
    2. Does not support IMAP IDLE
    3. Cannot setup an mailbox prefix
    4. Cannot set different folders for Sent, Drafts, and Trash
    5. Does not show message preview in mailbox view.
    6. Notifications do not show the last subject/sender, only that you have new mail.

K9 Mail
    2. Does not show message preview in mailbox view.
    3. Buggy and odd behavior

Android tends to feel thrown together where webOS and iOS have put a LOT of effort to create a cohesive environment for their users.

I prefer the look and integration of HTC mail, but the notifications and in-ability to choose which folders to store your sent mail are very troubling.
    I purchased the Google IO phone, and promptly sold it. Later I decided to try the phone again through Sprint, since I could easily return in in 30 days.

I've been trying HTC Mail and K9 Mail, both of which have their shortcomings.

HTC Mail:
    2. Does not support IMAP IDLE
    3. Cannot setup an mailbox prefix
    4. Cannot set different folders for Sent, Drafts, and Trash
    5. Does not show message preview in mailbox view.
    6. Notifications do not show the last subject/sender, only that you have new mail.

K9 Mail
    2. Does not show message preview in mailbox view.
    3. Buggy and odd behavior

Android tends to feel thrown together where webOS and iOS have put a LOT of effort to create a cohesive environment for their users.

I prefer the look and integration of HTC mail, but the notifications and in-ability to choose which folders to store your sent mail are very troubling.
    Did you look at Touchdown? TouchDown™ Features

Also, Maildroid supports IMAP IDLE.

http://slideme.org/application/maildroid

You're talking about what doesn't happen, but you didn't look at the solution.
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 06/09/2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    1. The email client on WebOS is pretty average. Are you comparing the gmail client or the normal email app? I am actually moving my AOL account to a new gmail account as i just prefer Gmail over AOL at this moment so i'll only be dealing with the gmail app.
    2. I find them VERY similar. You see it at the top instead of bottom. You pull up the drawer to see the notifications or you close the drawer to deal with them later. Could you elaborate what you like about WebOS notification more?
    3. Is the Pre battery life better?
    1. I've not used the Gmail app, only HTC mail and K9 mail.

2. Having the notifications at the top usually lends you to having that "expand" arrow, since there are so many other system monitors. Putting the notifications on the bottom was an excellent choice by Palm.

2a. You cannot clear a single notification as you can in webOS.
    2c. You cannot have interactive notifications as you can in webOS, ie: pandora, foursquare, weather etc.

3. Im getting over 10% an hour with the EVO and light usage. I got somewhere around 4-6% an hour with the Pre. I was running the screen state governor.
    1. I've not used the Gmail app, only HTC mail and K9 mail.

2. Having the notifications at the top usually lends you to having that "expand" arrow, since there are so many other system monitors. Putting the notifications on the bottom was an excellent choice by Palm.

2a. You cannot clear a single notification as you can in webOS.
    2c. You cannot have interactive notifications as you can in webOS, ie: pandora, foursquare, weather etc.

3. Im getting over 10% an hour with the EVO and light usage. I got somewhere around 4-6% an hour with the Pre. I was running the screen state governor.
    Your points are mainly about notifications. You know I'd like to have a Start Button on Mac OSX, but.....
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Did you look at Touchdown? TouchDown™ Features

Also, Maildroid supports IMAP IDLE.

MailDroid | SlideME

You're talking about what doesn't happen, but you didn't look at the solution.
    Touchdown is for Exchange and/or ActiveSync only. I use IMAP.

I have not tried MailDroid, but will check that out now.

I know not of the solutions, I can only provide feedback on what I've used. Thanks for the links!
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Your points are mainly about notifications. You know I'd like to have a Start Button on Mac OSX, but.....
    Yup, I was answering the questions of the other poster.

Bottom line:
    Android needs a better mail client, power management, and refined notification system.. in my opinion.

Im going to give it another week or two. Just a bit worried what webOS has coming for it, but it's got a very solid foundation in a very limited timeframe.
    From all i read, Gmail mail client is miles ahead...meaning, if all you use is gmail....use Andriod.

Which fits my main use of my phone...Gmail. Notification you made a good point, didn't know you couldn't get rid of one notification. Also music control...i mean, you can have a widget...but def. not as seamless.

Thanks for the clarification...been eying the Evo ....good to hear impressions.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    i Have an evo and i must say that it is the best phone i have ever owned.. the keyboard is awesome!!! and thats from someone who has owned a pre since 6-6-09
    I am loving the evo and I am coming from 7 years of treos. This screen absolutely rocks. The browser is screaming fast.. upwards of 9000 kb/sec. The interface is gorgeous and interact switching is instant. The camera takes vivid photos- about on par with my stand alone Canon camera. The battery gets me through the whole day and I use the web ppretty heavily. Navigation is awesome - speaking "route to home" maps the directions to the house and even alerts you to traffic jams while offering alternative routes to avoid congestion. It's all included in sprints data plan. That is not the case with the iPhone.
    Unlimited data plus navigation included. Ill take this deal over the iPhone. Oh and 4g is a nice touch too.
    Just ordered 2 EVO today from Radio Shack, Will have them one week, HPalm draging there feet. I was hopful of the webos. but droid just rolled over hpalm. Maybe HPalm can help BP. cause they lost there focus!
    Anyone know how to transfer my contacts from pre to EVO?
    I am a web os lover who was blown away by the Evo. Still have my Pre but loving every minute of the evo. This is coming from a palm guy that goes back to the original palm pilot

Fred
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBorden629 View Post
    Anyone know how to transfer my contacts from pre to EVO?
    just add the google account that was associated with your pre and it will pull down the concats... thats what mine did..