View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 132 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3282122127128129130131132133134135136137142 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 3633
  1. #2621  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I am an expert when it comes to displays. There is no way the evo supports more than 65k colors and I refuse to have a device with less than 24bit true color. Looking at the same webpage side by side it's like night and day. Pre is crisp, sharp and colors look vibrant. Htc looks bland and colors look washed out.
    It's only 16bit..you're correct.
  2. #2622  
    That's a drawback. What's the iPhone's?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #2623  
    the pre could support 900 billion colors and it wouldn't impress anyone.

    anyways, the pre's screen is gorgeous and we see where thats gotten us...
  4. #2624  
    It matters to me since I was considering using Evo as a tablet replacement. Grrr... It's so hard now. Maybe I'll just spring for an N1 and call it a day. I think that one does have 24bit although there's a dispute over the true resolution.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #2625  
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    Can I get a fair review from a former Pre lover that switched to EVO?

    I like my Pre a lot, I've patch the hell outta it, I have invested much moola in apps and accessories. But seeing uncertain future of a new WebOS device, I'm "considering" the EVO switch. But I'd like a review from a WebOS user if the new Android device is worth it with pros and cons.

    This is still my first Pre since Sprint launch and it's tuff, but it has been through hell: Super Oreo with lots of lift, screen is scratched a lot, many cracks and the USB area is losing bits of plastic.

    Knowing that I might have to do the $100 Asurion replacement in the not to far future, I've started to thing more of EVO for for the $200.

    PS. I won't leave Sprint, been here for 10 years, ain't switchin!
    Right now I have both. My Pre is Pre+ so from the start I did not have to deal with TMC deal. "oreo", etc... My pre is Superkerneled to 800Mhz (so I still have double lls and pps, which does not bother me a lot), patched as far as I like.
    Evo pluses:
    Big screen - it easier to read e-mails and internet web pages - actual font is bigger.
    GPS is working very well, (which is a plus)
    Speed is obviously faster then Pre (like e-mail opening)

    Minuces: Notification is the light on the top left side of the device - it is it.., no pop up on the bottom to show what it is - text, mail, calendar - nothing.
    Without special applications there is no way to know what else is running on the phone, nor how many pages in browser are opened.
    There is no true multitasking per ce, you basically hopping from one app to another by means of the back button to the home screen and then open another one. However, there are applications that give you options to open another apps, without that tedious process.
    There are much more settings then in Pre, a lot more buttons to push, and menus to open to get somewhere (and no back or forward gestures)

    battery for now feels the same as Pre, which means hopefully it will be better.
  6. #2626  
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Right now I have both. My Pre is Pre+ so from the start I did not have to deal with TMC deal. "oreo", etc... My pre is Superkerneled to 800Mhz (so I still have double lls and pps, which does not bother me a lot), patched as far as I like.
    Evo pluses:
    Big screen - it easier to read e-mails and internet web pages - actual font is bigger.
    GPS is working very well, (which is a plus)
    Speed is obviously faster then Pre (like e-mail opening)

    Minuces: Notification is the light on the top left side of the device - it is it.., no pop up on the bottom to show what it is - text, mail, calendar - nothing.
    Without special applications there is no way to know what else is running on the phone, nor how many pages in browser are opened.
    There is no true multitasking per ce, you basically hopping from one app to another by means of the back button to the home screen and then open another one. However, there are applications that give you options to open another apps, without that tedious process.
    There are much more settings then in Pre, a lot more buttons to push, and menus to open to get somewhere (and no back or forward gestures)

    battery for now feels the same as Pre, which means hopefully it will be better.
    There are a lot of background apps running on the Pre that you need JsTop to see as well. Multitasking: Long press the home button. Multiple browser windows: push the menu button and click window, now you can see all of the browsers you have open (assuming stock browser).

    The Battery life feels so much better. I went for 14 hours on one charge and still had 15% left before I started to charge again. This was on moderate use. That is around 4-6 hours better than I got on my Pre.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7. #2627  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It matters to me since I was considering using Evo as a tablet replacement. Grrr... It's so hard now. Maybe I'll just spring for an N1 and call it a day. I think that one does have 24bit although there's a dispute over the true resolution.
    I did a side by side comparison of the Evo and Pre on a youtube video and the Evo does have a more muted look. Colors were not as warm, which is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker. The larger screen does it for me because it makes is much, much easier to read, which is very important for me since I will be using my smartphone to look up all sorts of medical info in addition to reading emails. Hopefully the next great phone to hit Sprint will fix this problem.

