View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 134 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3484124129130131132133134135136137138139144 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    I just got an evo yesterday as my work phone and here are what i consider pros and cons:

Pro's:
    - Big Screen (I use to think bigger screens didn't matter, well they do lol)
    - Live Backgrounds
    - Faster GUI
    - More Apps
    - Visual Voicemail
    - Speech to text
    - Speech to search
    - Front Mount Camera
    - Stirdier Hardware
    - 8 mp Camera ( Although it takes way better pics than pre and has zoom and focus, it's still not a true 8mp camera, my 7.2 sony cam kills this camera and that things is like 3 years old.)

Cons
    - Doesn't have webOS ;-)
    - Not as easy to multitask as webOS
    - Buttons on the bottom are too sensative Home, Menu, Back, Search (atleast for me)
    - SD Card under battery (this is stupid desing imo)
    - Emails- pain in the **** not as simple if you have lots of folders like i do, i have a folder for everyone and i have a rule to move emails to set folder. Phone doesn't seem to auto download them so i constantly have to click on their name to make sure it's up to date. I used to be able to click on the star next to them in webos and it would automatically update it.

That's my first day w/ it, so far i'd say, i really like it, every phone will have it's pros and cons. I still like my pre too (as my personal phone) and i hope they come out w/ something new later this year, that way i can upgrade my personal account to new webOS phone.
    Are you using the stock email app? You may want to use "Touchdown". It's far more robust than the stock app. There should be a trial version for it on the Market.

http://www.nitrodesk.com/dk_touchdownFeatures.aspx

Also for multitasking, use "Multitask Manager"

http://mobiputing.com/2010/06/multit...-task-manager/
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 06/09/2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Are you using the stock email app? You may want to use "Touchdown". It's far more robust than the stock app. There should be a beta for it on the Market.

Also for multitasking, use "Multitask Manager"
    Thanks for the info
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc View Post
    Does Android have a media player than will play MKV movie files from the card?

There several media players. There is one that will play MKVs. However, it's still in a beta stage and the performance isn't that great.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Its time to realize guys, the pre is dead...f'in dead...it never really performed the way it was sold to. Issues up the yin yang relatively speaking; I really wanted to like it, but sometimes ya gotta know when to say when. The EVO and Android are the future of Sprint, the pre became a joke phone in what...Oct. of 2009?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBro132 View Post
    Its time to realize guys, the pre is dead...f'in dead...it never really performed the way it was sold to. Issues up the yin yang relatively speaking; I really wanted to like it, but sometimes ya gotta know when to say when. The EVO and Android are the future of Sprint, the pre became a joke phone in what...Oct. of 2009?
    LOL. I wouldn't put it in those terms, but between the IPhone and the consistent advancement of Android/ Froyo/Gingerbread, it's not looking too good.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No snark, but where was the article? I saw nothing but regurgitation of the same talking points I see here and at Engadget and Gizmodo everyday.
    Not that it was new, but that it was published on a developer-centric site. This was a link at the bottom:

As much as Google’s Dan Morrill, open source and compatibility program manager in the Android team, might want to argue that “fragmentation” of the Android platform is “bogeyman, a red herring, a story you tell to frighten junior developers,” it’s also very real.

The problem with Android is two-fold. First, there have been six major releases of the platform in little more than a year and a half. No matter how you try to cut it, that’s an awful lot of revisions for developers, OEMs and customers to deal with.

The second problem is that according to Google’s own data, three of these revisions are still in wide use:

<<Version Table>>

Android 2.1 is the dominant platform, but Android 1.5 and 1.6 makes up form more than half of those accessing the Android Marketplace, and this of itself means that there’s already fragmentation of the platform.

But is this a problem? Well, I think that six major releases in the space of 19 months has been a problem. That pace of change speaks of Android’s geeky origins. For Joe Average, this created an ultra-confusing marketplace where operating system versions changed every few months. It also meant that compatibility issues were inevitable.

But this rate of change is not sustainable. Android chief Andy Rubin outlines how the pace of change is slowing down:

Our product cycle is now, basically twice a year, and it will probably end up being once a year when things start settling down, because a platform that’s moving — it’s hard for developers to keep up. I want developers to basically leverage the innovation. I don’t want developers to have to predict the innovation.

While this will help in the long term, in the short term it’s not going to make much of a difference. Fragmentation will always be an issue, but with careful management, new versions of the Android platform shouldn’t make the earlier version immediately obsolete.

As Android becomes more mainstream, the platform will have to offer owners, developers and OEMs more certainty - something that geeks won’t be happy with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    Probably been asked already, but I really don't want to go sifting through pointless thread after pointless thread or pointless post after pointless post so... Is the EVO's batt life any better than the Pre's? Realistic people... not "trolling".
    The first few days with the Evo were AWFUL.

Actually, with a few calls, random internet browsing, download a few apps, send 20-30 texts, I can last from 8:00 AM until 10:30 PM.

If I'm constantly on it, playing constant games, opening different things all the time, downloading tons of apps, texting/calling constant....this will obviously put a further drain on the battery, and I'd see this last about 5-6 hours. I don't have enough time during my day to accomplish killing the battery.

Somehow, the battery life is improving daily as well.
    I saw that, actually.

But the majority of American devices have official upgrades to 2.1 (2.2 isn't even officially out for the Nexus One). That's the Hero, Moment, Droid, Droid Eris, Incredible, MyTouch 3G Slide, Nexus One, and Evo4G.

There's your baseline as a developer. Furthermore, most of the frameworks are common to both that and 1.6, which is where the MyTouch 3G and G1 are at.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I saw that, actually.

But the majority of American devices have official upgrades to 2.1 (2.2 isn't even officially out for the Nexus One). That's the Hero, Moment, Droid, Droid Eris, Incredible, MyTouch 3G Slide, Nexus One, and Evo4G.

There's your baseline as a developer. Furthermore, most of the frameworks are common to both that and 1.6, which is where the MyTouch 3G and G1 are at.
    Froyo and Gingerbread Aim to End Android Platform Fragmentation | AndroidGuys
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlruss View Post
    It's funny how hung up people are on the screen size... bigger is not necessarily better... I bet the EVO would look like a dwarf next to the IPad, but that wouldn't make the IPad a better phone....
    http://forums.precentral.net/showpos...9&postcount=81

check out this article from tech crunch.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    LOL. I wouldn't put it in those terms, but between the IPhone and the consistent advancement of Android/ Froyo/Gingerbread, it's not looking too good.
    Ya, poor pre...already in the grave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post

If anyone is looking for a great article on "sensational journalism" that link will provide it.
    I got the Pre the weekend it was released and have been a huge fan of WebOS. It's still hands down the best mobile OS out there and I hope to return to it someday. My problems started a couple of months ago though when I gave my Pre an unintended bath; it hasn't been quite right since and I was irritated enough to get a new phone. I opted for the EVO 4G instead of waiting to see what happens with HP/Palm.

Good:
    • Hardware build is terrific. HTC makes a solid product these days.
    • Huge screen and nice 800x480 resolution. It's seriously impressive and makes web browsing a much improved experience.
    • It's really fast.
    • Gmail client threads conversations like gmail.com does.
    • Voicemail app is amazing. Shows you a list of voicemails, you click one and it plays immediately (no calling in and having to hear "You have two new messages... blah blah blah").
    • Apps... lots of them, and since I use it at work it's helpful that the help desk software we use, zendesk, has a native Android app.
    • Voice search for everything. Very helpful on maps.
    • There's just a lot more development dollars behind Android and this phone, including HTC's Sense... the environment just feels rich.
    • Speaking of Sense, I like it. It's nice to have a native "home" screen instead of having to run an app.
    • Predictive text entry is nice to have.
    • I can type faster on the EVO because the typing area is less cramped (though I'd still prefer the feel of an actual keyboard).
    • Native tethering.
    • Better camera (then again, my old LG Shine had a better camera than the Pre).

Not so good:
    • I really miss swipe-deleting e-mails from my inbox. Now I have to open them, hit the menu button, then hit delete. Annoying and inefficient.
    • WebOS unified inbox is superior. It was much easier seeing the summary list of inboxes (I have 4 accounts I use often) in WebOS, vs. Android where I have to click a drop-down box to switch between accounts.
    • I miss the banner notifications in WebOS.
    • It doesn't multitask like WebOS. Well, nothing does. I keep wanting to up-swipe to close apps and feel weird just hitting the home button, not knowing if they're truly closed or not. A few apps stay actively open in the background (so far I've noticed music and navigation do this), so you have to close them manually.
    • No touchstone charger. That thing was sweet.
    • Battery life isn't much better than the Pre.

I've only had it for a few days but this is what I've noticed so far. It's a little disheartening to see two key WebOS people leave for Google and Apple, but HP certainly has the resources to do something awesome with WebOS and give it the hardware it deserves. Hopefully they will accomplish just that so I can come back to WebOS later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post

Arrington's full of it.

I get, on average, 30% more use out of a battery run on the EVO than I did the Pre.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Im trying out the EVO for 30 days..

Initial reactions:
    1. The email clients available on Android are inferior to iOS and webOS version
    2. Notification system is not as good.
    3. Battery life is terrible.

Its also a little big, but I could live with that.

Really wish a faster webOS phone would come out, with an auto-focus camera. HPalm just lost all their brains though.. it's not looking so good.
    In before the move.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Im trying out the EVO for 30 days..

Initial reactions:
    1. The email clients available on Android are inferior to iOS and webOS version
    2. Notification system is not as good.
    3. Battery life is terrible.

Its also a little big, but I could live with that.

Really wish a faster webOS phone would come out, with an auto-focus camera. HPalm just lost all their brains though.. it's not looking so good.
    Can you expand on the email client? Because I find the fact you say the WebOS client is better to be quite hilarious. Mainly because in an earlier post you said you sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    I had the EVO for a couple days, but then sold it. Its just too BIG! Im dying for a Pre with a faster processor and auto-focus camera. Then I'll be happy for another 6 months. Right now I need a change though!! Like others on this forum, I feel it's going to be at least another 6 months before HPalm release a new phone :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Arrington's full of it.

I get, on average, 30% more use out of a battery run on the EVO than I did the Pre.
    Do you have 4G coverage?