    Ultimately I don't think there is a single phone out there that is perfect. The Pre, Evo, iPhone 4, Galaxy S, Nexus 1 and Incredible all have their flaws and their bright spots. At the end of the day it is what matters most to you.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  8. #2628  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I did a side by side comparison of the Evo and Pre on a youtube video and the Evo does have a more muted look. Colors were not as warm, which is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker. The larger screen does it for me because it makes is much, much easier to read, which is very important for me since I will be using my smartphone to look up all sorts of medical info in addition to reading emails. Hopefully the next great phone to hit Sprint will fix this problem.

    Ultimately I don't think there is a single phone out there that is perfect. The Pre, Evo, iPhone 4, Galaxy S, Nexus 1 and Incredible all have their flaws and their bright spots. At the end of the day it is what matters most to you.
    Completely agree about the colors on the EVO, but the larger screen makes it something I can overlook, and if the EVO is the only screen you are using it starts to not be noticeable.
  9. #2629  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I did a side by side comparison of the Evo and Pre on a youtube video and the Evo does have a more muted look. Colors were not as warm, which is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker. The larger screen does it for me because it makes is much, much easier to read, which is very important for me since I will be using my smartphone to look up all sorts of medical info in addition to reading emails. Hopefully the next great phone to hit Sprint will fix this problem.

    Ultimately I don't think there is a single phone out there that is perfect. The Pre, Evo, iPhone 4, Galaxy S, Nexus 1 and Incredible all have their flaws and their bright spots. At the end of the day it is what matters most to you.
    Can you put up another link please?
  10. #2630  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    if the EVO is the only screen you are using it starts to not be noticeable.
    Yeah. You keep telling yourself that.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  11. #2631  
    I'm steering clear of the Sprint stores, for now. I know that if I go to one to check out the EVO and hold it in my hand, I'm going to want to walk out with one.

    I would rather wait and see what Palm/HP come up with (hopefully in time for Christmas). Whatever it ends up being, it had better be stellar. These smartphones are getting more and more powerful, and while some of the features may be fluff or fads, they are still feathers in their respective makers' caps, and like it or not, features (and good marketing) sell devices.

    I want to stick with webOS, but don't think for a moment that I won't go elsewhere if I don't see a future for the platform.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  12. #2632  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Yeah. You keep telling yourself that.
    The Pre's color depth is superior, there's no doubt about that.

    However, the superior screen size of the EVO more than makes up for any loss in color depth.

    Not to mention everything else about the phone itself. It is a real beast.
  13. #2633  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    The Pre's color depth is superior, there's no doubt about that.

    However, the superior screen size of the EVO more than makes up for any loss in color depth.

    Not to mention everything else about the phone itself. It is a real beast.
    Agreed.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  14. #2634  
    My wife received her EVO in the mail yesterday and I played around with it this morning. It is a big phone, in my opinion, and also heavy. After she put on the rubber case (which fit around the backside) holding the phone reminded me of when I used my Dell X50V Pocket PC PDA (for size and weight).

    Personally, I like the portability of my Palm Pixi, so I'm sticking with it.
    cohoman

    Palm Apps:

    jVault and jChecklist
  15. #2635  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    -Size and Screen. It IS big but not too big for me. The extra real estate makes surfing the web, reading emails and books a joy. Thing does weigh a lot more than I expected. I know some don't wanta phone this big but I would love a WebOS device this size. Advantage Evo.

    -Keyboard. I was surprised that I liked the virtual keyboard on the Evo. I acutally think once I was used to it I would type better on it than I do my Pre. The problem is not the keyboard but in how the keyboard functions with the device. On the Pre, if I want to search I just start typing. If im in the email app, I type and it knows what I want to do and where text goes. With the EVO virtual keyboard its just the opposite. You basically have to tell the device what you want to do THEN the keyboard can be brought up. Its necessary to get to whatever app needs the keyboard, including search functions, then tap on where the text would go THEN the keyboard pops up. I think all devices with a virtural keyboard should have a hard button that pops it up and off no matter what app you are in or what you are doing. Advantage Pre.

    -Speed. Evo was snappy but not noticibly more so than my overclocked Pre. In a 3g only town so can't comment on difference there Advantage (with overclocking): tie.

    -User interface and functionality. Big Advantage Pre -- and I was trying to be real open-minded. Wanted to see how i would just type in a name to call that person on phone. Took me like 4 screens and taps to get there and get keyboard up. (may be quicker ways but sure not obvious). The multiple launcher and card-type screens and the different formats for different catagories and apps and how the UI presents stuff is pretty confusing IMO. Not intuitive at all. I'm sure I would be able to figure it out but its not nearly as nice and clean as the Pre's cards and launcher screen. Wanted to "minimize" the web page I was on to access an app but then come back to same web page -- never did figure out how to do that. May be a way, but neither I nor store rep could figure it out.

    -Now for all of this stuff, there may be patches or apps that help out or better ways of doing things than I could figure out in an hour or so but the Pre OS is really much more elegant and intuitive than the Android flavor on the Evo.

    -So would I buy one to replace my Pre? Nope not right now. For one thing we are not in a 4g area and won't be probably until the end of the year so not worth the extra $10/mo. Moreover, while I would enjoy web-surfing and reading emails much more on the Evo and would actually consider reading a book on it, I believe my overall experiance would be less enjoyable than my Pre. Thus, I will wait out the next Palm device -- assuming there is one-- and see what it brings to the table. If it has bigger and better screen and is built better has a real Word Processing App and a few other tweeks, than I'm sure i will stay with Palm. If they take too long and/or there is no real upgrade in these areas, then I could see trying out the EVO or its successor after we get 4g in our area.
    Spot on, sir.

    I couldn't have said it better myself.

    I just don't like Android, or Sense, or whatever. I'm webOS 4 Life now. I was disappointed with the EVO, mainly the weight and Android.

    Perhaps webOS on a 3.7" vertical slider I could get down with. I thought 4.3" would be great... but 3.7" slider is where it's at. And, luckily, that's where all the rumors have been pointing.

    I will buy every webOS device until they aren't produced anymore (not likely with HP backing, now) or we all have webOS implanted in our brains in a decade or so. Seriously, the Rothschilds and the rest of their New World Order clan can implant webOS in my brain no problem. It's not the chip or tracking I'm worried about... It's the interface!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLogan View Post
    The multitasking is ok, not as good or elegant as WebOS, obviously. The card metaphor was probably one of my favorite things about the Pre, very intuitive.
    I am making it a priority of mine to run webOS on all my computers from now on. Especially my desktop. Ubuntu is looking a little stale compared to my pocket computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    My wife received her EVO in the mail yesterday and I played around with it this morning. It is a big phone, in my opinion, and also heavy. After she put on the rubber case (which fit around the backside) holding the phone reminded me of when I used my Dell X50V Pocket PC PDA (for size and weight).

    Personally, I like the portability of my Palm Pixi, so I'm sticking with it.
    Calling the phone heavy is an understatement.

    I got to play around with the Pixi in the Sprint store, and I was thoroughly impressed. I still like the Pre better, but only just barely. The Pixi's keyboard is just not big enough for me, and the clickiness is too loud for a sneaky-doer like myself.
  16. #2636  
    one thing palm needs to improve is the screen... they need to at least up it to 3.7....looks like a dwarf compared to the EVO...
  17. #2637  
    I remember one of the rumors around the next-gen device is that it will be a Pre-style slider with a 3.7" screen that's completely flush--no bezel. I'm not sure if that would work, but if they could make it happen I'd love to see it.

    I don't, though, want a slab, even if that limits the size of the screen. I love the Pre's form factor.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  18. #2638  
    yea im not gunna be greedy and ask Palm (a little company to make a 4.3in display) especially when they are going for the fat middle...but 3.7 is decent size
  19. #2639  
    <Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  20. #2640  
    my bad but i meant specifically the pre lol

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions